HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 11:16 PM

Hello All,

The new concourse D midpoint expansion is scheduled to open. Here some pics:

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 12:09 AM
Back on the road again

That's great news! I hadn't even heard of that project. HJAIA's impact on this metro and region simply cannot be overstated.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 2:59 PM

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 6:31 AM

Airbus A380 arrival in Atlanta Sept 1

Will anyone be trying to spot the Korean Airlines A380 that comes to Atlanta on Sept 1. I believe it will be the Korean flight that arrives in the morning. Can anyone confirm. I know if winds are from the east College Park train station will have the best view.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 8:32 PM
Back on the road again

just found this video on youtube of the first ever A380 take off from Hartsfield-Jackson.

First Ever A380 take-off from Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
just found this video on youtube of the first ever A380 take off from Hartsfield-Jackson.

WOW! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post

Hey! Thanks for sharing! I appreciate that. They're great!!!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:19 AM

This is a strong testament of our ties to Asia, Korea in particular. No other city between D.C. and Texas in this huge region has nonstop flights to Tokyo, let alone Seoul. This is why Delta runs 747's to Tokyo daily, and now Korean is mixing the A-380 with 777's.

The ties between ATL and Korea just keep getting stronger, and it benefits the entire Southeast - including Florida. The ties to Japan were established years ago, with over 500 Japanese companies having a presence in Georgia.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
This is a strong testament of our ties to Asia, Korea in particular. No other city between D.C. and Texas in this huge region has nonstop flights to Tokyo, let alone Seoul. This is why Delta runs 747's to Tokyo daily, and now Korean is mixing the A-380 with 777's.

The ties between ATL and Korea just keep getting stronger, and it benefits the entire Southeast - including Florida. The ties to Japan were established years ago, with over 500 Japanese companies having a presence in Georgia.
I don't know how AA makes 2X daily service to NRT out of DFW work considering there's also 1X daily service on UA out of IAH and AA is bleeding money like crazy on practically all its transpacific routes. They just cut their ORD-NRT service to 5X weekly while NH is now doing 2X daily and UA just upgauged their service to 744 from 777. And despite Texas' strong business ties to East Asia, Texas' Japanese population numbers roughly 17K. I'd wager there's twice that number in the Southeastern states served by ATL alone.

I'm also still trying to figure out how AA is making DFW-ICN work when KE doesn't even fly daily out of DFW (just 5X weekly). DFW is a poor connecting point to Asia for anyone outside Texas or Louisiana.

We should count our blessings: ATL-ICN is by far the biggest transpacific route out of the Southern US, and is probably the only route that can maintain daily service on O&D alone if it came down to that. I'd like to also see 2X daily service brought back on the ATL-NRT route. That used to be the frequency a few years ago, but it seems that ICN is the favored connecting point to the rest of Asia via Skyteam partner KE.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I don't know how AA makes 2X daily service to NRT out of DFW work considering there's also 1X daily service on UA out of IAH and AA is bleeding money like crazy on practically all its transpacific routes. They just cut their ORD-NRT service to 5X weekly while NH is now doing 2X daily and UA just upgauged their service to 744 from 777. And despite Texas' strong business ties to East Asia, Texas' Japanese population numbers roughly 17K. I'd wager there's twice that number in the Southeastern states served by ATL alone.
You know Rail, I would not be surprised if a portion of that traffic on AA from Dallas is the extremely loyal base of Miami flyers. I think the rest of Florida probably transits through here. I'm frankly shocked at how small the Japanese population of TX is, though. The Japanese Consulate of Atlanta estimated the population here as high as 10,000 in the Metro alone way back in 1990! I can't find current numbers, but I suspect they would at least be double that or more now. And you are right as far as AA bleeding $$ on their Asian routes - it's sad, but it is by far their weakest spot.

Quote:
I'm also still trying to figure out how AA is making DFW-ICN work when KE doesn't even fly daily out of DFW (just 5X weekly). DFW is a poor connecting point to Asia for anyone outside Texas or Louisiana.
It has to be the fantastic economy in the DFW area - what else can explain this?

Quote:
We should count our blessings: ATL-ICN is by far the biggest transpacific route out of the Southern US, and is probably the only route that can maintain daily service on O&D alone if it came down to that. I'd like to also see 2X daily service brought back on the ATL-NRT route. That used to be the frequency a few years ago, but it seems that ICN is the favored connecting point to the rest of Asia via Skyteam partner KE.
Yeah, I agree. But, as someone that sends people all over the world every day, many of my clients very much prefer transiting through ICN far, far more than they do NRT lately. It's one of the nicest hubs in the world, and I honestly believe NRT is going to slowly be downsized by Delta. Especially combined with the buildup of Seattle as the new trans-Pacific West Coast hub, and the new aircraft order announced this week. It will never go away, but it will be shrinking. Flights into HND won't help matters.

You continue to amaze me with your knowledge of the business!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
I'm frankly shocked at how small the Japanese population of TX is, though. The Japanese Consulate of Atlanta estimated the population here as high as 10,000 in the Metro alone way back in 1990! I can't find current numbers, but I suspect they would at least be double that or more now. And you are right as far as AA bleeding $$ on their Asian routes - it's sad, but it is by far their weakest spot.
Texas has a large Asian population, but it's disproportionately Chinese and Vietnamese. Last I checked, in the 90's, the Japanese population in the state of Georgia was around 7000. It's probably above 10K now, but there hasn't been much emigration to the US from Japan in recent decades, even with all the corporate investments nationwide. The NRT flight is easily supported via connections from other Southeastern states, and especially Florida (Orlando in particular).

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. But, as someone that sends people all over the world every day, many of my clients very much prefer transiting through ICN far, far more than they do NRT lately. It's one of the nicest hubs in the world, and I honestly believe NRT is going to slowly be downsized by Delta. Especially combined with the buildup of Seattle as the new trans-Pacific West Coast hub, and the new aircraft order announced this week. It will never go away, but it will be shrinking. Flights into HND won't help matters.
Expect more slots at more times to open at HND in the next few years. They're already adding another pier to the new international terminal and plans are in the works for a 5th runway. Whether ATL gets HND service in the next few years is anyone's guess, but I'd expect UA to get favorable treatment with the next awarding of slots. That means service to SFO and ORD. If DL gets another slot, they may very well try ATL for at least a year. If not ATL, then JFK is the obvious choice. I don't think AA is doing too well with their seasonal HND service out of there, but DL could definitely make it work.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Texas has a large Asian population, but it's disproportionately Chinese and Vietnamese. Last I checked, in the 90's, the Japanese population in the state of Georgia was around 7000. It's probably above 10K now, but there hasn't been much emigration to the US from Japan in recent decades, even with all the corporate investments nationwide. The NRT flight is easily supported via connections from other Southeastern states, and especially Florida (Orlando in particular).
Yeah, I was going by this - granted, it is from Wiki, but I do trust the Japanese Consulate:

In 1990 Greater Atlanta had the largest Japanese population in the Southeast United States. The Consulate General of Japan in Atlanta estimated that, during that year, 7,500 to 10,000 Japanese lived in Greater Atlanta. Of the metropolitan areas in the Southeast United States, as of 1990 Greater Atlanta had the most extensive education network for Japanese nationals.

Quote:
Expect more slots at more times to open at HND in the next few years. They're already adding another pier to the new international terminal and plans are in the works for a 5th runway. Whether ATL gets HND service in the next few years is anyone's guess, but I'd expect UA to get favorable treatment with the next awarding of slots. That means service to SFO and ORD. If DL gets another slot, they may very well try ATL for at least a year. If not ATL, then JFK is the obvious choice. I don't think AA is doing too well with their seasonal HND service out of there, but DL could definitely make it work.
I really don't expect ATL to get HND service, but it would be fantastic!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 1:49 PM

Just last week I transited through Seoul on Thai Air on the way to and from Bangkok - very effortless and efficient at Seoul. A business colleague at the same meeting in BK went though NRT on Delta and was not so lucky - Delta canceled connecting flight to NRT and he wound up going back on same plane as I took on Thai through Seoul. Seoul airport is very modern and easy to use. Looking forward to trying the 380 to Seoul.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 5:28 AM

Unfortunately, there will be no A380 in ATL anymore. They have adjusted the schedule. They swap from A380 to 772ER aircraft. Due to low demand.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/09/02/ke-atljfk-sep13/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Unfortunately, there will be no A380 in ATL anymore. They have adjusted the schedule. They swap from A380 to 772ER aircraft. Due to low demand.

Sorry, but no. This is for a 10 day period only, and your post is very misleading. Read the link that you posted again, and it is very clear.

There is no demand as high in the entire Southeastern U.S. to anywhere in Asia as there is daily to Seoul to and from Atlanta. This is the home of the fastest growing Korean community in the country. The ties are strong, and only getting stronger.

Trust me when I tell you that Korean Air is a very smart Airline, and they are adjusting for capacity demands for a certain period. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but no. This is for a 10 day period only, and your post is very misleading. Read the link that you posted again, and it is very clear.

There is no demand as high in the entire Southeastern U.S. to anywhere in Asia as there is daily to Seoul to and from Atlanta. This is the home of the fastest growing Korean community in the country. The ties are strong, and only getting stronger.

Trust me when I tell you that Korean Air is a very smart Airline, and they are adjusting for capacity demands for a certain period. Nothing more, nothing less.
Isn't AF supposed to start CDG-ATL A380 service soon?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post

No this was just a temporary move, the A380 goes daily from Atlanta in October. Also the 777-300 landed in Atlanta just today on Sept. 22.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Rail, I have to admit I haven't heard anything about this.

I know during the Summer Delta & Air France were running 3 daily flights between them ( 2 DL/ 1 AF), but now we're back to two - one on each. I'm not sure if the demand is there or not. I do know that the loads are always high.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Actually, ATL would be likely to see a Lufthansa A380 fly in before Air France... but eventually BOTH will join Korean Air with the fatboy service.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
Actually, ATL would be likely to see a Lufthansa A380 fly in before Air France... but eventually BOTH will join Korean Air with the fatboy service.
Does anyone know the Lufthansa's Atlanta to Frankfurt load factor numbers. Would A380 be feasible and profitable for Lufthansa to use.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta