HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 1:59 PM

its sad that when they were in the sky, people used to be like oh just another building blah blah..then wen they came crashing down everyone said how much they love them, now there building the new wtc people sya just another building..and if god forbid something happened to them..everyone would say how much they loved them...i was young when 9/11 happened but i do have a picture from statue of liberty with the towers behind me..preety cool cant wait to take a new one of me older with the new wtc behind me

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 3:10 PM
Meh

I miss them. I especially get nostalgic for them after watching movies that were shot in New York. Diehard 3 and especially Ghostbusters.

And of course we had threads on the twins before 9/11.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2012, 10:14 PM
Come As You Are

^^ On this site? I'm curious as to what people wrote on them immediately after their destruction. Or what people thought of them before 9/11?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2012, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
^^ On this site? I'm curious as to what people wrote on them immediately after their destruction. Or what people thought of them before 9/11?
You can just ask us! I always loved the Twin Towers even before 9/11. Their destruction left a scar in me that would never go away. As a New Yorker that remembers them fondly and sitting under their shadow so...

My younger brother also remembers the Twin Towers before and after 9/11 and never really liked them. He always thought of them ugly boxes that are too mundane, but that is his opinion.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2012, 2:27 AM

There was something about them, it wasn't the aesthetics, because let's be honest, they really weren't that attractive. It was the way they dominated the skyline; towering over everything else in Lower Manhattan. They demanded your attention, and that's part of the reason I loved them so much.

Working there was a real different experience though, on days when it was cloudy, rainy, or snowing, you felt like a prisoner. The narrow windows made it feel like you were in a large prison cell. Conversely, there were days when it was clear; not a cloud in the sky, and it felt like you were in heaven because you'd see nothing but blue sky stretching on for eternity.

The sunrises and sunsets I saw from the 99th floor. One of the absolute most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life.

Sunset by Chapelo, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 15, 2012, 2:40 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
And of course we had threads on the twins before 9/11.
Well, I guess I stand corrected.

http://www.history.com/images/media/...ade-center.jpg

Even before I knew about skyscrapers, when I was a little kid living in Queens and saw views of skylines around the world, I knew if there were two big towers in any of them, the city had to be New York. That's how iconic these buildings were, regardless if you cared or not.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 11:36 PM

I'll always miss the Twin Towers. They had so much power and impact on the Manhattan Skyline only to have it all taken away from them in 102 minutes. The Twin Towers inspired me to take an interest in architecture. 9/11 should have never happened because those buildings made this city so much better. The New World Trade Center will replace the destroyed buildings but things will never be the same.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 4:17 AM
Come As You Are

@Chapelo Did you work in the towers on 9/11?

And yes, they were far more iconic than the new one.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
@Chapelo Did you work in the towers on 9/11?
Yep. I was out of town when 9/11 happened; had left on the 8th for my dad's Navy retirement ceremony and wasn't scheduled to be back at work until 9/17. Had I been there that day, I definitely wouldn't have made it.

The company I worked for occupied basically every floor in the impact zone in the North Tower. My cubicle was on the north side of the 99th floor, facing midtown. Probably would have seen the plane coming at me. I think one of the wings sliced through my floor. Still, I don't like thinking about it.

Last edited by Chapelo; Jul 17, 2012 at 4:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 6:29 PM
Come As You Are

...Damn :|
My friend's dad used to work in 7WTC but that's the only guy I know who was there on 9/11.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:19 PM

He was very lucky. If you were below the impact zone, or in another WTC building, you survived and had time to evacuate. Some people in the South Tower escaped from above the impact floors because one stairwell, Stairwell A, was intact.

I don't think anyone from Marsh McLennan (my company) or Cantor-Fitzgerald (our upstairs neighbors on 101-105) survived; the plane flew straight into the core of the tower and destroyed all the stairwells and elevators. We lost something like 300 people that day, still breaks my heart to this day that we lost so many good people.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
He was very lucky. If you were below the impact zone, or in another WTC building, you survived and had time to evacuate. Some people in the South Tower escaped from above the impact floors because one stairwell, Stairwell A, was intact.

I don't think anyone from Marsh McLennan (my company) or Cantor-Fitzgerald (our upstairs neighbors on 101-105) survived; the plane flew straight into the core of the tower and destroyed all the stairwells and elevators. We lost something like 300 people that day, still breaks my heart to this day that we lost so many good people.
glad to see your okay, must have been nice to be there and always remember what it was like, some people cant say that, i don't think anything in the world could ever top the devastation that happened on 9/11, truley is sad, i can't watch 9/11 films or videos because i always cry seeing those people suffer what they did

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 12:24 AM
Come As You Are

^^True, I'm pretty tough when it comes to crying, but I can't help it when I think of those people falling. These are some of the very rare buildings I can say I truly love without ever having seen them. And I'm not saying this because they were destroyed. They dominated and made an impact unlike any other building in the world, so there's a reason I'm so curious about what they were like and what other people thought of them.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2012, 1:07 AM
Bionic Boogie

total domination...

SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jul 23, 2012, 6:03 AM
Basket Case

From the 1990 version of Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego.

Source

Also on an episode of the old PBS Carmen Sandiego game show from 1991 the Double Trouble Twins steal the Twin Towers.
Video Link

Last edited by OptimumPx; Jul 23, 2012 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 12:58 AM

This is probably the most detailed video of the former World Trade Center and the Twin Towers. This person stayed in the Marriott so he got a lot of detailed video clips of the World Trade Center.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 4:24 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Those clips were amazing.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 9:28 PM
Come As You Are

I thought the Twin Towers complex was an architectural masterpiece, but I had one problem. The offices/interiors were quite ugly. If they hadn't collapsed, I would have suggested a complete hollow-out and modernization. But the structures themselves were perfect.
I liked 3WTC's interior, as seen in that clip, and I have no clue about 7WTC's interior, but 4,5,and 6s were average.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 1:32 AM
Crane Goddess

Those videos rocked, thanks for posting them! How I wish I could have had that experience while they were still here with us. Looking at those videos, I found myself wanting to rub a cheek against that smooth, shiny marble in the South Tower lobby.
And reach out and touch that red roof light right along with the guy in the video.
The room he had, with its view of the plaza, that's what I would have wanted, had I stayed in that hotel.
There aren't words to describe how much I miss those towers.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 10:00 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture