HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 9:24 PM

You cannot see Ottawa's skyline very far. From the southeast, Highway 417 near Walkley Road exit, from the south, Airport Parkway near Hunt Club Road, from the west, on the hill from Kanata towards the city, possibly the furthest, from the north on Highway 5, from the northeast on Highway 50 somewhere in the Gatineau sector, and the northwest, from a few points in Gatineau Park. In general, forests in the Greenbelt block the view of the city but this may change a bit when the 45 storey Claridge Icon tower starts building up. It is already under construction.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 12:37 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce View Post
This city is not nearly as large as any of the cities posted in this thread, but it does have a prominent feature in its skyline that is visible for many miles away - the Empire State Plaza in Albany, New York can be seen from many different angles, as it sits in a wide valley.
At almost 1.2 million Albania is only a little smaller than Ottawa, not a huge amount smaller than Calgary or Edmonton, and larger than Winnipeg or Quebec City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Posted last week in the Canadian Skyline thread. Taken from approximately 60 km away.
That's also about the farthest spot the Hamilton skyline can be seen from.

On a side note, is Vancouver visible from Nanaimo area? That's only a little farther than the Niagara-Toronto gap and those two skylines are easily visible from one another.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
You can see an unobstructed view of Vancouver's skyline from the mountains of Vancouver island up to 145km northwest of downtown. The Olympic mountains in Washington State are 150+km, but have a partly obscured view due to the hill that the city of Vancouver is located. But the 280km view from Mt Rainier to Metrotown is hands-down the winner.

In conclusion, from Mt Rainier, one can actually see any building taller than ~80m in Burnaby's Metrotown.

Yep, I live at the very top of Metrotown (and hence all of Metro Vancouver) and I can confirm that your math checks out. I can see Mount Rainier, so the opposite must also be true (although will require huge binoculars).

I can also confirm that Olympic Mountains are easily visible from these heights. A beautiful snow capped mountain range at this time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Just how crazy it is to look out of your window and see Mount Rainier. Yes, I really mean bloody Mount Rainier which is behind Seattle, some 286 kilometers away (that's 177 miles)!

Mount Rainier is actually so far away that due to Earth's curvature only the very tip of this giant (4,392m / 14,411ft) can be seen this far.

Last edited by Klazu; Jun 29, 2016 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2016, 10:35 PM

That's crazy, it's hard to see Rainier from Seattle most days, bloody cool when you can though, that mountain is massive!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:00 AM

Yeah, I cannot imagine being able to see much further than 300km anywhere in the world. Even from top of the Alps I doubt one could see even as far, considering that the flat ground around the Alps will curve behind the horizon very quickly.

The trick is to be quite high up oneself and then be looking at something massive that is far away. Let's remember that Mount Rainier massive (4,392 meters!) and even then it is almost completely hidden by the horizon!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:22 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

^^^ This is true not only for the curvature of the Earth, but also from a haze and smog point of view also... only on rare days would the air be clear enough over that distance to see that far...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Winnipeg's skyline can be seen from some places along the Perimeter Highway around the city.. I think it is generally 12-18 KM away from downtown depending on which part of the perimeter you are on.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.85069...2!8i6656?hl=en

source (gotta squint hard lol)

same angle, zoomed way in

source
On the very rare, very clear day, I've been able to see the Winnipeg skyline from the bend in the TCH just west of Richer, where it turns from a west to a northwest condition, and where the ground elevation begins to drop as gradually descend into the Red River Valley. The distance from that bend in the road to the city centre skyline is approximately 50 kms.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:49 AM

Quote:
^^^ This is true not only for the curvature of the Earth, but also from a haze and smog point of view also... only on rare days would the air be clear enough over that distance to see that far...
Yeah, haze is a bitch on such distances and on most clear days Mount Rainier cannot be seen because of it. Even on very clear days it looks like a mirage in the horizon and it is only during the short evening alpenglow that one can really see it (in the evening temperatures are also cooler and air calmer).

So yeah, it is quite lucky to see it even from our place.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2016, 12:56 AM

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 4:46 PM

Cool Montreal angle.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
On the very rare, very clear day, I've been able to see the Winnipeg skyline from the bend in the TCH just west of Richer, where it turns from a west to a northwest condition, and where the ground elevation begins to drop as gradually descend into the Red River Valley. The distance from that bend in the road to the city centre skyline is approximately 50 kms.
I've never made note of exactly where, but coming from the east it's not long after you break out of the forest onto the plains (in my opinion one of the finest experiences of Canadian geography there is).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:15 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Excellent "curvature of the Earth" photo...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 8:56 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
I don't think any other Canadian city would be visible from as far away as Montreal, which has the perfect combination of extremely low-lying, flat surroundings and a 'wall' of perches for viewing 100kms away (Green mountains and maybe even parts of Adirondacks).
When viewed from the south, the MTL skyline appears as if it is set on a platter.

One thing that has intrigued me is that we are conditioned to think that streets such as St Catherine or Rene Levesque run east-west. However, when viewing the city from great distances, the more north-south axis (of those corridors) becomes apparent.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 5:06 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Winnipeg's skyline can be seen from some places along the Perimeter Highway around the city.. I think it is generally 12-18 KM away from downtown depending on which part of the perimeter you are on.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.85069...2!8i6656?hl=en

source (gotta squint hard lol)

same angle, zoomed way in

source
The winnipeg skyline is visible from the south east on the transcanada from ste anne if you get the right conditions which is about 40 kms. If there wère any significant elevations on the canadIan shield there would be great unobstructed views from hundreds of kms.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
The winnipeg skyline is visible from the south east on the transcanada from ste anne if you get the right conditions which is about 40 kms. If there wère any significant elevations on the canadIan shield there would be great unobstructed views from hundreds of kms.
I've only been to Winnipeg twice and the last time was in 2000. We were driving in from the East and definitely could see the skyline from was was probably around Ste. Anne. It was a very clear Summer day. I remember the spot being well before reaching the ring road.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2017, 8:11 PM

That photo of Mount Rainier really amazes me!! I didn't think it was ever possible to see an object that far away even when using a zoom lens.

Is it possible to see or take a photo with a zoom lens from some where in Washington state (or anywhere in the U.S.) and see Vancouver's skyline? If so, is there a photo out there that exists?

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Excellent "curvature of the Earth" photo...
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7207/1x0rr9.jpg
where did the curve go on this one? this one is my photo taken at 318 meters above sea level showing dead nuts level to 318 meters above sea level downtown.zoom in and you'll be shocked at what you can see along the supposed horizon. pic was taken from 52 km away.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 12:56 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Welcome to the Forum!

The "curve" is missing because the pic is taken over land only, not over a body of water. Water is essentially flat, without hills, valleys, trees, whatever... But land is not. There are multiple hills and valleys between where you took the pic from and downtown Toronto.

Excellent photo btw... great resolution from that distance!

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 4:44 AM

yes I'm above the city of milton by 300'. usually if you want to see over something you need to be above it. But if you zoom in on the sunset and find my horizon then follow that line back to toronto you will see that there is zero curve.
if you want me to believe that the elevation of lake ontario curves over 800' from hamilton to downtown yet right along the shore i can see downtown lit with sunlight right to almost the street level in some spots only the outline of mississauga blocking my view you've got your work cut out. lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada