HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks2006 View Post
Looks like the building will have enough of a presence to complete the full on 360 degree skyscraper wall around Mellon Sq., that you rarely see anywhere except very large downtowns.
Between Market Square and Mellon Square, that will be two pretty cool "clearing in the forest" squares Downtown.

Last edited by BrianTH; Mar 27, 2017 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:55 AM

I doubt anybody here, on the Pittsburgh thread of the skyscraperpage.com forum, wants to see more skyscrapers.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
It seems that some folks did not understand my question, so I shall try to rephrase.

Are there any Pittsburghers who are happy with their perfect non-growing skyline?

Would you, as a Pittsburgher be interested in seeing future skyscraper development grow and expand across the rivers?
I'm on this forum because I'm interested in local development. In general I'm not a big fan of skyscrapers at all. Cities are experienced on the ground level, and too many skyscrapers do not interface well with the street, having monotonous facades with little street-facing commercial activity. From an urban perspective, often what's lost to make way for the skyscrapers (historic, often ornate 19th century structures say) is much better than what it is replaced by.

I would like to see the remaining parking craters in and around downtown fill in with structures, but I don't really care one bit about the height of what that infill is, so long as it's built in a properly urban form.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:19 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
I doubt anybody here, on the Pittsburgh thread of the skyscraperpage.com forum, wants to see more skyscrapers.
I know I sure don't, not in my backyard.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 5:27 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Here's the facts:
New York is experiencing tremendous skyscraper construction.
Pittsburgh is experiencing no skyscraper construction.

Here we have two of my fav cities that are completely opposite.
As much as I love skyscrapers, New York is overwhelming to the point where I just give up.

Then I look at Pittsburgh and wonder what went wrong.

If you live in Pittsburgh, how do you feel about your non-growing skyline?

I am always hoping for some exciting proposals.

Would building across the river (like in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, etc.) interest you in seeing your beloved skyline grow?
Uhhhh you realize in the city limits of NYC there are 8.55 million people right? And that the population of NYC is growing by about 260k people every five years right? Pittsburgh has a population of 304,000 and we lost 500 people in five years, so not quite sure why you're so confused. So theres about a 7.2 million people difference between the two cities and one is the center of the universe.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I really wonder where McCaffery is planning to build that 475-stall space parking garage. They don't really own much land there which is vacant, aside from the lot next to 1600 Smallman Street, which seems too small, unless they demolish the "Cruze extension" of the building, which seems to have different floor plates anyway.
There's also "open" land where the Tom Ayoob produce building used to be, but that's adjacent to the Terminal Building itself, so I think what you're suggesting is probably more likely.

Quote:
It seems that some folks did not understand my question, so I shall try to rephrase.

Are there any Pittsburghers who are happy with their perfect non-growing skyline?

Would you, as a Pittsburgher be interested in seeing future skyscraper development grow and expand across the rivers?
I wouldn't say the current skyline is perfect, there are certainly some gaps in it. But they are hard to fill without demand, so it is what it is. I still wish Tower at PNC would have been a 600 footer, but oh well.

And likewise, without demand there is zero chance of there being skyscraper expansion across the rivers. So you're talking about some really far fetched hypotheticals here. Given some increased demand and some well thought out and executed plans, sure I'd take some more skyscrapers in and around the city. But I still don't understand what you're getting at, if anything.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 1:02 PM

Apparently, Uber has suspended the self-driving vehicles for the time being due to an accident in Arizona. (Which doesn't seem to have been the Uber's fault.)

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2017/03/25/Uber-suspends-testing-of-self-driving-cars-after-Arizona-crash/stories/201703250124

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 1:18 PM

I think the question of whether, where, and when we would like to see more skyscrapers in Pittsburgh is complex enough that it is not surprising the answers are a bit complex too.

The point I was trying to make previously is right now we have low-to-mid-rise development going on in a lot of strategic areas, and there are many more such areas waiting on deck. So I don't mind if that is taking away from demand/investment that might otherwise be going into Downtown skyscrapers, at least for now.

In the farther future, I wouldn't mind a few more skyscrapers Downtown--I have in mind a few spots where that would make sense. I also support the current trend of Oakland infilling on what I consider to be a DC-type model of density, but that more involves buildings topping out in the 10-15 floor range (although if a couple taller ones snuck in, that would be fine). I support Uptown infilling, but it could be a little lower density than Oakland--I'm not going to complain about 5-7 floor buildings in that area.

I've been sold recently on the vision of the riverfront areas (which includes a lot) getting layered development with lower (again 5-7ish floors) buildings in the first row off the river, then a bit higher in the row behind that. We don't have room for many rows most places, so I don't expect that to involve a lot of true skyscrapers, but again I would be fine if a few taller ones snuck in.

Outside of Downtown, currently I only see a couple areas I could imagine true skyscrapers being added: the closest parts of the Lower Hill development area, and the closest parts of the Strip. Those basically could serve as extensions of Downtown, and the land is suitable. Consistent with my views on timing, I therefore don't mind if nothing much gets done in those specific areas in the near future, because it makes sense to me to reserve them for future high-rise development if and when that makes sense.

In the very far future, I could see taller buildings spreading down the Ohio River from Downtown. But there is a lot that would likely happen first before that.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:53 PM

The new HRC presentation has landed. It's a biggie this month, but as is usual, a lot of the projects are retreads of things which have been before the commission in the past, and many of the projects are rather small restorations of individual houses and commercial buildings.

The only big news is some nice information about the Children's Museum's planned refurbishment of the old Carnegie Library immediately adjacent (where the New Hazlett Theatre currently resides). The Children's Museum is hoping to open a lab within the building which it appears will occupy the front half of all three floors. The New Hazlett Theatre will remain in the rear of the building. In general a lot of work will go into replacement windows it seems, including opening back up a lot of windows which were stuccoed shut in prior years.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:05 PM

Curious if anyone has news on that funky building proposed to replace Moe's on Market Square? Has the city signed of on it?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Are you the mayor of Pittsburgh?
What election did you win to decide what others want?
He is the mayor.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:14 PM

Smile Skyscrapers

Quote:

I sure would if any new additions are great as the Pnc Bank new skycrapper.

Last edited by Wally G; Mar 27, 2017 at 7:17 PM. Reason: The red upset face

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
Curious if anyone has news on that funky building proposed to replace Moe's on Market Square? Has the city signed of on it?
Looks like it was approved, but not unanimously.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 9:13 PM

Interesting discussion. I'm glad it was approved despite some dissent.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 10:13 PM

It's a week old but I just saw it today: Pittsburgh named top city in the country where downtown is making a comeback by realtor.com.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:48 AM

Nice article about the state of the Carrie Furnace site:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/featur...furnaces-site/

Quote:
When grading is completed in early spring, the Redevelopment Authority of Allegheny County will seek development proposals for more than 60 acres east of Blast Furnaces No. 6 and 7 that have been filled to raise the land above the 100-year floodplain. Remaining acreage west of the furnaces will require backfill and an extension of the new Carrie Furnace Boulevard to get it ready for development. County Executive Rich Fitzgerald and others envision commercial office space and advanced manufacturing but expect developers to determine the market with regard to tenants. . . .

An important phase of future work is rehabilitating the Rankin Hot Metal Bridge, including a bike trail extension alongside it. That work could cost $30 million, money the county doesn’t yet have. The county has obtained a $313,000 grant to determine contaminant levels of asbestos in the bridge paint, perform a structural inspection of the two main truss spans, and design a plan for remediation and repairs. “If we can connect [the site] with the Hot Metal Bridge to The Waterfront site, now you add value,” says Fitzgerald. “Transportation and connections are so important with these developments.”
As an aside, I might note this is precisely the sort of site I think is more important to redevelop well than adding more skyscrapers Downtown, at least for now. I agree the hot metal bridge conversion is also critical, and in the long run so is providing good transportation into the site from farther out in the Mon Valley.

Pictures:

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
It's a week old but I just saw it today: Pittsburgh named top city in the country where downtown is making a comeback by realtor.com.
I believe you're referring to this article: http://www.realtor.com/news/trends/t...de-a-comeback/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:01 AM

Uber's autonomous fleet is back on the streets after a thorough 2 day investigation.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/...wing-accident/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:02 AM

Wigle Whiskey is opening a tasting room inside the William Penn hotel:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...-tasting-room/

Quote:
The 600-square-foot tasting room will take over the spot previously occupied by Prevail Hair Salon, and will be accessible from both Oliver Avenue and from inside the Omni William Penn. The new tasting room and bottle shop will pop off with a grand opening celebration on April 21. Visitors will be able to purchase Wigle spirits to go, as well as enjoy cocktails made with Wigle spirits on-site, including a “build-your-own” Old Fashioned selection with choice of bitters, spirit, sugar and garnish. . . .

The new space is being designed by Garfield’s GBBN Architects. Steiner says it will retain the bright color scheme and mod feel associated with the Wigle aesthetic but with additional tile and woodwork to fit with the grandeur of the century-old Omni William Penn.
Fun!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 11:08 AM

The former St. Casimir Church in the South Side, currently a single residence, is being converted to 12 condos:

http://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-d...st-residences/

Quote:
The church was desanctified long ago; where the altar once stood is now a gaping brick wall. But much of the stained glass and ornate molding remains. Five units will occupy the first floor and seven will make up the second. Each unit, ranging between 1200 to 2300 square feet, will be two stories tall with two bedrooms and two bathrooms apiece. All but one of the second floor units will have a private deck, and two of spaces will include the former bell towers. Twelve parking spaces will be installed in the basement. The first floor will also contain a common gym area and meeting space/mother-in-law suite with a kitchen and bathroom.

Hill Property Investments will handle the buildout upon approval of the building plans, which were designed by Indovina Associates Architects. “It is gratifying to work on such an iconic building and grand interior space,” says Rob Indovina, principal at Indovina Associates Architects. One of the most interesting aspects, he adds, is that the new spaces will give occupants “the opportunity to intimately interact with all of the structure’s wonderful detail at eye level.” He points out that for many decades, much of it was located 50 feet in the air.

Units at the 22nd St. Residences will begin at $350,000 and top out around the high 500-thousands. Assuming the project receives city permit approval, the buildout is planned for this summer. Units will be move-in ready in July 2018, and a pre-sale will begin next month.
Give me a bell tower unit, please!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations