HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Talk about arbitrary tastes. Pure homerism. Worse than Stacey King.
It would be if I lived at Walton. Your statement makes no sense unless you are unaware of the definition. Opinion is opinion. And arbitrary tastes are based on such.

You like red I like blue. Thats not "homerism".

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:32 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I don't see the big difference. This is bizarre.
There's a difference, but I personally don't care for either style. If anything, OBP holds more promise than Walton IMO, but I will wait for both to make more progress. Not much more any of us can do anyways.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 2:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
OK, Tom Servo. How do you really feel?
Your avatar looks to be Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Your not going NIMBY on us are you?

In all seriousness I think its time that folks made peace with this building. Its happening, theres no stopping it. It seems overhysterical to say that its going to "ruin" the skyline. Park Tower didn't ruin the skyline and neither did Elysian. Some people will like this building and some will hate it. But the vast majority of people will simply disregard it.
Ok, and all the beige monstrosities in River North didn't ruin that skyline? I haven't made peace with that. I've had to wait over a decade for it to even begin to heal. So, I'm not being hysterical, a little caustic, yeah, but I have every reason to be. Look at the bullshit that replaced Waterview - the mismatched curved base, the botched, mismatched glass panels, the hokey cutout and janky looking exposed columns. And at least 311 is absorbed by the sheer mass of Wacker's streetwall. Not so with this one. Look at that cladding dude. Really? you really don't see the diff between that and Walton. Not that i love Walton, but there's thoughtfulness there in execution.

AND With regard to the Nortorious RBG - if you can't respect her, I can't help you.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
So, I'm not being hysterical, a little caustic, yeah,
A little caustic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
What in the living fuck. This is unacceptable. Related is destroying the skyline. So pissed. It's a big brown fucking turd.
The facade doesn't look really beige to me in the photos posted. Maybe it's just the lighting but it looks more grey.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 9:15 PM
Development Shill

I love seeing you all get angrier and angrier about this building. I'm really enjoy what I've seen from it so far, and honestly, all of your opinions mean nothing in the end like has been stated before; the building is getting built, not need to get a heart attack over seeing fault in a design that looks pretty freaking good to me. Maybe I'll take my comment back when the project is complete, but people are judging this building as if its the worst thing to happen to Streeterville before it's even topped off, let alone complete

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:34 PM

it is surprisingly less beige than advertised

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:36 AM
1st Ward

I'm surprised at all the rage this building is getting. I honestly don't think it looks that bad.

People who think this building is going to ruin the skyline, lets go back in time when garbage like Grand Plaza and The Fordham were going up. When Millennium Center was going up, I remember everyone being relieved that it wasn't beige. It was beige-pink.

Even if you think OBP is putrid filth, the skyline has suffered from a lot worse than this.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:21 AM
The City

Grand Plaza is the single ugliest piece of shit that has ever emerged from Chicago's soil

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:27 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Grand Plaza is the single ugliest piece of shit that has ever emerged from Chicago's soil
My vote for that goes to the Chicago Sun-Times Building. But damn I'm so disappointed in how One Bennett is shaping up. Was a decent homage to Deco so much to ask for? =/
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
It's really bad, but it's almost fun to reimagine its potential if a creative developer were able to buy it and reposition it.

Part of the problem is that the design is halfway between weird 80s-era retrofuturist and 2000s-era 'classy' beige River North aesthetics. If you abandon the latter and focus on the former, I think it could be a really cool, interesting building.

Imagine hiring Ronan to redesign it – paint it another color (black?) or reclad if feasible, envelope the balconies in glass and extend the interior square footage out to it (could be configured to act like these –https://www.wsj.com/articles/cold-we...ens-1484837629) , and build a veritable shit-ton of liner units on every side of the base (these could be duplex if the existing ceiling heights of the garage floors are too low).

There's a lot of potential for a creative developer, provided the mechanisms of building code aren't too constraining.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:06 AM

03/22/17

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:50 AM

This dude is starting to fly. Should start making a huge impact and presence more felt in a month or two.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:38 PM

How quickly is a new floor poured every week for new construction highrises? It seems once past the parking garage / base that 2 floors are added per week on average for construction around the city.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:02 PM

Would it not be easier to powerwash those panels before they hang them?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
are those window casings just brown, or bronze (as the material)?
Fairly certain they are brown aluminum, as the color isn't quite right for oxidized bronze, and I doubt this project would have the budget. In fact, the last time that I know of bronze being used in a building's facade system above the first few floors was Mies' Seagram Building in New York.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:19 PM
Urbane observer

I've always thought one floor a week was a general rule of thumb for residential with identical, ordinary-sized floorplates.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 7:27 PM

A large floor plate like Marquee at Block 37 (22k SF) takes about 4 days per typical floor. Most average sized buildings with 15k SF or less will hit a typical 3 day per floor concrete cycle.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 2:36 AM

March 23

Painting Precast ?

March 24

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 12:22 PM

^Apparently. If you look in the renderings, these frames and spandrels are brown like the windows.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Christ on a wheel. what's going on there? i can't tell if it's wet or botched staining.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive