HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 9:07 PM

The beginning of another week and a couple more big announcements. Well, one is a revision to an existing proposal. That would be the Second Avenue Partners 2-tower proposal on the site bounded by First and Second Avenues, Demonbreun and the Seithenthaler Bridge. Currently the plan is for one tower as a means to get this one started as soon as possible. The site plan does allow for the second tower at some point in the future, but this plan is for a taller condo/hotel tower. Hotel is rumored to be Four Seasons. Dropped is the apartment tower.

Second announcement is for a 35-story mixed use tower at the Korean Vets roundabout, just to the south of the 27-story Westing and across 8th Avenue South from the proposed KVB Roundabout tower office building posted above. Named 805 Lea

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 9:50 PM
Nashville born and raised

And ....the redesign of the Federal Courthouse on Church Street..

The main entrance..

..and the back side of the block....

Nice improvement. Will start soon.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Nov 20, 2017 at 10:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 10:04 PM

Another picture of 8th & Lea...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
What are the two 40 story buildings you anticipate starting in the next 6 months? Are you referring to the announced project for 1st Ave South near the Shelby pedestrian bridge?
Actually yes. But as we've seen in the last crazy, insane hour on the Nashville forum, that project has been paired back to a single 40 story building and a 16 story, 5-Star hotel.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 10:43 PM

The 12 story Graduate Hotel on West End in Midtown appears to be back on track. They were denied a request by Metro Zoning to reduce parking requirements, but Zoning Appeals today approved the reduction.

From the Tennessean....

....(skip over the story about the blow-up doll; that's just Nashville being Nashville)

The proposed location...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Actually yes. But as we've seen in the last crazy, insane hour on the Nashville forum, that project has been paired back to a single 40 story building and a 16 story, 5-Star hotel.

I like the new box. With a good lighting scheme it will really stand out.

I guess the law firm at the Pinnacle is feeling a bit better since the position of the proposed 40 story tower won't block their views of the 4th of July fireworks...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:28 PM

A compilation of Nashville's new and proposed office building stock.

This boom is not all hotel and apartments.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

This tower is being reported in the local press as a 550' tall tower. That would make it the second tallest in the city.

Sounds tall for a 40 story condo. I suppose a high end condo would be more desirable with a good floor to ceiling height. for each floor.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:40 PM

Nashville makes final four.

The MLS has officially selected Nashville, Sacramento, Detroit, and Cincinnati as the four finalists for the first two expansion slots to be granted this year.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-lea...xpansion-teams

Last edited by MidTenn1; Nov 30, 2017 at 3:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 6:35 AM

Like every other city with a million+ MSA, Nashville has submitted a proposal to Amazon to serve as a location for their new second headquarters (HQ2) offices.

Nashville Business Journal articles are behind the paywall, so I don't have a lot of information, but there is some indication that the city proposed a downtown location including a combination of the 5th+Broad development, the Nashville Yards development and the Tennessean newspaper building. The lots would be connected by trolley.

My crude, hypothetical, rendering shows the location of these disparate lots and with a speculative building massing.

I have no personal detailed knowledge of what building stock might be required.

Some points:
  • Not sure if other possible locations, such as River North, were included or ruled out.
  • I would suspect the trolley line would eventually be extended down Hayes Street to West End giving the West Side a rail transit option after all.
  • The total acreage is far less than the 105 acres Amazon requires in the RFP.
  • Nashville has been showing up in a lot of short lists.
The article has been published in (Your City) Business Journal publications around the US. So if you have a subscription, you may be able to read the article.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 6:25 AM

A review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
My 2016 Xmas Wish List for Nashville
  1. All planned projects get the financial backing and approvals needed.
    Most projects (75% ?) are coming into fruition.
  2. Lake Palmer is purchased by someone else and an announcement of a new major development for the site.
    No movement on this project.
  3. The major office/residential complex that was announced for the southern part of SoBro will resurface and get approved with height variances.
    The One KVB at 30 stories and 440' (my estimate) has been revealed and will start construction soon.
  4. MDHA will overturn it's choice of projects for the trolley barn property and select one of the better designed submissions.
    With the reveal of a small, 5 story architecturally unremarkable building, the prospects for a better project have dimmed.
  5. All the car dealers on Broadway are relocated to make way for a major retail, entertainment, residential and office development. This should include an urban Target Store.
    No hope in sight on this problem.
  6. The area between Church Street and Charlotte Pike in mid-town will see announcements for a couple of 20-30 story buildings.
    Light rail was proposed for this corridor, so I would expect some significant development. But it may be a decade away.
  7. IKEA announces it's buying up much of the property in the Trinity Lane area west of I-24/65 and will build a new store to start the transformation of the area.
    IKEA is coming, to Antioch, but not for a couple more years.
  8. Transformation of the East Bank will begin including relocating the metal recycling company.
    River North was revealed with a high rise urban cluster proposed on 100 acres. The gash on the wonderful view of the downtown skyline that is known as the recycling plant has been sold to Carl Icahn who owns the land it sits on. There is faint hope he will close it and develop the property appropriately. Or sell it to someone who will.
  9. TSU announces firm plans to build a new on-campus football stadium and developers begin focusing on the western portion of the Jefferson Street Corridor.
    No news on the football stadium, but a light rail line is proposed to be run to a point near the campus.
  10. An announcement that at least one 50+ story office building will be built in downtown or SoBro.
    The closest thing to a new tallest would be the revised 1st Avenue project across from Riverfront Park which at 40 stories will rise 550 ft. There are the two other 400 footers proposed also including the previously mentioned One KVB and a 35 story, mixed-use project at 8th and Lea.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 11:50 AM

A chart from a spreadsheet I made of buildings over 200' tall in Nashville, either existing, rising or proposed. That's about 62 total with 37 buildings between 200' and 300'.

Nashville doesn't have as many 'skyscrapers' as some cities, but the amount of mid-rise infill is impressive.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 4:40 PM

The long anticipated ground breaking for the Tennessee State Archives and Library is scheduled for this month. It is a beautiful, neo-classical public building which will border (East) the wonderful Capitol Mall (park).

The State Museum is going up across from the Archives on the other side of the mall (West).

Another card showing the relationship to the Mall.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:37 PM

Margaritaville Hotel breaks ground December 5, 2017.

With regard to development in the Convention Center area, expecting 30 story Embassy Suites and 19 story Hilton Curio to start soon, also. Unsure of 22 story, Joseph Hotel or 10 story Hilton Tapestry status right now.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:51 PM

My husband and I will be spending a day/night in Nashville (staying at the Opryland Hotel). Can anyone recommend some walkable neighborhoods to check out while we're there? We have dinner reservations at Fifth & Taylor in Germantown and will probably spend some time in Green Hills shopping and walking around downtown. Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to exploring the city!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
My husband and I will be spending a day/night in Nashville (staying at the Opryland Hotel). Can anyone recommend some walkable neighborhoods to check out while we're there? We have dinner reservations at Fifth & Taylor in Germantown and will probably spend some time in Green Hills shopping and walking around downtown. Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to exploring the city!
Other than Germantown, I'd hit up East Nashville, 12South/Melrose, Hillsboro Village, and maybe Sylvan Park along Charlotte Pike if you want Hattie B's hot chicken. That will give you a good feel for the different areas. East Nashville is a large area with many neighborhoods so I would focus on Historic Edgefield (Nashville has an Attaboy speakeasy here like the one in Manhattan), Lockeland Springs, and Eastwood.

Green Hills is not very walkable, but you can park at the Hill Center and walk to the mall from there.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 9:36 PM

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply and tips!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:01 AM

Downtown Nashville is a walkable area containing many opportunities for entertainment and dining. It has everything from southern meat and three to gourmet. There is Country Music on lower Broad, Classical at the beautiful Schermerhorn at 4th and Demonbreun, and various shows and performances at TPAC on Union and the Arena on lower Broad. Free circulator buses will take you around the downtown or out to the Gulch where there are popular eateries, and you can get on and off where you like. I personally consider Franklin, which is 15 miles south of town (take Franklin Road or Hillsboro Pike) to be one of the jewels in Nashville's crown. It is smalltown America in a beautiful state of preservation due to that county being the wealthiest in Tennessee, and is walkable. It has fine old architecture, restaurants and shops. West End is Nashville's main artery and a drive out that street culminating in the largest city-owned parks in the country is worthwhile. On either side of West End beyond the interstate overpass and on either side are streets like Whitland, Richland and Central, which are walkable and pass through historic register areas. I've just recently discovered Germantown. It has a dozen good restaurants and is pleasant to walk. I like 5th, 6th, and 7th between Madison and Monroe, and it also has the Bicentennial Mall and Farmer's Market. Other walkable neighborhoods would include Hillsboro Village, 12th Avenue South and the Belmont area. The most exclusive areas would be Brentwood and Bellemeade. Hope you enjoy your visit!

Last edited by pittore; Dec 15, 2017 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 5:52 PM

Something I did a few weeks ago, even as a long time native of this city, was take one of the dozens of hop on - hop off bus/trolley tours. It is pure kitsch, but a fun and warm way to see a lot of the city. You can get off in the Music Row area, which I would recommend highly, and walk around over to Vanderbilt and then to the taverns and eateries (including Hattie B's Hot Chicken) on Broadway. That neighborhood, with it's incredible history, charm and character is a unique oasis in an ever increasingly urbanized part of the city.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 7:51 PM

Revised Fairfield Inn project in West End/Mid Town.

I normally don't post projects of this scale unless they are within the urban district and somewhat unique. But this was originally to be an 11 story building and has been revised to 7 stories. What gives it some uniqueness apart from thousands of other similar sized hotels being built at every other interstate interchange, is it location. It will serve specific market other than typical overnight travelers, I'm sure.

It will be a block off West End Avenue in the heart of mid-town and located in an fast growing area of high end condos and apartments and a few very walkable blocks from Vanderbilt, historic Centennial Park and many fine eateries.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations