HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 8:25 PM

I've been doing some thinking and research about this project, and noticed a couple interesting things:
  1. 300,000sf is slated to be retail, with 500,000sf as commercial, which is quite a lot.
  2. 180,000 should anchor 300,000 SF of office, making the office space a go
  3. 1,700 is supposed to be spread over 3 towers. This is huge. An average residential tower is about an 8,000sf floorplate. Assuming a 80% sellable efficency this allows for 6,400 sf of sellable per floor. With an average unit size of 700 SF (arbitrarily chosen) that allows for about 9 units per floor, or a total of 186 floors. Over 3 towers this allows for 3 62 floor towers or one very tall tower with a two taller towers next to it as it appears in the rendering.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 8:47 PM

Impressive development! And 1700 units in 3 towers is absolutely massive!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 8:47 PM

Absolutely that's it. So looks like they have their anchor.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 8:55 PM

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1091...revitalization

Image sources from newswire.ca. The project for residences still doesn't add up with rendering. You'll note the "shadow" buildings in the back are Park Place and the phase after Park Avenue. Park Place being 35 storeys, the 3 towers in the background as part of this project still look quite a bit shorter or of the same size.

Also re-residences, if you look closely in the top render especially, you can now see 4 residential towers. Back one is 39 story, next is about 35 or so, next is about 30, and the other is about 24. So if you go 10 units per floor average, that would be around 1300 units give or take. So that leaves another 400 still which could be done through ground level 4 story or what not. Either way if this project and all phases does go through, King George is going to be quite bustling.

Imagine final projects complete around there being Infinity, 4 towers for Park Place (2 current, 2 future between current and Skytrain), 2 x Park Avenue, the 40+ story tower behind Park Avenue, you have the existing tower there, then 4 more residential towers and commercial space + (LOOK A THEATRE). You throw in the still on hold but possible Holland Pointe and you have a lot of people in a small area.

I think this project could be a catalyst and with such a visible committed anchor in Coast Capital, I would bet money this will see the light of day for sure.

Last edited by Dylan Leblanc; Dec 29, 2012 at 8:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 8:56 PM

Also note the LRT...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 9:22 PM

Whoever came up with the renders was thinking of some fantasy when they did the streetscape part. SkyTrain is not like the unsuccessful Scarborough RT, and RapidBus isn't supposed to have such high platforms.

One thing they did miss it seems was adding a station canopy for the LRT lol.

Anyway, this is a very cool project and I hope to see more of it!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 9:25 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Wonder if something was lost in translation and they meant 1700 residents instead of units. 1700 residents would fit into the 3 depicted towers.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 9:27 PM

Thanks for the bigger renderings, much more helpful.

You are absolutely right, I see 4 towers in that new rendering as well. Too bad they arent going for 3 taller ones, but 1,700 units is still massive so the project should bring a ton of life to the area.

10 units per floor is just a ballpark, but anything less than that would result in some very VERY small units. If 625 SF (10.25 units/floor) is the average unit size that would necessitate some miniature 2 beds and a ton of small 1 bed/studios.

625/SF averages still equates to 166 floors or 41.5 floors between 4 towers, so well above the depicted heights of the towers. I'm guessing there is a lot of podium density we might not be seeing, which would be quite positive for the areas livability.

All in all very exciting announcement from a very reputable developer in PCI.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Whoever came up with the renders was thinking of some fantasy when they did the streetscape part. SkyTrain is not like the unsuccessful Scarborough RT, and RapidBus isn't supposed to have such high platforms.

One thing they did miss it seems was adding a station canopy for the LRT lol.

Anyway, this is a very cool project and I hope to see more of it!
Absolutely fantasy. It's more nice to see some thought for LRT concepts into the design. It is a fantasy though as you can clearly see King George Boulevard in the render stops Northbound at the tower and just kind of vanishes. Looks like they turn it onto the new 98 Ave which makes no sense. So yah like you said I think it is more fantasy than anything streetscape wise.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 10:45 PM

I think northbound KGB crosses over with the LRT, but the artist shows vehicles heading southbound when they should be heading northbound at least on the right side of the road.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2012, 10:49 PM

surrey mayor wants a street car so its probably that

looks good, more people form the park towers to mug at night hehe

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 1:21 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Not related, but cool!
Should be posted in Surrey or Suburban updates

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 1:23 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Excellent! This, and the two Burnaby developments (Solo, Station Sq.) are easily my most anticipated TODs.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:13 AM

Thanks for posting!

Yeah, initial reactions -

Building looks unstable - good for a "bank"? Quite a departure from the past (stone, etc.). That corner stair is ridiculous.

What's the Scarborough RT doing there?

No wires for LRT (does it return to King Geogre or go down Fraser Highway?)
Bus and LRT on same RoW => infrequent LRT.

All cars one-way southbound?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Excellent! This, and the two Burnaby developments (Solo, Station Sq.) are easily my most anticipated TODs.
And Oakridge.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Not related, but cool!
Should be posted in Surrey or Suburban updates
Hmm? I don't follow. The renders are of this specific thread's proposal. Or am I confused as to what you mean?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 1:08 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

First reaction: Finally Coast Capital Savings is anchoring themselves with a large HQ. Being based in Surrey, I am not surprised they took this early opportunity to take up a piece in City Centre.

The few retail space from the Infinity/Park Place complex still remain unoccupied. Hopefully this development will bring much more liveliness to both sides of the station.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 5:47 PM

You'll start seeing the retail fill out in the next 6 months. The first main tenant Fresh Slice has a sign up in the retail facing SkyTrain and you can see in several other units some prep-work starting.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:06 PM
(daka_x)

I saw an overhead render of this layout in a PDF document while searching the internet not too long ago. AFAIK the concept anticipates 40m LRT/BRT platforms for a Fraser Highway LRT and South Surrey BRT (future LRT?) line (not that any designs should actually be finalized) - which does mean low-frequency, low capacity, I completely worry - and anticipates that integration ability without precluding potential to accomodate SkyTrain extensions instead.

However, what I found myself disappointed in is that there appears to be no attempt to integrate the development with King George Station itself. Those large outward bulges near the elevators are there for a reason - behind those glass panels could be an elevated plaza integrated with the station-level as in the case of Plaza 88. These bulges are on both sides of the station - and the development integration could have easily occurred with Park Place. Also, same way, the proposed huge tower at Surrey Central could play with an integration with the station mezzanine but it looks like there will be nothing. It's as if it's established here in Surrey, no thanks to our "SkyTrain-destroys-our-communities" wailing Mayor Watts and misleading bloggers like Nathan Pachal, that SkyTrain has apparently no ability to integrate with development and the surrounding community - despite that a recent example has been built in New Westminster, 8 minutes away. These selected developers could be doing far better with the design, but have no encouragement.

I guess the Mayor is worried that some ambitious developer could totally prove her wrong.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 6:16 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Hmm? I don't follow. The renders are of this specific thread's proposal. Or am I confused as to what you mean?
Sorry, I was confused myself. This is why I shouldn't reply when I'm half awake and reading 6 threads at once!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley