HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 4:24 AM

Not a very large crowd considering how many Ontarians there are.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
Ontario is rapidly changing in its demographics and a Premier should reflect this. Why do we have a fat, white guy with a Hoser accent in charge? he's a thing of the past. We should have a person of colour in charge. This province is soon to be immigrant majority anyway. Send this Hoser packing back to the 1980's.
Like him or not, your discriminatory intolerant and racist remarks aren't helping your cause..Moderators, can you please close this thread? If these kind of comments were made towards a minority group it would be shut down in 3 seconds, and I'm not even a Doug Ford fan.

Last edited by Razor; Jun 26, 2019 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Like him or not, your discriminatory intolerant and racist remarks aren't helping your cause..Moderators, can you please close this thread? If these kind of comments were made towards a minority group it would be shut down in 3 seconds, and I'm not even a Doug Ford fan.
I mentioned the word ''White'' once. Since when is calling someone a hoser and overweight racist or intolerant?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:40 AM
I am a typical

Some people like to draw an equivalency between "hoser" and racial slurs because it blurs the line between racism and non-racism and that makes them more comfortable.

It's either that or he's got some contorted reason for why suggesting more minorities should be in positions of power is racist against minorities.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Some people like to draw an equivalency between "hoser" and racial slurs because it blurs the line between racism and non-racism and that makes them more comfortable.

It's either that or he's got some contorted reason for why suggesting more minorities should be in positions of power is racist against minorities.
The fact is is that racialized people are not in positions of power at all even in city councils in cities that they are the majority in.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 12:53 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

There was a Chinese on the Toronto City Council and another one on the Richmond Hill one, AFAIK. I don’t know if they’re in the position of power as you intended, though.

=====

Anyway, how are your loved ones (referring to your other thread) doing?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The fact is is that racialized people are not in positions of power at all even in city councils in cities that they are the majority in.
This is actually quite true, though the reasons for it may be more complex that the usual simplistic blame game (it's the fault of evil white people).

It's worth noting that OTOH GTA minorities tend to be quite well represented in provincial and federal-level politics.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I mentioned the word ''White'' once. Since when is calling someone a hoser and overweight racist or intolerant?
Calling someone out as a hoser and overweight is certainly intolerant when you're factoring that into his ability to do a job (Premier of Ontario) that has nothing to do with these traits.

If we were talking about a firefighter's job, then perhaps "overweight" would be relevant.

And as for "white", well you opened the thread with it, and that clearly seemed to be in opposition to the "diverse" Ontario you say isn't represented by Doug Ford.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Calling someone out as a hoser and overweight is certainly intolerant when you're factoring that into his ability to do a job (Premier of Ontario) that has nothing to do with these traits.

If we were talking about a firefighter's job, then perhaps "overweight" would be relevant.

And as for "white", well you opened the thread with it, and that clearly seemed to be in opposition to the "diverse" Ontario you say isn't represented by Doug Ford.
If the Premier was Dalton McGuinty (another white male, albeit not overweight, with different political leanings and less 'hoserish') would this be a topic?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
If the Premier was Dalton McGuinty (another white male, albeit not overweight, with different political leanings and less 'hoserish') would this be a topic?
Likely not, and I alluded to this earlier in the thread when I brought up Justin Trudeau.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Likely not, and I alluded to this earlier in the thread when I brought up Justin Trudeau.
Yeah, I don't get the whole angle the original poster was going for.

It's kind of a underhanded way of criticizing a politician of any stripe.

If one wanted to criticize Doug Ford, he's given them enough material to do so without having to go the the race/gender/etc/etc angle.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
There's no equality or fairness in a democracy.
But other systems of government I've seen tend to be much worse. I agree that racial minorities are not well represented on many municipal councils in Ontario.

Here is one of my city councillors for my ward here in Timmins. She is half Indigenous (originally from one of the First Nations next to the Town of Chapleau) and half black (Jamaican heritage I think). I believe she is the first non-Caucasian person elected to council here. Of the many candidates for Ward 5, she received the most votes and was one of four candidates elected for our ward.

Kristin Murray

Contact

You may contact Councillor Murray at:
Email Address: kristin.murray@timmins.ca
The Corporation of the City of Timmins
220 Algonquin Blvd. East
Timmins, ON P4N 1B3
(705) 360-2611
Councillor Murray sits on the following boards:

Audit Committee
Cochrane District Social Services Administration Board
Indigenous Advisory Committee
Porcupine Health Unit
Timmins Economic Development Corporation
Violence Against Women

Bio

I currently live in Ward 5 with my two daughters, Keenyah and Nylah.

In 2001, I moved to Timmins from Chapleau to attend post-secondary studies at Northern College, obtaining a dual diploma in Social Service Work and Drug and Alcohol Counselling. I later attended St. Francis Xavier University where I studied Leadership.

I have a deep understanding of community and have an extensive career investing in the City of Timmins’ Not-For-Profit sector. My contributions have led to the development and support of numerous social planning programs, art endeavours and successful community initiatives.

I pride myself on being a results-oriented person with ability to grasp and act on the issues that are of concern.

Over the years I have lent my skills to many organizations and community groups, most recently as the Health Promoter with Misiway Milopematesewin Community Health Centre. One of my priorities is to maintain the existing city services provided to local residents while providing effective growth opportunities that yield tangible benefits to the community.

An avid nature lover and promoter of all things northern, my favourite thing about Timmins is spending time in our community’s outdoor spaces. My hobbies include running, coaching Ringette and crafting.

Last edited by Loco101; Jun 27, 2019 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:06 PM

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about!..It's so obvious, yet some posters skirted around it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
There's no equality or fairness in a democracy.
But other systems of government I've seen tend to be much worse. I agree that racial minorities are not well represented on many municipal councils in Ontario.

Here is one of my city councillors for my ward here in Timmins. She is half Indigenous (originally from one of the First Nations next to the Town of Chapleau) and half black (Jamaican heritage I think). I believe she is the first non-Caucasian person elected to council here. Of the many candidates for Ward 5, she received the most votes and was one of four candidates elected for our ward.

Kristin Murray

Contact

You may contact Councillor Murray at:
Email Address: kristin.murray@timmins.ca
The Corporation of the City of Timmins
220 Algonquin Blvd. East
Timmins, ON P4N 1B3
(705) 360-2611
Councillor Murray sits on the following boards:

Audit Committee
Cochrane District Social Services Administration Board
Indigenous Advisory Committee
Porcupine Health Unit
Timmins Economic Development Corporation
Violence Against Women

Bio

I currently live in Ward 5 with my two daughters, Keenyah and Nylah.

In 2001, I moved to Timmins from Chapleau to attend post-secondary studies at Northern College, obtaining a dual diploma in Social Service Work and Drug and Alcohol Counselling. I later attended St. Francis Xavier University where I studied Leadership.

I have a deep understanding of community and have an extensive career investing in the City of Timmins’ Not-For-Profit sector. My contributions have led to the development and support of numerous social planning programs, art endeavours and successful community initiatives.

I pride myself on being a results-oriented person with ability to grasp and act on the issues that are of concern.

Over the years I have lent my skills to many organizations and community groups, most recently as the Health Promoter with Misiway Milopematesewin Community Health Centre. One of my priorities is to maintain the existing city services provided to local residents while providing effective growth opportunities that yield tangible benefits to the community.

An avid nature lover and promoter of all things northern, my favourite thing about Timmins is spending time in our community’s outdoor spaces. My hobbies include running, coaching Ringette and crafting.
Not that it has anything to do with her ability to do her job, but if the photo is any indication of what she looks like in person... she is very beautiful!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Not that it has anything to do with her ability to do her job, but if the photo is any indication of what she looks like in person... she is very beautiful!
I've seen her in person and she is indeed beautiful. Her smile and personality really catch the attention of many people.

There are stereotypes out there that Indigenous people and black people don't smile very much but she certain proves them wrong.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 9:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Exactly, and I AM a Doug Ford fan

When insults and racist comments come from the left, few say anything but if they come from the right, all hell breaks loose. What further proof do we need that the media are run by lefties? This forum is no different

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 10:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post

When insults and racist comments come from the left, few say anything but if they come from the right, all hell breaks loose. What further proof do we need that the media are run by lefties? This forum is no different

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:22 AM
I am a typical

Quote:

Dude, you run this website. You could close this thread!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 3:50 AM

Quote:

Doug Ford is nothing new... just following the policies and legacy of the infamous Maggie. The media is far from leftist owned. Canada and our news media has probably been in Conservative control since Mulroney. Serve the rich, hoard the money. Destroy social mobility and create an oligarchy. The rich eat the butter from the trough as evidenced with the heft corporate welfare payments given to them while no poor person gets a chance.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 12:58 AM
I am a typical

The PCs promised to "reduce spending to eliminate the deficit", but they want to do it without raising taxes or firing anyone. So how do you do that?

Well, you shift the spending onto city budgets to shrink the provincial budget, forcing health care and daycare to be covered by property taxes, and city councils take the blame for tax increases! It's actually quite brilliant.

Puts the cities in a really shitty situation, but who cares? They don't vote PC!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario