HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Devon Energy Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
Well it sounds good. It could just be my 70's 80's mentality that thinks of citys in this area following Houston's mentality that all sprawl is good and freeways and the car is king. So, I apologize if I got out of hand. I just see people so proud of this tower(and rightly so) and the I see where the pictures and videos taken from? A car on a 16 lane freeway whisking off probably to some mall in the suburbs. Yeah Pdx has some old industrial areas right over on the east side across from downtown, but we have hipsters and microbreweries interspersed...lol. BTW, I dont think Portland has EVER widened its two north south and east west freeways at LEAST since the early 80's and we have done fine. What HAVE they done? Light rail expansion, street cars, trolleys, high density housing along transit lines, bike lanes. You know how ro RELIEVE CONGESTION? Take some mass transit. Encourage some actual PLANNING with some growth boundaries, not build more wide freeways. THINK of some options that dont promote and worship the car.
So what happens when an elevated freeway buckles like that bridge did a few years ago. Also you say mass transit can help relieve congestion and i do agree with that but their is potentially commuter rail in the works and definetly a street car line that line that will be that will be built in the next few years(it's already funded). Now I'm against the commuter rail public transportation sucks in OKC and it really sucks if you live in the inner city I'd rather see 2 light rail lines 1 for the south and 1 for the east side. Also their's also a pretty good amount of bike lanes in central okc at least. O one more thing most of the malls on OKC are in OKC there's only one mall in the metro area that's not in OKC.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePDX View Post
Well it sounds good. It could just be my 70's 80's mentality that thinks of citys in this area following Houston's mentality that all sprawl is good and freeways and the car is king. So, I apologize if I got out of hand. I just see people so proud of this tower(and rightly so) and the I see where the pictures and videos taken from? A car on a 16 lane freeway whisking off probably to some mall in the suburbs. Yeah Pdx has some old industrial areas right over on the east side across from downtown, but we have hipsters and microbreweries interspersed...lol. BTW, I dont think Portland has EVER widened its two north south and east west freeways at LEAST since the early 80's and we have done fine. What HAVE they done? Light rail expansion, street cars, trolleys, high density housing along transit lines, bike lanes. You know how ro RELIEVE CONGESTION? Take some mass transit. Encourage some actual PLANNING with some growth boundaries, not build more wide freeways. THINK of some options that dont promote and worship the car.
Portland may have OKC beat when it comes to urban character, infrastructure and vitality, but OKC wins by a mile in the category of brand new beautiful soaring gorgeous skyscrapers! Devon is a beauty!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 7:34 PM

Thanks for the photos of the glasswork finally [near] complete! I remember last summer, prior to driving through OKC, that by time October came around and I got to see the construction for myself, that the top would be completed. It's hard to believe almost 3 months later that that element has been complete! Love the new bridge too...lots of fun, neat things to follow in Oklahoma City!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 10:28 PM

Great Skyscraper

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:23 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Here's a nice video about the construction.
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
while the city needs work, any city needs work it seems these days, i disagree with the statement that it is "pigsty". that is just absurd. the fact of the matter is this. the building in question is one big step that goes a long way toward beautifying the great city of Oklahoma. another thing is this. people cant wait for governments, of any level, to do the right thing and fix up their cities. what is needed, and this project is a perfect example of what i am saying, needed is private sector investment in cities. that is a discussion for another form however and its a slippery slope that need not be thrown upon this skyscrapers thread. no,,,, this thread is purely about this particular skyscraper and no time should be wasted discussing any other subject other than this absolutely wonderful building. enough time has been wasted here as it is. tread wasting time discussing a variety of other, non Devon tower related subjects such as what you are trying to draw out your self right now. so i will close with this, the tower's topping and final ceremonies are another milestone for Oklahoma city. i cant wait to see what kind of show they will be having in store for us. as far as i can see, this is going to be the most lit up building in north America. keeping my fingers crossed that someone here gets the pictures and video out as soon as it happens and that the quality will be first rate. this tower is top notch and deserves the best kind of attention from the public and media. it will show what can happen when the right people set out to do things right.

The two times I drove through OKC it smelled like rotten eggs. There's something wrong with the pollution there....

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 4:34 PM

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP View Post
The two times I drove through OKC it smelled like rotten eggs. There's something wrong with the pollution there....
What you're smelling is the cottonseed mill directly south of the old I-40 and Bricktown. The land it sits on is for sale I believe and there are plans in the very near future to tear it down and build something else.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:47 PM

Cranes are starting to coming down!!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 8:22 AM
Big City Enthusiast

correction: crane starting to come down.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 10:13 AM

No sooner than one of the two cranes constructing the Devon Energy Tower begins coming down, here's a hint of what's in the city's future...

Downtown Oklahoma City office market shines compared to U.S.

The Skyline Will Grow

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:45 PM

Tantalizing ...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 3:19 PM

What a great building...................great

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 12:32 AM

West side crane coming down

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 7:28 AM
Everywhere all at once

I need pictures of the skyline with this tower completely glassed so much right now. I'm officially newly obsessed with Oklahoma City. MOAR SKYSCRAPERS PLZ

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 10:23 AM

From westbound side of the old 40:

From the OKC National Memorial:

From the northwest:

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:17 PM
She needs her space

That's got to be kind of sad wrapping up construction on such a magnificent building. Kind of like a good vacation coming to an end...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 4:24 PM

There's more to come...

Downtown Oklahoma City abuzz with building

Developers, city officials provide an update on more than $1 billion in construction under way in downtown Oklahoma City.

Published: February 12, 2012

More than $1 billion in construction is under way downtown — at this moment. Some of the projects, most notably the 50-story Devon Energy Center, can be spotted miles away. But others are less visible, and yet more work is on the drawing boards and on the cusp of keeping the construction industry gainfully employed for years to come.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 10:16 PM

Sticks out like a sore thumb lol

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim24tn View Post
Sticks out like a sore thumb lol
Won't for long,more scrapers on the way!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive