HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
A portion of it is done. Which is Station Square. Three lanes EB with one been a metered parking space, then a protected bike lane and a sidewalk.

Hope link works. https://goo.gl/maps/gKvFW9se5Sh657Y68
Thank you, the link works. Well, it was rather as I had expected; The street is wide enough, but retains, for the moment, a very suburban character. Hopefully this may change, with time.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountain View Post
An underground mall with another level at street level, similar to the Pacific centre would be pretty good in my books.
Underground, above ground, so long as there's still an uninterrupted mall concourse in tandem with the streetfronts. Otherwise Metrotown goes from "unique destination" to "meh, same as the rest of the city."

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 3:56 PM

I'm a big fan of covered arcades that are fully accessible 24/7, yet protected from the elements. Basically a POPS that is more useful than another pocket park. Vancouver planners seem to have a very narrow view of what "European" street-oriented urbanism looks like.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Me for one.

The success of neighbourhoods (like Mt. Pleasant) revolves around active street life. The majority of people who live in the inner city enjoy shopping along Main Street, West 4th, Robson Street.
I love those areas too but they see nowhere near the volume of Metrotown. One could argue that this is due to Metrotown’s central location in the region but I think being the biggest, covered mall is the more important factor. Why they want to hurt their appeal and try to be something else, of which we already have plenty, isn’t wise in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I'm a big fan of covered arcades that are fully accessible 24/7, yet protected from the elements. Basically a POPS that is more useful than another pocket park. Vancouver planners seem to have a very narrow view of what "European" street-oriented urbanism looks like.
TBF other posters have expressed concern that they'll just become homeless camps, and they're not entirely wrong.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:55 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
The lease for Hudson's Bay doesn't end until 2086 so hopefully the master plan will be totally revised in 66 years.
that's wild. why would parties enter into an agreement that long?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
that's wild. why would parties enter into an agreement that long?
That likely includes options to renew.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
TBF other posters have expressed concern that they'll just become homeless camps, and they're not entirely wrong.
The mall security would prevent that.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
That likely includes options to renew.
That Hudson's Bay may end up getting redeveloped by them, they recently acquired a property development company and are looking into redeveloping their real estate across the world.

I'm not sure what's in the contract however with regards to redeveloping, and if the lease expires in 2086 it would be hard to sell strata with such a short leasehold. They could do rental, or pursue outright purchasing if that's an option.

They could also agree to modify the lease like they did at Oakridge.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhujb View Post
I am VERY curious if this imaginary street plan for the centre of Metrotown would ever materialize. The city's plan (which is below) is more grid-like, less curvy, and has a block dedicated to a park in the middle (like a Civic Park 2.0). In my opinion, city hall's plan is much much better. The grid makes it more like what you'd see in other downtowns, and makes navigation easier.

I remember seeing the original plans for the Concord Metrotown project (they were unreleased), and I noticed these plans had absolutely no regard for the street plan the City of Burnaby had originally planned. Needless to say, when I saw the plans when Concord publically released them several months later, they were completely different, and they fell entirely in line with that Burnaby had originally planned.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Underground, above ground, so long as there's still an uninterrupted mall concourse in tandem with the streetfronts. Otherwise Metrotown goes from "unique destination" to "meh, same as the rest of the city."
Exactly, great cities have a variety of urban forms. Making every neighborhood / destination / street the same form becomes very boring very fast.

It’s seems that Brentwood, Oakridge and possibly Lougheed have found a good mix of keeping indoor shopping and layered urban aspects (pedestrian overpassed / underground transit connections etc...) with open air / public spaces. The area around New Westminster is another interesting example of a unique and functional urban space. If everyone only wanted to shop along Robson Street then Pacific Centre and Metrotown wouldn’t be as popular as they are.

Again, I am not against adding a few through streets and redeveloping all the surface parking lots into street level retail with towers. But this really does feel like sacrificing the Goose that laid the golden egg to remove the mall completely (or only retain a tiny sliver with no direct mall like connections between at least a few tower podiums and of course the train station itself).

Don’t know why we can’t have both areas like Robson Street and Strathcona while also having areas such as Metrotown Mall in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
The mall security would prevent that.
If such arcades are private property and not public streets they could work, but if public absolutely not with our current culture.

Arcades work really well in Japan because there isn’t a major homeless problem and the majority of homeless that do exist here still have a good level of civic respect (they don’t throw garbage everywhere or destroy bathrooms, therefore allowing public bathrooms to exist) and and aren’t doing drugs openly or harassing people for money.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:53 AM

y'all do realize most of us will be dead before this comes to completion

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhujb View Post
Wow the density! Amazing that it'll be transformed this way. How tall are these approximately? They look so much taller than the existing condo buildings surrounding the zone.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:11 AM

Maybe they should just let Concord run point on this whole mall/downtown core redevelopment deal.
Some of the concepts they're showing for their Concord Quantum Park project at the Molson Brewery site in the Armoury district in Downtown seem to address or at least intersect with some of the issues that people are pointing out here, while creating a vision for the sort of indoor/outdoor space that would work well as the artery for an open mall still allowing traffic through even while the rest of the mall retail units and components are closed after business hours, while also simultaneously providing some level of weather protection which is a big draw of the current mall.

Source :
https://www.urbanyvr.com/molson-brew...ncord-concept/

Of course, it's important to note that that's a project being conceived and built from scratch and from the ground up, and not a redevelopment of a (mostly) existing structure as this would be, while still allowing for some function to carry on throughout the development process.
They have infinitely more flexibility to do what they want there.
(Although, I'll bet you that glazed vortex roof structure will be value engineered to death by the time they actually get to break ground. See : The ever-changing and once 'swoopy' similar glazed grande entrance canopy gate structure of Quadreal's Oakridge mall redevelopment project)

Of course, it behooves mentioning that all this would necessitate Ivanhoe Cambridge and Concord Pacific playing nice, ....or at least nicer than they've done with each other so far and working together to get it done.

Also worth noting that outside of completely closing down the entire structure to the public at night or after business-hours (which would of course defeat the entire purpose of breaking up the mall that people are clamouring for), the homelessness worry/potential camping problem will still remain and possibly even be exacerbated by the introduction of such a structure.

I think it's more of a larger structural societal issue than can be readily addressed by any solution that Ivanhoe Cambridge or even the City (and they've been trying) can deal with through such a redevelopment.

I am curious though, as to how they do manage to keep a lot of homeless folks from setting up underneath that pass-through covered thoroughfare at Station Square between the Restaurant row to the north and Central Blvd.
You almost never see homeless people sleeping underneath there despite the rain cover it clearly provides (they more frequently and prevalently congregate underneath the Skytrain guideways).

Or at the Bus loop next door for that matter (Transit Security would be the guess for that one)

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Same with the Broadway and Cambie Corridors and the Jericho Lands, but we're still going to keep arguing about those ones.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:18 AM

along Kingsway ....

This will indeed be "Downtown Burnaby" when finished. The land purchased for it is all to the south of Kingsway. This will preclude any sort of 'Kingsway Canyon' that might otherwise happen.
Personally, I think it's rather a shame, others may disagree. In any case, I hope that enough attention is given to style and design in order to make this a streetscape to appreciate.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:52 AM

There's that one - albeit condo - tower that was mentioned in the thread a while back on the Cactus Club site.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I have a resolve to outlive it so that I can shout it down as an old man.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2020, 12:41 AM

lol I know I want to see it all! but ugh it's so long. Lougheed is going to be so long too.

anything will be an improvement. Who knows what the future holds maybe new pandemics to deal with, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley