HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
As someone who loves A&W I'm pretty excited about this! North Burnaby's only A&W is the one in the Brentwood food court, so only open mall hours!
Given that they have a building remediation company on site and the whole place sealed off (likely asbestos given the age of the building), I think it's gonna be a while before it opens up. Too bad, I'll probably be done at BCIT by then!

It's not that big of a building, so it'll probably be similar to the 'express' A&W in Port Moody.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
As someone who loves A&W I'm pretty excited about this! North Burnaby's only A&W is the one in the Brentwood food court, so only open mall hours!
Am I the only one who finds all of A&W's burgers taste the same.... and bland at that?

I'll give them props for a decent breakfast but burger wise I think it tastes pretty bad.

I'll take a 5 Guys or Wendy's burger any day of the week!

And I don't think there is any chance of a UNIQUO or whichever that chain is... I've never heard of them plus I think any of the American retailers would trump them in a bidding war of Vancouver prime retail space.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van23H View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the space was leased by Abercrombie since they have been trying to find space for years.
Not dark enough for Abercrombie, they'd have to black out all those windows.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 8:12 AM

The small retail corner at the corner of Homer and Smythe has been leased.
I can only imagine it would be a coffee shop but who knows.

pic by Built Form

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Tate View Post
Not dark enough for Abercrombie, they'd have to black out all those windows.

Good point!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
The small retail corner at the corner of Homer and Smythe has been leased.
I can only imagine it would be a coffee shop but who knows.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see who moves in.
The Beasley actually has a small cafe/restaurant space for lease (as far as I know) with a patio just to the north on Homer. Although less visible, the patio would be better for outdoor seating than the corner unit.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
And I don't think there is any chance of a UNIQUO or whichever that chain is... I've never heard of them plus I think any of the American retailers would trump them in a bidding war of Vancouver prime retail space.
UNIQLO is really big in Asia, I know a lot of people that stock up on UNIQLO stuff when they head over. They're all over Japan/China/HK/Korea but only a token presence elsewhere afaik. Given Vancouver being Vancouver, I can't see them doing poorly here.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:58 AM
Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post
UNIQLO is really big in Asia, I know a lot of people that stock up on UNIQLO stuff when they head over. They're all over Japan/China/HK/Korea but only a token presence elsewhere afaik. Given Vancouver being Vancouver, I can't see them doing poorly here.
UNIQLO is tight, would be great to have them here.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
UNIQLO is tight, would be great to have them here.
Maybe buy a size larger?

Ron.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 3:57 PM

Uniqlo is a hit in new york and europe as well has a huge cult following as well

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:02 PM

UNIQLO would be amazing. They're on the a price scale somewhere between H&M (low) and Zara (high) with select lines reaching couture prices sometimes. And Uniqlo's love corner lots or places to show off their ALWAYS bright and flashing window displays (see NYC, Paris, Tokyo stores)

Old Posted Mar 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
Be nice.

Most likely not going to get UNIQLO too soon. I emailed the company and they responded commenting "...we are sorry that we have no specific schedule to expand our business to Canada at this moment."

Take that as you will.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 5:17 AM

Crate & Barrel at Oakridge -
Pics by me today:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 6:40 PM

Payless Shoesource on Robson is closing. It was an embarrassment to have them there on such a primary corner.
Also Geox on the 900 block Robson is closing out that location as they are moving down the street. 50% off at both stores.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:27 AM

The Room at The Bay

'The Room' at The Bay in Downtown Vancouver has expanded by a few hundred square feet. It now extends to the 2nd floor aisle, and the new area features Japanese designers Junya Watanabe and Comme des Garcons. 3.1 Phillip Lim is a new designer label carried in The Room, and has its own section... I was a bit surprised given 3.1's lower price-point. In my opinion, 3.1 belongs in The Bay's 'White Space' or 'Bridge' departments.

$24million is earmarked for the store's renovations, which should conclude Fall 2012. The biggest changes will be ground-floor exterior renovations (new awnings and clean-up) 6th-floor men's store, and TopShop/TopMan in the basement (currently menswear).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:30 PM

The Room's spring 2012 campaign with Coco Rocha is beautiful as well. Good stuff happening at the Bay.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverguyDowntown View Post
'The Room' at The Bay in Downtown Vancouver has expanded by a few hundred square feet. It now extends to the 2nd floor aisle, and the new area features Japanese designers Junya Watanabe and Comme des Garcons. 3.1 Phillip Lim is a new designer label carried in The Room, and has its own section... I was a bit surprised given 3.1's lower price-point. In my opinion, 3.1 belongs in The Bay's 'White Space' or 'Bridge' departments.

$24million is earmarked for the store's renovations, which should conclude Fall 2012. The biggest changes will be ground-floor exterior renovations (new awnings and clean-up) 6th-floor men's store, and TopShop/TopMan in the basement (currently menswear).
Was just speaking with the new assistant manager (up from California who coincidentally had never heard of the Bay before being hired) who filled me in on a few more details. The Topshop will be the second largest in the world next to London's flagship. The 6th floor restaurant and regional offices will be removed to provide the extra space for menswear and the beautiful skylight will be completely restored as a focal point. So even after all the renos on the mens floor after the Stanley Cup riots water damage, the new Boss boutique is moving up to 6th as well. They aren't yet sure what will replace the current men's floor. They are seizing the opportunity provided by Sears imminent closure to expand and renovate Cosmetics. And I was especially glad to hear they will be re-doing all the sidewalks around the store while they replace the canopies. They are striving for an October completion.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 8:30 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post

Was just speaking with the new assistant manager (up from California who coincidentally had never heard of the Bay before being hired)...
Never heard of the oldest company in North America (and one of the oldest companies in the world) whose history is inextricably linked with the establishment of the New World? There are some serious gaps in this person's education.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 9:20 PM

So all men's wear (other than TopShop) will be on 6th?
I wonder if that'll work (getting guys to go all the way up there)?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 9:41 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Don't think it's such a bad idea, I was up there just recently and it's a great space that isn't being utilized well. I think the prospective clientele won't have an issue making their way up there. I agree though that the average blue collar Joe wouldn't care to make the trek, but that doesn't seem to be their target.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy