HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't like it when people throw that word (gentrification) around like it is the magic fix all for everything. It is not. That area is primarily business and education. What those vacant sites need is development, which was put on hold during the financial crisis. And that's because of the proximity to multiple modes of transit (multiple rail lines, air, and interstate). When you have that kind of access to transit, particularly the rail lines, you need dense development. And this will not just be a tower development with no pedestrian or streetlife.
I 100% agree, and what I'm hoping is that the neighborhood becoming nicer acts as a catalyst for further growth. I'm all for street life. A development like this adds much needed density. Newark has become much more desirable in the last 5 years, and it's in my own interest (real estate wise as I have a 6-family apartment) for the city to grow, hence my eagerness anytime I hear about a new development. Gentrification is not the answer, but it does help. Helps to push desirability.

If anything, I want Newark to go further, and eclipse Jersey City in every aspect. Given the transit in the area, the strategic location, it has some of the best potential. It's a culture rich city that is the jewel of NJ.

It does have its problems though, particularly crime, and corruption... but those are long term fixes. Luckily, there has been a reduction in crime, and I'm sure providing jobs and opportunities for the residences is the key to seeing a reduction (along with better schools, ect.). But without going on a tangent, 2000 units!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:53 AM
New Yorker for life

^ It just needs that development because the space is so prime and ripe for it. The site just across the street (the old Lincoln Hotel site) currently has dirt moving, but I don't know what that's about because they always seem to be starting something and then nothing happens. But on the opposite side of the river in Harrison, similar developments (residential with some retail storefronts) have already taken shape. It's nice to see this along the riverfront also. I'm not sure how they are going to activate the eastern (Rt 21) side.

Anyway, I believe the rendering so far to be pretty much a concept. The office portion is pretty sizable for Newark (400,000 sf) and from the rendering in this presentation would be higher than the residential buildings.

https://re-nj.com/newark-stadium-red...at-nrbp-forum/

Newark stadium redevelopment, other projects on display at NRBP forum

Ben Korman, CEO of Lotus Equities, discusses his firm’s plans for redeveloping the former Newark Bears stadium in Newark.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 4:39 AM

Nice! This is vital for Newark.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Moving past the conceptual stage...

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/2/5/16973...ark-new-jersey

Newark will soon be home to one of the country’s largest timber buildings
It was designed by Michael Green Architecture, a firm known for timber buildings

By Emily Nonko
Feb 5, 2018

Quote:
The New York real estate firm Lotus Equity Group is taking on an ambitious project in Newark, New Jersey: Today, the firm announced plans to develop a 500,000-square-foot office building made of timber.

“The vision we share with Michael Green is to design the most environmentally sustainable office tower that enhances the health of tenants and the surrounding communities through efficient planning and green design,” Ben Korman, founder of Lotus Equity Group, said in a press release.

The timber structure will anchor an 11-acre mixed-use waterfront development known as Riverfront Square. Located on the site of the former Newark Bears and Eagles Riverfront Stadium and the old Lincoln Motel, it'll include up to 2,000 residential units, large and small-scale retail, cultural and public open space, a hotel, two million square feet of office space, and parking. Nearby, Riverfront Park will be designed by James Corner Field Operations, which is also working on Domino Park on the Williamsburg waterfront.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

Absolutely No Smoking

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:35 AM
New Yorker for life

Looks like this will be more massive than I thought. More in the link.

https://riverfrontsq.com/?utm_campai...utm_medium=ban

Last edited by NYguy; Jun 18, 2018 at 11:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 10:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Newark gets it. The boom is coming!

This is the kind of high quality units the city needs. This is progress done right!

The Teachers Village was a good attempt, but this is the "magnitude" that is needed for this NJ jewel of a city.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:12 PM
New Yorker for life

You always need density where your major transit centers are, and this along with the project across the street will give that.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 5:32 AM

During the Planning Board meeting at the end of last year, the tallest tower of Phase 2 is listed as 60 floors, and is adjacent to a narrow 27 story hotel.

The thing I especially love about that is the fact that the midrises of Phase 1 are all clearly shown with the almost exact details regarding their street level experience. Particular fears were that the McCarter Highway frontage on the lower right would be a fortress and that they would try to seal off public access from the street into the development.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 12:59 PM

The midrises near McCarter Hwy look like motels or slightly better versions of housing projects. The rest I like.

But lol at the Airtrain in the 2nd pic. The city subway cars(light rail) look nothing like that.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 6:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
During the Planning Board meeting at the end of last year, the tallest tower of Phase 2 is listed as 60 floors, and is adjacent to a narrow 27 story hotel.

The thing I especially love about that is the fact that the midrises of Phase 1 are all clearly shown with the almost exact details regarding their street level experience. Particular fears were that the McCarter Highway frontage on the lower right would be a fortress and that they would try to seal off public access from the street into the development.
That was a concern. I was wondering how they were going to deal with that elevation. Also, on the opposite side of the bridge, the Harrison development explosion continues. I used to walk across that bridge, so there could be pedestrian traffic both way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
The midrises near McCarter Hwy look like motels or slightly better versions of housing projects. The rest I like.

But lol at the Airtrain in the 2nd pic. The city subway cars(light rail) look nothing like that.

The rail cars don't look like that. But in the end, the residential buildings probably won't look like that either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverf...tadium_station

Old Posted Jun 27, 2018, 12:07 AM
New Yorker for life

https://jerseydigs.com/riverfront-sq...ings-revealed/

Renderings Revealed for Ambitious Riverfront Square Development in Newark

By Chris Fry
June 26, 2018

Quote:
The planned revitalization of the former Newark Bears Stadium into a mixed-use community is arguably the biggest project in the Brick City, and the look and feel of the plan is now clearer following the release of full site renderings.

The development, known as Riverfront Square, kicked off in October 2016 when a 7.5-acre tract at 450 Broad Street was purchased by Lotus Equity Group for $23.5 million. The company later acquired another property at 422 Broad Street adjacent to NJ Transit’s rail tracks, bringing the project’s total footprint to about 12 acres.
Quote:
Lotus Equity announced their intentions to tear down the former minor league baseball stadium on the site and replace it with a vision that included office buildings, residential housing, retail, pedestrian plazas, and open space. The first component they will construct resembles three buildings linked by atriums and will be America’s largest timber office complex when completed, but the initial phase of the project will also include two residential buildings and a 2,923-space parking garage.
Quote:
...The second phase of Riverfront Square will develop the land abutting the rail tracks into two buildings, with the tallest being slated for office use and the other for a 240-room hotel

...The third and final phase of the development will consist of a tall, skinny, glass-heavy residential tower along Broad Street, almost directly next to the 494 Broad Street building. All told, the most recent version of the project is set to include a total of 2,526 residential units, 48 live/work units, over 2.2 million square feet of office and commercial space, a 240-room hotel, 102,144 square feet of retail, and five acres of open space.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:59 PM
New Yorker for life

Amazon version...

https://www.6sqft.com/newark-complex...allest-towers/

Newark complex designed as Amazon HQ2 bid would include the city’s tallest towers

SEPTEMBER 4, 2018
BY MICHELLE COHEN

Quote:
Since the announcement that Amazon would be choosing the city that would host its second headquarters by the end of the year, competition between contenders has been heating up. 6sqft reported last month that Newark, still in the running along with Los Angeles, Denver, Miami, New York, Boston, three sections of the Washington, D.C., region and Toronto, approved a shiny new incentive in the form of ordinances offering nearly $1 billion in payroll tax exemptions to companies that create at least 30,000 jobs and invest $3 billion in the city over 20 years. Now, Jersey Digs reports that a group consisting of local residents and a California-based architecture firm have come up with a snazzy proposal for Amazon’s HQ2 that includes a location and designs for a futuristic complex that would include Newark’s tallest towers.
Quote:
Fifth Avenue North Partners, headed by Jim Bardia and Joel Levin, has revealed some designs by Heller Manus Architects, the firm who designed some of San Francisco’s tallest buildings–including the San Francisco headquarters of Facebook and Pinterest. The proposed HQ would be a huge energy-efficient complex near Interstate 280 that would span both sides of Broad Street.

It would include a 60-story tower at the old Westinghouse site south of the Newark Broad Street station and a 55-story tower at the site of the Newark Bears and Eagles Riverfront Stadium. With a planned six million square feet of office space within, the two towers would be the city’s tallest.

Smaller surrounding buildings would include a hotel, apartments and retail space as well as bike paths, moving sidewalks, solar panels, green roofs and ferry service on the Passaic River.
Quote:
However, the properties where the new complex would be built are not owned by Fifth Avenue North, and the group’s proposal wasn’t part of the city’s formal application to Amazon in 2017. In fact, most of the lots in question are already the sites of proposed developments, though construction has yet to begin on any of them. Levin confirmed that the plan is only conceptual and no formal agreement has been made with the property owners or the Newark Community Economic Development Corporation (NCEDC), but that he has met with key stakeholders and is hoping the project will be considered.

Lotus Equity Group is planning their Riverfront Square project–a hotel, a public plaza, apartments and multiple office buildings–on both the former Newark Bears property and the former Lincoln Motel site. Plans for an office tower have also resurfaced for the long-vacant Westinghouse site.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:13 PM

https://jerseydigs.com/riverfront-sq...ment-approved/

Jersey Digs has the scoop

It's a lot of parking planned on what's already complete gridlock during rush hour. They need to take more of an advantage of Newark Light Rail station on the property and the easy connection to NJ Transit and PATH.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

I like everything about this project and I hope it all comes to fruition.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I could of swore I read somewhere that the tallest tower would be chopped from the overall final project. I hope its wrong!

Newark needs the space.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just want to point out the parking spaces. For anybody who's been to the area, traffic is quite bad around the neighborhood, and its a shame so much room is being devoted to parking. Given the bus routes and light rail proximity (which goes to Penn).

3100 parking units is too much. Even with a conference/hotel, its an asinine number and not what I'd call wise for the traffic health of the area.

Newark needs to up the light rail frequency and volume capacity.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 12:09 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Build it now!!!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Riverfront Square will stitch Newark, New Jersey’s tech corridor together

Quote:
Could Newark, New Jersey, be the Northeast’s next big tech hub? It already boasts the region’s most advanced fiber-optic network and serves as home to digital giants like Audible.com, an Amazon company. No wonder it was a top contender for HQ2. Though it didn’t win the bid, one major project that’s been in planning for three years could raise the city’s status to the next level.

otus has tapped TEN Arquitectos, Michael Green Architecture, Minno & Wasko, and Practice for Architecture & Urbanism (PAU) to design individual buildings for the 12-acre site as part of a masterplan by PAU. Built out in seven phases, the project will sit atop the old Newark Bears baseball stadium, which will be demolished later this year to make way for the first housing structure, a curved linear building built over a five-story, mixed-used base clad in brick. Designed by PAU, the elongated structure will be set at the edge of Riverfront Square along the Essex Freeway.

In an interview with AN in 2017, Vishaan Chakrabarti of PAU said the city lacks a “connective tissue” to link its many cultural and educational institutions together. Riverfront Square, he said, will be a sort of “renaissance for Newark” with a focus on tech. Initial renderings reveal the first four phases of construction, which will add 1,300 workforce housing units and half-a-million square-feet of commercial office space to the site. Phase 1 of construction is set to break ground this summer.

An upcoming development in the heart of downtown Newark promises to be a vital, mixed-use community for innovative companies. Riverfront Square, envisioned by local firm Lotus Equity Group, will be built steps away from the Passaic River and feature up to 2.3 million square feet of office, residential, hospitality, cultural space, and more within the city’s burgeoning tech sector, the Broad Street Corridor.

At the core of the development will be a mass timber building, touted as the tallest of its kind in the United States, by Vancouver architect Michael Green. The 12-story office structure appears in renderings to be three separate structures, but in reality, the building features a continuous floorplate connected by a full-height atrium. With 500,000 square feet of office space, it will also include ground floor retail, a café, and restaurants to help ignite what the developers want to become a 24/7 district. It will be built on the site’s southwestern corner.
====================
https://archpaper.com/2019/02/riverfront-square-newark/

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:40 AM
New Yorker for life

This is exciting.

Quote:
Phase 1 of construction is set to break ground this summer.
I'm assuming they mean taking down the stadium to get things underway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals