HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 11:46 PM

I came up with my own idea. I doubt if that one company is going to do anything so I started a petition to bring something taller to downtown Wichita. I call it The Wichita Aerospace Needle and if built will be at least 500 feet to the observation deck and around 550-600 feet to the the highest point on the Needle. A drone company was nice enough to measure the highest point on the roof of The Epic Center and they said their drones showed 387 feet AGL. Here is my petition. I need signatures if this project is to become a reality. https://www.change.org/p/the-wichita-aerospace-needle

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakespeare2016 View Post
Here is some more info. The spire could even exceed 600 feet in height.https://www.ksn.com/news/local/penum...at-it-entails/
Is an observation tower or ferris wheel still in the works for this project.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 2:03 AM

Are there renderings for this tower?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 2:23 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Well this project is back! It may not be as big as I would like it to be but there is going to be a rooftop restaurant and a huge ferris wheel probably around 400 feet tall.. The spire on the spider will very like exceed 500 feet. https://www.penumbrariverwalk.com/
The website is dead. So is the project. From January of last year...

https://www.ksn.com/news/local/is-ti...ntury-ii-deal/

Quote:
WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – It’s been more than a year since a private group announced big plans for a $1.5 billion investment in the Century II area.

That deal never happened, and now some Wichita City Council members say it’s time to move forward.

That could mean a new convention space to go next to Century II.

For what it's worth, I don't think anyone locally ever took either proposal from Penumbra terribly seriously throughout any point in it's life.

Even the developers made the pivot to something else a couple of years back. Whether or not it's more realistic, YMMV, but I think that was slightly more dead in the water - given that their venue of choice for the air and space museum, Century II, just received roof improvements and is in no danger of being changed from a performing-arts venue into anything else.

The new "hotel" also makes no sense. The existing riverfront hotel, the Hyatt Regency, was slated to get a new wing to be added on pre-pandemic, but that's been shelved for fairly understandable reasons.

This blurb from a February 2022 Wichita Eagle article sums it up.

Quote:
Penumbra’s current plan for a Century II district includes an air and space museum, an aquarium, a new convention center, a performing arts center, a Legoland and a 700-room hotel, as well as a rollercoaster and open-air gondola rides over the Arkansas River.

The group’s interest in the east bank of the Arkansas River first surfaced publicly at a February 2020 news conference.

Penumbra didn’t attract much serious attention at the time due to the vagueness of its plans, unanswered questions about the funding, and project drawings that were more perplexing than illuminating.

“The Penumbra plan was never taken seriously from the beginning, both because it seemed amateurish and unappealing to most people, and because it posed a challenge to the Riverfront Legacy Master Plan, which was backed by some of the city’s most powerful players,” said Chase Billingham, a Wichita State University professor of sociology who closely follows development in the city.

The plan arrived during a heated battle between the Riverfront Legacy supporters, who represent many of the city’s major business interest groups, and members of Save Century II, a grassroots group that had started a petition drive seeking to tie City Hall’s hands when it came to tearing down Century II and the former Central Library.

Last edited by Wattleigh; Feb 2, 2024 at 2:38 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 8:53 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
The website is dead. So is the project. From January of last year...

https://www.ksn.com/news/local/is-ti...ntury-ii-deal/
But they can still make a street level observation deck, right?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 8:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
But they can still make a street level observation deck, right?
Maybe with a restaurant in the basement?

Please oh please oh please oh please!!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 9:56 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Maybe with a restaurant in the basement?

Please oh please oh please oh please!!!!!!!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 10:00 PM
Demon

delete

Last edited by observation deck; Feb 2, 2024 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 10:13 PM
Demon

Quote:
I call it The Wichita Aerospace Needle and if built will be at least 500 feet to the observation deck and around 550-600 feet to the the highest point on the Needle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Is an observation tower or ferris wheel still in the works for this project.
Great. You fools have summoned me in a second f*cking thread

As stated in the other thread, I do not, under any circumstances, want to hear my name and "Kansas" or "Oklahoma" in the same sentence. Ever.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 3:29 AM
Big City Enthusiast

so doess this move out of proposals now?

Not sure I agree with burying OKC's Legends Tower in Vision but I can't see why a dead proposal remains a proposal.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive