HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 10:18 PM
Meh

Cool AUSTIN | Oracle Campus Phase I | Complete

http://news.blog.statesman.com/2015/...add-employees/
Quote:
Software giant Oracle to build major Austin campus, add employees

December 22, 2015

By Shonda Novak and Lori Hawkins
American-Statesman staff

Oracle Corp., the world’s second-largest software company, plans to build a new corporate campus on 27 acres overlooking Lady Bird Lake, just east of downtown Austin, the company confirmed to the American-Statesman on Tuesday.

With the new campus, Oracle plans to grow its Austin workforce by 50 percent over the next few years, the company said.

Oracle said its 560,000-square-foot corporate campus is planned for a site between South Lakeshore Boulevard and Elmont Drive. Oracle is buying the 27 acres of undeveloped land for an undisclosed price from Austin-based Cypress Real Estate Advisors. The purchase closed Tuesday, the company said.

Armour did not provide specifics on how many buildings the campus is expected to include, or a timetable for when construction might begin.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Mar 2, 2016 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 10:20 PM
Honored Member

Breaking news from ABJ re: huge Oracle campus:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...campus-in.html

Ahahaha, Kevin, you beat me to it! And yours comes with a complimentary sample of the text, and a big bold headline!

It's mind-blowing to think of what that part of the city was like only 10-15 years ago, and to see what it's becoming. We REALLY need world-class mass transit on the E. Riverside corridor to ABIA. Maybe this will help make it happen? It's great to see a corporation getting involved in the housing and transportation connection, by encouraging their employees to live near work.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:25 AM
World Traveler

So are we talking a high-rise on its side kinda thing? Either way, it'll be good to have this area be more than apartments and a few small stores. This will help boost some other growth around there. Hopefully it'll mean less new apartment complexes with surface lots, too.

...that is, of course, unless they decide to go Dell-style and just build a campus-style series of buildings with seas of parking lots...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
So are we talking a high-rise on its side kinda thing? Either way, it'll be good to have this area be more than apartments and a few small stores. This will help boost some other growth around there. Hopefully it'll mean less new apartment complexes with surface lots, too.

...that is, of course, unless they decide to go Dell-style and just build a campus-style series of buildings with seas of parking lots...
This was previously planned in this location. So it will probably be something similar as Ryan Companies is going to help them build it:
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...opment-on.html

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:24 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
...unless they decide to go Dell-style and just build a campus-style series of buildings with seas of parking lots...
My guess is that it'll be fairly low-rise, maybe like a scaled-down version of the Apple campus on Parmer. These tech companies love to sprawl over their acreage. I hope I'm wrong. In fact, considering that Oracle isn't in the manufacturing business and doesn't need a plethora of loading docks and massive horizontal space, maybe I'm way off, but I still think they'll probably keep it to 6 floors of working space at the most, and probably with parking garages rather than surface lots. All of this is pure uninformed speculation, mind you.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 5:11 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Holy Fuck that's beautiful design. Very unique and I love it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 8:28 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Holy Fuck that's beautiful design. Very unique and I love it.
Yup, I sport wood over that design but I'm not getting any hopes up because that was a separate proposal from the Oracle deal. However, if Oracle is interested in using it then I will personally service Oracle's.... uh, maybe that's not an appropriate, family-friendly sentence to finish. I'll just say I am in 100% agreement with you, wwmiv, that thing needs to be brought to fruition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
My only complaint is that it will likely be suburban in nature. 560,000 square feet on 27 acres? Let me guess, with acres of hot asphalt for parking, too? That should be in downtown in a single tower on a quarter acre, not in several buildings spread over more than 2 dozen acres. And you know it won't have any retail or face the street to draw people in. I don't care that the design is nice. It's like seeing a beautiful mountain and not being able to explore it because of the terrain between you and the mountain.
It would be tragic for them to pave the acreage for parking, but I bet they won't go that route. Hopefully the city can leverage some public assets out of it, like making the campus somewhat open to the public so that people can enjoy walking through the area. I don't think it's a good location for intensive commercial activity such as retail and large restaurants, but a few low-key cafes and a couple stores could mix in to the neighborhood well. We don't want the entire south shore urbanized, right? This seems to me like the ideal type of development to take place there. We can voice our opinions to the city that the campus should integrate well with the waterfront and not be a walled-off foreboding corporate campus along the lines of what makes Silicon Valley so alienating.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 5:33 AM
World Traveler

I do remember that rendering now - thanks. I think it's pretty nice, actually, so we'll see if they go with something similar. I'm not against all low-rises by any means, so long as it fits and is a good use of the space. This isn't in the downtown core and there's nothing exceptionally high around it. It'll fit at that height. What I don't like are seas of parking lots, so I hope they don't do that at least.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:09 AM
Meh

My only complaint is that it will likely be suburban in nature. 560,000 square feet on 27 acres? Let me guess, with acres of hot asphalt for parking, too? That should be in downtown in a single tower on a quarter acre, not in several buildings spread over more than 2 dozen acres. And you know it won't have any retail or face the street to draw people in. I don't care that the design is nice. It's like seeing a beautiful mountain and not being able to explore it because of the terrain between you and the mountain.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Let's not forget about the bats too.

Thanks for everyones opinions.

Regarding Oracle...The site is strategically located between DT and the airport. I wouldn't be suprised if that was one of the reasons they chose it. This is yet another example of why I think we will continue to see substantial growth with ABIA.
Probably will contribute to extra flight or flights to SFO. Oracle HQ is practically next door to SF airport.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2015, 7:16 AM

Of course The Oracle, but they have yet to disclose a timeline. I might add that Austin is building quite alot midrise buildings as well. There are so many of them it's hard to keep track. I notice 2 alone near Lakeline visiting a friend in Cedar Park.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:41 PM
Meh

This lists the address as 2401 South Lakeshore Boulevard

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18988...lvd-Austin-TX/

A site map was uploaded to the city's FTP site today under the same address. This lists the name as "Waterfront".

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...lvd)_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:43 PM
Meh

http://austintowers.net/oracle-a-for...ast-riverside/
Quote:
Oracle, a Fortune 100 Company, has purchased 27 acres in East Riverside

Over the past few years, developers have been steadily redeveloping a concentration of dilapidated rental housing just east of downtown along the waterfront and East Riverside Drive.

However, Oracle — the behemoth corporation that specializes in database software for other behemoth corporations — pretty much just blew that stagnant dichotomy out of the water by dropping a huge anchor there.

That huge anchor is a plan for a 560,000-square-foot state-of-the-art campus the company just unveiled, which will create waves of redevelopment much quicker than gentrification and population growth would have done eventually. The company said it plans to add about 500 employees over the next few years, presumably housing the majority at the campus. To that note, the company also purchased a nearby — yet unnamed — 295-unit apartment building to house workers.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:16 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:25 PM

Plans for the Waterfront, which is the Oracle Campus, were posted on the City's site.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...lvd)_PLANS.pdf

Here are images of the elevations and site plan that I pulled from the above PDF.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:39 AM
World Traveler

As long as things develop well around it, I don't consider this too bad. The massive front yard on the building (between Azul and the garage) can serve as a "public" park so long as they keep it open to the public. There's a lot of potential in this area, and as long as they stop with the massive surface lots on some of the developments, it could really be quite nice.

Old Posted May 21, 2016, 1:16 AM
Meh

Site plan with some colorized elevations.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...Blvd_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 11:08 PM

Oracle's Southeast Austin campus begins development, site work

Quote:
By Jan Buchholz
Aug 2nd. 2016

Oracle Corp. has started site work at its new Southeast Austin campus, the next step in a project that will transform a once-neglected section of the city that has experienced rapid gentrification in recent years.

The 25-acre site is near Lakeshore Boulevard and Pleasant Valley Road in the East Riverside Drive corridor. The parcel has been cordoned off by chainlink fencing and green tarps.
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...velopment.html

Old Posted Aug 13, 2016, 2:04 AM
クラブトクヨ

What apartment complexes were demolished to make room for this?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 11:03 PM

There will be six tower cranes going up for this according to FAA filings:

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...owsPerPage=500

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin