HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:09 AM

"Edmonton submits proposal to house new Amazon headquarters"

Brad Ferguson, president of the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation, said the EEDC had formally submitted its application ahead of Thursday’s deadline.

While he didn’t share details of the proposal — or what, if any, incitements were offered to Amazon — Ferguson did say the bid was a team effort.

“Leaders from our business, government, non-profit and post secondary communities came together over the past four weeks in a joint effort to tell Edmonton’s story.”

Also a comparison of some of the Canadian competitors that are biding are in the story.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...QXMd1Lljj-s9Tv

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:00 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
A metro population of at least 1M was one of the criteria was it not ?
Didn't seem to stop Sault-Ste-Marie from submitting a bid *epic facepalm*

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:09 AM

I think the point for most Canadian cities (as well as the smaller American cities) proposals is to try and attract other companies, whether it be tech or whatever else, to see the benefits of the city and think about setting up shop there.

Let's be real, the only Canadian city with a legitimate chance is Toronto, but thats not to say places like Edmonton or Ottawa have a chance at maybe getting an Amazon warehouse or a smaller startup company to plant itself in places like that.

Either way, it'll be interesting to see where Amazon chooses to locate HQ2.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Toronto is sure playing the Race Card.

Well Toronto, its not Race that makes a good employee, it's their Skills, you dumb ass City.
I read the proposal and don't see it as playing the race card at all. Toronto is a very diverse city, so it's normal that it be mentioned as one its characteristics.

It's true that the diversity fetish can sometimes go overboard to the point one gets the impression people are playing a kind of *reverse race card*.

But this is not one of those cases.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:00 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the counter-argument that many (most on SSP in fact) would make is that it's not up to you to pass judgement on certain expressions of religion, and label them as "extreme".

Some would also press you to define what "Canadian standards" are anyway, in this day and age.
I find most expressions of organized religions extreme with keeping people stupid and holding back societies. I don't really care if that rubs against the populist, it's all good, view of Canadians.

By Canadian standards, I mean the acceptance of others as equal to yourself regardless of sex, race, or faith. That is the reverse of most religions with their symbolism that hasn't changed much since the dark ages (or the golden age of religion)

P.S. I'm not an Atheist either.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:11 PM
Always High

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Here's the Toronto bid - https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.co...nHQ2RFP_PD.pdf

edit: it's a GTA bid
It's a really odd strategy to me to compare Toronto to Seattle so much in the bid. Seattle is not in competition for Hq2 and it reads in many places that Toronto wants Hq1.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I find most expressions of organized religions extreme with keeping people stupid and holding back societies. I don't really care if that rubs against the populist, it's all good, view of Canadians.

By Canadian standards, I mean the acceptance of others as equal to yourself regardless of sex, race, or faith. That is the reverse of most religions with their symbolism that hasn't changed much since the dark ages (or the golden age of religion)

P.S. I'm not an Atheist either.
As I mentioned, I do agree with you pretty much across the board.

Even if it is currently de rigueur is to pooh-pooh or turn a blind eye to all these "warts" you pointed out. In the name of (perceived) harmony or perhaps in the interest of self-agrandizement.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDS View Post
It's a really odd strategy to me to compare Toronto to Seattle so much in the bid. Seattle is not in competition for Hq2 and it reads in many places that Toronto wants Hq1.
To me it seems the most obvious point of reference - Amazon knows Seattle, so every comparison has instant meaning.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
By Canadian standards, I mean the acceptance of others as equal to yourself regardless of sex, race, or faith. That is the reverse of most religions and the symbolism that hasn't changed much since the dark ages (or the golden age of religion)

Off topic but I disagree with this characteristic. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and others all teach that we are equal.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Off topic but I disagree with this characteristic. Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and others all teach that we are equal.
Equal - perhaps, but

Jew vs gentile
Christian vs pagan
Muslim vs infidel

Every religion seems to have a generic name for a non believer and this gives rise to an "us vs them" paradigm which can easily lead to conflict perpetrated by less enlightened adherents of each religion.........

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:
That is sooooo false. All of the mainstream religions profess inequality of women and support slavery.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Everyone is *potentially* equal provided they see the light of that particular religion.

Heaven is always reserved for believers.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Equal - perhaps, but

Jew vs gentile
Christian vs pagan
Muslim vs infidel

Every religion seems to have a generic name for a non believer and this gives rise to an "us vs them" paradigm which can easily lead to conflict perpetrated by less enlightened adherents of each religion.........

Bingo....hypocrisy reigns.

Do as I do....or suffer.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 4:01 PM

Money is a false god. and Amazon is its messenger.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixx View Post
I think the point for most Canadian cities (as well as the smaller American cities) proposals is to try and attract other companies, whether it be tech or whatever else, to see the benefits of the city and think about setting up shop there.
That is what many of these smaller cities are saying, but at the end of the day Toronto is the only city which publicly disclosed their bid.

Hamilton et al. all prepared 200+ page bids, that they submitted in secret. How is that going to attract "other companies"? Unless they are planning on sending this secret bid unsolicited to random silicon valley technology companies?

Toronto is the only city in Canada that did the only thing that makes sense - present a very public well put together presentation on the benefits of the city. Ironic that it's also likely the only city that has a real chance at it.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Here's the Toronto bid - https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.co...nHQ2RFP_PD.pdf

edit: it's a GTA bid
It's a magnificent document, just for the tomes of comparative information, but also because of the unified, regional approach.

I realize that Toronto is probably the only realistic bid in Canada, but we would see different results on the some of the metrics if other Canadian cities were compared. I mean, Pittsburgh and Charlotte are included.

I don't know how I feel about Trudeau giving an endorsement to the Toronto bid at the expense of other cities who met the minimum thresholds such as Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kora View Post
It's a magnificent document, just for the tomes of comparative information, but also because of the unified, regional approach.

I realize that Toronto is probably the only realistic bid in Canada, but we would see different results on the some of the metrics if other Canadian cities were compared. I mean, Pittsburgh and Charlotte are included.

I don't know how I feel about Trudeau giving an endorsement to the Toronto bid at the expense of other cities who met the minimum thresholds such as Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton.
Trudeau doesn't explicitly endorse the Toronto bid. He endorses the HQ2 ending up in Canada. He prepared the letter for any Canadian bid that wants to use it. Better bet it'll end up in all of them.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:11 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDS View Post
Toronto wants it all! Gimme, gimme now!

Joking aside, it's a flawed pitch by a crappy consulting firm, they should have used McKinsey. They've probably already been hired by another city though, such as Boston or NYC. Anyway, it's good enough for a longshot bid.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Toronto wants it all! Gimme, gimme now!

Joking aside, it's a flawed pitch by a crappy consulting firm, they should have used McKinsey. They've probably already been hired by another city though, such as Boston or NYC. Anyway, it's good enough for a longshot bid.

Agreed. The proposal doesn't look bad to be honest. But the reality is, while Canada may be in the running, I think the ultimate decision will send this thing to the US. Anywhere in the west will be ruled out, they need an East Coast location. So Boston, Detroit, Washington, Cincinnati, Pittsburg, Philadelphia, NYC. It'll end up in one of those areas.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 7:27 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Equal - perhaps, but

Jew vs gentile
Christian vs pagan
Muslim vs infidel

Every religion seems to have a generic name for a non believer and this gives rise to an "us vs them" paradigm
which can easily lead to conflict perpetrated by less enlightened adherents of each religion.........
Not every religion, only monotheist religions. Some polytheistic and all pantheistic religions, such as Buddhism, Stoicism, Hinduism and Shamanism, have no equivalent.

P.S. I follow the church of try not to hurt people, unless they deserve it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada