HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron70115 View Post
I've known many people from out of town who visited New Orleans, spent all their time or almost all their time near Bourbon Street. These people were fascinated by Bourbon Street but ultimately disgusted by it (As they should be. face it Bourbon Street is an embarrassment). They left thinking the city was dirty, dangerous, sleazy, and a good place to get drunk for a couple days but not a place they'd want to return to or live in.
I have a theory:

Based on a lot of things i've been observing lately, both official and anecdotal, i believe that there is a palpable change in tide in this city. People, mostly young educated professionals, are showing increasing interest in actually LIVING in New Orleans. And these people will be flocking to this city in the next decade (if things continue the way they seem to be going).

These people are not motivated by shiny resorts or festivals. New Orleans went against the grain in the 20th century and kept its walkable historic urban core while the rest of the south ravaged the city in favor of parking, highways, satalite suburbs, and towering concrete boxes. Katrina helped new orleans eliminate a few of the major hurdles it had: public school system, public housing, stagnant political machine (even if only in image).

Take it from a Texan, New Orleans is today exactly where Austin was in 1990 and has great potential. The key: focus on upstart companies, keep the local charm just clean it up a bit, do not allow the californians to take over like Austin did, and stop obsessing over attracting tourists they'll come to see the amazing city that results. Paris was built for Parisians, Atlantic City was built for the tourists. Which attracts more tourists? Which attracts more business? Which would you rather live in?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 6:13 AM
TL;DR

Preservation Magazine give a few more details on this one. It is an exact replica of the building that used to be here, and it will contain 9 big apartments with ground floor retail. The owners originally planned 8 stories of residential behind the historic facade without using tax credits - but they preferred to keep the original 2-story appearance.

They aren't eliminating the third story entirely, but they're pushing the facade back so the building will appear to be two stories from the street. Target for completion is December.

It used to be a roastery for French Market Coffee... long before that it was a funeral parlor of sorts where Jefferson Davis was embalmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I never realized the lake was clearer than it is now. I just always assumed it was really mucky. Can it ever be really clear though?
I'm no water expert by any means, but I do follow that link I posted earlier about the weekly water quality reports and the "Water Visibility" category varies drastically from week to week. Some weeks it's a few inches, some weeks it's a few feet. It usually depends on rainfall and wind stirring up the lake bottom.

I don't think it would be a stretch of the imagination if we returned the lakebed to healthy solid shells, instead of oxygen deprived dead muck, the sediment would not be stirred up as much, and the visibility would reach the 10-15' mark, where you could see the bottom again.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I'm no water expert by any means, but I do follow that link I posted earlier about the weekly water quality reports and the "Water Visibility" category varies drastically from week to week. Some weeks it's a few inches, some weeks it's a few feet. It usually depends on rainfall and wind stirring up the lake bottom.

I don't think it would be a stretch of the imagination if we returned the lakebed to healthy solid shells, instead of oxygen deprived dead muck, the sediment would not be stirred up as much, and the visibility would reach the 10-15' mark, where you could see the bottom again.
Blitzen is right in that the turbidity of the water is from a large array of factors. I don't know how turbid the water in lake Pontchatrain is naturally though. Some bodies of water are by nature that way and with the influx of invasive species (like zebra mussels) a body of water can be clearer than it is naturally & while this may look nice, it might be a display of an environment that is not in its natural balance. Anyway, I'm sure Lake Pontchatrain is definitely supposed to be clearer that it has been because of the saltwater intrusion and disturbing of those bottom feeders.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:15 PM

RTA Lakeview Terminal

I thought this project was dead, but it's resurrected. I think it's a great idea, as the current setup dumps you off in the middle of a busy intersection with nothing on either side but cemetery. With this new proposal, at least you're near a less crowded street, a convenience store, and a restaurant/bar.

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/s...ERvJ_vC1Q.cspx

http://www.fox8live.com/media/lib/13..._2.23.2012.pdf

Last edited by Blitzen; Feb 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:46 PM

Quote:
I thought this project was dead, but it's resurrected. I think it's a great idea, as the current setup dumps you off in the middle of a busy intersection with nothing on either side but cemetery. With this new proposal, at least you're near a less crowded street, a convenience store, and a restaurant/bar.

Is this the line going up Elysian Fields, through City Park and down to Canal?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie himself View Post
Is this the line going up Elysian Fields, through City Park and down to Canal?
No it's just a small extension of the Canal Street terminus at City Park Avenue in Mid-City. The idea is to connect the bus terminal with the streetcar terminal and revamp both.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 5:20 PM

Quote:

I live by this intersection and hope this project actually happens. Trying to get from the streetcar terminal at the end of Canal St. to the bus stop at the foot of Canal Blvd is almost impossible. There is no pedestrian walking path so people are literally just running and hoping cars slow down. While this would congest Canal Blvd, its still much safer and efficient to combine the bus and streetcar terminal.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolacat157 View Post
I live by this intersection and hope this project actually happens. Trying to get from the streetcar terminal at the end of Canal St. to the bus stop at the foot of Canal Blvd is almost impossible. There is no pedestrian walking path so people are literally just running and hoping cars slow down. While this would congest Canal Blvd, its still much safer and efficient to combine the bus and streetcar terminal.
Agreed. No one wants to cross City Park Avenue to catch the bus from the streetcar. Now, since they are extending it a few hundred feet to Canal Blvd., how can we get them to extend it North 6 blocks to the railroad underpass? A streetcar on Canal Blvd. would put Navarre on the map!

On an unrelated note, this article just posted about the Hornets' new contract says the New Orleans Arena will be getting some cosmetic upgrades!! Anyone know what that could entail? Could my birthday wish of the ugly green tile facade being replaced with glass/metal/stone finally come true???

http://www.abc26.com/news/newswithat...4209106.column

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:51 AM
TL;DR

^^ Doubt it. Any renovations will be focused on bringing in more revenue, so maybe more entertainment options or skyboxes or something.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:56 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ Doubt it. Any renovations will be focused on bringing in more revenue, so maybe more entertainment options or skyboxes or something.
Anything external would probably entail more palm trees, a new lighting system like the dome, new tv screens on the outside of building and Im guessing anything related to a naming rights deal! I thought I remember the LSEPD committee saying they liked the new lighting system for the dome so much they were hoping to do something similar next door.

Inside would most probably include lockerroom upgrades and maybe new jumbotron.

On a side note my friend said the new 1031 renderings are the best she has seen yet. I dont think its dramatically different than the last one we have seen but the scaling and what not are more appropriate and aesthetically pleasing according to her.

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 25, 2012 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:15 AM
TL;DR

^^ Oh, of course... external renovations will probably try to create viable outdoor space to complement Champions Square. Hopefully they can improve the ground level between the dome and the arena... slow down traffic, improve the pedestrian experience.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:41 AM
-

Link to the drawings for West End Park Renovations:

http://www.purchasing.cityofno.com/b...&parentUrl=bid

Click on the plans attachment to view drawings!

Bid deadline is March 7

Here is the link to plans for the Poydras Landscaping Plan too

Also here is a link to an RFP from the Piaza di Italia: It explains what the board is looking to do to improve and expand the parks uses

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 25, 2012 at 6:09 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 6:59 PM

Speaking of West End...

Duke's on the Basin, a new 4,000 sq. ft., 18 ft-high seafood restaurant broke ground next to Landry's. The ground level will be a seafood market and the top floor will be the restaurant. Grand opening 4th of July.

And the (new) New Basin Canal Lighthouse breaks ground Monday!

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/s...xdFNevtZg.cspx

Last edited by Blitzen; Feb 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 8:54 PM

Megabus coming to New Orleans

NEW YORK (WALA) - Residents in Mobile can now travel to New Orleans, La for as low as $1. Megabus.com , the widely popular city-to-city, express bus company annouce the addition of New Orleans to the Atlanta – Montgomery - Mobile, route. Service to and from New Orleans begins on April 2, 2012. Customers can begin booking travel at megabus.com.

Megabus.com will offer two daily departures to New Orleans. The New Orleans arrival/departure location is at Bienville Avenue between North Peters Street and North Front Boulevard, near the French Quarter.

Customers are encouraged to book early to secure $1 fares. Fares always start as low as $1 and get higher as the traveling date gets closer.

"Megabus.com has rapidly become the travel option of choice for millions of people and today we’re excited to expand our unique travel option to New Orleans,” said Dale Moser, president and COO of megabus.com.

Megabus.com, a subsidiary of Coach USA, launched in April 2006 and is one of the largest intercity express bus service providers in North America, transporting more than 15 million travelers. In addition to affordable fares, megabus.com offers customers state-of-the-art environmentally-friendly buses with free Wi-Fi, power outlets and restrooms.

Visit www.megabus.com for additional information about the service, schedules, arrival and departure times and fares.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 1:04 AM
-

Never heard of megabus but that is great news.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 6:31 AM
TL;DR

2 daily roundtrips! One leaves at 10 AM, the next at 9PM. The daytime trip takes 10 hours, the nighttime trip 9.5.

It's worth noting that this does the NOLA-Atlanta trip 2.5 hours faster than Amtrak at 1/8 the cost of an airline ticket. It's also much faster than the equivalent Greyhound route. It looks like the schedule includes a 30-minute stop in Montgomery. Unfortunately the Montgomery stop is in the outskirts in a strip mall parking lot.

Plus, Megabus offers free wi-fi and modern, clean buses.

Megabus doesn't maintain any stations - the only real estate they own is a few maintenance facilities for the buses. Since they're not paying for stations, they can sink tons of money into keeping their buses fresh, clean, and modern, unlike Greyhound or Trailways. Unfortunately Greyhound is able to keep Megabus away from existing transport hubs like the UPT, but it does mean that Megabus can move to an even more convenient location for travelers, right on the edge of the Quarter and only 2 blocks from Canal St hotels and transit lines.

Last edited by ardecila; Feb 26, 2012 at 6:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Never heard of megabus but that is great news.
I took a trip with Megabus from Detroit to Chicago about two years ago. It was definitely a great ride (clean, smooth, spacious, etc), and being on the upper deck gave an awesome view of the surrounding areas. It picked us up from a parking lot in the Detroit Suburbs near where we were staying, and it dropped us off about a block away from Union Station in Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:30 AM
TL;DR

That was my point about the Montgomery stop... It's great that New Orleans and Atlanta both have relatively healthy downtowns where Megabus passengers can walk to destinations or connect to transit, but many other Megabus stops are out in the middle of nowhere in soulless suburbia.

A key part of Megabus' business is students, so I wonder if we'll see service to BR or Tuscaloosa anytime soon. I guess you can already take Amtrak to Tuscaloosa and Birmingham whereas Montgomery and Mobile are not served.

I expect Megabus will eventually add a new hub in Houston and run NOLA-Houston service with a stop in BR. Lafayette is iffy.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:18 AM

I would still take the Amtrak first (just did for Mardi Gras) but yeah the more public transit options the better. I think it benefits everyone.

The buses (at least in Dc/NYC/Philly etc where I've taken them) still get caught in traffic, are much less spacious than trains etc.

Insane about the time though - Amtrak needs to speed the f*ck up. Still a popular service. Atlanta - New Orleans is such a natural for trains - especially with all the Alabama and Mississippi towns in between that benefit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations