HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 6:35 PM

Another local establishment, that I guess has been so well received that they are expanding out of state is Kneaders. The bread itself, pastries, sandwiches, are all the highest quality ingredients and very tasty. The service is usually friendly and excellent.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 6:48 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Since there isn't a whole lot of development news I like that we are talking about great local places to eat. We all obviously have our favorites but it's nice to hear of others.

Another Tai food place is Faustina on 3rd S about 450 E. Ah Sushi on 100 S under Martine, Lambs Cafe of course, Sho-gun sushi on Main St and 320 S, it's open until 2 on the weekends, so it's great to go there after a club or bar. I almost forgot one, Mo's Grill on W. Temple, across the street from Port O' Call and directly in Front of the W Lounge (if any of you know were that is)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 6:57 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
Since there isn't a whole lot of development news I like that we are talking about great local places to eat. We all obviously have our favorites but it's nice to hear of others.

Another Tai food place is Faustina on 3rd S about 450 E. Ah Sushi on 100 S under Martine, Lambs Cafe of course, Sho-gun sushi on Main St and 320 S, it's open until 2 on the weekends, so it's great to go there after a club or bar. I almost forgot one, Mo's Grill on W. Temple, across the street from Port O' Call and directly in Front of the W Lounge (if any of you know were that is)

Lamb Cafe???

I love lamb. Do you people out there have a "Smith's and Wollinsky"?

(Best rack of lamb I have ever had... 24 oz of dry-aged meat.)

-sb

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 8:06 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

It's a place right on Main St called Lambs cafe, it has been in business since 1919, and in that location since 1939. Yes they do serve lamb, and if you come to visit it is a must see.
You can check them out online at http://lambsgrill.com/

We don't have a smiths and wollinsky's however.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Another Tai food place is Faustina on 3rd S about 450 E.
Faustina is nice, but unless the menu has changed since I last ate there, it isn't Thai.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 8:27 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Maybe it wasn't Thai food, all I remember is that I had curry while I was there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 8:35 PM
Chairman

Quote:
It's a place right on Main St called Lambs cafe, it has been in business since 1919, and in that location since 1939. Yes they do serve lamb, and if you come to visit it is a must see.
You can check them out online at http://lambsgrill.com/

We don't have a smiths and wollinsky's however.

I am already after I saw the menu.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 9:16 PM

There are way too many good local restaurants to settle for a chain. I can't remember the last national chain that I ate at. I think it was probably the California Pizza Kitchen by Disneyland back in Sept. I usually eat lunch downtown 2-3 times a week and try to hit a new restaurant each time. You would be suprised how many good little cafes there are in the lobbies or basements of downtown buildings.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 9:23 PM
Wen Lambo

I just ate at Thai Chili Gardens on 800N in Orem today... AMAZING Massaman Curry!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 10:04 PM

Faustina is not Thai, it has some Thai style cuisine but also comfort foods, and some interesting takes on classic dishes. Try their ribs next time your there.. they are awesome but not cheap

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 10:23 PM

New development approved at Fireclay

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11516286

The city has approved the 26-acre, mixed-use Fireclay Villages, which Murray leaders hope will spur more construction near a TRAX stop on 4400 South 100 West.

The Fireclay Redevelopment Area is a 97-acre project created near the light-rail station. Through an RDA, developers can receive part of the property tax generated through the increase in land value from improvements.

Created in 2005, only one new building graces the former smelting site -- a lag many credit to the slowed economy.

"It's definitely impacted it," said Murray's Community and Economic Development Director Tim Tingey. "But the fortunate thing for us is we've got very good developers that are trying to adjust to these market trends." ....

Last edited by arkhitektor; Jan 21, 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
There are several chipolte's in the Salt Lake Area, but I am wondering what everyones fascination is with Chipolte. I think they lack somewhat in actual flavor, I personally prefer Cafe Rio, much more than Chipolte, they have much more flavor. Barbacoa is much more similar to Chipolte and it's more local.

That's the one thing that often times bugs me on here is that eveyone says they are all for local businesses and neighborhood retail, but everyone is all up in arms excited for the potential of national chains coming to town. National chains don't make a neighborhood unique, they make it just like any other neighborhood in the country. So rather than get all pee your pants excited because Chipolte has moved in or anticipating In n Out burger coming to town, find some local places to support, like Barbacoa, Cafe Rio, Millie's Drive in on 21st S or Iceberg, I could go on an on. These are the places that make a neighborhood or region unique and interesting.
Umm......ok. First, ooch. I won't ever bring Chipotle up again *slides chicken fajita out of view*. Second, I deffinately disagree with you on this issue. I love certain chains, though I do support local businesses as well. There can be a balance of both. I love chains because they tend have better return policies (I change my mind on purchases a lot), they are much cheaper, and they offer some comfort of home when everything around you is so different when you travel somewhere. I love being able to go to a new city and still be able to walk into a Target and find everything I need, grab a Subway chicken breast footlong for lunch, and slurp a Jamba Juice while I walk around. After the initial culture shock wares off, then I wander out to explore the local businesses.

I would frequent Trader Joe's for groceries, which is a 3-state, West Coast chain (so it doesn't feel like a huge chain) when I lived in Calif. Here in Utah, I love Harmons and do all my shopping there (local chain). I also go to Arctic Circle (local chain) on the rare occasions that I actually eat fast food. When I'm down town two or three times per week, I will often stop by a random local joint to grab something to eat. Whole Foods, though it is national, still has that local, personal feel to it. I remember the one in Walnut Creek had special dishes unique to the area (like the Walnut Creek Pizza, which was made with toppings from local farms). Target is an all American company, which is nice, but it also feels comfortable inside (unlike Walmart, which feels like being in a massive factory with no personal appeal to the disign at all - not to mention their policies, but I won't start because I will lose it). Then, Target also donates 5% of it's income to the Unided Way and Salvation Army and 1% of local store sales to the community it is in.

I'm not asking you to go to any chains, but respect those of us who enjoy some of them.

How does dancing around in a banana suit involve peeing my pants? As much as I love to be mocked about my personal tastes and preferences, I will keep them quiet from now on...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
New development approved at Fireclay

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_11516286

The city has approved the 26-acre, mixed-use Fireclay Villages, which Murray leaders hope will spur more construction near a TRAX stop on 4400 South 100 West.

The Fireclay Redevelopment Area is a 97-acre project created near the light-rail station. Through an RDA, developers can receive part of the property tax generated through the increase in land value from improvements.

Created in 2005, only one new building graces the former smelting site -- a lag many credit to the slowed economy.

"It's definitely impacted it," said Murray's Community and Economic Development Director Tim Tingey. "But the fortunate thing for us is we've got very good developers that are trying to adjust to these market trends." ....
Here are some pictures of the current building and what is going in next, at least in the portion that the company I work for is developing:

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:07 AM

ok, in the last month is it? These are the places I've patronized:

Local:
Cafe Med (Really like the kooftah, the kabobs, the hummus, and the Turkish yogurt pasta. Service is sometimes a bit choppy.)

Blue Plate Diner (Everything is awesome, and I do mean everything. If you are going for brunch during the weekend, be prepared for a crowd.)

The Other Place (My old reliable for Sunday brunch. Love the chicken breast pieces with rice, or the omelets. Friendly service, fun clientele.)

Tandoor (Indian on 3300 South. Only been open for a bit over a year, but the food was great, and the atmosphere was really nice.)

Golden Dragon (I've settled on this Chinese joint lately, though all in my area are really good--Little World and Ho-Ho Gourmet are the other ones. They are all owned by branches of the same family. Golden Dragon delivers!)

Curry in a Hurry (Oh so delicious halal curry. Spend a bit extra for the combo so you can get some veggies with your chicken curry, rice, and pita. I like the curry potatoes or spinach and curry potatoes. Also delicious home-made samosas)

Mad Greek (A small local chain, but still great. Tasty gyros and french fries, the also serve great omelets and dinner plates.)

Crown Burger (Another small local chain, also still great. There is an awesome chicken tenders dinner. I can't eat the full on pastrami burger anymore, but there is a much more manageable junior pastrami burger.)

The Soup Kitchen (Reliable, tasty, and friendly. Surprisingly filling for soup and sandwiches.)

Millies Burgers (Good quality, old-fashioned, drive-in experience.)

Chains:

Arctic Circle (I really like the one on 1700 South!)
Gandolfo's (I've been eating at the one in Sugarhouse, but the one on Main Street downtown is much, much better!)
Quizno's
Arby's
Chili's

Chili's was by far the worst meal out of the bunch--greasy and over-flavored. As a single guy who eats out a lot, I can definitely tell that quality is better at local joints--for the most part, they take pride in what they put on your plate, and there is a certain degree of artistry. I'll take Curry in a Hurry over McDonalds any day. In fact, it's been almost a couple years since I've eaten at McDonalds.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 3:56 AM
Wen Lambo

I know Gandolfos is a chain now, but it kind of has a local flair... it started in Provo back in '89

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_logic View Post
I would frequent Trader Joe's for groceries, which is a 3-state, West Coast chain (so it doesn't feel like a huge chain) when I lived in Calif.
Just an FYI, Trader Joe's is a national chain (with a representative store in just under half of the 50 states).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrent77 View Post
Just an FYI, Trader Joe's is a national chain (with a representative store in just under half of the 50 states).

Wow! They sure have grown! It looks like they're in 22 states now! It's nice to see organic grocery stores like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and World Market gaining so much success and popularity in this obese, high-fructose corn syrup-addicted nation. Hopefully this means it will come to Utah soon .....I mean.....dirty, rotten chains! lol

It looks like the middle of the country is deprived - it's clearly Calif-based and prevelant along both coasts.

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations.asp

It's just not fair! They will be opening 3 more in California soon, and Utah can't even have 1?? Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico have one, but Utah can't? It must be the liquor laws. Although, I heard that same excuse as to why the Cheesecake Factory wasn't here, but look who finally decided to show up amidts such strict liquor laws! Oh, how I yearn for some Coaco-covered almonds right now....or some of those organic peanut butter cups....ok, I better stop before a puddle of saliva short-cicuits my computer. *dreams of simmering lemongrass chicken*

Last edited by Urban_logic; Jan 22, 2009 at 6:02 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:23 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post

Looks like the developers have change it. The older renderings showed that Phase II or 2nd buildings would look just like the first building. These ones are shorter and looks different. I thought all these buildings were going to look alike.
Not sure if I like it or not. These new buildings don't look like they are going to fit in with the first building. I could be wrong. But from that rendering it looks like of weird. IMHO
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cololi View Post
There are way too many good local restaurants to settle for a chain. I can't remember the last national chain that I ate at. I think it was probably the California Pizza Kitchen by Disneyland back in Sept. I usually eat lunch downtown 2-3 times a week and try to hit a new restaurant each time. You would be suprised how many good little cafes there are in the lobbies or basements of downtown buildings.
I haven't eaten at a chain restaurant in years. I can't stand the SYSCO food.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West