HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:15 AM
Closed account

she's friggin tall too.
She was at the Gore Plaza/two-way meeting last week. Either that or her boots had huge heels.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 6:21 PM
Closed account

Just a reminder about this upcoming talk at the AGH. Should be good.

TNT: Local Media - Voice of the Few, or Mouthpiece for the Masses?

T.N.T. again brings together an expert panel of speakers to engage in discussion about current issues. The city of Hamilton has one major newspaper, several alternative papers, a half-dozen community weeklies, one network television station, one cable television station, and seven radio stations. Yet many feel their voices are not heard and that local issues do not receive the depth of coverage needed. What role should local media play in the community?

Terry Cooke will chair a panel including respected representatives from several media corporations on local and national fronts, as well as independent speakers from the worlds of arts and media, including confirmed participants Mike Katrycz, News Director, CHCH News, Ted Kennedy, Chief of Staff, CBC English Radio, Dave Kuruk, Founder and Editor of H Magazine, Tor Lukasik-Foss, artist and columnist, Ryan McGreal, Editor of www.raisethehammer.org, and Jim Poling, Managing Editor, News, The Hamilton Spectator.

Date & Time: Thursday, April 17, 7:00 pm
(optional exhibition tour at 6:00 pm included with T.N.T. ticket)

Price: AGH Members $10.00 | Students/Seniors $12.00 | Non-Members $15.00

Pre-registration is recommended. Reserve your attendance by purchasing tickets on-line, or by calling Laurie at 905-527-6610, ext. 272 or Tina at ext. 250.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 7:10 PM
Closed account

too bad they didn't get Mr. Losani and Mr. Desantis to sit on the panel.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 3:20 AM
Closed account

unfortunately, joe and aldo are men of few words.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:28 PM
Closed account

Not so much of a messup, but more-so of a snub:

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/...ie-stroke.html

Not once is there mention of Hamilton when this woman clearly lived/worked here for years (according to The Spec's article on the same subject). They say "McMaster" and "McMaster University" a couple times, but for Joe McIgnorant out in Calgary is going to have no idea where 'McMaster University'. The article mentions Windsor, so these people could think McMaster is one of Michighan's many Universities.

Why does the media snub us so often or portray Hamilton as a horrible place. It's no wonder the rest of Canada hates Hamilton, it's all they know.

Did we do something to P them off? Why can't Hamilton ever get any love!?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post

Not once is there mention of Hamilton when this woman clearly lived/worked here for years (according to The Spec's article on the same subject). They say "McMaster" and "McMaster University" a couple times, but for Joe McIgnorant out in Calgary is going to have no idea where 'McMaster University'. The article mentions Windsor, so these people could think McMaster is one of Michighan's many Universities.

Why does the media snub us so often or portray Hamilton as a horrible place. It's no wonder the rest of Canada hates Hamilton, it's all they know.

Something about fire-breathing smokestacks from the bay.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:49 PM
Closed account

it's not that tough to figure out.
most national media is centred on TO....and TO has a massive inferiority complex.
so much so, that they feel the need to constantly slight the little brother down the highway in a feeble attempt to feel good about themselves.
It's been this way for years and won't change until Toronto becomes a 'world class city'.... in other words, never.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
most national media is centred on TO....and TO has a massive inferiority complex.
so much so, that they feel the need to constantly slight the little brother down the highway in a feeble attempt to feel good about themselves.
It's been this way for years and won't change until Toronto becomes a 'world class city'.... in other words, never.
Come on. You think that Hamilton did not get mentioned in a throwaway article because of Toronto's inferiority complex??

Maybe instead of constantly shaking my head at you, I should ask you to share some of your Kool-Aid.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTed View Post
Come on. You think that Hamilton did not get mentioned in a throwaway article because of Toronto's inferiority complex??

Maybe instead of constantly shaking my head at you, I should ask you to share some of your Kool-Aid.
First off, it's FAR from a 'throw-away-article'... it was at the top of the NEWS HEADLINES section of CBC.ca when I first got to work this morning (8am), and is currently the 2ND MOST VIEWED ARTICLE OF THE DAY (current time: 11:30am).
It's also the 1st time in Canadian history that anything like this has ever happened. IT'S A PRETTY BIG DEAL, TED!

Stop responding to msgs and purposely posting articles you KNOW are going to piss particular people off.

My question was (and still is) WHY DOES HAMILTON GET SNUBBED BY NATIONAL MEDIA... stick to the topic. Maybe you could give me some insight as a non-Hamiltonian rather than picking a fight?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I don't think it's an inferiority complex so much as a massive blind spot. Hamilton is simply not on their radar and they can't conceive of the possibility that it's capable of supporting life. I used to live in TO and I still spend quite a bit of time there. When you tell people you're from Hamilton, they look at you like you just announced you're from the planet Xenon. "You mean people actually live there?"

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:50 PM

Toronto Star intentionally avoids Hamilton news so to not directly compete with the Hamilton Spectator. Thus the problem with media 'synergies'.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 4:09 PM

Quote:
First off, it's FAR from a 'throw-away-article'... it was at the top of the NEWS HEADLINES section of CBC.ca when I first got to work this morning (8am), and is currently the 2ND MOST VIEWED ARTICLE OF THE DAY (current time: 11:30am).
It's also the 1st time in Canadian history that anything like this has ever happened. IT'S A PRETTY BIG DEAL, TED!

Stop responding to msgs and purposely posting articles you KNOW are going to piss particular people off.

My question was (and still is) WHY DOES HAMILTON GET SNUBBED BY NATIONAL MEDIA... stick to the topic. Maybe you could give me some insight as a non-Hamiltonian rather than picking a fight?
DC83, it is not a snub. It is commonplace for universities to be named without their host cities being mentioned. I keep referencing a Henry Morgentaler article from today that mentions, McGill, Ryerson, and UWO, but does not mention Montreal, Toronto, or London --- those cities are not being snubbed either. Unfortunately, my posts keep getting deleted, so you have probably not seen the article.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 5:54 PM

What really irritates me in Canadian papers is the need to append ON after a Hamilton byline. I guess there must be some other Hamilton in the country it could be mistaken for, but I would think the average Canadian knows Hamilton exists (while having a poor opinion of it from my experience).

It is too bad in a way that Mac doesn't have the moniker University of Hamilton. We wouldn't then have this problem.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:

I realize that your mention of Calgary is an example of a Canadian region that, to you, is largely unaware of where McMaster is. However, the assertion is still ridiculous: any one who has a degree, I would contend, knows where MAC is. McMaster is one of the elite 14 medical-doctoral institutions in the country. It is also internationally recognized. Pretty much everyone knows where it is; who cares about those who don't?

As for Calgary, it has the most degrees granted per capita of any city in the country, making it the most educated of city populations in the nation. Finally, I lived in Calgary for years--and taught at the U of C--and everyone I ever met knew where McMaster is.

Don't worry so much. McMaster is what I call Canadian Ivy League, up there with McGill, UT, Queen's, and UWO.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:16 PM
On Guard For Thee

Toronto may indeed have an inferiority complex (but it's a "world-class" inferiority complex at least)...but worry that Hamilton doesn't get mentioned in an article about McMaster is...well...evidence of the same complex. Living outside of Hamilton for the past 15 years, I've come to realize that contrary to popular opinion at home--the rest of Canada actually doesn't 'hate' Hamilton to the degree many people believe. You get the odd comment about industry...but honestly, that's about it. Remember, anyone who travels through Hamilton from the west...via the 403, is treated to a far different first impression of the City than the GTAs who traverse via the QEW...perhaps that is the difference...but when I've travelled this country, I've gotten comments about the Ti-Cats, the need for an NHL team, Sheila Copps and a dozen other things AS WELL as questions/comments about the steel industry.

The fact that the city wasn't mentioned in this article is an absolute non-story--and any resulting outcry is purely bush-league. Hamilton can stand on it's own strengths and merits and is blessed to have McMaster in it's midst. Be confident.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:20 PM
Closed account

^^ Ya, I was totally using it as an example and nothing more. I was actually going to say 'ButtFuck, AB' but we're not suppose to swear on here hehe I guess it's not profanity if it's a city, right? haha So no disrespect to CGY, I actually like the city and am super jealous of the C-Train.

And I know a lot of educated, or at leat well-informed, individuals such as most of us on here know where Mac is. I even know there's a UBC campus in Kelowna (UBC Okanagan I believe), but I just wish Hamilton would have been mentioned. It doesn't take much to add an 8-letter name in there; "First case of FAS ever in Canadian history discovered in Hamilton". If they took the time to mention 'Southwestern Ontario', why not just say Hamilton?

UPDATE:

They've revamped the article Hmmm
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/...ke-accent.html

Alright... who emailed to bitch at them!?! hahaha

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
Toronto may indeed have an inferiority complex (but it's a "world-class" inferiority complex at least)...but worry that Hamilton doesn't get mentioned in an article about McMaster is...well...evidence of the same complex. Living outside of Hamilton for the past 15 years, I've come to realize that contrary to popular opinion at home--the rest of Canada actually doesn't 'hate' Hamilton to the degree many people believe. You get the odd comment about industry...but honestly, that's about it. Remember, anyone who travels through Hamilton from the west...via the 403, is treated to a far different first impression of the City than the GTAs who traverse via the QEW...perhaps that is the difference...but when I've travelled this country, I've gotten comments about the Ti-Cats, the need for an NHL team, Sheila Copps and a dozen other things AS WELL as questions/comments about the steel industry.

The fact that the city wasn't mentioned in this article is an absolute non-story--and any resulting outcry is purely bush-league. Hamilton can stand on it's own strengths and merits and is blessed to have McMaster in it's midst. Be confident.
Agreed. Besides, the article clearly mentions that the woman had treatment at Hamilton General. Any further mention of Hamilton would be redundant.

FCF, my experience in the West is similar to what you say regarding outsiders' view of Hamilton: they know a little about the city, but not much, and, largely, have no negative opinion of the city. When I hear a well-worn stereotype invoked, I merely correct it, to which they reply good-naturedly, as though learning something knew. Hamiltonians need to shake the cultural cringe they were weaned on.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 6:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
^^ Ya, I was totally using it as an example and nothing more. I was actually going to say 'ButtFuck, AB' but we're not suppose to swear on here hehe I guess it's not profanity if it's a city, right? haha So no disrespect to CGY, I actually like the city and am super jealous of the C-Train.

And I know a lot of educated, or at leat well-informed, individuals such as most of us on here know where Mac is. I even know there's a UBC campus in Kelowna (UBC Okanagan I believe), but I just wish Hamilton would have been mentioned. It doesn't take much to add an 8-letter name in there; "First case of FAS ever in Canadian history discovered in Hamilton". If they took the time to mention 'Southwestern Ontario', why not just say Hamilton?

UPDATE:

They've revamped the article Hmmm
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/...ke-accent.html

Alright... who emailed to bitch at them!?! hahaha
I hear you. My personal pet peeve regarding Hamilton in the media is the appended "ON" after it always, as someone above already posted about. Jeepers, everyone knows where Hamilton is.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 10:18 PM
Closed account

haha...too funny.
I'm watching the CBC 6pm news and they just did a story about a group of Western students developing a new kind of biofuels. they didn't mention London once.
Then they did this story about the womans speech at Mac and sure enough, they said "Hamilton". lol.
they must be reading this.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:26 AM

WOW, all these posts because a news article didn't mention Hamilton. Please someone remind me who has the inferiority complex???

You'll all be happy to know the Globe & Mail clearly indicated that McMaster is in Hamilton: Alexandre Sévigny, a researcher at McMaster University in Hamilton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion