HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Ready for what?

That overpass will get you nowhere until the final leg to Robert Howlett is finished.

All the interchange for Topsail Rd. Northbound is on the North side of the overpass.
Right but maybe there is a reason they want to finish the overpass before opening the Kenmount-> Topsail Rd section. I dunno.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotr View Post
Why not go full on crazy and put in a tunnel for a Hyperloop that could carry vehicles between North Sydney and Port Aux Basques
The Laurentian Channel is very deep.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotr View Post
Why not go full on crazy and put in a tunnel for a Hyperloop that could carry vehicles between North Sydney and Port Aux Basques or something like the skates that carry cars that Elon Musk's Boring Company are taking about using in LA https://www.boringcompany.com. Something that would be an attraction in and of itself.

I don't think the route they're talking about for the fixed link would be long enough to get up the proper speeds for a Hyperloop, that's why I suggest the current ferry route. That's around 178 KM and the Hyperloop can do 200 Kph, so in less than an hour an you're here, 520 KM to Argentia, so a little over 2 hours and you could be in Argentia.

If it was something super crazy that was almost an attraction onto itself, then maybe it would attract people just to try and it and say that they were on a Hyperloop or whatever.

Crazy talk I know.
Woah now slow down. The Hyperloop is still in testing stages, and there are still a lot of questions as to about whether they're actually economically viable. Underwater hyperloops are just a thought right now; no one has done any research into whether they're possible.

Give it 50 years and the technology may be there. By then, there won't be anyone left on this island.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 11:43 PM

Update - sign now says Topsail Rd closure next weekend Apr 21-23 daytime.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Woah now slow down. The Hyperloop is still in testing stages, and there are still a lot of questions as to about whether they're actually economically viable. Underwater hyperloops are just a thought right now; no one has done any research into whether they're possible.

Give it 50 years and the technology may be there. By then, there won't be anyone left on this island.
That wasn’t ment to be taken so seriously.

Just coming up with crazy ideas that could also be somewhat of a tourist attraction.

If I was serious I’d have the engineering drawings all ready to go.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:01 PM
Historian & Exlorer

Link that VOCM shared explaining when Topsail will be closed and what to do for more info. Can't help but notice the lack of time it took for somebody to tag the new concrete..

http://vocm.com/news/weekend-topsail...shue-overpass/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoewoods96 View Post
Link that VOCM shared explaining when Topsail will be closed and what to do for more info. Can't help but notice the lack of time it took for somebody to tag the new concrete..

http://vocm.com/news/weekend-topsail...shue-overpass/
This something that the Provincial Gov. needs to get serious about, because municipalities do not have the legal teeth.

They should place cameras at these major overpasses, and sentences need to be a lot harsher IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 1:21 PM

Another roundabout planned for the Town of Paradise.

http://vocm.com/news/paradise-plans-new-roundabout/

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:07 PM

CBC reporter took some video/photos of beams being place on Topsail Rd overpass:

https://twitter.com/ryancookeNL/stat...86987791552513

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 7:09 PM

That didn't take long, I drove through Sunday around 2:00pm and all spans were in place. Finally, something done right.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Another roundabout planned for the Town of Paradise.

http://vocm.com/news/paradise-plans-new-roundabout/
http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...form=hootsuite

Not sure how to feel about this. It would really be the first test of a high traffic roundabout in St. John's area.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 2:30 PM

TGH Topsail Overpass via drone

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
I was disappointed that the drone video didn't follow the TGH roadbed all the way to Brookfield Road. I'm still curious what route it will take to meet up with Pitts/Goulds Bypass.
Anyone have any idea if there's any progress in this?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 12:47 PM

The only road work I see is the Topsail Rd overpass, which won' do anything to get the TGH open anytime soon. There's no construction activity south of Topsail, North of Kenmount, on the collector Rd to Empire or the round-about on Blackmarch/Empire/Redmond yet for the year. Also no tender announcements for this year's work.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
The only road work I see is the Topsail Rd overpass, which won' do anything to get the TGH open anytime soon. There's no construction activity south of Topsail, North of Kenmount, on the collector Rd to Empire or the round-about on Blackmarch/Empire/Redmond yet for the year. Also no tender announcements for this year's work.
To be fair, Topsail south past Brookfield to Pitts is phase 3 of the highway and not expected to open at the end of the year. Could still be a few years before that's hitting peak construction. And there isn't much of anything left to do north of Kenmount; the road beds for the additional ramps are completed, so there's probably just paving and railing left.

I suspect if we're going to be able to drive on this highway by the end of this year, it will literally be December 31st. More than likely though, I would think it'll be next year.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 2:20 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there a mini-overpass required just before the Topsail Rd overpass for the on-ramp going north...?

If you look at the very last couple seconds of that new Telegram drone video it just looks like two mounds of dirt on either side right now...so that hasn't been started yet.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't there a mini-overpass required just before the Topsail Rd overpass for the on-ramp going north...?

If you look at the very last couple seconds of that new Telegram drone video it just looks like two mounds of dirt on either side right now...so that hasn't been started yet.
Nah, Topsail Road traffic wishing to travel north will take an on-ramp off of Topsail that will be inclined but no overpass required. I suspect that any East-bound traffic on Topsail which wishes to get onto the highway and travel north will just take a left turn across traffic onto the on-ramp.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Nah, Topsail Road traffic wishing to travel north will take an on-ramp off of Topsail that will be inclined but no overpass required. I suspect that any East-bound traffic on Topsail which wishes to get onto the highway and travel north will just take a left turn across traffic onto the on-ramp.
From what I can tell looking at the maps/videos of that area all of the on/off ramps are going to connect to Topsail Rd on the west side of the highway...including north-bound.

Edit: red piece is what I am trying to refer to when I say overpass. Overpass for TGH. Underpass for north-bound ramping.

Last edited by goodgrowth; Apr 28, 2018 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 6:22 PM

^ Yeah I figured out after that was what you were probably talking about. From google maps satellite imagery it looks like the highway will go over the ramp. Good thing is they won't have to shut anything down to get that infrastructure in place, but they'd be smart to get that done sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
From what I can tell looking at the maps/videos of that area all of the on/off ramps are going to connect to Topsail Rd on the west side of the highway...including north-bound.

Edit: red piece is what I am trying to refer to when I say overpass. Overpass for TGH. Underpass for north-bound ramping.
It may be a culvert type underpass for the ramp, similar to Ocean Pond & Butterpot which could be placed and overfilled fairly quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's