HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 23, 2006, 4:10 PM

interesting proposal and design dave and the location is perfect. However it is true that Tibor Hollo takes forever to build his projects. The height at 1180 feet is remarkable but let's see if it can get FAA aprroval first.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 1:13 PM

The city updated the development spreadsheet for the first time in a while and they provided some details on "Columbus Centre" for 1492 South Miami Ave:

Height: 56 stories, 710 feet
Use: Mixed-Use: 219 condos, 234 hotel rooms, 211,449 sqft of office space, 6512 sqft of retail. 348 parking spaces.

http://www.miamigov.com/Planning/pag...geScaleDev.asp

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 4:38 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I don't know if you guys have been watching Dexter on Showtime or not, but they have some cool skyline shots and recent city shots with some of the new and under construction buildings in the background. If you haven't had a chance to check it out, it's worth a look.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 24, 2006, 11:51 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
I don't know if you guys have been watching Dexter on Showtime or not, but they have some cool skyline shots and recent city shots with some of the new and under construction buildings in the background. If you haven't had a chance to check it out, it's worth a look.
Maybe the added exposure will help reignite the construction boom along with this year's relatively mild hurricane season, so that many of us will actually see many of the projects we want to see rise up out of the ground. With so many projects dying before the first piling is drilled, I don't get that excited anymore by what's planned, proposed, or approved. Show me a construction site with a crane on it! At this point, I'm waiting to see what the 2007 World Almanac lists as tall buildings under construction for Miami, since that list has to stand for a whole year. Steve

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Oct 25, 2006 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:31 AM

its so funny to look at this list of builidng!! so many of these condos have been canceled.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:35 AM

Villa Magna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpolom
I hope Villa Magna never gets built. I think they are two ugly towers that do not deserve that prime location.
I bet Villa Magna never gets built. sales of the first tower have stalled.. no one is buying pre-construction anymore.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:40 AM

this Loft3 is such a shame. the same floor plans kitchens and bathrooms are found in Loft1. units at Loft1 are sitting on the market unsold at prices lower than Loft3. it is a real shame that Related Group is taking advantage of people who just dont know any better.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2006, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell
I'd take it.
i'd take it too

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 5:38 PM

I'm hearing precisely the opposite on Villa Magna - that it's very much a go. And remember, Hollo always takes his precious time. And he's got even bigger plans for the future.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 12:41 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
I'm hearing precisely the opposite on Villa Magna - that it's very much a go. And remember, Hollo always takes his precious time. And he's got even bigger plans for the future.

And with Capital I & II, Infinity II, and Met2 and Met3 scheduled to start construction soon, you should be very happy with your end of the skyline. Then, one supertall would almost assure us the 3rd most dynamic skyline in the country. I'm not as happy with the north end of the skyline, but at least we have buildings under construction north of I-395 (MacArthur Causeway) that are over 500 feet tall in Opera Tower and Quantum, something I've dreamed about, but never thought would actually happen until the last 2 years. They make for a stunning vista silhouetted at sunset as you leave Miami Beach coming out of the cloverleaf from taking Alton Road south onto the Julia Tuttle Causeway (I-195).

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Oct 27, 2006 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 3:15 PM

That's all good, but I would love to see just one of the supertalls that was planned for Edgewater come to fruition. First choice PLATINUM ON THE BAY, second choice ELEMENT, third ONYX2. It seems that everyone has just forgotten about the promise of dynamism in Edgewater. All of a sudden they are all 30 stories and BLUE. Will Soleil break through the ceiling? This would really set up the skyline to reach powerfully from KUBIK all the way down to Key Biscayne

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 3:56 PM

Except that Capital II is in doubt.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch photographer
That's all good, but I would love to see just one of the supertalls that was planned for Edgewater come to fruition. First choice PLATINUM ON THE BAY, second choice ELEMENT, third ONYX2. It seems that everyone has just forgotten about the promise of dynamism in Edgewater. All of a sudden they are all 30 stories and BLUE. Will Soleil break through the ceiling? This would really set up the skyline to reach powerfully from KUBIK all the way down to Key Biscayne
Yep, that's what chafed me. So many of the truly distinctive designs have been cancelled, possibly a greater percentage than any other major city.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 5:51 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

But Dale, no other major city in the country ever had as much on the drawing board at one time. It is truly history making even with what is already under construction. Maybe converting Capital II into an office tower will work. The more powerful developers are looking at the long-term investment rather than an immediate return. And Arch, if I may correct you, a supertall is any building over 1,000 feet tall, and since Edgewater is directly in line with MIA runways, nothing can be built there over 600 feet tall according to the FAA and MIA, but Platinum on the Bay, Soleil, Onyx2, and Element would have made one hell of a skyline spread for Miami.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 6:00 PM

Oh, Miami's on fire, to be sure! My complaint is very specific: for the most part, it is the elegant but bland styles that are going ahead, and the truly distinctive designs that are not. Platinum on the Bay, Onyx II, Premeire Towers, ICE ... dead.

Now, certainly there are exceptions. The Jade twins are certainly distinctive.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 8:00 PM

At least from what I heard from Rx over at ssc, Element may return from the dead. It was purchased by another developer and they filed construction permits. Whether they actually think it will be profitable and go through with it would be another story.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 11:09 PM
Atlantis Rises Again!

The 3rd Element

Thanks for the scoop on Element, Dave. There is no site in Miami that I more want to see developed. That and then the Villa Magna site. This will be the 3rd incarnation of a development project for the Element site, if I'm counting correctly. The property has GREAT POTENTIAL with it's location. I drive by there all the time! I'd hop on developing it in a heartbeat! "IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME! IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!"

Dale, where are you getting your information on Capital II? I remember you being more optimistic. This may be the end of the high-rise condo "boom," but it's only the beginning of new skyscraper construction in Miami. ATLANTIS RISES AGAIN!!! Steve

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Oct 27, 2006 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 12:19 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Awesome list!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 12:25 AM
Atlantis Rises Again!

Miami's New Skyline

Miami's skyline will top San Francisco's in less than 5 years and beat number 3 Houston in little more than that! Regardless of what the market is doing, the more powerful developers still have a keen interest in making their mark on the skyline of the "new" Miami with the momentum created by the high-rise condo boom. Once the new skyline takes more shape, other developers will have a better idea of what they want to do with it.

Last edited by NewAtlantisMiami; Oct 28, 2006 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAtlantisMiami
Thanks for the scoop on Element, Dave. There is no site in Miami that I more want to see developed. That and then the Villa Magna site. This will be the 3rd incarnation of a development project for the Element site, if I'm counting correctly. The property has GREAT POTENTIAL with it's location. I drive by there all the time! I'd hop on developing it in a heartbeat! "IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME! IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME!"

Dale, where are you getting your information on Capital II? I remember you being more optimistic. This may be the end of the high-rise condo "boom," but it's only the beginning of new skyscraper construction in Miami. ATLANTIS RISES AGAIN!!! Steve
New, there was a series of articles a little while back that explained that while I was going ahead, II had not sold enough to warrant construction and there was specualtion about reconfiguring II to include office space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations