HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSRead View Post
For whatever it's worth, a friend of mine told me he heard from someone in the know that Rogers is looking at building a new baseball stadium directly south of the Rogers Centre. I dismissed it, because to the best of my knowledge not a single media member has hinted that is a possibility. But interesting to see pretty much the same suggestion floated in here.

@johnny24 - can you give any more details? Is it a complete demolition of the Rogers Centre?
I heard it described as "moving south" as well, I thought they meant on the same site but looking at it now I'm not sure. The renderings I saw seemed to be in roughly the same spot. Lots of open windows for the concourses to overlook the lake.

As far as transitioning, I didn't quite get the full picture but was told about a phasing plan to do half the building first, then the other half, and continue playing there during. No idea how realistic that is.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I think Ticats football ops are inside THF, corporate/ticketing are down by the waterfront behind a Port Authority gate.
Yeah I was speaking about head offices specifically, not football ops. I'm not sure how many teams split the two apart (I know the Lions' Surrey office combines both).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:00 PM

Someone at work went to the stadium for Luton Town FC in England and showed to me just how much the stadium is integrated into the town. Soccer stadiums in Britain it seems are all in dense residential neighbourhoods, which gives a cool effect.

If you are a fan of your local whatever team, would you like living this close to the stadium and would you find it cool to have fans streaming past your hard and having the sights and sounds so close to home?

Which arenas or stadiums in Canada can compare to this? I suppose you can include condos and not just houses like by the Dome where people can see down from their windows or balconies.

THF in Hamilton is a good example, but can't compete with Luton with the stadium literally being within arm's reach of houses. Despite the bad rap Hamilton has, these houses though are far superior to what stands beside the stadium in Luton.

Gotta love those tree-less, grass-less, grimey neighbourhoods in Britain that are so common. Seriously, very interesting aesthetic. Just wouldn't want to live there.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:06 PM
ハルウララ

All I can hear in my head looking at those Luton photos is North Americans asking: "but where will everyone park!?!?!?"

THF is the only stadium i've been to in NA that comes close to the UK/Euro style of neighbourhood integration, IE having residential streets near and effectively across from the stadium. Everything else is usually greenfield or parking.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
All I can hear in my head looking at those Luton photos is North Americans asking: "but where will everyone park!?!?!?"

THF is the only stadium i've been to in NA that comes close to the UK/Euro style of neighbourhood integration, IE having residential streets near and effectively across from the stadium. Everything else is usually greenfield or parking.
Fenway Park? Wrigley Field?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:08 PM

^ I love that aesthetic. Old Ivor Wynne was more tightly knit into its surroundings...it's probably the closest thing we had to the British model. It looks like THF has a little more breathing room which is to be expected, I suppose.

Old Mosaic was pretty close to residential areas, there were literally houses across the street from it. But it wasn't the same as Ivor Wynne, there was still more room around it and a big open space to the south by the railway tracks.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fenway Park? Wrigley Field?
I haven't been to them but yes, they have strong neighbourhood integration.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Those neighbourhood stadiums in the UK are really cool in terms of fan experience. Before and after the games the pubs are filled with fans and there is lots of atmosphere.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:31 PM

I've been to Fenway, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium and a few others. Fenway is well integrated but not surrounded by residences in the way Wrigley is. Wrigley is lined by apartments mostly. But low rise and some Victorian style of architecture, which adds to the aesthetic.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 10:05 PM

Having a stadium like this in a relatively low density residential neighborhood seems strange to me. I've always pictured major league stadiums near universities (Winnipeg, Calgary, Montréal), in a downtown area (Vancouver, Toronto) or at least buffered by parking and/or commercial development (Edmonton, Regina, Ottawa).

I always thought Fenway and Wrigley were more centrally located then what they actually are. Both seem relatively well served by transit (Wrigley more than Fenway). Fenway seems to have plenty of parking within walking distance but I can't seem to find any parking around Wrigley, which is surprising.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I love that aesthetic. Old Ivor Wynne was more tightly knit into its surroundings...it's probably the closest thing we had to the British model. It looks like THF has a little more breathing room which is to be expected, I suppose.
That picture 2nd from the bottom, Balsam Ave I think it says, almost looked like Ivor Wynne to me at first.

While not within touching distance of the houses like some of those above, Lambeau in Green Bay (Stadium Drive shown at the bottom of the pic, there are a few streets right in that area) and New Era in Buffalo do have a couple residential streets within spitting distance, and not separated by major roads.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:14 PM

This photo gives you an idea of how Taylor Field was surrounded on three sides by houses. There was a fair bit of asphalt between the stadium and the houses though, so it obviously didn't have the same Ivor Wynne Stadium type of charm... the stadium grounds were kind of ugly, and just to prove I'm not being a homer here I'll admit that CanadInns Stadium was the same, surrounded by a drab ocean of asphalt.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:45 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This photo gives you an idea of how Taylor Field was surrounded on three sides by houses. There was a fair bit of asphalt between the stadium and the houses though, so it obviously didn't have the same Ivor Wynne Stadium type of charm... the stadium grounds were kind of ugly, and just to prove I'm not being a homer here I'll admit that CanadInns Stadium was the same, surrounded by a drab ocean of asphalt.

Canadinns was arguably worse. It was sort of in the half industrial airport district and retail wasteland of polo park. The move to UofM has been an upgrade in surroundings to be sure, despite it being relatively isolated there too. At least there is a fair bit of development planned in the future to the north.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Canadinns was arguably worse. It was sort of in the half industrial airport district and retail wasteland of polo park. The move to UofM has been an upgrade in surroundings to be sure, despite it being relatively isolated there too. At least there is a fair bit of development planned in the future to the north.
I was thinking more of the site itself and the big ugly parking lots that surrounded CanadInns. Yeah the neighbouring area wasn't the prettiest (basically a grim light industrial area that converted mostly to retail in the 80s), but I will say that at least there were a bunch of bars and restaurants nearby that you could easily walk to after the game. It was surprisingly urban in that regard... an element that is definitely missing at IGF.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 3:12 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post

THF in Hamilton is a good example, but can't compete with Luton with the stadium literally being within arm's reach of houses. Despite the bad rap Hamilton has, these houses though are far superior to what stands beside the stadium in Luton.

Gotta love those tree-less, grass-less, grimey neighbourhoods in Britain that are so common. Seriously, very interesting aesthetic. Just wouldn't want to live there.

Having been born in London and raised there for 11 years I couldn't agree more. Huge swaths of Britain look like that. They're grim, depressing, and sad places. I was at THF for the recent Eastern Conference Final. Although thee are around the stadium isn't nice either it's still a couple notches above typical British stuff.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 4:25 AM

Ya. In contrast, places like Chelsea/Kensington in London are also lined with row houses, but super charming and beautiful.

This particular street in the THF pic has particularly well kempt houses and lawns, which I only noticed on streetview. The last time I was in the area was 2010 and 2011 at Ivor Wynne, once in the winter and once in summer. The streets I walked down on those occasions were a mixed bag.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 6:59 AM

BC Place and Rogers Arena are surrounded (and joined onto) by highrises joined to the stadium (and more to come) but it is a very different effect than the stadiums in a low-rise type environment like Luton.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 7:42 AM
I am the law!

High rises next to and attached to stadiums and arenas is comparably commonplace in Canada.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2019, 11:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
High rises next to and attached to stadiums and arenas is comparably commonplace in Canada.
Lansdowne in Ottawa literally has a condo building at the edge of one of the end zones.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:04 PM
Community Guy

In hiring Tom Anselmi, the Oilers are hoping to bring a little of the MLSE business success to Edmonton.

In Edmonton, his mandate is to see through construction of the Ice District, Canada’s largest mixed-use sports and entertainment development. The $2.5-billion project covers 25 acres and is anchored by Rogers Place, the $480-million downtown arena that opened in 2016.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...+Article+Links

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada