HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

American Commerce Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 1:13 AM
Corporate logo

Thanks for posting that link to Phillyskyline.com, Don. I got a call from Garrett Miller around 5:00 and he is eager to get a large group to show their support for the tower. He tells me that the Kennedy House folks are really playing hardball. We have to show them we can play harder. Remember, this is a long process and this is just one (albeit very important) step.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 1:36 AM

Smile

I have to admit this is the best looking project outside of Chicagoland right now in the USA! Hopefully it will get build some day

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:23 AM

Observation deck? Badass.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:43 AM
Up, up, and away!

Wow... It finally looks as if it's all finally starting to come into place... But it's really the meeting on Tuesday that will play the big role on how this will go down... Oh, and awsome pics by the way... I really hope they come out with some renders of the building looking towards the city from Camden. That'd be sweet looking too.

I still can't help but get nervous thinking about this... Anybody else here getting butterflies? I sure am... I desperately hope this happens...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 3:24 AM
BANNED

How about a little role call? I hear lots of verbal support on here, but who is actually going to go to the meeting? I will definitely be there. Who else?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 4:06 AM
Corporate logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
How about a little role call? I hear lots of verbal support on here, but who is actually going to go to the meeting? I will definitely be there. Who else?
See ya there.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 4:13 AM
My CAT digs.

I will try. Depends if I can bail on a 2PM conference call. If I can, I will bring one of my co-workers with me.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 4:13 AM

Alright, this is too important. Tomorrow I'm requesting Tuesday off from work and will see you guys there.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 5:14 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late1 View Post
Alright, this is too important. Tomorrow I'm requesting Tuesday off from work and will see you guys there.
You are a true hero and lead the way for the rest of us here...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Pennsylvania is ftw.

I'll be there, perhaps with some of the other Drexel architecture kids, if they are interested.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:03 PM
Corporate logo

New Venue

The PPC meeting on Tuesday at 1:00 PM has been moved to the Friends Select School at 1651 Benjamin Franklin Pkwy. This holds 500 people.

Remember to show up as early as possible. Let's help to make this happen.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2008, 9:59 PM

I'll definitely be there...now that's its just a block away from school.

Oh, are we going to have a meeting place? So we can all stick together?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 3:14 AM

I like this, hope it gets built.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 9:00 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Can't be there, it's in the middle of my geology lab, and my prof canceled last week's lab--meaning I have to be there and not there. Sucks, I know.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 2:12 PM
Corporate logo

Why Not Philadelphia?
By Thom Nickels, For The Bulletin

11/16/2008

Many questions have been asked about the proposed American Commerce Center since it was unveiled by Garrett Miller in the spring of this year. But of them, the most important was the first, pondered by Mr. Miller himself - "Why not Philadelphia?"

He remembers sitting at his desk, leaning back with feet raised, late in the day on Sept. 18 of last year, having just closed on the acquisition of a property owned by Verizon. The 1.5-acre site lies directly adjacent to the Comcast Center, Bell Atlantic Tower, One and Two Logan, and the Mellon Bank Center. It sits squarely in the heart of the Central Business District and from a distance marks the missing piece in the skyline of Philadelphia.

Mr. Miller, born and raised in Philadelphia, graduated from LaSalle High School in 1995 and the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School in 1999. He is now the president of Hill International Real Estate Partners, the owner of 1800 Arch St. He spent nine years rowing on the Schuylkill River, is a three-time World Rowing Champion, and competed at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. He spent five years working in the real estate markets of New York City before returning home to Philadelphia. He is also the visionary and driving force behind Philadelphia's most exciting addition to its storied skyline, the 1,510-foot-tall American Commerce Center.

ACC, as many now call it, was born out of Mr. Miller's simple question: "Why not Philadelphia? Why not here? Why not now?" Upon hearing him speak about the project, it quickly becomes clear that it is his vision, passion and intensity that drive this project forward.

The first step was a call to Gene Kohn, a Philadelphia native and fellow graduate of the University of Pennsylvania.

"Gene and I first met on a cool fall day in late October of last year on the corner of 18th and Arch," Mr. Miller said. "We walked the site while I explained my vision for Philadelphia and the site to him. He asked me many questions that day, including what I love about Philadelphia."

After an hour wandering the site, the men sat down to develop some ideas.

"I watched intently as Gene's mind went to work," Mr. Miller said. "He sketched out on a napkin a number of design ideas, and amazingly one of them was not too dissimilar from what became the American Commerce Center."

It took five months before anyone got a glimpse of the design.

"Everyone knew that the site had been sold by Verizon to a developer but I don't think anyone, other than Garrett Miller, had been envisioning this" said Tim Conrey of CRESA Partners.

Although he is young - 31 years old - you get the sense that this project is not just about Mr. Miller and his ambitions, but, rather, it is the embodiment of his hopes and dreams for Philadelphia.

"I love this city. I know this city's heart and soul," he said. "Unfortunately, we've been beaten up the past few decades, sometimes fairly, sometimes unfairly but regardless, we need to come together to break away from this second city mentality, we are known for the underdog mentality embodied in 'Rocky.'

"I love 'Rocky' too, but the gritty city that is portrayed in the films is not the Philadelphia of today. We've grown up and evolved into a great American city, and are now starting to be recognized as such by those looking from the outside in. Philadelphia needs to start taking the same view of itself from within, and start asking the question, 'Why settle for our past when we can embrace such an exciting and dynamic future?'

"Cities are dynamic environments," Mr. Miller continued. "They either improve or they decline. Philadelphia needs to put itself into a position to change for the better. Although we have a great historical past that we should respect, it's important for us to realize and embrace our future. The thing to remember is cities don't stay the same. When you choose to live in an urban environment, you choose a dynamic area that is always evolving."

Mr. Miller is referring to a small but vocal group opposing the ACC, a contingent of mostly older residents of the Kennedy House in Center City.

"We have received broad support for the project. However, there has been some limited opposition from a few local residents," said Peter Kelsen, the attorney for developer Hill International. At a previous City Planning Commission meeting, opponents of ACC wanted the project scrapped or the height of the tower scaled back to traditional and "safe" Philadelphia building heights. Opponents of the project apparently fear that the iconic gleaming tower, which will be one of the tallest buildings in the nation, will block views of the city from their Kennedy House windows, or cast unsightly shadows. Opponents also insist that the building's height is out of scale with the neighborhood.

The proposed skyscraper, however, is not in the Logan Square neighborhood, but smack in the middle of the city's Central Business District.

For Christopher Paliani, a resident of the Logan Square neighborhood at 19th and Arch streets, the notion that the new building is in somebody's neighborhood is far from but valid.

Mr. Paliani created a website in support of the ACC (www.LSN4ACC .com) and says that many Logan Square neighbors think that the project will be a huge benefit to the neighborhood.

"This area is really the central business district, but the opponents are making it seem like it is being stuck in the middle of Fairmount," he said. "This is one of the best places they could put this building. This is the kind of building that people would move to Philadelphia from New York for. This is not a neighborhood issue. It's a regional issue, and having one small group having veto power over something is not something that benefits the entire region."

The idea of quashing a proposed skyscraper project because it would potentially block views from another high-rise ignores the fact that all buildings in cities do just that.

"There was the same kind of opposition when they wanted to build Liberty I and II," Mr. Paliani added. "Detractors said those buildings were too big or too tall and now that they are there they are a spectacular addition to the city."

The fate of the American Commerce Center now lies in the hands of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission. There have been two information-only presentations before the Commission by the development and design team in recent months. A formal hearing will be held tomorrow.

The past sessions included presentations and studies by the development team on parking, traffic, loading, shadow studies, economic impact, the architectural design and pedestrian interaction. "The most important part of the design of any building is how it interacts with the pedestrian on the street and it was my charge to the architects to create a podium and retail presence that engages and excites Philadelphia," Mr. Miller said.

The artful "ground scale" design makes the rising tower above look even more fantastic. No matter what school of architecture you subscribe to, this is no vertical glass canyon that "slams" the face of the sidewalk like a footprint left by Frankenstein. The building engages the pedestrian at the street and encourages interaction. The ACC's signature design feature is the "urban room" situated between the 63-story office tower and 26-story hotel.

"While the retail is designed to draw pedestrians to the site, the elevated green park spaces are designed to draw them into it," explained Bill Louie of Kohn Pedersen Fox architects.

A City Planning Commission meeting is a grandstander's paradise. At the last ACC City Planning Commission meeting, opponents voiced their opinion that Philadelphia doesn't need the American Commerce Center because "Philadelphia isn't that kind of city."

But what does "that kind of city" mean?

City Planners heard arguments like this in 1986, when the debate raged over Center City buildings exceeding the Billy Penn's hat height limit. Those debates were loud, passionate and sometimes vicious.

What are the prospects for success?

"It's a beautiful building and an incredible design. It's a piece of art," said Andi Pesacov, the broker in charge of leasing the retail space at the ACC.

Plans are underway for a gourmet food store, two or three restaurants, a boutique cinema, a theater and a high-end gym.
And what about the prospects for the always ubiquitous "anchor tenant?"

"Garrett now has a team of people with the economic capability and the expertise to do a project of this magnitude," Mr. Conrey said, when asked about the tower's prospects for success. "In a small way, you have a perfect storm of a few events happening that can make this a viable project."

That might not bode well with the opponents of the ACC, who want Philadelphia to be aware of its limitations.

The website for the American Commerce Center (www.acctower .com) bluntly states, "This Changes Everything." Truer words may have never been spoken about Philadelphia.

It might also be the perfect answer to Mr. Miller's question.

Thom Nickels can be reached at ThomNickels1@aol.com

Link

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 2:39 PM

damn, i really hope they build this thing

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:56 PM
Stay Classy Philadelphia

We still need a blue chip company to be the anchor for this building. I hope somebody from NYC (or anywhere) will see cost savings to move their operations here.

Its a big building to fill.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
Why Not Philadelphia?
By Thom Nickels, For The Bulletin

11/16/2008

Many questions have been asked about the proposed American Commerce Center since it was unveiled by Garrett Miller in the spring of this year. But of them, the most important was the first, pondered by Mr. Miller himself - "Why not Philadelphia?"

He remembers sitting at his desk, leaning back with feet raised, late in the day on Sept. 18 of last year, having just closed on the acquisition of a property owned by Verizon. The 1.5-acre site lies directly adjacent to the Comcast Center, Bell Atlantic Tower, One and Two Logan, and the Mellon Bank Center. It sits squarely in the heart of the Central Business District and from a distance marks the missing piece in the skyline of Philadelphia.

Mr. Miller, born and raised in Philadelphia, graduated from LaSalle High School in 1995 and the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School in 1999. He is now the president of Hill International Real Estate Partners, the owner of 1800 Arch St. He spent nine years rowing on the Schuylkill River, is a three-time World Rowing Champion, and competed at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. He spent five years working in the real estate markets of New York City before returning home to Philadelphia. He is also the visionary and driving force behind Philadelphia's most exciting addition to its storied skyline, the 1,510-foot-tall American Commerce Center.

ACC, as many now call it, was born out of Mr. Miller's simple question: "Why not Philadelphia? Why not here? Why not now?" Upon hearing him speak about the project, it quickly becomes clear that it is his vision, passion and intensity that drive this project forward.

The first step was a call to Gene Kohn, a Philadelphia native and fellow graduate of the University of Pennsylvania.

"Gene and I first met on a cool fall day in late October of last year on the corner of 18th and Arch," Mr. Miller said. "We walked the site while I explained my vision for Philadelphia and the site to him. He asked me many questions that day, including what I love about Philadelphia."

After an hour wandering the site, the men sat down to develop some ideas.

"I watched intently as Gene's mind went to work," Mr. Miller said. "He sketched out on a napkin a number of design ideas, and amazingly one of them was not too dissimilar from what became the American Commerce Center."

It took five months before anyone got a glimpse of the design.

"Everyone knew that the site had been sold by Verizon to a developer but I don't think anyone, other than Garrett Miller, had been envisioning this" said Tim Conrey of CRESA Partners.

Although he is young - 31 years old - you get the sense that this project is not just about Mr. Miller and his ambitions, but, rather, it is the embodiment of his hopes and dreams for Philadelphia.

"I love this city. I know this city's heart and soul," he said. "Unfortunately, we've been beaten up the past few decades, sometimes fairly, sometimes unfairly but regardless, we need to come together to break away from this second city mentality, we are known for the underdog mentality embodied in 'Rocky.'

"I love 'Rocky' too, but the gritty city that is portrayed in the films is not the Philadelphia of today. We've grown up and evolved into a great American city, and are now starting to be recognized as such by those looking from the outside in. Philadelphia needs to start taking the same view of itself from within, and start asking the question, 'Why settle for our past when we can embrace such an exciting and dynamic future?'

"Cities are dynamic environments," Mr. Miller continued. "They either improve or they decline. Philadelphia needs to put itself into a position to change for the better. Although we have a great historical past that we should respect, it's important for us to realize and embrace our future. The thing to remember is cities don't stay the same. When you choose to live in an urban environment, you choose a dynamic area that is always evolving."

Mr. Miller is referring to a small but vocal group opposing the ACC, a contingent of mostly older residents of the Kennedy House in Center City.

"We have received broad support for the project. However, there has been some limited opposition from a few local residents," said Peter Kelsen, the attorney for developer Hill International. At a previous City Planning Commission meeting, opponents of ACC wanted the project scrapped or the height of the tower scaled back to traditional and "safe" Philadelphia building heights. Opponents of the project apparently fear that the iconic gleaming tower, which will be one of the tallest buildings in the nation, will block views of the city from their Kennedy House windows, or cast unsightly shadows. Opponents also insist that the building's height is out of scale with the neighborhood.

The proposed skyscraper, however, is not in the Logan Square neighborhood, but smack in the middle of the city's Central Business District.

For Christopher Paliani, a resident of the Logan Square neighborhood at 19th and Arch streets, the notion that the new building is in somebody's neighborhood is far from but valid.

Mr. Paliani created a website in support of the ACC (www.LSN4ACC .com) and says that many Logan Square neighbors think that the project will be a huge benefit to the neighborhood.

"This area is really the central business district, but the opponents are making it seem like it is being stuck in the middle of Fairmount," he said. "This is one of the best places they could put this building. This is the kind of building that people would move to Philadelphia from New York for. This is not a neighborhood issue. It's a regional issue, and having one small group having veto power over something is not something that benefits the entire region."

The idea of quashing a proposed skyscraper project because it would potentially block views from another high-rise ignores the fact that all buildings in cities do just that.

"There was the same kind of opposition when they wanted to build Liberty I and II," Mr. Paliani added. "Detractors said those buildings were too big or too tall and now that they are there they are a spectacular addition to the city."

The fate of the American Commerce Center now lies in the hands of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission. There have been two information-only presentations before the Commission by the development and design team in recent months. A formal hearing will be held tomorrow.

The past sessions included presentations and studies by the development team on parking, traffic, loading, shadow studies, economic impact, the architectural design and pedestrian interaction. "The most important part of the design of any building is how it interacts with the pedestrian on the street and it was my charge to the architects to create a podium and retail presence that engages and excites Philadelphia," Mr. Miller said.

The artful "ground scale" design makes the rising tower above look even more fantastic. No matter what school of architecture you subscribe to, this is no vertical glass canyon that "slams" the face of the sidewalk like a footprint left by Frankenstein. The building engages the pedestrian at the street and encourages interaction. The ACC's signature design feature is the "urban room" situated between the 63-story office tower and 26-story hotel.

"While the retail is designed to draw pedestrians to the site, the elevated green park spaces are designed to draw them into it," explained Bill Louie of Kohn Pedersen Fox architects.

A City Planning Commission meeting is a grandstander's paradise. At the last ACC City Planning Commission meeting, opponents voiced their opinion that Philadelphia doesn't need the American Commerce Center because "Philadelphia isn't that kind of city."

But what does "that kind of city" mean?

City Planners heard arguments like this in 1986, when the debate raged over Center City buildings exceeding the Billy Penn's hat height limit. Those debates were loud, passionate and sometimes vicious.

What are the prospects for success?

"It's a beautiful building and an incredible design. It's a piece of art," said Andi Pesacov, the broker in charge of leasing the retail space at the ACC.

Plans are underway for a gourmet food store, two or three restaurants, a boutique cinema, a theater and a high-end gym.
And what about the prospects for the always ubiquitous "anchor tenant?"

"Garrett now has a team of people with the economic capability and the expertise to do a project of this magnitude," Mr. Conrey said, when asked about the tower's prospects for success. "In a small way, you have a perfect storm of a few events happening that can make this a viable project."

That might not bode well with the opponents of the ACC, who want Philadelphia to be aware of its limitations.

The website for the American Commerce Center (www.acctower .com) bluntly states, "This Changes Everything." Truer words may have never been spoken about Philadelphia.

It might also be the perfect answer to Mr. Miller's question.

Thom Nickels can be reached at ThomNickels1@aol.com

Link
Why can't us?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
Why can't us?
Hahaha - nice one!

PBJ has the ACC as their main story online - doesn't say too much different than the Swinefeld article except for one important (puzzling?) line...

Quote:
Tuesday — eight months after unveiling plans for Center City’s tallest skyscraper — the developer of American Commerce Center will go before the Philadelphia Planning Commission for what could be a major step toward the building’s future.

Hill International Real Estate Partners is hopeful the planning commission will vote in support of the project, which would then clear the way for City Council to approve re-zoning the ground for the grand development.

The 1,500-foot-tall, $1.1 billion proposed complex has excited many people with its ambitious vision. It has also prompted skepticism by others who question its viability amid a global economic meltdown. At 2.2 million square feet of office, hotel, retail and other space, it has also frustrated a group of nearby residents who think the building is just way too big and dense for the site at 18th and Arch streets.

Attorney Joe Beller represents residents of the Kennedy House, at 1901 John F. Kennedy Blvd. He and his clients are open to having the parcel developed — but at its current zoning, which would allow about 1 million square feet.

“There’s an ongoing effort to try to reach some accommodation, but at the moment we haven’t gotten there,” Beller said. “Part of the problem is the scale is so large it’s hard for my people to wrap their arms around it and hug it.”

While size is the dominant issue for Kennedy House residents, they also have concerns about traffic and loading dock placement. Residents and Beller plan to attend Tuesday’s planning hearing.

“We know we have no right to dictate to somebody what he or she wants to put on their property, but we do have the right to fight when someone wants to double the amount you want to put on the property,” Beller said.

Though the developer is aware of the Kennedy House’s worries, Hill International is “cautiously optimistic” the commission will support the re-zoning, said Peter Kelsen, an attorney with Blank Rome, who is representing Hill International.

The developer and Kelsen have met with community groups, including Beller and Kennedy House residents, since March in an attempt to placate their concerns.

“We have been working to address and resolve concerns and to engage in a meaningful dialogue and get into specifics on what it means to be too big or too dense,” Kelsen said. “You can’t address it meaningfully if you don’t get specifics.”

To ease concerns over density, architects have tweaked the building’s design to open it up to mitigate any perceived bulkiness, he said. “This is not a solid box that races up to the sky,” he said.

While that’s an issue that will arise at the hearing, the developer plans to sell the commission on what it believes are considerable public and economic benefits the complex will provide to the city and state.

The construction of American Commerce Center will potentially translate into $1.6 billion in total expenditures, supporting more than 6,800 jobs and $270 million in earnings just in the city, according to an Econsult Corp. impact study commissioned by the developer. Those figures are compounded on the state level with up-front construction costs generating $15 million in tax revenue for the city and $56 million for the state.

Once completed and leased up, the tower would continue to have an economic impact. The developer will seek state and city incentives to help lure an anchor tenant but will do so once a tenant is in extended negotiations. Drug company GlaxoSmithKline continues to be a lead candidate for the property, according to sources.

There are other benefits that go beyond job creation and tax money, Kelsen said. For example, the developer will extend the public transit concourse, seek LEED gold certification, create indoor and outdoor public spaces including a museum and gallery, incorporate underground parking and street-level retail, among other features.

“It energizes the immediate area,” Kelsen said.

Beller is also hoping to persuade the planning commission to resolve the density issue raised by Kennedy House residents. If not, the fight will likely be taken to the City Council. “We may not get the recommendation we want,” he said. “It’s not over because the planning commission says ‘yes.’”
http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/...898000^1733149

I'm not sure how considering the HQ relocation, but one can hope they aren't just getting confused again (read: tallest building in the country claims)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 2:07 PM

I thought GSK's HQ is going to be in Research Triangle, NC not Philadelphia. I truly hope that there are enough people to put down the old cranks in Kennedy House. I would love to see this building be built and added to the skyline like Cira Center II and the Waldorf Astoria as well. Now only if Market Street East and Penn's Landing where only redeveloped into something nice. Wow. Dare to dream.

I thought GSK's HQ is going to be in Research Triangle, NC not Philadelphia. I truly hope that there are enough people to put down the old cranks in Kennedy House. I would love to see this building be built and added to the skyline like Cira Center II and the Waldorf Astoria as well. Now only if Market Street East and Penn's Landing were ever redeveloped into something nice. Wow. Dare to dream.

Last edited by Swinefeld; Nov 18, 2008 at 2:48 PM. Reason: Duplicate posts

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive