HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 12:33 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

That area needs more towers.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 2:58 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
Won't be easy considering the Nimby's that live in the area. Trump himself faced an uphill battle with this "modestly" tall building.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 6:58 AM

nice pic of the crane coming down, looks like it´s hidding of something or someone...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:11 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

^^^ It's only hiding the NIMBYs that call the area "Home."

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:04 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

By: lofter1 - Wired New York

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 12:56 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I've come to like this more than the original renderings.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 5:37 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 2:17 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01292009...444.htm?page=0

ROCK, HUDSON!
TRUMP'S NEW TOWER SHAKES UP SLEEPY HUDSON SQUARE AREA

Ivanka Trump (inset) thinks downtown is ready for the shiny Trump SoHo, which, despite controversy, is scheduled to open later this year.

SOHO HOPES IT'S SO HOT: Trump SoHo will boast Quattro, an Italian restaurant whose flagship (above) is in Miami, and an 11,000-square-foot spa inspired by Turkish and Russian baths.

By KATHERINE DYKSTRA
January 29, 2009

WHEN last we looked, Hudson Square, the micro-hood rising amid the warehouses west of SoHo, was undergoing serious transformation. Two years ago, the entire neighborhood was a veritable construction site, and buyers were snapping up pre-construction units despite the fact that, aside from ready access to New Jersey via the Holland Tunnel, there wasn't an amenity in sight.

Hike over to Hudson Square today and most of those construction sites have given birth to tall, glassy condo buildings. Residents have moved in. And yet, the amenity scene hasn't changed in the least.

"In terms of services, like supermarkets, it is definitely lacking that. Just like it was in TriBeCa in the early '90s," says broker Mallory Weil of Halstead Property. Six years ago, Weil bought a condo at 505 Greenwich St. She still gets her groceries from FreshDirect or takes her car to TriBeCa's Whole Foods.

But unlike other downtown neighborhoods, where the current down economy has new development more or less stopped in its tracks, big plans with big names are still on target for completion in Hudson Square. Which means, lo and behold, this neighborhood might still be on its way up.

The nearby Trump SoHo hotel-condo project, due this fall (or summer, depending on which member of the enormous development team you speak with) and selling for more than $3,000 per square foot, might do the most to put this area on the map.

"[Trump SoHo] is a fantastic emblem to have on the corner," says Prudential Douglas Elliman's Frances Katzen, who is selling the Renwick, a condo building set to rise in Hudson Square. "[But] the building has had a lot to overcome."

Despite protests from neighborhood groups and other controversies - including the discovery of a 19th-century African church burial ground on the site - Trump is rising quickly.

"We thought there was a place for younger product downtown," says Ivanka Trump.

The 46-story, 400-unit condo hotel is joining an area that has established condo buildings, including the Urban Glass House with 40 units, 505 Greenwich with 104 units and the 64-unit 255 Hudson. On the way is the annoyingly named No. 22 Renwick (at 22 Renwick, natch)with 19 units designed by Philip Johnson/Alan Ritchie Architects, and the 44-unit Renwick, at 15 Renwick St.

Hotels are also coming. Take Viceroy New York's 168 hotel rooms rising at 330 Hudson St., or Four Points by Sheraton's 150 rooms at 66 Charlton St.

And nightlife has gotten a boost in the area.

"Originally, I had two spots in Chelsea, but I wanted the pefect space in the perfect neighborhood," says Jon Bakhshi, the owner of Greenhouse, a new, eco-friendly bottle-service venue on Varick Street. "It's funny. I never realized so many people live right near there."

Giving even more cred to the area are the slew of media entities - including WNYC, the Weinstein Company, Viacom, New York magazine, Clear Channel and CBS Radio - that have migrated to Hudson Square, thanks to its cheap rent.

None of this is to say that Hudson Square isn't suffering from the same painful economic squeeze as the rest of the city. After all, fringe areas are often hit the hardest during tough times.

"It's a pioneering neighborhood. In a faltering economy, where the residential market is weaker, these are typically the first neighborhoods to feel the pain, as opposed to the more established neighborhoods," says Shaun Osher, CEO of Core Group Marketing. "It's definitely an appealing neighborhood, but it doesn't have the cachet of the West Village or SoHo or Flatiron."

But for early adopters like Weil, who bought off a floor plan at under $1,000 per square foot six years ago, there is still hope for recouping their money if selling is a must. Those who came later might not be as lucky.

"People are still making a profit if they're initial purchasers, but the people who bought from an original purchaser and now are trying to sell it again are having a hard time making a profit because a lot of them bought at really high prices," says Weil. "There are some instances where people are going to be lucky to break even if they purchased in the last two to three years."

Such is the case with at least one resale - a two-bedroom condo measuring 1,457 square feet and priced at $2.15 million, down from $2.295 million - at the Urban Glass House.

"They bought at the top of the market, after the sponsor had increased the prices," says broker Tom Postilio of Core Group Marketing, who took over sales of the building's last four sponsor units and is also handling this resale. He estimates that the buyers paid a little more than $100 a foot more than the $1,476 a foot they're asking.

Sponsors are feeling a similar pain. Of the Renwick's 44 units, 40 percent sold since it opened in June - not exactly hotcakes.

And after a fast start, Trump SoHo has seen its sales slow. According to broker Rodrigo Nino, president of Prodigy International, 270 units, or about 67 percent of the 400 total units, have sold. It sounds respectable until you find out that the building had sold 53 percent of its units in the first five months after hitting the market in September 2007. That means that 212 units were sold in the first five months, but just 58 were sold in the next 12.

For now, developers say they're willing to wait it out.

"We have the ability to be patient," says Harry Jeremias, principal at Harch Group, developer of the Renwick. "We're not being flexible with the lowballers."

"People still want to buy in a market with more opportunity; they want to feel they can find what they want in a prime location," says Katzen. "This location will hold its own and has held as such - no one has rescinded [on an offer]. We were waiting for that because everyone has told us horror stories. But no one has."

High on Hudson

Just north of TriBeCa and west of SoHo rests Hudson Square. There, encircled by the traffic flowing in and out of the Holland Tunnel (and thus the exhaust, as well), condo owners have found a tiny enclave reminiscent of early TriBeCa. Residents are drawn, not by access to the subway (it's far), but by the area's quiet streets and bright and shiny new apartments.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:37 PM
Ex Houstonian

Man, the views from this tower must be just simply amazing! Probably one of the best views in Manhatten, its right in the middle of everything.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 5:42 PM

that bar looks amazing...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
I have no problem with buildings of any height going up on parking lots - I don't buy the whole "it doesn't fit the character of the neighborhood" argument (as if some crappy design would because it's only 6-8 stories tall).

But you also have to remember that the West Village and SoHo are filled to the brim with historic architecture, and I'd be generally opposed to tearing most of them down for the sake of building tall buildings.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:00 PM
Everywhere all at once

Yea 10023, I agree. Parking lots are so 20th-Century-suburb.

Also, I don't get the neighborhood character arguement. It rarely makes sense, and we have the same problem out here on Staten Island...no one wants to see any growth of any kind. It's disgusting. Hopefully the NIMBYs will see the light one day.

I kind of hope this doesnt remain a Trump tower forever. It would be so much cooler if it had some hip name, like a new brand unique to the area. Like "The Sohoist" or something....

Old Posted Jan 29, 2009, 8:13 PM

I'm fine with this tower being where it is. It is on Varick street which is ALL massive 100-250 foot commercial buildings. This is not in the heart of beautiful lowrise soho or Greenwich Village. If it was 10 block north or 5 blocks east it would be out of place...like the monstrously ugly silver towers on Houston Street and West Broadway.

Last edited by Jazzhands; Jan 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 4:04 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
we have the same problem out here on Staten Island...no one wants to see any growth of any kind. It's disgusting. Hopefully the NIMBYs will see the light one day.
BTW, were you for or against that proposed NASCAR track that eventually got cancelled?

Quote:
I kind of hope this doesnt remain a Trump tower forever. It would be so much cooler if it had some hip name, like a new brand unique to the area. Like "The Sohoist" or something....
The Trump name is what adds to these towers, a large part of their success is the branding of that name, even if Trump himself sometimes doesn't really have a lot to do with them. Any of those towers could easily have more glamorous sounding names.

I also think the fact that this tower is surrounded by older buildings makes it stand out in a good way. It wouldn't be the same, for example, if it were on 3rd Ave or some other glass tower lined Midtown street.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 7:03 AM
low-riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
I'm fine with this tower being where it is. It is on Varick street which is ALL massive 100-250 foot commercial buildings. This is not in the heart of beautiful lowrise soho or Greenwich Village. If it was 10 block north or 5 blocks east it would be out of place...like the monstrously ugly silver towers on Houston Street and West Broadway.
You mean the ones that just got landmark status so they can't be torn down? haha. i know what you're talking about though. i work a block away from them and see them everyday. after a while, they grew on me and i kinda dig them. But they are regardless out of place there.

they got landmark status to prevent an NYU plan from building a fourth taller tower on the lot. So to prevent the new tower, they effectively made the current towers impossible to kill.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 7:46 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
BTW, were you for or against that proposed NASCAR track that eventually got cancelled?
Well, when it was first proposed, I actually was for it. I thought it would be cool to have something that was nowhere else in the city, something that could be unique to Staten Island, at least within the city. Plus, it was thought that having such a facility would attract outsiders and foster island businesses and such ...but the traffic that would've caused would've been horrifying, and really the last thing anyone wants is herds of New Jerseyans bombarding over the bridges in the summer, to watch cars drive around in a circle. That's not the exact type of people we'd want to attract anyway.

Recently they have been seriously discussing developing Bloomfield (the area where the track was to be built) into a new Island neighborhood, an ideal place to house more of the ever-expanding population out here. They're running out of places elsewhere on the Island, since pretty much every tree that hasn't been bulldozed yet has been or will be incorporated into some park or bluebelt (not that I don't love the parks, because I do), and that doesn't leave much room for continued development of already established areas. Bloomfield, which formerly housed an oil facility, is perfect for new development because it is just a brownfield that, once cleaned up, is prime open space.

To me, now, that seems like a MUCH better use of the land. Of course, the North and West Shore rail lines would also do wonders for that area, should it ever see development.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
the traffic that would've caused would've been horrifying, and really the last thing anyone wants is herds of New Jerseyans bombarding over the bridges in the summer, to watch cars drive around in a circle. That's not the exact type of people we'd want to attract anyway.
I think it's something the city could have used. You always want more people coming into the city, not less. Given today's bleek economic climate, those large crowds would be very attractive for the city. BTW, I think the traffic argument was blown out of proportion, there were plans in the works that would have eliminated much of it. As I recall, there was also to be a shopping mall. But it was a difficult sell because people held onto stereotypes.

Quote:
Recently they have been seriously discussing developing Bloomfield (the area where the track was to be built) into a new Island neighborhood, an ideal place to house more of the ever-expanding population out here.
Is it really that ideal a place to build housing? As I recall, it was the site of old oil storage tankers.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:12 PM
New Yorker for life

By the way, Trump Soho will have a little company...

http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...val-trump-soho
Barnett’s Hotel To Rival Trump SoHo

by Eliot Brown
October 14, 2008

The Trump SoHo may soon have some company.

Extell Development last month filed with the City Planning Department to build a hotel of up to 36 stories at 68-74 Charlton Street, just over two blocks from the Trump SoHo.

The Extell tower would surely join the Trump SoHo as an immediate presence on the skyline,
as Donald Trump and Alex Sapir’s 45-story hotel-condo sticks out between the high-rise districts of downtown and midtown like a telephone pole in the middle of a meadow. The surrounding former printing district of Hudson Square is filled with manufacturing-turned-office buildings that rise 10 or 12 stories, a fact that has led area residents to vehemently oppose the Trump SoHo.

Extell plans to have 300 rooms as part of a four-star hotel in its tower, run by a yet-to-be-determined operator, according to Extell spokesman George Arzt. The Lucien Lagrange-designed building, to be named the Charlton SoHo, would have a plaza at its base, a feature that would give the tower bonus development rights (Mr. Arzt said it will be 34 stories high).

Unlike the Trump SoHo, which offers buyers a controversial option to purchase a share of a room for a portion of the year, Mr. Arzt said the Extell building would be a pure hotel (the zoning allows for tall hotels; not condo towers). Extell, led by former diamond trader Gary Barnett, does not need any discretionary zoning approvals for the site—just a certification from the City Planning Commission that its plaza qualifies the project for the bonus development rights.

However, there are signs that Hudson Square’s tall hotel party may soon come to an end. A spokeswoman for City Planning said the agency has met with local elected officials and agrees with the community sentiment that the zoning needs to be reviewed in order to preserve the mixed-use character of the neighborhood.

Should there indeed be a zoning change that restricts future building heights after Extell’s hotel goes up, it would mark the second instance in Manhattan where Extell has a tower forever taller than the neighborhood. Mr. Barnett’s Ariel East and Ariel West towers at 100th Street and Broadway on the Upper West Side spawned a new height cap for the area of 145 feet, about 22 stories below the top of the taller Ariel tower.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
the branding of that name, even if Trump himself sometimes doesn't really have a lot to do with them. Any of those towers could easily have more glamorous sounding names.
For a certain type, perhaps. I consider the Trump name a negative - I wouldn't want to write my address as "Trump" anything. And most people that can afford apartments in a building like this think the same way.

Agreed on the fact that it's surrounded by smaller buildings being a plus. I'd never live in Midtown or the Financial District for that reason - but then you can only have so many tall buildings in low-rise neighborhoods by definition, which is why they will all command a premium in terms of price.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
You mean the ones that just got landmark status so they can't be torn down? haha. i know what you're talking about though. i work a block away from them and see them everyday. after a while, they grew on me and i kinda dig them. But they are regardless out of place there.

they got landmark status to prevent an NYU plan from building a fourth taller tower on the lot. So to prevent the new tower, they effectively made the current towers impossible to kill.
I think NYU plans to tear down Cole's Sports Center, which is part of that Silver Towers Complex. Coles is interesting on the inside since it extends a few stories underground, but the outside is horrible. I'd like to see something nice go up there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive