HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
How long till Satan arrives and redevelops the rest of The Strip?
I honestly wish they would give it a bit of a facelift. I'm not opposed to how it looks now, but has always looked sketchy to me. The new Holler and Dash will look pretty good though replacing that god awful TCBY.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:50 PM

University BLVD road work begins Monday

Quote:
Beginning Monday, sections of University Boulevard on the University of Alabama campus will be closed as part of the first phase of an $11.3-million road improvements project designed to enhance aesthetics and reduce the speed of traffic entering campus.

“We will be starting immediately following graduation,” said Tim Leopard, associate vice president for construction administration.

The closures are scheduled to continue into August.

The UA System board of trustees approved the project in February. The work is funded by $8.6 million in grants from the Alabama Department of Transportation and $2.7 million from UA. The project is divided into two phases.

Phase 1, which begins Monday, will include repaving and landscaping on University Boulevard from Sixth Avenue to roughly the site of the marching band’s practice field.

The work includes replacing the existing concrete roadbed with asphalt, replacing the curbs, installing new medians and irrigation, sidewalk lighting, and rebuilding of storm inlets.

The finished roadway would include two traffic lanes, bike lanes, and a center turn lane or a landscaped median. The landscaped median will occur between Devotie Drive and Second Avenue.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:51 PM

Saw the new road, Peter Bryce BLVD, is being paved currently. Looks nice

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 5:54 PM

Council OKs renovated downtown parking lot, condo complex near Bryant-Denny Stadium

Quote:
Two votes by the Tuscaloosa City Council have cleared the way for a renovated downtown parking lot and condominium complex near Bryant-Denny Stadium.

The 43-space renovated parking lot will be at the southeast corner of Seventh Street and 23rd Avenue. The parking lot is owned by the First Baptist Church.

According to city officials, the church plans to expand, reconfigure and restripe an existing parking lot that sits directly across from the city's intermodal facility's entrance.

This is a second, separate church-owned lot from the one at 2302 Seventh St., located just west of the intermodal facility.

The church plans to install gates, booths, lighting and security measures and will charge motorists to park there.

The City Council's vote on the new parking lot fell under the guidelines of the Downtown Riverfront Overlay District, which governs development in the downtown area and was created in 2007 as a stop-gap regulatory ordinance to monitor development in the downtown area until a Greater Downtown Master Plan could be adopted and implemented.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 4:03 PM
Cat Enthusiast

World of Beer is coming to Tuscaloosa! AL.com LINK

"World of Beer has leased 5,000 square feet at 2107 and 2109 University Blvd., in Tuscaloosa, and should open in early October, according to Justin Toomey of Stirling Properties, who represented the craft beer tavern chain."

The WoB here in Birmingham is my main hangout. This'll be a great addition to Tuscaloosa bar scene. Also, awesome that Alabama will have a second WoB. Most states don't eve have one.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
World of Beer is coming to Tuscaloosa! AL.com LINK

"World of Beer has leased 5,000 square feet at 2107 and 2109 University Blvd., in Tuscaloosa, and should open in early October, according to Justin Toomey of Stirling Properties, who represented the craft beer tavern chain."

The WoB here in Birmingham is my main hangout. This'll be a great addition to Tuscaloosa bar scene. Also, awesome that Alabama will have a second WoB. Most states don't eve have one.

Wow that's awesome news! I've been impressed with the new craft beer scene that has hit Tuscaloosa. Bo Hicks, owner of DC, has really done a nice job of adding unique culture to the town lately and has hosted a plethora of fun events.

This is great news though!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 2:48 PM

Tuscaloosa is getting a few new chained restaurants. Two of them being a Cookout and a Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers.

Road work on both sides of University are looking good. Should improve the UA/Tuscaloosa corridor.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 5:06 PM

Off topic, but I've enjoyed the improved music scene here in T-Town. The Live at Plaza is an enjoyable experience, as is the free music the bars have downtown at Temerson Square on weekends.

Some bug bands are coming to the amphitheater this fall too. Can't wait!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 12:03 AM

Tuscaloosa is finally getting Uber and it will be active within one month.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2016, 1:47 PM

The southbound ramp from U.S. Highway 11 at exit 70 on Interstate 20/59 in Tuscaloosa County will be closed for eight months.

There's a ton of new road work going on, but I really don't know much about civil engineering, so I'll just say it's a pain in the ass to deal with and I can't wait till it's done.

Holler and Dash is complete and will open soon on the Strip.

Speaking of the Strip, the structure of the CVS is going up. Looks nice.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2016, 2:12 PM

Road project begins next week at Sokol Park

Quote:
On Monday, the Tuscaloosa County Park and Recreation Authority will begin an asphalt sealing and re-striping project in Sokol Park.

All parking lots and roads in the southern portion of the park at 6198 Watermelon Road will be affected.

The project will be completed in phases so that the park, which includes the Will May Dog Park, can remain open to the public. Entrances on Old Colony Road and Watermelon Road will be alternately open or closed until the project is complete.

The project is expected to take 10 to 14 days, depending on the weather.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:12 AM

New YMCA on Paul Bryant Dr set to open August 1st

Old Posted Jul 11, 2016, 5:16 PM

Tuscaloosa plant expanding

Quote:
Michelin North America last week announced plans for an $8 million expansion at its BFGoodrich plant in Tuscaloosa.

The 29,000-square-foot facility, which has been operating for more than 70 years, is set to see a 215 percent increase in space available with the construction of the additional storage space. The company currently employs roughly 1,360 at the plant. It remains unclear how many jobs will be added as a result of the expansion.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:48 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCapstone View Post
I wonder how many jobs this will create.

The article only mentions the amount of space that the expansion will create. I'm certain that there will be AT LEAST a few jobs created, but I hope they come out and tell us exactly how many.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:09 PM

Angry

Quote:
I wonder how many jobs this will create.

The article only mentions the amount of space that the expansion will create. I'm certain that there will be AT LEAST a few jobs created, but I hope they come out and tell us exactly how many.

I'll keep an eye on it

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:12 PM

New condos coming near Bryant-Denny Stadium

They will start the construction late 2016.

Quote:
The condominium project will replace six aging structures, only four of which are safe for occupancy. The new development will be a 75-foot tall structure housing 64 units with a total of 179 bedrooms.

Prices are expected to range between $415,225 for 1-bedroom units to $1.38 million for penthouses.

Plans call for four 1-bedroom units, 24 2- and 3-bedroom units, five 4-bedroom units and seven 5-bedroom units.

Materials will consist of brick, glass, limestone and aluminum.

The project also calls for the inclusion of 198 on-site parking spaces for the 170 or so expected residents.

To construct the condominium project as designed and eliminate the requirement for retail space, developers sought the rezoning of the tract back to its original zoning of RMF-2U. The rezoning was approved by the City Council in May.

The development company maintains that retail would not work in the area because the property is blocks away from any kind of similar retail shops and lacks adequate parking for shoppers.

Spectrum Capital also submitted to the scrutiny of the city’s planned unit development process for permission to build to the 75-foot maximum height.

This company has owned the property since 2006 and originally planned to develop Dynasty Park, a proposed $110 million-$115 million development that envisioned a T-shaped 14-story tower with a 250-room hotel and another section with 65 condominiums.

That proposal also called for 19,000 square feet of retail space and a 738-space parking garage.

Plans for Dynasty Park were first proposed in 2008 and, at one time, it was expected to be complete by 2011.

Earlier this year, Summers said city officials later became “no longer enthusiastic” about a project of that size near the stadium and asked his company to scale it back.

“So, that's what we did and that's what we've been working on for the past year,” Summers said in April.

Councilman Matt Calderone, who represents the area as part of District 4, said he appreciated the company’s willingness to compromise with neighbors and city officials on the project.

As a result, no one was on hand Tuesday to speak against the project during the mandated public hearing before the council’s vote.

“This has been in the works for a terribly long time,” Calderone said. “ “It was nice see a developer work with the community in this way.”

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 12:15 PM

Tuscaloosa County will spend $1.1 million on pre-k programs

Old Posted Jul 13, 2016, 2:07 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm glad they're FINALLY getting moving on that condo project. They first proposed it when I got there as a freshman! I actually think the retail would have been a plus, and I hate the idea of street level parking in that area, but that's what we're getting I guess...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 6:43 AM

Quote:
I'm glad they're FINALLY getting moving on that condo project. They first proposed it when I got there as a freshman! I actually think the retail would have been a plus, and I hate the idea of street level parking in that area, but that's what we're getting I guess...
Hi all! Bama 2004 alum and current Midtown Atlanta resident. I am frequently on the ATL thread, but stumbled across this T-town thread and am now intrigued. =)

I must say that I think it's exciting all that's happening in downtown Tuscaloosa, and it seems that everyone is pretty much on board for making it a lively and unique experience for residents and visitors alike.

In regards to the condo project by the stadium, while ANYTHING is better than the delapidated apartment buildings that are there now, I'm a bit disappointed that it was so scaled down. Dynasty Park was a fantastic idea and would still do VERY well. The hotel portion I think is very much needed, as I believe the Four Points Hotel is no longer an adequate on-campus hotel. UA should build a 250+ room 4 start property ON campus. Auburn's conference center hotel is a really good size (though now kind of dated), but it's served them well, and with UA now as huge as it is, it would do good business throughout the year, especially if a significant amount of conference space was included.

Last edited by MdtwnATL; Jul 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 3:51 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
Hi all! Bama 2004 alum and current Midtown Atlanta resident. I am frequently on the ATL thread, but stumbled across this T-town thread and am now intrigued. =)

I must say that I think it's exciting all that's happening in downtown Tuscaloosa, and it seems that everyone is pretty much on board for making it a lively and unique experience for residents and visitors alike.

In regards to the condo project by the stadium, while ANYTHING is better than the delapidated apartment buildings that are there now, I'm a bit disappointed that it was so scaled down. Dynasty Park was a fantastic idea and would still do VERY well. The hotel portion I think is very much needed, as I believe the Four Points Hotel is no longer an adequate on-campus hotel. UA should build a 250+ room 4 start property ON campus. Auburn's conference center hotel is a really good size (though now kind of dated), but it's served them well, and will UA now as huge as it is, it would do good business throughout the year, especially if a significant amount of conference space was included.
Tuscaloosa got lucky when the Embassy Suites came to downtown. It's large and of good quality. But, you're right, we the city needs a hotel of the same caliber nearer to campus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast