HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
I'm going to miss driving by Cars Dawydiak. I very much enjoy glancing at the classic Porches, Ferrari's and other occasional classic or exotic sports cars each time I pass by. I call it the "Toy Store" of cars to my family. They also sell the cute Vespa's there. I sure hope that the building that is going to replace it is going to be worth it.
There are a number of suitable--and landmarked--buildings on Van Ness to which they could move: The long-vacant former Honda dealership at Eddy & Van Ness, the not-as-long vacant Mercedes dealership at O'Farrell & Van Ness and now, I understand, the Chevrolet dealership on Van Ness.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
...I understand, the Chevrolet dealership on Van Ness.
Really? Where are they moving? Or is it simply a closure?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 8:13 PM
BANNED

Maybe I read it wrong--they aren't closing BUT:

Quote:
Ellis Brooks Chevrolet dumping GM line
Andrew S. Ross
Friday, November 21, 2008

Not only does San Francisco's Chrysler Jeep dealership close, now you can't buy a new Chevy from Ellis Brooks Chevrolet on Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco's Auto Row. If you haven't heard, Ellis Brooks said last week that it won't be selling any more new GM vehicles after Dec. 15. If you want a used one, however, you'll still be in luck. And they'll still do some leasing.

But Ellis Brooks, which started out as a used car dealer in 1939, may not be gone forever. General Manager John Brooks said he hopes to get back into the new-car business some time next year. But it wouldn't be with GM, whose management he has some choice words for. CEO Rick Waggoner "needs to be removed. He's destroying America's greatest company." In its next iteration, said Brooks, grandson of the company's founder, Ellis, the dealership will sell imports.

Some of the dealership's woes reflected the bad economic times. Brooks said business was down 60 to 70 percent this year. On the bright side, Brooks has said he would make every effort to move the showroom's remaining new-car inventory at "very attractive prices to clear our floors." And Christmas is right around the corner. "No reasonable offer will be refused," Brooks said.
Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 8:33 PM

Thanks, missed that article. Sounds like maybe the place will still be a car dealership, but just sell Hyundais or something else not yet sold on Van Ness.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2008, 10:24 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Here's the rendering for the proposal at the Cars Dawydiak site, if you haven't already seen it:

source: SocketSite

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 2:58 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Did anyone notice they took the wraps of 120 Montgomery? We can now see the new skin:

They're still working around the bottom floors:

A closer look:

There's one strip where you can still see the old marble. They've basically added a newer version of the same material that's a little lighter in color:

I think it looks pretty nice (holding judgement on the bottom until it's done). Basically they've restored it to its original state.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 7:33 AM

I think 120 Montgomery looks pretty wonderful. I work around the corner and when I first caught sight of it with the scaffolding down it stopped me in my tracks. The reflectivity of whatever polished stone they chose for the exterior is really gorgeous. It changes over the course of the day, so it always gives a different impression. One of my favorites in the area.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 12:06 AM

Looks like a very nicely done renovation for 120 Montgomery. Does anyone have any before photos they can post for comparison?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 7:05 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
I agree. I don't support the building being preserved as historical, but it is certainly being put to good use now. In a perfect world some of the vacant or underused buildings on Bush between Franklin and Van Ness (right around the corner) would be redeveloped first.
I also agree. Cars Dawydiak in the present building creates an interesting and charming corner that the new building will most likely diminish.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 1:51 AM
testify

ah damn, i love the cars dawydiak building. luckily this one is unlikely to proceed in the short to medium term.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 3:28 AM
Only Mostly Dead

One Kearny yesterday. They sure are moving slowly on the facade.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:11 PM

Thanks for the update. How is the Millenium lobby/streetscape coming along? Saw that they Gavins turning the shovel today on the temp. Transbay Terminal.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
One Kearny yesterday. They sure are moving slowly on the facade.
They may be buying one fake brick at a time--as/when HSBC finds some cash under the sofa cushions.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 4:41 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin' in the city View Post
Thanks for the update. How is the Millenium lobby/streetscape coming along? Saw that they Gavins turning the shovel today on the temp. Transbay Terminal.
That seems to be moving slowly as well, but I think they're just doing a lot of interior work and other things that aren't visible to a casual observer like me. I did notice they filled the last gaps between the building and the sidewalk along Mission. Last I checked, the auto entrance on Fremont was making progress. And I see lots of workmen inside the first floor, but I can't really tell exactly what they're doing. I'll try to make a point of going by there at lunch soon so I can take a little more time to check it out. I mostly just walk by on the way to and from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
They may be buying one fake brick at a time--as/when HSBC finds some cash under the sofa cushions.
LOL!!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 3:11 AM

(edit)

Last edited by SFView; Dec 14, 2008 at 3:17 AM. Reason: duplicate of post on Transbay thread removed from here.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 5:34 AM
urbanphile

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 4:38 PM

The plaza at 555 Mission was open this morning - fences all down.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 8:40 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^ I posted some photos of that from last week in the 555 Mission thread.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 1:06 AM
Show me the blueprints

120 Montgomery looks great. This is a sharp building. SF should be proud of such a quality re-skin project.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 10:00 PM

3575 Geary

Hi guys. I've been trying to take a photo of the new construction in the Richmond of the Institute on Aging Senior Campus, but it hasn't quite worked out with my schedule. I went to the website just now and found this:

Image from earthcam.net.

Pretty cool, huh? I know it's not a big project, but at least it's a project. It will also be nice to see more density in the Richmond.

They even have a video posted on youtube detailing the design. They don't start talking about the new campus until about 4:50.

Hope all is well with the regular posters. Happy Holidays!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations