HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 3:26 PM

Philly is literally the goldilocks zone in terms of who they can pick. It's the perfect balance of everything they need.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 9:54 PM

Perfectly balanced... as all things should be. Sorry guys, I just can't stop referencing that movie.

Anyway, it looks like Amazon is taking a serious look at how rents and housing costs will be affected spells very good things for us. Traffic too. Most of the cities that are considered the frontrunners have a problem with one or both of those things like Atlanta (traffic), Boston (both), Washington (both), and Dallas (traffic)

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:11 PM

From the 30th street district

https://mailchi.mp/5a1738774135/objf...5?e=0554f2c5b4

and link to the underground concept releases in march

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pendix_web.pdf

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
From the 30th street district

https://mailchi.mp/5a1738774135/objf...5?e=0554f2c5b4

and link to the underground concept releases in march

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pendix_web.pdf
So much needs to be done with 30th street station. With the number of riders, I can't believe that more is not done. To an outsider like me, I would think it would be an easy sell to secure public/private funding to do these projects. And, BTW...Did you all see that Philly.com article about lack of security measures at the station and to the point that station doors don't even lock. That's pretty appalling.

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
So much needs to be done with 30th street station. Did you all see that Philly.com article about lack of security measures at the station and to the point that station doors don't even lock. That's pretty appalling.
I'm like 90% this conversation took place:

"Gee we got some pretty bad press yesterday, what should we do?"

"Let's release the concourse doc to make it look like we're doing something about it."

"By god that's brilliant!"

Old Posted May 2, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I'm like 90% this conversation took place:

"Gee we got some pretty bad press yesterday, what should we do?"

"Let's release the concourse doc to make it look like we're doing something about it."

"By god that's brilliant!"
the document was released in march

I get a newsletter every Qtr and this came out today maybe the timing of that is suspect

the retail link (the second one I posted from March) has some interesting aspects

security risk needs to be addressed regardless

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 5:21 PM

Equipment is currently mobilized at the 32nd and JFK (Pep Boys) parcel! I’ll post a pic later, but I noticed it in passing

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Equipment is currently mobilized at the 32nd and JFK (Pep Boys) parcel! I’ll post a pic later, but I noticed it in passing
^Firestone? (or did it change hands?)

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
That's not part of the Schuylkill Yards development, I believe Drexel will be building some sort of student center there. I'm not sure that's what is happening now anyway: http://drexel.edu/now/archive/2018/M...y-City-Campus/

Quote:
In 2013, the University acquired the triangular-shaped parcel of property on the north side of Market Street between JFK Boulevard and 32nd Street that used to house the Firestone auto repair shop. Construction has started to reconfigure the intersections around the property. The site will be fenced off, a portion of N. 32nd Street will be closed to vehicle traffic and the sidewalk near the area will be closed between 32nd Street and JFK Boulevard along the north side of Market Street. In the near term, the project will contribute to traffic interruptions along Market Street (more information below), but when finished it will make the area safer and more pedestrian-friendly. Completion is expected in late summer of this year.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
That's not part of the Schuylkill Yards development, I believe Drexel will be building some sort of student center there. I'm not sure that's what is happening now anyway: http://drexel.edu/now/archive/2018/M...y-City-Campus/
Yea,they just reconfiguring the intersection.There's gonna be a signaled crosswalk at Lancaster walk. The armory next door is gonna become the US National Squash Center.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 3:09 PM

You have to think Amazon wants to make a decision sooner than later. The pendulum on the HQ2 news cycle has swung completely the other way from "This is exciting, $bilions of dollars, 50k new jobs, etc. to Do we really want to deal with all this crap?" Just googling "Amazon HQ2" and the top 3 results that popped up for me were all negative. It's just not a good run of press to continually be ridiculed. Anyways, hopefully next steps come sooner than later.

For Amazon HQ2 hopefuls, Seattle serves as a cautionary tale:
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/13/news...tle/index.html

How can the D.C. region absorb an Amazon headquarters if it can’t cope now with gridlock and housing costs?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.1e0d8c343b1a

Rent In The Washington Region Is Already Too High. Would Amazon HQ2 Make It Even Worse?
https://wamu.org/story/18/05/14/rent...ke-even-worse/

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 3:17 PM

Okay, this is a good time to ask a question that I've been asking myself a lot for a long time. Yes, Philly is a high tax city. But our office rents are low. How much does the later mitigate the former? I'm guessing not much or else why else would demand be so soft? Think about this - the only office buildings that have opened up, have either be in KOZ zones (Navy Yard and Cira) or have been to consolidate office space (Comcast). In the meantime, lots of space has come off the market via conversions.

So why does office rent seem to matter so little? I truly don't know and am very curious. For a company like Amazon, seeking to lease up to a half million square feet, I'd think it would be a big deal. DC (and its environs), Boston, and NY are really, really expensive.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Okay, this is a good time to ask a question that I've been asking myself a lot for a long time. Yes, Philly is a high tax city. But our office rents are low. How much does the later mitigate the former? I'm guessing not much or else why else would demand be so soft? Think about this - the only office buildings that have opened up, have either be in KOZ zones (Navy Yard and Cira) or have been to consolidate office space (Comcast). In the meantime, lots of space has come off the market via conversions.

So why does office rent seem to matter so little? I truly don't know and am very curious. For a company like Amazon, seeking to lease up to a half million square feet, I'd think it would be a big deal. DC (and its environs), Boston, and NY are really, really expensive.
It IS. Also cost of living. Wages will go a lot further for employees here than in places like DC. Why do you think we're in the running? Philly's own suburbs with preferential tax treatment are probably a bigger competitor than other cities. Company relocations aren't really that common except to super low tax sunbelt regions. Philly can't compete on that level and is unlikely to attract a company where tax benefits trump all other factors, notwithstanding our low cost of living. Philly's main problem is that it is difficult to start and grow a business here (both because of the tax and regulatory climate and access to capital) and that it is cheaper to operate nearby in the burbs where many of the executives settle anyway. We are making headway as the tax and regulatory climate improves (but not enough), access to capital improves, and the city becomes an increasingly desirable place for younger talent such that that the need to attract talent begins to outweigh the cheaper operating costs of the suburbs. In recent years, growth in the city has outpaced suburban growth, and that is a nice reversal.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

It's a fair question, from an employee level...individual income goes further in areas with less tax (obviously). That being said, do companies actually care about that? Probably not.

I still feel like we are the 'underdog' for no real reason, I just read yet another article about how even some of the finalist cities don't meet Amazon's requirements, it didn't mention Philly once (because we cross off literally every item) - until it stated those cities with only an outside chance, when we were mentioned first. It's pretty frustrating being judged by people who have most likely never stepped foot in the city, and I feel like it's all hearsay that keeps us from reaching our potential.

Here's the article for those that are interested:

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2018/...rocess/560072/

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I still feel like we are the 'underdog' for no real reason, I just read yet another article about how even some of the finalist cities don't meet Amazon's requirements, it didn't mention Philly once (because we cross off literally every item) - until it stated those cities with only an outside chance, when we were mentioned first. It's pretty frustrating being judged by people who have most likely never stepped foot in the city, and I feel like it's all hearsay that keeps us from reaching our potential.
It should come as no surprise, though, that media outlets like City Lab (and countless others) are based in NYC, and as a result, will often write with insufferably predictable and elitist overtones. They're indoctrinated into thinking that only a select cohort of "superstar" cities will always have the "very best" of everything, including chances for landing any corporate headquarters.

And you're right--it's incredibly frustrating to read articles with this same mindset that gloss over cities like Philly, which have incredible potential, but still just need that extra little "push" from the private sector. It's bleated ad nauseam in countless re-packaged articles.

And the sad part is that corporate decision-makers already based in these "business thriving" cities all too often buy into this mindset without question or any thoughtful research.

The irony is that publications like City Lab constantly write about the "creative class," when, in fact, these folks could never envision crafting a successful life outside of a few very select, highly exclusive cities. To me, that's the very definition of provincial and the absence of an imagination.

Last edited by UrbanRevival; May 14, 2018 at 6:14 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:09 PM

Some positives about the chase for Amazon

Cities Recycle Their Amazon Pitches to Attract New Business

Philadelphia’s proposal lures a London investment firm; ‘this made us feel OK about taking that risk’

Quote:
Some U.S. cities are learning something this year from Amazon: how to sell themselves.

Many of the 20 cities shortlisted as sites for the retail giant’s second headquarters are using the multimedia presentations they created for Amazon.com Inc.’s application to pitch to other companies.

“We already have seen businesses that have expressed interest in Philadelphia and have told us they were driven specifically by what they saw in our pitch to Amazon,” says Sylvie Gallier Howard, Philadelphia’s first deputy commerce director.

Last fall, the founder and chief executive at Elm Partners were drafting a headquarters list of their own, as they planned to move the small algorithmic investment firm from London to the U.S. The founder’s children would soon all be in the U.S. with his youngest hoping to attend college in Philadelphia, said Chief Executive James White. Philadelphia was high on their list, but they didn’t know the city well and were considering more familiar terrain in big cities such as New York, Los Angeles and Boston.

Then, a friend sent a link to the video Philadelphia put together as part of its Amazon pitch.

“The video just resonated with us really well,” Mr. White said. The piece highlighted Philadelphia’s entrepreneurial community and its burgeoning food scene. It helped push the city to the top of their list, and the company began its move to Philadelphia in January.

He had never lived in Philadelphia before, Mr. White said, “but this made us feel OK about taking that risk.”

Places including Philadelphia, Toronto, Indianapolis and Newark, N.J., have received an uptick of inquiries from companies, some citing the digital brochures created for the Amazon bid, officials in the cities said.

In Philadelphia, city development officials said they are working on a new version of the website that will widen its target from Amazon to a broader array of businesses and organizations—a process they call “deAmazonification.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cities-...ies-1526290200

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; May 14, 2018 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanRevival View Post
It should come as no surprise, though, that media outlets like City Lab (and countless others) are based in NYC, and as a result, will often write with insufferably predictable and elitist overtones. They're indoctrinated into thinking that only a select cohort of "superstar" cities will always have the "very best" of everything, including chances for landing any corporate headquarters.

And you're right--it's incredibly frustrating to read articles with this same mindset that gloss over cities like Philly, which have incredible potential, but still just need that extra little "push" from the private sector. It's bleated ad nauseam in countless re-packaged articles.

And the sad part is that corporate decision-makers already based in these "business thriving" cities all too often buy into this mindset without question or any thoughtful research.

The irony is that publications like City Lab constantly write about the "creative class," when, in fact, these folks could never envision crafting a successful life outside of a few very select, highly exclusive cities. To me, that's the very definition of provincial and the absence of an imagination.
Like most others, I've got no clear idea how Amazon is making their decision and what's really important to them in their process. Granted that they aren't fools, so the degree of corporate welfare they can claim has to be high on their hit list and it makes sense that being able to get the type of employees they want is important to their business success. And so on. But I have a hard time imagining the gods at amazon give any weight at all to what 98% of third part opinion writers have to say in guessing what Amazon's intentions are. So, who cares what City lab says. What they say probably has as much influence over Amazon's decision as my opinion does, and I think Philly is one of the top 3 candidates!

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:22 PM

This is good news that the investment company may come to Philadelphia and that other businesses are considering the city; it means we have sizzle and we should; its a great city; tons of young people are moving here; its vibrant and not expensive.

I've read articles from people who have an elitist attitude; they generally only see New York and Los Angeles as being the only cities in America an its a long held misconception among some; I first encountered it on the West Coast in the early 1990's. This elite attitude is in many ways a detriment to those cities because it justifies them top dollar on everything and it gives businesses all the more reason to move to Philadelphia. There is a reason why New York and Los Angeles are losing businesses in droves so the elitist attitude doesn't serve their best interest but if we can benefit from it then why not?

Old Posted May 14, 2018, 8:50 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
This is good news that the investment company may come to Philadelphia and that other businesses are considering the city; it means we have sizzle and we should; its a great city; tons of young people are moving here; its vibrant and not expensive.

I've read articles from people who have an elitist attitude; they generally only see New York and Los Angeles as being the only cities in America an its a long held misconception among some; I first encountered it on the West Coast in the early 1990's. This elite attitude is in many ways a detriment to those cities because it justifies them top dollar on everything and it gives businesses all the more reason to move to Philadelphia. There is a reason why New York and Los Angeles are losing businesses in droves so the elitist attitude doesn't serve their best interest but if we can benefit from it then why not?
In the WSJ article, since algorithmic finance can be done anywhere, Philly became the option. And, I think the main deciding factor for the parent(s) and business owner is that the kids were going to college in Philly. I presume, UPenn. So, that's the context within the decision and maybe a little push from our recent advertisement to Amazon to show Philly off. In the end, the guy and his family is doing this to keep the family together.

BTW, London is also considered an elitist city, it has some of the world's wealthiest properties and billionaires. Finance is part of its DNA, although some of that is changing somewhat.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 2:22 AM

Amazon has finished visiting the top 20 contenders for its new HQ

Quote:
Some cities are already seeing a 'halo effect' from making it onto Amazon's hot list.

In Philadelphia, officials have seen a noticeable uptick in inquiries from businesses looking to open a new office.

“Since the HQ2 bid, we have experienced a number of companies who reference the Amazon pitch as a catalyst for their interest in Philadelphia as a location for business operations,” Lauren Cox from the City of Philadelphia’s Department of Commerce told NBC News. “One London company, which had Philadelphia on its short list last fall, already began its move to the city in January.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals