HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 12:45 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Is that a rail proposal along I-35? I was unaware of that option if so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
It would be nice ti eventually have a light rail connection from downtown to the airport. The new transportation method of the future is getting picked up and carried to your destination by an Amazon drone!
Only if it can be done with Prime or same-day...I wouldn't want to wait in a distribution center somewhere for a couple days...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:10 AM

Incredible timing ^^^^^^ I was just logging on to ask if anyone had heard anything about Capital Metrorail expansions, specifically the MoKan Corridor to Round Rock.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Is that a rail proposal along I-35? I was unaware of that option if so.
Highway BRT, in the toll/transit lanes proposed for 35.

Looking like stations downtown (a few) inline stations at Rundberg, Tech Ridge, Slaughter. Park and rides at 45 SE, potentially RR and SM

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 1:33 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Highway BRT, in the toll/transit lanes proposed for 35.

Looking like stations downtown (a few) inline stations at Rundberg, Tech Ridge, Slaughter. Park and rides at 45 SE, potentially RR and SM
Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:21 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Incredible timing ^^^^^^ I was just logging on to ask if anyone had heard anything about Capital Metrorail expansions, specifically the MoKan Corridor to Round Rock.

MoKan didn't make phase 1. I can't find the track for it on Google Maps. I'm assuming it shares the same track as the Green line and then keeps going north past 290 but it's hard to spot exactly where it goes. I think it would require more work than the Green line which already has protected intersections along its entire path.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Thanks.
This makes me realize, I don't believe we've had much discussion on this proposal on this site (even though it's in progress).

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ns-of-brt.html

A more detailed discussion is available in the capmetro board packet.

http://capmetrotx.iqm2.com/Citizens/...89&Inline=True

It's the july 11th worksession if that link doesn't work.

http://capmetrotx.iqm2.com/Citizens/Calendar.aspx

In general, I support it, as it seems a good bang-for-the-buck, low cost implementation, given two assumptions.

1) toll lanes on I35 are going to happen regardless, so we should use them for some sort of transit.

2) CapMetro actually can get the rest of the capital cost from other source, as they claim.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:21 PM

U.S. 183 North expansion project to move forward, TxDOT decides

Ben Wear American-Statesman Staff

http://www.statesman.com/news/183-no...YtTqzmR3hkktL/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

While at my local aquarium store yesterday, I was stopped by a TxDot employee doing a survey. He asked if I would participate and I said sure. The first couple of questions were nothing special. The first question was if I had gone to that location directly from my home or from another location. I was running errands so it was my last stop before heading home which is what the second question was if I was heading directly home from there. The 3rd question was different than the first two. He asked how many times per year on average do I travel to Dallas? I told him that I haven't been up there since I was 8 years old. 4th question was how often I go down to San Antonio per year on average. I answered typically once per year. The 5th was about Houston which due to family living there, usually head over there twice a year. The final question was would I travel to Dallas, San Antonio or Houston by rail instead of driving. My response was most definitely yes.

Looks like they are taking input from the community regarding rail. Not really sure what the point of the first couple of questions was other than filler info.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
While at my local aquarium store yesterday, I was stopped by a TxDot employee doing a survey. He asked if I would participate and I said sure. The first couple of questions were nothing special. The first question was if I had gone to that location directly from my home or from another location. I was running errands so it was my last stop before heading home which is what the second question was if I was heading directly home from there. The 3rd question was different than the first two. He asked how many times per year on average do I travel to Dallas? I told him that I haven't been up there since I was 8 years old. 4th question was how often I go down to San Antonio per year on average. I answered typically once per year. The 5th was about Houston which due to family living there, usually head over there twice a year. The final question was would I travel to Dallas, San Antonio or Houston by rail instead of driving. My response was most definitely yes.

Looks like they are taking input from the community regarding rail. Not really sure what the point of the first couple of questions was other than filler info.
That is interesting. But I wonder why they were doing what appears to be a non-scientific survey about it?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 12:32 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
I wonder if the flyover bridges that were cut (183/620) will be an option later.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 8:38 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That is interesting. But I wonder why they were doing what appears to be a non-scientific survey about it?
I have no idea, I also thought it odd that he was standing outside an aquarium store of all places to do it. He did have his TxDot info and name tag so I can confidently say he was legit. I can't think of a reason why someone would pose as a TxDot employee doing a survey about rail anyways lol. I just figured I'd mention it since it's regarding transportation.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 11:07 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I have no idea, I also thought it odd that he was standing outside an aquarium store of all places to do it. He did have his TxDot info and name tag so I can confidently say he was legit. I can't think of a reason why someone would pose as a TxDot employee doing a survey about rail anyways lol. I just figured I'd mention it since it's regarding transportation.
Man, no wonder things move so slowly with TxDOT....

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 5:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post

This is very good news. The MoPac north project is the middle segment of a very long corridor plan and it's a little awkward sitting out there by itself. This will build a flyover to get traffic from the mopac toll lane to 183 north and back. It'll also make other improvements to the 1/2 mile of north mopac close to 183.

We really need to hope the South Mopac project gets going soon and that they pick the 2 toll lane in each direction option. It's a really well put together plan and takes advantage of the space in that corridor by making a lot of structural improvements with respect to entrance/exits/bypasslanes that will really help traffic flow.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:17 PM

Austin vision for I-35 makeover now includes two toll lanes per side:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/loca...wspaper_email&

Plus, elimination of the upper deck. Would be nice to see that monstrosity go. Wow!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post

Plus, elimination of the upper deck. Would be nice to see that monstrosity go. Wow!
This seems really odd news to me. What does this mean for the 3 new ramps at 183 (about to start construction)? The 51st intersection? CapMetros inline station plans?

Just seems late to change stuff up.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:08 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
This seems really odd news to me. What does this mean for the 3 new ramps at 183 (about to start construction)? The 51st intersection? CapMetros inline station plans?

Just seems late to change stuff up.
Completely agree. This doesn't make a lot of sense. I guess most of the work they are doing really is overpasses, frontage roads and entrance/exits. They could also design with the intention to keep the new 35/183 connectors and the re-designed 35NB to 183NB where they are slated to currently go.

Does anyone have a link to the direct accountant from TxDot?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:09 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:

Any speculation what this means for a cut and cap downtown?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:39 AM

Quote:

3 levels of traffic through downtown? Are there any plans or renderings of any of this?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:08 AM

This is rather surprising since the plan to add one lane in each direction to the upper deck and one in each direction on the lower level seemed to be a done deal. I guess this new plan doesn't have any affect on all the work already underway on I-35 in South Austin.
Stacking six lanes in pairs in each direction means the frontage roads will still be at least three lanes in each direction. All totaled this would be 18 lanes through central Austin. Two levels of underground levels is going to be sick.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 6:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Maybe something like this, but with the lowest level being open-air with columns, not walls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin