HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 9:34 PM

PORTLAND: It's Only Hipster Wasteland

I've lived in Portland for about two years now. I love watching Portlandia and it's great to look at other photo threads of Portland. I've noticed that there is an overwhelming focus, by photographers, by locals, and by the media to focus on all the beauty and quirkiness of Portland. Portland may have an exceptional, unique environment and culture, but it is one facet of this city. At the end of the day, Portland can still be seen to be a more or less average American city. There's a mess of freeways and there are cookie cutter homes on the fringes. There's crime and dirt and grit and grime. I must admit, even my previous threads are guilty of appealing to this city's clean, green reputation. That is why I've been working on a series to capture every side of Portland, from the rich to the poor and the shiny condos to the rusting riverside industry.

Unfortunately, I must admit that this is incomplete. I'm still working on this, and I've wanted to work on it more, but my laptop is dying, meaning no editing and nowhere to transfer my photos. For now, this is what I have for my attempt to expand the conversation about Portland. Don't worry, there's still plenty of beauty and urbanism here.

Let's have at it, then?

Video Link

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 10:18 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Great pics yo.

What steps do I take to be an upper-middle class white homeless person for a few years, till it's not trendy anymore, at least...

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 12:08 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks!

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 12:15 AM

I was just thinking a few days ago about how we haven't had a Portland picture thread in a while so I've spent the last few days taking as many pictures as possible. I'm creating another Portland thread right now.

DOUBLE DOSE OF PORTLAND HELL YES!

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post

I was just thinking a few days ago about how we haven't had a Portland picture thread in a while so I've spent the last few days taking as many pictures as possible. I'm creating another Portland thread right now.

DOUBLE DOSE OF PORTLAND HELL YES!
May the best hipster hunter win.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 6:53 AM
菠蘿油

Great light. Love the highway shots.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 1:16 PM
furified freestyle

must everything be about hipsters? where is the line for "hipster" fatigue? at what point can white people aged 25-40 just be white people aged 25-40?

the green and clean may only be one impression of portland, but it's a pretty freakin' big one. there's a reason so many people -- hipsters? -- continue to move to portland in droves. it may come off a little monocultural (and even its most ardent defenders have to admit that), but there's no denying the natural beauty and the mind boggling cleanliness. at least the cleanliness is mind boggling to someone coming from an old east coast city where, from the coffee shop window in which i sit, i can see a newspaper circular, a little debbie wrapper, and a black plastic bag blowing down the street. the barista here was in portland last week and she claimed that because the "sidewalks were so immaculate", it came off as wealthy. i told her that that was ridiculous. it's a largely middle class town, sure, but wealth has nothing to do with cleanliness ... it's just a better respect of your surroundings, and there is 100% correlation with how appealing a place looks, naturally, physically, geographically, what have you.

but yeah, portland has ugly suburbs and a riverfront highway right down its gut too. it's also building the first transit-bike-ped bridge in the country in ages.

but anyways ... nice photos! i do miss those late-day-sun-on-dark-skies-after-a-rain days. that wide angle night shot from vista bridge is spectacular.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 6:21 PM

Love it, great mix of shots! Don't often see the more industrial sections of town in these threads. I was just thinking how long it's been since I've seen a new Portland thread, and then you and Derek throw a couple out. I love the angles and colors here. Oh yeah, and just to keep the whole damn hipster theme going, put some birds on it heehee

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 8:05 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Great shots of Portland! I love the colours and the different scenes of that pretty city. I like your people shots and night views. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 11:03 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Outstanding photography. They really convey depth, tone and mood.

Not only is this one of the top Portland photo threads, but also one of the top photo threads of anyplace in quite some time.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:14 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post
must everything be about hipsters? where is the line for "hipster" fatigue? at what point can white people aged 25-40 just be white people aged 25-40?

the green and clean may only be one impression of portland, but it's a pretty freakin' big one. there's a reason so many people -- hipsters? -- continue to move to portland in droves. it may come off a little monocultural (and even its most ardent defenders have to admit that), but there's no denying the natural beauty and the mind boggling cleanliness. at least the cleanliness is mind boggling to someone coming from an old east coast city where, from the coffee shop window in which i sit, i can see a newspaper circular, a little debbie wrapper, and a black plastic bag blowing down the street. the barista here was in portland last week and she claimed that because the "sidewalks were so immaculate", it came off as wealthy. i told her that that was ridiculous. it's a largely middle class town, sure, but wealth has nothing to do with cleanliness ... it's just a better respect of your surroundings, and there is 100% correlation with how appealing a place looks, naturally, physically, geographically, what have you.

but yeah, portland has ugly suburbs and a riverfront highway right down its gut too. it's also building the first transit-bike-ped bridge in the country in ages.

but anyways ... nice photos! i do miss those late-day-sun-on-dark-skies-after-a-rain days. that wide angle night shot from vista bridge is spectacular.
Dont forget the cheap herbals.

My Book

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 8:22 PM
hemelschraper

Cool, now I want to be a hipster too and move to Portland.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 12:54 AM

dude, great set! you hit one out of the park with the very first pic. i love the rising sun against those houses above the hwy 26 tunnel and the super gray and shitty clouds at the tree line. mooody.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:16 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Excellent set and a treat to see two Portland threads today.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 6:15 AM

nice. i enjoyed my couple days in portland last year. good to see the city again

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 7:04 AM
:o

I miss this city. Great pics.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 12:05 PM

Love it....i can just feel that damp pacific northwestness coming out of these pictures

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
Love it....i can just feel that damp pacific northwestness coming out of these pictures

You wouldn't feel it if you were actually here, dry as a bone for the past week.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 10:45 PM
Meh

Great pics.

This is a beautiful photo.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
its enveloping. sometimes i get a little agoraphobic when its too sunny. antsy. the clouds get to you also but there is something comforting about them when its 50 degrees and kind of misty. the trees too, the fffffkn douglas firs. tall sons of bitches and they make for cool sunset horizons. like kicking it on endor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos