HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Apr 27, 2006, 11:59 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
Hello Smiley,

I'm another Fargoan!

I read you mentioned that Konrad Olson is thinking about building a 20+ story hotel/office/condo tower on the river front. Do you have ANY information on that, or could you elaborate some more.

Downtown Fargo is awesome. It's getting better every year. It would be great to see another tall building added to the skyline in the future! I heard though we have a height restriction on downtown buildings due to the FAA and jetliners flying close by downtown on their approach to the airport. I thought I remembered reading something about it in the Forum when the Radisson developers were talking about the height of that building (there's a myth it is actually taller than the state capitol building and law prevents ANY new building from being built taller, which of course is balogna). Anyways, they said they built it just short of the airspace limit for that approach-way.

Any comments?
NanoBison?? You have got to be kidding me!! Are you on the Bisonville message board?? I'm "TheBisonator" over on that board!! If you've ever seen me talk about my architecture interest over on Bisonville, you'd see that this board is a natural fit for me.

Anyway, about that Konrad Olson vision, all I know is that he wants to build something like that on the riverfront, but I don't know if it goes farther than that. I read in the Forum that the height limit for downtown Fargo (at least back in 1985) is the 207 feet tall that the Radisson Hotel is, because of FAA regulations. But I'm not sure if that's the complete case. At least you can go as high as 242 feet in North Dakota (State Capitol height). If it takes a personal appointment with Konrad, I would get more info if I could.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2006, 12:01 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
BIG NEWS! The Hornbacher's in southwest Fargo in the Shops at Osgood opens today!
I was there yesterday. Gate City Bank and a post office also opened up there. Also to come are a Caribou Coffee, Extreme Pita, Jaz Hair Salon and the Property Resources Group offices.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2006, 12:16 PM
Honored Member

I got some more news on downtown loft conversions: I saw on the news earlier this week that planning was underway on the Union Storage and Transfer lost conversions. It will be 56 loft-style apartments for low to middle-income renters. I'm not sure though when construction will start.

Also, I was at the NDSU Downtown campus, when I saw a flyer for new loft construction at Bristol Place on the 400 block of Broadway. It's 5 storeys tall, and is currently under construction. I did not even know this project existed. I'm gonna have to go over there sometime and check it out.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2006, 5:28 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

Other Development

I can't remember if it's already been mentioned but here is another development Terry Stroh is working on. Looks like those units are going fast :

http://www.tlstroh.com/fargoan.htm

Old Posted Apr 28, 2006, 5:47 AM

Possible New Tower in Fargo

In terms of the Konrad Olson idea for a tower, I think it would be great if he could pull it off. What I'd really like to see in downtown is our first 30+ floors tower. I think it is very doable as long as it was mixed use. Get another decent hotel (aside from the Radisson and Ramada) (maybe say a Marriott, Westin, or something along those lines) and that can occupy the first 20 floors. It would have a spacious gathering place/conference center as well. The next 5 or so floors could be private condos and lofts. The remaining 5-10 floors could be for prime office space. I know we have many businesses in the Metro area that could fill that space. Heck we could probably lure some decent firms from Minneapolis, Denver or Chicago, if the price was right and they received some sort of corporate tax relief. Imagine a branch of Lockheed Martin, IBM, or some other large corporation occupying that space!!! Anyways, I'd like to see the building have a very professional look to it. If at the same time it could take into account the older styles of the other buildings that would be great too. I'm sure at that point we'd have to fight the FAA on building height restrictions, but I think it would definitely be worth it.

The other thought I have always had, was that they should take the lot that the ABC Adult Bookstore and FPS Products is on and put another 20+ building for low and middle income families. There's been alot of gruff lately since that section of the market is never being filled and the Fargo Housing Authority waiting lists for assistance continue to grow and grow. The block is directly across from the Bus station, so that's another plus for those tenants. The first couple of floors could also be retail as well.

My third wish is to someday get a NICE performing arts center downtown. I think the spot occupied by Mid-America Steel would be perfect (just need to insulate the building enough so you can't hear the trains). I picture a $50-$150 million dollar building that would take anyones breathe away.

Imagine what downtown Fargo-Moorhead would look like at that point!!!
If we get enough people downtown, it will become quite a lively place!!!

I've got tons of other ideas I would always like to see Fargo do, especially downtown. I'll post them in weeks to come (Once school is finished up for the semester).

Old Posted Apr 28, 2006, 5:51 AM

I think sometime this summer, if I get a new digital camera, I'll do a little tour like Smiley did and show the city when it's really nice, so those with the East Coast and West Coast Bias can see what a nice city it really is. Then they can go bite it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 7:38 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison
Hello Smiley,

I'm another Fargoan!

I read you mentioned that Konrad Olson is thinking about building a 20+ story hotel/office/condo tower on the river front. Do you have ANY information on that, or could you elaborate some more.

Downtown Fargo is awesome. It's getting better every year. It would be great to see another tall building added to the skyline in the future! I heard though we have a height restriction on downtown buildings due to the FAA and jetliners flying close by downtown on their approach to the airport. I thought I remembered reading something about it in the Forum when the Radisson developers were talking about the height of that building (there's a myth it is actually taller than the state capitol building and law prevents ANY new building from being built taller, which of course is balogna). Anyways, they said they built it just short of the airspace limit for that approach-way.

Any comments?

WELCOME!!!!!!!!! I am soo happy to have another Fargo-Moorhead forumer on here! If you have any news feel completely free to share it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 7:55 PM
still here

Has anyone ever been to www.emporis.com before?

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 10:32 PM

I've been to Emporis before, and it still lists the now defunct CityScapes Plaza project on its buildings list for Fargo as "proposed". It needs to be moved to the "never built" category.

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 11:00 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichert
I've been to Emporis before, and it still lists the now defunct CityScapes Plaza project on its buildings list for Fargo as "proposed". It needs to be moved to the "never built" category.

You're telling me. I liked the building but I don't think we need a whole other arena just yet. I think we need a nice theatre house

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 11:06 PM
Steel City USA

Ya emporis is a good site. If you go to Cleveland you will see the 1,300 foot Ameritrust tower that was never built. Welcome to the forum. By the way they really need to update the Cleveland part on emporis. They have crappy photos of Cleveland.

Old Posted May 2, 2006, 11:11 PM
Steel City USA

Whoops sorry the 1,197 foot Ameritrust tower.

Old Posted May 4, 2006, 3:57 AM
still here

I personally have an idea for downtown Fargo as well. I origanally wanted this skyscraper to be on the Fargo Cineama Grill block but since there is all that renovation, it wouldn't make sense to take it down. Anyways, I imagine a 30+ storey glass skyscraper with a department store as well. That's kind of hard to think of so I will go into detail. The east half of the block would be set aside for a department store such as Von Maur. This building would be brick and sort of similar to the new buildings in downtown Moorhead except this departement store would be all one brick type and well, bigger. I would either have this building be two or three storeys. I know that it would be hard to manage a department store downtown but once it is there I think people will go to it.

On the west half side of the block I would have a dinner theatre, a Northstar Coffee and an upscale restaurant on the first floor. As I said on another post that most Fargoans want some sort of theatre arts venue instead of another sports arena. The dinner theatre would take up a couple floors for sound and all but that could be not a problem. On top of the dinner theatre, restaurant and coffe shop, I would put the glass skyscraper starting with another 9 storeys of retail. The next 15 storeys would be some offices. As Nanobison said it would be cool to have some big company like IBM come in. The final 5 storeys would be luxury condominums. The top floor would be the penthouse. This building would have underground parking. Its just an idea and I would like people's feedback so please reply.

Old Posted May 6, 2006, 4:56 AM
Honored Member

A developer wants to build a new development on 19th Ave. NORTH, kitty-corner to the Fargodome, and across the street from the NDSU campus.

Developer targets 19th Ave. N.
Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Friday, May 05, 2006

A developer will approach the Fargo City Commission on Monday to gauge support for a redevelopment project at the northeast corner of 19th Avenue North and University Drive.

Roers Development Inc. of Fargo is asking the city to create a tax-increment financing (TIF) district to help develop the land, kitty-corner from the Fargodome, into an office, commercial and college housing area.

President Jim Roers said his proposed project would boost the combined value of the properties from $854,900 to more than $14 million.

In a letter to commissioners, Roers said his company has options to buy seven privately owned properties, totaling 2.74 acres, for the project.

Roers declined to identify the properties in an interview Thursday, saying he’s still finalizing the option agreements and wants to get a feel for whether the commission would support a TIF district before releasing details about the project.

“That area of town has seen great retail growth and great retail opportunity, as well as always had need for student housing, and that’s why we saw the opportunity there,” he said.

In his letter to commissioners, Roers said the property within the proposed TIF district “is in dire need of redevelopment,” given its proximity to North Dakota State University, the Fargodome, Hector International Airport and the North Dakota Air National Guard base, as well as NDSU’s Research and Technology Park and the Fargo Skills and Technology Center.

“The corner of 19th Avenue North and University is a gateway to the city, one of the first intersections viewed by visitors to the city coming from the airport,” he wrote.

The properties targeted for redevelopment currently have a combined assessed value of $854,900, generating less than $30,000 in property taxes annually, Roers wrote.

“Our preliminary analysis indicates a post-redevelopment value in excess of $14 million, which would generate more than $300,000 annually in taxes,” he wrote.

Revenue generated by the TIF district would be used to assist with the costs of demolition, business relocation and infrastructure costs, Roers wrote.

Cities typically create TIF districts in blighted or underdeveloped areas. The revenue comes from the additional taxes captured on the property as its taxable value increases with redevelopment.

City Commissioner Linda Coates, who has spoken with the developer about the project, said TIF districts are a touchy issue right now.

“We’re all trying to accomplish the goal of lowering, or at least not raising, the level of property taxes,” she said. “And because TIFs are based on increasing property taxes over time and capturing that increment, it makes the future of TIFs kind of fuzzy.”

Still, Coates said she favors studying a TIF for Roers’ project, adding it may have to be a modified version of the current TIF structure.

“I think it looks like a terrific development,” she said. “I think it would be a real boost to both that area of north Fargo and to the NDSU community.”

Old Posted May 6, 2006, 4:57 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest
I personally have an idea for downtown Fargo as well. I origanally wanted this skyscraper to be on the Fargo Cineama Grill block but since there is all that renovation, it wouldn't make sense to take it down. Anyways, I imagine a 30+ storey glass skyscraper with a department store as well. That's kind of hard to think of so I will go into detail. The east half of the block would be set aside for a department store such as Von Maur. This building would be brick and sort of similar to the new buildings in downtown Moorhead except this departement store would be all one brick type and well, bigger. I would either have this building be two or three storeys. I know that it would be hard to manage a department store downtown but once it is there I think people will go to it.

On the west half side of the block I would have a dinner theatre, a Northstar Coffee and an upscale restaurant on the first floor. As I said on another post that most Fargoans want some sort of theatre arts venue instead of another sports arena. The dinner theatre would take up a couple floors for sound and all but that could be not a problem. On top of the dinner theatre, restaurant and coffe shop, I would put the glass skyscraper starting with another 9 storeys of retail. The next 15 storeys would be some offices. As Nanobison said it would be cool to have some big company like IBM come in. The final 5 storeys would be luxury condominums. The top floor would be the penthouse. This building would have underground parking. Its just an idea and I would like people's feedback so please reply.
Someone get me a towel, I'm drooling over here!!!

Old Posted May 6, 2006, 7:06 PM
still here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy
Someone get me a towel, I'm drooling over here!!!
Thanks.

I also found out that Fargo-Moorhead Wahpeton area is ranked as 179 in population. This is at www.demographia.com under the U.S. Metro Areas as an icon in the upper right hand corner. Sioux Falls is 180 and Chico, California is 178.

Oh. And finally, the prime real-estate on 42nd Ave. South, I-29, & I-94 has gone on the market. I guess that farmer finally caved in and I'm sure this area will boom faster then a bomb. uh ya. bomb.

Last edited by F-Misthebest; May 9, 2006 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2006, 12:37 PM
Honored Member

I saw on KVLY news that some Las Vegas developers want to build another huge development, this time on the corner of 52nd Ave. south and I-29, where the SuperTarget is supposed to be.

Here's a recap of what was said:

http://www.kvlytv11.com/artman/publi...icle_201.shtml

Old Posted May 9, 2006, 10:48 PM
still here

I saw that on the news last night as well but I saw it on KX4 instead. I saw that it was supposed be where the Super Target is suppposed to be and I thought that was strange, but oh well. It said that it would have some big box retailers in it and so maybe the Super Target would be incorperated. The developer is supposed to buy some of the land by the end of the week.

Oh. I can get some more information on the "Brandt Development" because it turns out I am friends with Ace's daughter. So I will post new information as soon as possible.

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 3:59 AM

Now this is what I'm talking about. Two MAJOR projects going up in Fargo, both over 250 acres!!! If anyone finds anything more out on this, please post it ASAP!

Here is two links to the Brandt Development I know of :

http://www.brandtholdings.com/realestate.html

http://www.urbanplainsbybrandt.com/

Looks pretty impressive.

Old Posted May 10, 2006, 4:08 AM

Possible Microsoft Expansion

Other bit of news I heard when listening in on the information session for the new Microsoft positions. The gentlemen who runs the Fargo Microsoft site said they are VERY close on announcing a 3rd building for the south Fargo campus. He said the market of Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Area allows them to pay the highest wages in the area and at the same time do business much cheaper than in Silicon Valley, Redmond, San Francisco or Seattle. Hence, there has been a decent amount of interest from other groups on the Redmond Campus of moving positions out to Fargo, just because it's cheaper and we have the same talented people they are looking for.

Finally, someone asked about expansion, (the 3rd building announcement was part of that), but the gentlemen went on to say that Microsoft is very committed to Fargo and the "Master Plan" for the campus is to have 5-6 buildings on campus within the next several years. (My estimates would put the total number of jobs from Microsoft at that point above the 2,000 mark). So needless to say, it's more good news for the region!

So when are we going to seriously start building some taller buildings downtown??? I'm talking 30+ floors. (We'll fight the FFA on the flight plans if we need to...)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest