HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 2:48 PM

Thanks for the kind comments Tim! My idealism kinda gets the best of me sometimes, but I really believe in this city and its potential. This project is great because it was put together by a private developer who has turned a project the typical naysayers said would fail into a prosperous expanding district. Finally, a Buffalo developer "gets it". Now if the rest could follow suit.

As to the millrace, Howard eluded to it still running under the LCo building and the site of Mill Race Commons, but I'm not sure what it's condition, flow, etc. is. It's probably in a concrete drain like the Scajaquada through the East Side. Do have any specifics though on it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 3:32 PM

I love the plans- particularly the streetscape work. 111 Hydraulic could use a little more detail on the facades- look to Mill Race for inspiration. There's time for changes- the sequence appears to be Mill Race first, 111 second.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 4:55 PM

I'm torn on this project... I love the idea but I love downtown more. However after watching cannon designs' preliminary presentation on how Buffalo can develop I guess I like it because now the area between downtown and the Larkin District will develop. But at the end of the day the present Larkin building that is fully leased if turned on end is like a 30 story skyscraper. Put that downtown with its 2000 workers and you see a change. Most peoples when they hear a cities name they think of there skyline or downtown, Buffalo could definitely use more density and midsized (20-30) story skyscrapers. We already have a lot of developments going on, in downtown, proposed and construction so oh well we will see what happens, good for them.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 10:21 PM

Tops considers putting store in former Latina's on Elmwood

A Tops Markets franchisee is exploring the idea of opening another store in Stuyvesant Plaza, where Latina’s Foodland Fresh recently closed.

Phil Perna, president and chief executive officer of Supermarket Management Inc., which operates a Tops on Niagara Street, stressed that nothing is definite and agreements would need to be worked out before a new store could become a reality.

The Elmwood Avenue shopping plaza has been without a food retailer since Latina’s closed in April. Prior to Latina’s, Quality Markets operated a store that closed in late 2003.

Perna said opening a store there, if it happens, would be an opportunity to grow the Tops name and serve the neighborhood’s residents.

“We’re hopeful at this point,” he said. “We have a ways to go.”

The closings of Quality and Latina’s were considered setbacks for neighborhood residents, including senior citizens, who could walk to the store to buy groceries.

“If we do it, we would like to operate it as a Tops market,” Perna said. “The precise format isn’t something we’ve made any decisions on.”

Perna did say that he would envision operating a smaller-size store than Latina’s did at the same location.

He said his company would still need to work out agreements with the business that ran Latina’s, which leased the space, and the Tops chain before any plans could move forward. Benchmark Group owns the plaza.

The new store would face the challenge of succeeding where two others have closed within the past four years.

“I think what we’d bring to the table is the Tops name and being able to use that format,” Perna said. “I’d like to think the years of experience we have operating a store on Niagara Street would serve us well in this location.”

Supermarket Management also has Tops stores on South Transit Road in Lockport and on Broadway in Depew, plus a B-Kwik store on Seneca Street.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 5:20 PM

^^I dont know how confident i am about that since they are trying to sell all there stores as it is

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 2:59 AM

A Trader Joe's or Whole Foods store would work really good in the Stuyvesant Plaza.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 5:24 AM
try being in the Buff

They need to drop the very weak references to wright in their architecture. Do something new and innovative if you are going to bring a neighborhood back to life.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 1:57 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
They need to drop the very weak references to wright in their architecture. Do something new and innovative if you are going to bring a neighborhood back to life.
Agreed, if you're gonna do Wright-style - do it well and/or noticeable, otherwise do something new.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:58 AM

You guys keep an eye on Buffalo for me. I'm leaving today for my three week cross country vacation!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 6:31 PM

I was downtown yesterday and saw the site prep for the courthouse going on. The old buildings are comming down very quickly!! when this is and the statler are done and god willing the buffalo city tower is build and the dulski is rennovated this will be a beautiful and lively area of downtown that isnt so beautiful and lively now

Old Posted Jun 30, 2007, 3:38 PM

Here is the project development website for the statler
http://www.thestatler.com
it gives you a little idea of whats going on and whats planned.

and here is bashar issa's personal website. it tells his history, how he made his money and his projects. he has a guest book and it would be good if it was filled with buffaloinians showing our support for him, i just did it.
http://www.basharalissa.com

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 2:29 PM

Ooooh!

Nice Find!!!

Linking on BRising.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 3:53 PM

wcp just joined the 1000 post club

Old Posted Jul 1, 2007, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullymon54 View Post
wcp just joined the 1000 post club
Not much of a post for such a milestone moment.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2007, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALOVE!! View Post
Here is the project development website for the statler
http://www.thestatler.com
it gives you a little idea of whats going on and whats planned.

and here is bashar issa's personal website. it tells his history, how he made his money and his projects. he has a guest book and it would be good if it was filled with buffaloinians showing our support for him, i just did it.
http://www.basharalissa.com
I tried to link on to his personal site, to jammed up with B-Lo folks clogging things upjust like you wanted.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 4:14 PM

hey the seneca's opened there shit box today at 8 am, I don't know if anyone noticed. Congratulations Seneca's, the city was struggling before now you have put us in such esteemed company as places like Detroit and Atlantic City. And how fitting that as soon as they open a bus with old woman and the urban poor pulls up each of them with baited breath ask if they could please plunk their well fair and social security checks into the slot machines only to further siphon money out of an city. Bravo you two faced bastards.

Last edited by sullymon54; Jul 3, 2007 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 12:52 AM

Just a few picss that i took because I got out early for the holiday

Artspace

Health Now from Erie Street

Palidino's New Lake Front homes

Canal Side

Cobblestone

210 Ellicott/Eagle St. Closed

285 Delaware

B/P Art Gallery

Webb Building

Pearl Street's new balcony

Condo's across the street from 504 Washington

Demo at Niagara Square/New Era's new sign

Construction at Niagara Mohawk Building

Buffalo Clinical Research Center

Gates Circle Site, thanks Parklane

Last edited by sullymon54; Jul 4, 2007 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 2:37 AM

Shit, you could have gotten out of the car!

Any of you real estate junkies hear of The Related Group? Impressive residential projects in NYC, Miami and Atlanta???

http://buffalorising.com/story/relat...ld_in_buff#sca

Related expands its Loft concept
South Florida Business Journal - June 29, 2007

As soon as 2008, Related Group of Florida plans to develop its Loft concept as a mid-priced condo brand for markets like Charlotte, N.C.; Buffalo, N.Y.; Nashville, Tenn.; Toledo, Ohio; and Tampa.

Future projects in other markets may not bear the Loft brand, but they will carry Related's style, said Oscar Rodriguez, senior VP of development and head of the attainable housing division for the Miami condo empire.

Even with starting prices less than $200,000, Related promises to pack each project with the same kinds of amenities found in more luxurious developments, including 24-hour security, swimming pool and sauna, fitness centers and high-tech wiring.

The company's recent sales success is a result of the lower prices it's offered, Rodriguez said. While high-end Miami condos have languished for many developers, Related reports booming sales for its newest project product, with rapid closeouts of its first three Loft towers in the city's downtown area.

The catch? Costs are kept low by eliminating parking garages, leaving residents dependant on the Miami's limited mass-transit system or using an adjacent public garage.

Rodriguez maintains the rapid urbanization of many domestic cities will cater to a workforce crowd willing to abandon the auto in favor of a downtown lifestyle.

"It's the city life we are selling here," he said.

Related's shift to building a more affordable condo is a return to its roots. The company, built by Jorge Perez, began with an emphasis on rental more than 25 years ago.

Today, more than 55,000 units have been produced in Florida; the most recent have been high-end luxury. Its current development portfolio is estimated at $10.7 billion.

Committed to current endeavors
Rodriguez said the company remains committed to its current endeavors, including multiple projects along the city's financial corridor, Brickell Avenue. Related also has a cluster of nine condo towers planned for Atlanta's Buckhead neighborhood.

Related also has entered the international market.

Luxury remains the watchword for its efforts, which are being marketed using a collaboration with designer Philippe Starck and produced under Related's Icon brand. The company is planning more than $1 billion in resorts in Mexico, while locations in Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Argentina and Uruguay have been under consideration.

Icon Brickell is under way in Miami and another, Icon Celebration, has been proposed for Orlando.

But, like many residential developers, Related's revenue has dipped. Revenue in 2006 was $1.4 billion, less than half of 2005's $3.25 billion.

Rodriguez had pushed to build less-expensive condos as the luxury boom accelerated about five years ago, with expectations that the market would shift.

"What happens past this moment?" he said of the brainstorming that occurred just as Miami's condo craze caught on fire.

Selling to the workforce crowd
Four Loft-branded condos, which are designed by Miami-based Cohen, Freedman, Encinosa & Associates, are in various stages of development, from planned to completed. The first three projects are located at the intersection of Northeast Second Avenue and Northeast Second Street, near Miami Dade College's Wolfson Campus.

The close clustering of the condos - just west of Biscayne Boulevard and adjacent to Cabi Developers' Everglades on the Bay tower currently under construction - was unplanned, yet serendipitous, Rodriguez said.

Parking is available across the street at the College Station garage. The College Bayside Metromover station, at 225 N.E. Third St., runs its line through the center of Loft 2.

Related tested the market with its first Loft project, which offered a swank two-story lobby and a Zen garden among it's marketable amenities. Condos at the 196-unit project started at $99,000 and sold out in three weeks, the company said.

Target buyers are - and have been - a workforce that doesn't make enough for luxury, but too much to qualify for subsidized rental.

"These are your legal assistants, the executive secretary. Someone who makes $60,000 or $70,000 a year," he said.

Because of Loft's early success, Related launched Loft 2 next door on a site that straddles Miami's Metromover light rail line along the 200 block of Northeast Second Street. Currently under construction, Loft 2's 496 units are contained in a 35-story high-rise that also includes 4,675 square feet of retail and an allotment of 500 parking spaces to be provided at a public parking garage at 190 N.E. Third St.

Building costs were estimated at $137 million, according to city records, and would generate about $746,187 annually in tax revenue (in 2004 dollars). Units began at $108,000 and were gone in two weeks.

Next comes Loft 3, which would replace a strip of shops located under the Colon and Metropol, a pair of older apartment complexes at 201 N.E. Second Ave.

The proposed 32-story tower is to include 15,000 square feet of retail. Building costs are estimated at $192 million, according to city records, and would generate about $ 1.23 million annually in tax revenue.

At the site, many of the tenants have already moved, leaving most slots along retail row darkened.

Exclusive sales agent Related Cervera Realty Services reports a $139.6 million sellout of Loft 3's 495 units. The condos started at $159,000; about 70 percent sold for less than $300,000.

Also in the works: Loft 4, a 36-story, 404-unit mixed-use property at 151 S.E. First St., behind the Gusman Center for the Performing Arts. Related said it will keep 85 percent of its one- and two-bedroom units under $300,000. Some will start at $129,900, with just 5 percent deposits required.

Prices increased with each new Loft project in tandem with hikes in building costs and insurance, Rodriguez said.

Last edited by westcoastperspective; Jul 4, 2007 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 4:14 PM

WCP, that's a valid point but it wasn't my call, my buddy was driving and he "somewhere to be" so we had to hurry.

This story is probably bigger news than many people are going to think, having a large national developer looking buffalo is a big deal. It means that they will not only probably develop a large number of units they will shake up the local guys and get them seeing some real competition ie palidino and ciminelli as well as puts us on the map for other large developers. Great news.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2007, 6:47 PM

Great news indeed! even if they dont do anything it still skakes up the local developers and gets the attention of other national developers.
looking at your pics, does anyone know when Palidino is going to start construction on his lake front tower? 285 delaware is looks really cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations