HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 1:27 PM

Northway Mall is on McKnight Road. It was one of the first enclosed malls in America, built in the late 50s. It's a great piece of real estate, but the physical building is obsolete. I'm really hoping that the new developer embraces a slightly more urban concept.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 8:33 PM
World Class City

Looks like i'm outnumbered on the faded red of K&L. To me it looks like an old rusty barge floating down the river. Nothing says "Weak-Market-Rust-Belt-City" more than faded red primer sky scrapers and sea foam green / swimming pool blue bridges. Our skyline is not as expansive as Chicago's and too much diversity of color looks too busy and is hard to look at. Like I said I dont think the red ever bothered me until some out of town architect picked a piece of teal green glass out of sample box without extrapolating how it might look along with adjacent buildings in our skyline. All I'm saying is it would be nice to tone down K&L so that newer trendier colored skyscrapers can stand out and give our skyline an updated look. Case in point, BNY's stone colored paint looks 100 times better than the 80's pinkish taupe it used to be painted AND its very complimentary to the Courthouse stone next door to it. K&L is just a big rectangular box anyway, no sense drawing attention to it with color. I still vote black / architectural bronze.

Now onto the next topic...Any new development news out there?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 9:08 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

I love the red as well and I was just thinking of Chicago also.

Im really happy that the Steubenville theater is coming along well. The downtown area really needs a focal point type attraction and that can help to start a true revitalization of downtown Steubenville. There are a lot of nice historic gems in that city.

I can't see Jefferson County being included in the CSA because the county is so large and much of it is too far from Pittsburgh. Steubenville and Wintersville have tons of people who commute to Pittsburgh but the rest of the county would dilute the percentage number required to get in the CSA. They have been marketed as suburbs or bedroom communities of Pittsburgh.

I live just inside the West Virginia Border with Washington County, PA in the Weirton Heights section of Weirton. Paris, Pa and Burgettstown are right nearby. I could easily see Hancock County becoming part of the MSA or CSA here soon. Our city has also been marketed for being close(the "westernmost suburb" etc.) to Pittsburgh with lower taxes etc and marketed for businesses that can have lower costs but are still in a location that is widely accessible to the Pittsburgh market's population and the airport. Most people here who have good jobs work in Allegheny County. Most shop in Robinson also. Pittsburgh's western suburbs are only 15 to 20 mins away and downtown is just under 30 mins. The new Airport tollway has made the drive to the airport very quick. People in Newell, lawrenceville and Chester (Northern Hancock County) usually go to Beaver County for jobs and to shop. As Pittsburgh's economy and reach continues to expand its only a matter of time. Brooke County, WV could also be included because the northern part of the county is very Pittsburgh oriented.The rest of the county isn't nearly as much so CSA would be more likely.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post

They have been marketed as suburbs or bedroom communities of Pittsburgh.

I live just inside the West Virginia Border with Washington County, PA in the Weirton Heights section of Weirton. Paris, Pa and Burgettstown are right nearby. I could easily see Hancock County becoming part of the MSA or CSA here soon. Our city has also been marketed for being close(the "westernmost suburb" etc.) to Pittsburgh with lower taxes etc and marketed for businesses that can have lower costs but are still in a location that is widely accessible to the Pittsburgh market's population and the airport. Most people here who have good jobs work in Allegheny County. Most shop in Robinson also. Pittsburgh's western suburbs are only 15 to 20 mins away and downtown is just under 30 mins. The new Airport tollway has made the drive to the airport very quick. People in Newell, lawrenceville and Chester (Northern Hancock County) usually go to Beaver County for jobs and to shop. As Pittsburgh's economy and reach continues to expand its only a matter of time. Brooke County, WV could also be included because the northern part of the county is very Pittsburgh oriented.The rest of the county isn't nearly as much so CSA would be more likely.
Great! Let's have more sprawl!!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 11:59 PM

I haven't posted here in a really long time, and I also haven't been back in Pittsburgh for a while so I was a little out of the development loop for a while. I just went back and read back to about October and am really impressed with the Gardens at Market Square project. The building looks like a lot of the new buildings erected in Manhattan in the last few years.

It is really great to see the entire downtown area getting a shot in the arm so to speak. I'm usually quite a crank about much of the development in Pittsburgh but the PNC buildings recently built and began are nice and I am looking forward to seeing the new skyline in 2015.

Not to derail the conversation much, but I'm also with Murphy on the Strip project.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Nothing says "Weak-Market-Rust-Belt-City" more than faded red primer sky scrapers and sea foam green / swimming pool blue bridges
wow. really?

I think it's simply a nice contrast to everything else. There's nothing rust belt about it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 5:03 PM

I personally like the red as well. It adds some variety to the skyline. Anyway, hate to change the subject but...

Has anyone heard anything about the future expansion of the zoo? http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-works-258714/ I am afraid it will be delayed/canceled due to the recent tragedy. I know this isn't a skyscraper, but it is development! Just curious if anyone has any info... I think the zoo/aquarium is a great asset for the city. Would love to see it continue to grow, and connect more seamlessly with highland park and the river. Would create a true multi-faceted destination.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 6:03 PM
BANNED

^ I think a full-on revitalization of/reinvestment in the whole Highland Park area is coming with what's happening in East Liberty and Lawrenceville/Allegheny riverfront parkland plans. It seems only natural, given its location and overall beautiful setting and quality homes and neighborhoods. I'e always found Highland Park to be one of Pittsburgh best and most interesting neighborhoods, filled with a wide variety of housing stock -- large and small tightly-packed Victorian blocks, incredible mansions, variety of rowhouse types, flats, duplexes, and classic apartment buildings. It is very Squirrel Hill-ish in a way, and has the now-revitalizing business district displaying its past prominence as one of the city's most desirable locations. Expansions/improvements to the Zoo only enhance it even more.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 9:53 PM

I hope you're right. If, down the line, they can getting rolling on the Allegheny Green Boulevard plan and extend the T out to Highland Park that would really work wonders. I would love to see the spine line done, but it seems the line along the Allegheny may be easier due to the layout/topography. I really wish I could just fast-forward 5 years and see what the city is like.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2012, 10:53 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I hope that zoo expansion isn't cancelled. That tragety is NOT the zoo's fault. I just love how people subject themselfs (and their kids!) to certain danger and think someone else is to blame for their demise. No, that does not make the structure unsafe or the zoo responsible. That makes you dumber than crap and a danger to yourself and others around you if you venture more than 10 feet from your dwelling...

In any event, would this increase the zoo's land coverage, which currently stands at 77 acres? Awesome if it does!

What's wrong with adding counties to the MSA or CSA? You do realize that would increase Pittsburgh's metropolitan population, and it could qualify for more federal $$$ for infrastructure, etc, right? That doesn't necessarily lead to sprawl. That's up to the various counties and municipalities and their land use/zoning ordinances and comp plans (if applicable)...

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 3:10 PM

Quote:
That tragety is NOT the zoo's fault. I just love how people subject themselfs (and their kids!) to certain danger and think someone else is to blame for their demise. No, that does not make the structure unsafe or the zoo responsible. That makes you dumber than crap and a danger to yourself and others around you if you venture more than 10 feet from your dwelling...
That has nothing to do with it.

I also would avoid "dumber than crap" comments when one can't spell.

Secondly, what happened to that child is horrific. Freak, tragic accidents do happen, but this one was particularly awful.

It was also shocking and traumatic for the zoo and its employees.

They are likely going to need to heal before launching some expansion. It's not unusual to pause after such an event.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 5:25 PM

Here's a nice write-up from the Trib compiling all of the recent and futrure riverfront developments, with some criticism of Buncher's plans.

http://triblive.com/aande/architectu...#axzz2EZl7BUC8

Old Posted Dec 10, 2012, 10:01 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
That has nothing to do with it.

I also would avoid "dumber than crap" comments when one can't spell.

Secondly, what happened to that child is horrific. Freak, tragic accidents do happen, but this one was particularly awful.

It was also shocking and traumatic for the zoo and its employees.

They are likely going to need to heal before launching some expansion. It's not unusual to pause after such an event.
That was just a response to someone else posting that, and I am aware that a healing process is necessary.

Also, if you're insinuating that "dumber" is mispelled, it's not...

Good write-up on riverfront development. I really think we missed the mark on quite a few of our riverfront developments. I didn't even think of the Waterfront at Homestead. It does make sense tho. Why couldn't they have proposed a vast towne center-type development with a number of restaurants and store fronts facing the river?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 11:29 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

Some development facing the river front is a good Idea. But it all depends on whats on the other side. It's not the ocean. It's a green river. We see them enough.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2012, 11:44 PM

New Riverhounds digs, Highmark Stadium, looking good. Almost done. now if only we can do something about the surround parking lots... The only thing I don't understand is why they built it with zero seating on the riverside, and no room to ever expand on that side if they wanted/needed.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 12:38 AM

No room, I'd imagine.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post

New Riverhounds digs, Highmark Stadium, looking good. Almost done. now if only we can do something about the surround parking lots... The only thing I don't understand is why they built it with zero seating on the riverside, and no room to ever expand on that side if they wanted/needed.
From what I have read, it is due the width of the site. They were only going to be able to put significant seating on one sideline, so the picked the one with the best view. If they ever need to expand the stadium, there is plenty of space on the east end and if the Euro soccer fans have taught me anything, its that the best place to watch a game from is the ends. It's not like the Hounds built this with a future move to the MLS in mind. Pittsburgh is a good fit for the second tier soccer league.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 3:29 AM

I read an article recently that said they did build the stadium with MLS in mind. It's probably a long shot but they said the average MLS stadium sat 18,000 and that the new stadium could be expanded to come close to that.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 11:58 AM

Article mentioning possible expansion:

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#axzz2Eq0442xR

Given the nature of the site, I'd think Station Square Drive and probably Carson too would have to be passing under the stands, which would be interesting.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 1:14 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Article mentioning possible expansion:

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankova...#axzz2Eq0442xR

Given the nature of the site, I'd think Station Square Drive and probably Carson too would have to be passing under the stands, which would be interesting.
Yeah, I read that article when it came out as well, BrianTH. You're right, I would assume that Station Square Drive and perhaps Carson would have to be passing under the stands, which would actually be pretty cool. No doubt, there's no room at all on the river side of the stadium with the trail and the train tracks already there, so the only places to be potential addition areas would be on the sides as well as the main stands looking out at downtown...

Aaron (Glowrock)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations