HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 4:22 PM
Novacek Novacek is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's just one aspect of Austin that always bugs me. We try to cut corners way too much to save money or time. I mean, I think that with the boost to the property tax revenue the city and county would get from all of that development that we should get something more substantial and permanent than a floating bridge.
Honestly I never thought they proposed that to save money. Especially once you add operating costs, I'd be surprised if it's cheaper.

I figured it was just new/unique/original/"more-Austiny"

You know, the gondola of bridge designs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:51 PM
Flatiron's Avatar
Flatiron Flatiron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That's just one aspect of Austin that always bugs me. We try to cut corners way too much to save money or time. I mean, I think that with the boost to the property tax revenue the city and county would get from all of that development that we should get something more substantial and permanent than a floating bridge.
Please tell me this is a joke. How about something that has the capacity to be here in 100 years?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:07 PM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If they want another pedestrian bridge then build another pedestrian bridge, maybe one where some sort of future light rail component could be built onto.
Exactly.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 2:39 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
I'm here for no one.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My side of the fence
Posts: 7,101
Yeti's flagship store on S. Congress is considered to be one of - if not the first - South Shore projects.
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...ongress/ns9fZ/


From the article:



The U/C location from a September Google driveby:
__________________
Austin on Urban Planet:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/215-austin/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2016, 11:28 PM
Geckos_Rule's Avatar
Geckos_Rule Geckos_Rule is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austin
Posts: 338
Not sure if this counts as being technically south shore, but it's south congress, so I thought it warranted mentioning. But the owner of a pretty large piece of property on SOCO has decided to develop it into mixed-use, per the Statesman's report.

http://www.statesman.com/business/do...ef=cbTopWidget
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:23 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Not sure if this counts as being technically south shore, but it's south congress, so I thought it warranted mentioning. But the owner of a pretty large piece of property on SOCO has decided to develop it into mixed-use, per the Statesman's report.

http://www.statesman.com/business/do...ef=cbTopWidget
Glad to see Lake Flato will be doing this project - they do really excellent work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:44 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,628
It's not just Docs, that's quite a lot of businesses that this development will be displacing. Other than restaurant space, there's no mention of retail space.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 1:24 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's not just Docs, that's quite a lot of businesses that this development will be displacing. Other than restaurant space, there's no mention of retail space.
My hope is that, as more and more plots get developed in or near downtown, developers will see local businesses as advantageous for retail/restaurant spots on the ground floors. Not only does it bring density/development (which is inevitable), but it preserves culture and keeps local businesses around. I'm glad to see more density, but I've heard great things about that restaurant (I've not been there) and I know a few friends who will be sad to see it go. Good to know that they're looking for another spot.

I know that there's no way to force developers to rent out to local businesses only, but I do wonder if incentives would at all be reasonable to that end? What do you guys who are more familiar with how incentives work think of that? Obviously, part of it would require keeping the rent low enough for local businesses to be able to afford it...
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 11:23 AM
H2O H2O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
My hope is that, as more and more plots get developed in or near downtown, developers will see local businesses as advantageous for retail/restaurant spots on the ground floors. Not only does it bring density/development (which is inevitable), but it preserves culture and keeps local businesses around. I'm glad to see more density, but I've heard great things about that restaurant (I've not been there) and I know a few friends who will be sad to see it go. Good to know that they're looking for another spot.

I know that there's no way to force developers to rent out to local businesses only, but I do wonder if incentives would at all be reasonable to that end? What do you guys who are more familiar with how incentives work think of that? Obviously, part of it would require keeping the rent low enough for local businesses to be able to afford it...
After the Domain subsidy controversy, City Council passed a resolution banning all retail subsidies. The only way the City can mandate local business requirements is through redevelopment of City-owned land like Seaholm and Mueller. There are requirements in both cases.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 2:09 PM
Flatiron's Avatar
Flatiron Flatiron is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Austin
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's not just Docs, that's quite a lot of businesses that this development will be displacing. Other than restaurant space, there's no mention of retail space.
The Statesman article mentions retail space:
A mixed-use project planned for the commercial strip that includes Doc’s would displace the pub, along with Sfanthor House of Wax, Texas National Outfitters, Wet Salon & Studio, Strut, Parts & Labour, United Apparel Liquidators and a gym. The project calls for office, retail and restaurant uses as well as a parking garage.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Dec 4, 2016, 5:48 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
The Statesman article mentions retail space:
A mixed-use project planned for the commercial strip that includes Doc’s would displace the pub, along with Sfanthor House of Wax, Texas National Outfitters, Wet Salon & Studio, Strut, Parts & Labour, United Apparel Liquidators and a gym. The project calls for office, retail and restaurant uses as well as a parking garage.
It does! I have dyslexia with numbers but I wonder if I have a little dyslexia with words too because I swear I only saw restaurant uses.

Speaking of new development along SoCo, a little off topic but not totally as it would link SoCo to South Shore Central. Has there been any updates on the possibility of the School for the Deaf selling their property along Congress?
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 1:21 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,524
^ I recall that mentioned on this forum a long time ago (maybe more than a year ago). I just skimmed through a bunch of stuff and couldn't find the reference. There was an article talking about MUD for the entirety of the grassy stretch from Nellie to the creek, if I recall correctly.

I do think it could work - they could even tie it into the school and connect SoCo with South Shore, like you mentioned, Jdawgboy, and perhaps have some outdoor eating space or something to protect the huge trees there. Could be fun.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 4:34 AM
ATXCirca2014 ATXCirca2014 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It does! I have dyslexia with numbers but I wonder if I have a little dyslexia with words too because I swear I only saw restaurant uses.

Speaking of new development along SoCo, a little off topic but not totally as it would link SoCo to South Shore Central. Has there been any updates on the possibility of the School for the Deaf selling their property along Congress?
This is not happening. The Texas School for the Deaf is receiving over $200M from the state for the campus renovation/expansion starting next year. TSD is here to stay forever. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 10:58 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,524
I don't think he was saying that the school should go away; he was only asking about the land along Congress. No one is suggesting the school should go away.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 8:42 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,628
The school is not going anywhere nor should it. The only piece of their property in question is the strip of land which borders Congress Ave. There was an article as drummer mentioned regarding the possibility that they might sell the strip of land. The school itself would not be affected. I was just asking if anyone had heard or seen any updates about that? If I remember correctly, it was only a possible option that they could do.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 12:30 AM
ATXCirca2014 ATXCirca2014 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The school is not going anywhere nor should it. The only piece of their property in question is the strip of land which borders Congress Ave. There was an article as drummer mentioned regarding the possibility that they might sell the strip of land. The school itself would not be affected. I was just asking if anyone had heard or seen any updates about that? If I remember correctly, it was only a possible option that they could do.
Got it, thanks for the clarification. I agree about the strip of land. It should be redeveloped. Too many homeless people set their camps there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 2:03 AM
drummer drummer is offline
德克萨斯人 y'all
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Asia by way of Texas
Posts: 2,524
It seems to me that it would be a wise financial decision for the school also. If they sold it now, when the market is red hot, think of how much they could bring in...it's prime real estate.
__________________
人无完人
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 3:13 AM
verybadgnome verybadgnome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Holly neighborhood, Austin
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
My hope is that, as more and more plots get developed in or near downtown, developers will see local businesses as advantageous for retail/restaurant spots on the ground floors. Not only does it bring density/development (which is inevitable), but it preserves culture and keeps local businesses around. I'm glad to see more density, but I've heard great things about that restaurant (I've not been there) and I know a few friends who will be sad to see it go. Good to know that they're looking for another spot.

I know that there's no way to force developers to rent out to local businesses only, but I do wonder if incentives would at all be reasonable to that end? What do you guys who are more familiar with how incentives work think of that? Obviously, part of it would require keeping the rent low enough for local businesses to be able to afford it...
Yes, it would be good to see more density while preserving some of the good old stuff. A right of first refusal for the old tenants is a good start.
Just drove up Burnet Rd this weekend and noticed the new Pour House pub on the ground floor of a 5 story mixed use development.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 5:33 PM
Jdawgboy's Avatar
Jdawgboy Jdawgboy is offline
Representing the ATX!!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin
Posts: 4,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCirca2014 View Post
Got it, thanks for the clarification. I agree about the strip of land. It should be redeveloped. Too many homeless people set their camps there.
Welcome to the forum. It's great to see new posters. Feel free to join into the conversation in any of the threads.
__________________
"GOOD TIMES!!!" Jerri Blank (Strangers With Candy)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted Dec 6, 2016, 11:24 PM
lzppjb's Avatar
lzppjb lzppjb is online now
7th Gen Central Texan
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 2,702
Having more shops/restaurants on that strip would be really cool. It'd extend South Congress and make it even more vibrant.

I don't believe TSD should move. I like that they've been there so long. But that strip of land is not used by them, from what I can tell. Sell it and stipulate the buyer has to put up a nice privacy fence or wall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.