HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 8:18 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^You do that . I have to rebuild 2WTC, including the ground floors. Gonna take my time since I get burned out quickly doing the same #### twice.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 4:26 PM
Ex Houstonian

This is amazing!!!!!!!! Where did you get the other buildings that comprise NYC? You didnt model all of those did you? Im guessing they are just from google 3d warehouse.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 11:01 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Nope. It's a single set that you can purchase. It's insanely large, weighing in at about 17GB for the model and all the textures.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 5:06 AM

How much did it cost?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 3:54 PM
Closed account

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing too.

It was probably costly. also if this question wasn't already asked, but how long does it take you to do one full render?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 12:40 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Depends on how much of the city is visible. The render itself takes 15-25 minutes, but when there's a lot of the city visible, the renderer has to load and unload all the textures, so it can take 45 minutes to an hour to do one of those shots from the WTC observatory looking north at the whole city.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 10:14 AM
Because I'm Clever!

It didn't make it into the rest of the renders (shown in the first one here), but I finalized the darker glass that's to be used in the notches. It's darker, with a slightly bluer reflection, than what I was using before. This is a roughly 90% rebuild of the previous model. Although I had a few renders with very specific views in there, the crown really wasn't set up for internal viewing, as I originally intended to do exteriors only. It's now much improved, with a fairly accurate core, pax elevators. I still have the lobby and ground areas to do. 3 World Trade Center was a pretty good preview for how well that will be finished.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 3:05 AM
Because I'm Clever!

So...the service pack for 3DS Max borked my Manhattan hack. It's now CTD every time I try to render. If and when I get over that problem, I've got something very special for y'all to enjoy. By special, I mean something vastly more interesting than what I've shown here thus far, and is almost as good as sitting you in front of my PC and giving you a tour.

On the off chance I can't get it working...well sucks to be you. I got a copy of Civ 5 for X-Mas (I can enjoy it now that I'm out of school rather than risking expulsion for blowing things off for days or weeks at a time) and got just enough room to install it. So I'm golden.

EDIT: Got it working. Something got corrupted in the file. Still not sure what, but importing everything into a new file and using that has eliminated the problem.

Last edited by STR; Dec 30, 2010 at 6:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 6:46 AM
Because I'm Clever!

So...here's the new stuff: 360x360 degree pannable panoramas. I've also been messing with the lighting system in order to make everything look right. After a lot of trial and error, mostly turning down the sun by ~50%, the metro NY model no longer looks hella washed out. It looks a lot more like it was supposed to look.

A few notes on the panos. The only format I can find that supports this in a simple way is Quicktime VR. Other alternatives either would have cost me, or you money to view. While I generally hate Apple for a lot of philosophical reasons, they're the only game in town. No other player will view these correctly (though WMP, in a somewhat cool way, will quickly frame through the component renders in 1/4 of a second) so you gotta have Quicktime.

Make sure to view them in full-screen.

Anyway...
1 World Trade Center, 102nd floor. The future Skyline Restaurant.
http://www.mediafire.com/?q36l95v8bul3b8s

West and Liberty Sts.
http://www.mediafire.com/?8wli6i7xny1gcwr

Greenwich and Fulton Sts. NOTE: While troubleshooting my aforementioned crashing problem, I didn't transfer one of the materials that make up the outside of Tower 2. The large squares that look flat black should instead be dark, but reflective. This would apply to the West St. render too. I'll post something later with the fixed material.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dcrx8mi533tlm9o

Last edited by STR; Dec 31, 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 6:54 AM

This is spectacular work!

BTW, isn't there another tall building planned a little north of ground zero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Can't believe I missed Verre you can barely see it in most of them. I imagine you only have a rough sketch of Verre, but do you plan on posting some with C57 and Verre?
Part of this is probably because it's height was cut.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 7:01 AM
Because I'm Clever!

99 Church, also by Silverstein Properties. It's on my to-do list. My main goal is to finish the WTC site. I'm doing the memorial itself next.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 1:22 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Beginnings of memorial, streets and the rest of the ground areas. That should be about it for 2010.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 2:12 AM
World Machine

Are you planning to do the underground portion as well?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 6:22 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Looks like 3 is going to be the show stealer for New Yorkers. The perspective from the Hudson and NJ is always sexy, but this is the angle I'll see the WTC from the most. And having the minimalism of 4 right next to 3 is going to be pretty powerful, especially as those towers are the ones that negotiate the visual transition to the older skyline.

Also, your renderings confirm that 15 Penn is an ugly mother, regardless of view loss.

Great work on the renders man! You've got the glazing down perfectly.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 7:12 PM

I'd love to see a comparison of 4wtc and first Canadian place in Toronto, there is just a 1 meter difference in height, so it will be a good way for people to visualize the size of the tower........ especially for Torontonians!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 5:23 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Are you planning to do the underground portion as well?
Meh. No idea. The parts are there for that kind of extension, but that's a lot of extra work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I'd love to see a comparison of 4wtc and first Canadian place in Toronto, there is just a 1 meter difference in height, so it will be a good way for people to visualize the size of the tower........ especially for Torontonians!
FCP d/led from 3D warehouse, made by some dude calling himself wyliepoon.

My favorite angle of 4 World Trade Center. The proportions just seem right.

Top of 3 World Trade Center. Some of the beams are best-guesses, but they seem to match everything. Naturally, the open floors will be filled with the building's cooling plant when completed.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 4:52 PM

STR: Thank you for making everything that much more visible! My imagination can only do so much, and thanks to your renders I can really begin to appreciate what is going to appear in down town. This page has become an everyday checkin to see whats next. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 10:08 PM

thanks, mind if i post in a thread in the toronto subsection over on ssc??

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 11:25 PM

Hi STR i read in a post you made that you hacked your 3d studio max to be able to read this big model... right know i have 8GB ram and i have my owne city model but right now i have big problems to load him in max because i dont have enought memory to be able to load the full model... can you give me a help to fix it ? thank you

Old Posted Jan 4, 2011, 11:09 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
thanks, mind if i post in a thread in the toronto subsection over on ssc??
Like I said in the OP, so long as you leave a link so I can follow the discussion, you're free to repost.

Test shots of the tweaked lighting. I still don't have it down 100%, but it's getting there. Main thing is that the background buildings have stopped being a visual distraction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art