HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 7:47 PM
Community Guy

Chengdu in Edmonton

chendu is having a major art exibit in Edmonton, Canada right now...it is very very impressive.

china sensation: new art from chengdu
C
Chengdian Wu
Guoqiang Zhang
Peng Jiang
Peng Jiang
Artist Yi Diao
HINA SENSATION features the work of 22 artists from Chengdu, the capital city of Sichuan, in the People’s Republic of China. There is a spirit of boldness and innovation in China today, and contemporary Chinese art reflects the unique challenges and excitement of its changing society. Young Chinese artists are fostering a new and revolutionary form of art, one that is bringing new ideas and new images to the art world—both within and outside the country.

CHINA SENSATION represents the multi-dimensional nature of artistic production in China today. It includes works by a senior generation of artists, whose aesthetic concerns can be clearly linked to age-old traditions of art and image-making. The younger artists in the exhibition, point more keenly toward the new China and how it is inextricably linked to and influenced by the West. They demonstrate a keen knowledge of entertainment and media and offer often ironic and subtle critiques of modern life. Their work often appears light-hearted and playful, yet they present the other side of progress, a world of greed, poverty and violence that often comes with growth and expansion. What is unique to this exhibition is the strong presence and reality of living in China today—the paradox of a society steeped in history, yet striving to be “new.” CHINA SENSATION is a unique opportunity to see the work of artists from a new and ever evolving China.

“What is happening in China is what was happening in Europe at the beginning of the 20th century. New ground is being broken. There’s a revolution underway.” Michael Goedhuis, quoted in the International Herald Tribune

-----------------

www.edmonton.ca

www.movetoedmonton.com

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 2:59 AM
How r u doing?| Ni hao!

Seems impressive and cute too. Did you take any pictures? Are you willing to share with us?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 5:04 AM
Community Guy

^cant take pictures inside, but wow was i impressed by emerging modern art from china.

If you dont know what edmonton looks like:

www.movetoedmonton.com

cheers

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China