HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
why are there so many fare-gates in this station, yet so few at the busiest stations... including Canada-Line.
You clearly don't frequent Surrey Central Station often. This is one of the busiest stations. Every train that arrives any time of day or week has near rush-hour sized crowds exiting.

Also any time of day or week the platform is always crowded waiting for a train. This is the main transfer point for the majority of South Fraser buses.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
You clearly don't frequent Surrey Central Station often. This is one of the busiest stations. Every train that arrives any time of day or week has near rush-hour sized crowds exiting.

Also any time of day or week the platform is always crowded waiting for a train. This is the main transfer point for the majority of South Fraser buses.
I've never been, i don't go to Surrey. but according to boarding data it is the 13th busiest, and just behind the Canada-Line station Broadway-City Hall. it has 5 fare-gates.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
I've never been, i don't go to Surrey. but according to boarding data it is the 13th busiest, and just behind the Canada-Line station Broadway-City Hall. it has 5 fare-gates.
The number of faregates at the Canada Line stations do seem unexplainably low.. Langara with 3 ?? Only 5 at Broadway ? That dumb gap in the middle of the gates at VCC ? Waterfront with 1 into the platform and 2 out of it ?

I feel like they should've given every station at least 4, and sacrificed one of the wide ones if it meant fitting 2 regular gates..

Side note: I watched somewhat walk right up to one of the wide gates at Surrey Central and push his way through with relatively little effort.. They a lot easier to open, as well as follow someone through, than the smaller gates.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I've never been, i don't go to Surrey.
Smart man.

Quote:
but according to boarding data it is the 13th busiest, and just behind the Canada-Line station Broadway-City Hall. it has 5 fare-gates.
I would have thought it'd easily be in the top 10.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Well you seem to be in a good position to comment on Surrey then.

The problem with the current boarding data is that it is pre-compass system and based on a single day of observation for the most recent 2015 stats. They also don't have weekend data.
It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare once this is updated using compass data.

I can assure you from taking the SkyTrain to and from Surrey Central on a regular basis, and seeing the entire expo line in comparison along the way, that it is well above most stations in passenger volume. I would say the only other stations I see more or similar amounts of people exiting/boarding at are Granville, Burrard, Broadway, and Metrotown.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and...ce-Review.aspx

http://www.translink.ca/-/media/Docu...xpo%20Line.pdf

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
The problem with the current boarding data is that it is pre-compass system and based on a single day of observation for the most recent 2015 stats. They also don't have weekend data.
It will be interesting to see how the numbers compare once this is updated using compass data.

I can assure you from taking the SkyTrain to and from Surrey Central on a regular basis, and seeing the entire expo line in comparison along the way, that it is well above most stations in passenger volume. I would say the only other stations I see more or similar amounts of people exiting/boarding at are Granville, Burrard, Broadway, and Metrotown.
I'm waiting on them releasing the 2016 data so we can really compare too. I've ridden all three lines and Expo has obviously been the busiest - so it's no surprise that the data they've released so far backs that up.

Also Surrey Central is one of the stations where you'll see a surge of people when a bus arrives and then it calms down until the next bus arrives, while for the downtown Van stations that doesn't happen.

That said, here's all the stations that have Avg. Daily Station Entries over 10,000

1. Commercial-Broadway
2. Metrotown
3. Burrard / Granville (tie)
4. Waterfront (Expo Line)
5. Van City Centre
6. Joyce
7. Lougheed
8. Stadium
9. Waterfront (Canada Line)
10. Main St
11. King George
12. Columbia
13. Surrey Central
14. Broadway-City Hall
15. Edmonds
16. Bridgeport

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'm waiting on them releasing the 2016 data so we can really compare too. I've ridden all three lines and Expo has obviously been the busiest - so it's no surprise that the data they've released so far backs that up.

Also Surrey Central is one of the stations where you'll see a surge of people when a bus arrives and then it calms down until the next bus arrives, while for the downtown Van stations that doesn't happen.

That said, here's all the stations that have Avg. Daily Station Entries over 10,000

1. Commercial-Broadway
2. Metrotown
3. Burrard / Granville (tie)
4. Waterfront (Expo Line)
5. Van City Centre
6. Joyce
7. Lougheed
8. Stadium
9. Waterfront (Canada Line)
10. Main St
11. King George
12. Columbia
13. Surrey Central
14. Broadway-City Hall
15. Edmonds
16. Bridgeport
The data to support this list seems pretty flimsy though. According to TransLink: "Data was collected by physical observation on a single weekday in the autumn of 2011. The stations were not surveyed on the same day."

I don't agree that Surrey Central is just busy when a bus comes in. I walk to the station, and arrive at completely random times throughout the week, and it is always consistently busy. There are so many bus bays around Surrey Central that there are constantly buses coming and going. Also high foot traffic from the surrounding neighbourhood - SFU / Central City Mall/Office Tower, and now Condos.

Last edited by Shift; Mar 14, 2017 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 11:53 PM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
I feel like they should've given every station at least 4, and sacrificed one of the wide ones if it meant fitting 2 regular gates..
Remember the folks who said the faregates as-is were not designed for the disabled? Remember how none of them were actually disabled and those who were were either not complaining or didn't take transit anyways?

TransLaink's offices would be raided by yuppies with torches and pitchforks if they did that.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 3:36 AM

Nothing like trying to commute out of Downtown on a weekday morning and they haven't set a one way in-gate at Granville.

For some reason the days they don't set it I happen to arrive just as a train has unloaded and passing through.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrizzy View Post
The number of faregates at the Canada Line stations do seem unexplainably low.. Langara with 3 ?? Only 5 at Broadway ? That dumb gap in the middle of the gates at VCC ? Waterfront with 1 into the platform and 2 out of it ?

Canada Line stations were designed with fare gates in mind, probably based on original (low) passenger estimates

Old Posted Mar 15, 2017, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post
Nothing like trying to commute out of Downtown on a weekday morning and they haven't set a one way in-gate at Granville.

For some reason the days they don't set it I happen to arrive just as a train has unloaded and passing through.
Edmonds tends to have half of the gates as one way out-gates but there are no one way in-gates. The problem is most people transferring to the bus use the two way gates, so you're stuck waiting for them to clear while most of the one way out-gates aren't being used.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 2:45 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:41 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 7:03 AM

That bus exchange at brighouse is looking like it's taking shape. Would've taken a picture but it was too dark when I came home today.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 7:48 AM

By Yellow Fever taken March 9th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrizzy View Post

Side note: I watched somewhat walk right up to one of the wide gates at Surrey Central and push his way through with relatively little effort.. They a lot easier to open, as well as follow someone through, than the smaller gates.
The scumbags figured that out on day 1 of compass operations. Saw someone do that at Moody Centre station. Which is weird cuz Port Moody is a relatively well to do city. Who can't afford transit there.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 4:02 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
An interesting aside, Amazon recently put their first "locker" in Canada in New West. The basically let people have their stuff delivered faster to a central location where they can enter a pin to pick it up, pretty convenient depending on your situation and what you are ordering... Would be cool to see these at Skytrain stations in the future, a good way to draw more people in.
I saw that reddit post as well (and posted in the comments), but from searching around for other Amazon locker locations, I see that there is at least one in Burnaby, one in Surrey in Guildford Town Centre, and a second one in New West (though the one in the picture in question doesn't appear to be in service yet).

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 9:01 AM

i really wish, for these renovations, they had left everything the same and just added on using the same architecture. it would have been so cheap, it was all prefab and identical across the system; it is like lego.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:26 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
i really wish, for these renovations, they had left everything the same and just added on using the same architecture. it would have been so cheap, it was all prefab and identical across the system; it is like lego.
The complaint was that it looked dated. That part is subjective but yes, when you run into stations where you are seeing in some cases three different eras of designs (space frame, curves and sharp edged) thought up by different firms it starts to look really ugly. Those unused foundations and rough-ins from the original station plans to expand will never go away.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:36 AM

The Compass thread is closed, so I guess this is the next best place: TransLink has selected a company to do a pilot of proximity-based accessible gates in 3 SkyTrain stations, with the option of extending to all SkyTrain, Canada Line, and SeaBus stations if the pilot is successful. Notice of Intent was just posted recently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure