HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 2:31 PM

Continuing the thread

Sounds like a good plan! I'll also add items when I find them.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:15 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
This week: We have two new breweries to talk about and a new skyscraper proposal!

So... what would this thread be like if someone who lived in the area took-over the updates, sharing their own photographs? I'm guessing it would look similar to this. I took photographs while visiting another city, just three counties away, on business. I'm guessing it took only an hour or two? Remember: If you are interested in taking-over the weekly updates on this thread, you can't use photographs from the local newspaper. That is why you don't even see their publication's name posted here.

351 North Patterson:
An exciting new skyscraper proposal to follow! It appears as if this office/retail project could reach 12 floors and, according to someone at the WSTB Forum, it will have underground parking. An announcement is expected soon and that will allow us to confirm all of the details. The building will have office space for tech companies and retail fronting Bailey Park on Fourth Street. No rumors or details on any tenants, at this time.

Link Apartments Innovation Quarter:
Workers are already pouring columns and loading-bearing walls for the second floor.

by Matthew DuMont, on Flickr

Downtown Marriott Renovation:

Notice the scaffolding:

Downtown Embassy Suites Renovation:
A winter pop-up called Lavender & Honey Kitchen will open in the space, shown below. The bakery will offer coffee or tea, along with pastries and desserts.

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
The Chamber of Commerce will commission an economic development study for the properties surrounding the airport.

Courtyard by Marriott - Downtown:
The construction fence is up and workers have a demolition permit. They have also applied for a construction permit (foundation). This building could appear on our first post construction list in the next month or two?

500 West Fifth Street:
Winston Starts will open in early-February. Several tech companies have applied for space, including a few from out-of-state interested in moving to downtown Winston-Salem.

Notice the scaffolding:

411 West Fourth / Chamber Building:

The open area with trees, surrounded by yellow tape, is where an apartment and retail building will be constructed:

West End Station:

We don't see many updates on this massive apartment development:

Twin City Lofts Condominiums:

Extra Space Storage - Downtown with Retail:
Construction will start in Spring 2018 and completion is set for Fall 2019. This downtown project has 10,000 square feet of ground floor retail.

Quarry Park - Phase II:
The City may allow you to vote on $3 million in bonds to add a scenic train, circulating around the park, along with additional picnic areas.

Downtown Hampton Inn & Suites:

Creative Corridors:
The City is looking into allowing you to vote on $3.8 million in enhancements as part of this project. Tell your council person you support this.

The O'Hanlon:
Another project we don't see many updates on. Workers are renovating the historic building into modern office space for tech companies.

Mutts Whine and Bark:
A new 20,000 square foot indoor dog park and bar, with enough room indoors for dogs to run & exercise, is planned for downtown Winston-Salem. They also plan to have an outdoor space and medical records on dogs, so you can see if other dogs are up-to-date on shots.

Ambulatory Surgical Center:

The construction fence on the right side:

Bailey Business Center - Building 23-2: (Bailey Power Plant Complex)
Completion is set for next month. Alma Mexicana Restaurant appears to be almost completed. The string lighting is in place, above the Coal Pit. We are waiting on a brewery announcement.

A look at the arbor area, with stairs:

Main Entrance:

Service Entrance:

A look inside, through the windows: (CIC / Cambridge Innovation Center Turbine Hall)

I like the light fixtures in the main lobby:

Top Markets for Home Sales:
And the tech boom continues... The National Association of Realtors has forecast Winston-Salem to rank 37th in the nation in home sales in 2018. They also forecast Winston-Salem to see a 3.21% price increase. Winston-Salem is expected to out-perform several major fast growing metro areas in nation. Winston-Salem is expected to see a higher sales growth than Raleigh and a higher price growth than Charlotte, which is very impressive.

Hotel Indigo:
They have applied for a permit to add the stair tower and kitchen to the south facade of the building. Look for visible work on the south facade, soon!

New Brewery - Gypsy Road Brewing Company:
We have two new breweries to report on. One of these is Gypsy Road Brewing Company. Not many details at this time. This brewery is very early in the process. We do know they will renovate an old mid-century furniture store.

New Brewery - Incendiary Brewing Company:
Brandon Branscome is opening downtown Winston-Salem's newest brewery in Summer 2018. The name of the brewery will be Incendiary Brewing Company and the location is believed to be Bailey Power Plant, but I can't confirm that location.

An artist from the United Kingdom, who is known for "Dark Art," is illustrating the labels:

Credit: Incendiary Brewing Company

Credit: adrianbaxter_

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:46 AM
Fourth and Main

I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

Completion is likely 5-7 months from now? They are currently hiring for the hotel.

Credit: viantod

Credit: viantod

These photographs show work on the second floor of the building.

Rebar for loading-bearing concrete walls and columns on the second floor:

Credit: carlin_cas

Completed concrete columns for the second floor:

Credit: triadrepro

Workers removed the construction fence this week. This project is just a few weeks away from completion!

Credit: sidneyhunterdesignco

Credit: triadrepro

A look inside the nearly completed Alma Mexicana Restaurant in Bailey Power Plant:

Credit: theporchws

A look inside the nearly completed Alma Mexicana Restaurant in Bailey Power Plant:

Credit: theporchws

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:17 PM

Nice update. Looking forward to visiting the Bailey complex next time I'm home. Thanks for posting!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 6:37 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these weekly updates won't happen.

Tech companies, Cambridge Innovation Center, and retail/restaurant tenants are currently moving-in. Construction is almost completed on this project. Incendiary Brewing Company (rumored basement tenant) is currently in lease negotiations and would like to open in time for the Winston-Salem Cycling Classic.

I'm guessing the boardwalk is scheduled for the next phase, since they haven't started on it?

Credit: miked4words

Construction workers haven't started on the power plant's proposed boardwalk (the boardwalk will be constructed on these old railroad trestles):

Credit: svv.photography

Waiting for an announcement for this 1926 power plant complex building (Building 23-1):

Credit: seandavidson

Credit: seandavidson

Depot District:
Sadly, the historic industrial building planned for reuse as an Amtrack train station, in the Depot District, was destroyed by fire. The site of the structure destroyed by fire will now become a green/park area in the development.

Credit: sshoaf31

Old Town Club Golf Course:
Old Town Club, in Winston-Salem's historic Old Town neighborhood, was ranked the 76th best golf course in the world (37th best in the United States). Old Town Club and Pinehurst No. 2 are the only North Carolina courses on the list. Only five courses in the Southeast United States made the list. It's the latest of several national and international rankings for Old Town Club since the course was restored to it's original 1930s Perry Maxwell design in 2012.

Gallery Lofts II:
Workers are completing demolition at the site for a new apartment building. This was once a paper box factory, for the textile industry, and is over a century old! Since the building is only 1-storey, the developer is demolishing it for a new "taller" building with significantly more money-making apartment units. Still waiting for a rendering for this project.

Credit: jeremythorne

Active (in use) Norfolk Southern Rail Line:

Credit: Brandon Ore

You can see an advertisement for an old hardware store on the wall of the original paper box factory:

Credit: winston_360

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:02 AM
Fourth and Main

Hotel Indigo:
An update from Omega Construction on the hotel's progress. I want to thank them for the update! Workers are lifting more drywall into the Art Deco building and are preparing to start work on the South Facade.

This tin was hidden in the walls by the original construction workers in 1928:

Credit: Omega Construction

Do you have Prince Albert in a can? If so, you better let him out!

Hotel Floor:

Hotel Lobby - Bar & Restaurant (Adding another floor to the building):

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 6:15 AM
Fourth and Main

Happy New Year! We will start 2018 with new projects to follow!

Efird Block Restoration:
A Cleveland-based developer named Global X will restore 601, 609, and 615 North Liberty Street to their original appearance. They are currently acquiring the three buildings and securing historic tax credits. As you may know, we almost lost these three buildings to demolition for a rumored apartment & retail project in 2016. It's great news to see these three beautiful historic buildings will be restored and reused. The Efird Building, at 601 North Liberty, was built in 1925 as a grocery store with offices and apartments. It has multiple storefronts on two streets. The Early-Morris Building, at 609 North Liberty, was built in 1927 and was home to a furniture store by the same name for only two years, before the store moved to a new building on Fourth Street. A storm, in 1989, destroyed the roof and parapet of the Efird Building. It is very close to collapse, so this is a rescue effort by the developer. You can see the floors falling-in and the cracks in the facade. The roof is already compromised, with large holes.

This developer has worked on several projects in Cleveland, Ohio (their hometown) and a few other cities, such as New Orleans and Columbus (OH). This will be their first project in Winston-Salem.

You may know the 1925 Efird Building (601 North Liberty) as the building with the 7up ghost sign on the back:

Credit: Me

This is, by far, my favorite photographer in Winston-Salem. He photographed the Efird Building a few years ago. You can see in these photographs how beautiful this building is. He captured it well. As you can see, this Ohio developer is working on a rescue mission to save this building from collapse.

Credit: urbanmez

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:40 AM
Fourth and Main

Wachovia House Apartments:
The 1911 Wachovia Bank & Trust headquarters building will be converted to apartments & retail by JDL Castle Corporation. They have started the buying process and it appears as if some leases are being terminated? The completed project will be called Wachovia House. This building was Wachovia Bank's headquarters from 1911-1965, when Wachovia was the southeast's largest bank and the first bank in the southeast to reach $1 billion in assets. It is the oldest steel-framed skyscraper in North Carolina. No details, at this time, on how many apartments the building will have.

Credit: thewanderinggirlandherchucks

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:19 AM
Fourth and Main

I have a long list of new projects I'm posting individually, as you've seen. I thought I would take a break from the new projects and share a found photography update. Yes, there are more new projects to post! I'll post one of them in the update below, since I have so many to post. New projects are always in red. Completed projects are in blue.

Projects & Construction:

It's opening in possibly three weeks?

Alma Mexicana restaurant is completed and has a certificate of occupancy. They are currently hiring and will open in a few weeks:

Credit: almamexicanaws

The bar is framed:

Credit: canteen411

The deli counter is framed:

Credit: canteen411

Gallery Lofts II:

Wise Man Brewing is just up the ridge:

Credit: thatoneguydan

418 North Marshall Street:
The photographs for 418 North Marshall Street are from last month, so they are a few weeks old. Workers have tested the color-changing decorative exterior lighting, designed by Lambert A+I and famous local lighting designer Norman Coates. We also have our first interior views, thanks to the architect, Lambert A+I. Lambert did a great job with this project!

HammerHead always does quality work:

Credit: hammerhead_built

Credit: hammerhead_built

Testing the color-changing lights:

Credit: lambert_architecture

Before paint & carpet:

After paint & carpet:

Snow from last month:

Restrooms:

1794 Boys' School Restoration:
A rare update on the restoration of this 224 year-old building. The construction fence is down and exterior painting is completed. Completion is scheduled for this month.

Credit: oldsaleminc

575 North Liberty Development Site:
The Fishel Steel Building, at 534 North Main Street, was sold to the owner of the large site at 575 North Liberty Street. 575 North Liberty Street wraps-around 534 North Main; so buying 534 North Main and combining it with 575 North Liberty will create a square site, perfect for development. This appears to be someone assembling a site for a developer? An out-of-town agent worked on the sale. This is worth following, since it could be the next big development announcement.

From last week (It was blue and now it's beige):

Credit: vincerabil

Alternative Transportation:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway: (Winston-Salem's High Line)

Credit: brittanybutterworthphoto

Old Posted Jan 7, 2018, 6:27 AM
Fourth and Main

Stevens Center Renovation:

Terra-cotta repairs:

Credit: DWSP

Hotel Indigo:
These are three product samples of materials that will be used in the hotel.

The large panel is a LUMIGRAF opaque resin panel (Galaxy) that will be used in the hotel:

Credit: cherrypips_

Bunzl Building:
London-based Bunzl PLC., is seeking state and local incentives to consolidate all of their operations in North Carolina and Virginia into a new 166,000 square foot building in Winston-Salem's Alliance Science & Technology Park. All of the jobs will be relocated to Winston-Salem from three other cities in two states. The jobs pay up to $200,000. The company will use all of the space. Carolina Investment Properties will develop the building.

Credit: jenlynnbishop

Mixxer Makerspace:
A rare update on this makerspace project. With the closure of TechShop, a number of tech cities across the nation are working on similar makerspace projects right now.

Credit: Mixxer

Credit: Mixxer

An update on this downtown gourmet grocery store / restaurant and creative / tech company office building. Yes, it has swings!

Credit: _nishamary

Carolina Athletic Performance:
The owners of Torque fitness center will construct a 120,000 square foot indoor sports complex on a 22-acre site. The space is large enough for 8 basketball courts, 5 batting cages, a wrestling room, a 60-yard turf training field, training & rehabilitation, and a food court. Fuller Architecture is the architect and Landmark Builders is the general contractor. The project will break ground in March and can host everything from pickle ball tournaments to NCAA Division III tournaments. A number of cities have built these facilities, due to the tourists and money they attract, and this will be among the largest in the southeast. This facility is unique, since it will be privately built and owned. No incentives are involved in this project and it will pay all taxes.

Credit: Carolina Athletic Performance

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 5:03 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

You know you want to sit-back and enjoy a Winston-Salem update!
Video Link

Cyclocross Bicycle Course: Built
This project is now completed and hosting competitions. It's also open year-round to anyone interested in riding it. It's a rare "urban" cyclocross course, located in the Northwest Industrial District, surrounded by old industrial buildings and murals. Very awesome! There are breweries nearby, too. You can walk to Wise Man Brewing from this course.

Credit: 12thstatecycling

Winston-Salem - Best Work-Life Balance Cities:
What cities offer the best balance between work and play? Data on the 100 largest U.S. cities was analyzed across 10 metrics: concentration of entertainment establishments, bars and restaurants, housing costs, home values, average weeks worked, average hours worked, average commute times, unemployment rate, and labor force participation rate. The result... Winston-Salem is in the top-10 cities for best work-life balance!

Credit: Realtor Magazine

Credit: tobaccoroadpurveyors

Bailey Power Plant's Building 23-2 hasn't officially opened; so the city's skateboarding community is enjoying it, at present.

Credit: redvanclan

Maybe they should consider converting The Coal Pit into an urban skate park?

Credit: redvanclan

Credit: strongbysteph

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:19 PM
Fourth and Main

500 West Fifth Street:
Flow's corporate headquarters is moving into the building's upper floors this week. The renovation has created open space, added conference rooms, cafes, and multiple large screens, including a 110-inch projection screen. Workers are still renovating the lobby and lower floors, which will become a massive startup center, with a focus on younger entrepreneurs. Yes, a roughly 250,000 square foot startup accelerator. This space is designed for every stage of a startup, from inception to market-ready, and will include a funding source for the startups (to be announced) and mentors, with office space in the building, who will work with the startups and invest in the startups. It also has space for university students to learn about starting their own business. Several startups from other cities are moving their headquarters to this building next month, including startups from New York City, Boston, Charlotte and other parts of North Carolina. So, it's already attracting jobs from other cities and other states with no advertising of the space. Just word-of-mouth. All of the spaces opening for startups next month are filled, but they will have more available space, soon. Just wait on the construction, hiring, and signing the mentors. There is an application process to join, if you're interested in joining Winston Starts. This project is already a success story and it's still under construction!

... and the tech boom continues!

One of the construction workers shared an update! I would like to thank everyone who shares interior construction updates on adaptive-reuse projects!

Winston Starts (from a few days ago):

Credit: Carlos Sanchez

Winston Starts (from a few days ago):

Lobby Renovation:

Workers will update the lobby to give it a look that is both contemporary and open, to appeal to young professionals.

Removing 38 year-old plaster and light fixtures in the lobby:

Surprised to see plaster in a building constructed from 1978-1980. Notice the "1980" engraved into the stone wall in the elevator lobby, above. The building was completed in May 1980. It was designed in 1976 by California starchitect firm Welton Becket & Associates and the design was published in newspapers in February 1977.

The view of a pocket park and neighboring structures from the lobby:

I think they plan to renovate the building's pocket park as part of this project?

An older photograph from around September 2017, showing the Flow headquarters space and some of the nice views:

This is the building with unusual windows. It was designed during the 1970s Energy Crisis as an energy efficient building, angling the windows away from the sun and reducing glass on the sides with the most intense sunlight. Welton Becket was known for designing buildings like these in the Los Angeles area. This was an expensive show project for the life insurance company that built it (for their headquarters). It's notable for being the first "smart building" with computer controls on HVAC, emergency systems, security, and lighting, as examples. It was seen in publications around the world and much of what was introduced in this building is now standard in today's buildings.

Last edited by Matthew; Jan 11, 2018 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:27 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Steel frame for the "Ceiling Cloud" in the gourmet market and deli (retail tenant):

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Hotel Indigo:

A new "IHG Hotel Indigo" banner on the construction fence:

500 West Fifth Street:
Solarté Collections is relocating their corporate headquarters from Cary (Raleigh-Durham area) to this downtown Winston-Salem skyscraper. Not many details are available at this time. This 21-storey building will have 75 creative and tech companies when workers finish renovations.

It opens January 24.

Credit: innovationquarter

Credit: alovelylula

Several "local" beers from Winston-Salem breweries:

Inside one of the former power plant's smokestacks:

Credit: ethan_farmer17

The concrete structures at the bottom of this photograph are the same concrete structures seen in the two photographs above:

Credit: adrianscientia

Office furnishings have arrived:

The Ramkat:
Richard Emmett, Bryan Ledbetter, and Andy Tennille are opening a new downtown concert hall and arts center, called The Ramkat, in March. The venue, on Ninth Street next to Wise Man Brewing, will have a strong focus on live music from national touring acts. They will also have a few local bands and space for film, theatre, and dance, too. The venue is located in an area known today as The Produce District, but in the 1800s the neighborhood was called The Ramkat. The Ramkat Neighborhood was home to several saloons, bordellos and other businesses to serve workers at the many warehouses there.

Footnote:
Footnote is a local downtown brewery's adaptive-reuse of a 1928 building for an event space, a cafe, and a bar. This will also become the cafe and bar for Bookmarks' bookstore in the neighboring retail space. I think it's best described as an upscale bar (at night) and cafe (in the morning) in a downtown conference center owned by a neighboring brewery. Yes, when this opens you can enjoy beer, wine, scotch, coffee, and pastries in the bookstore next door. I've heard the bookstore and Footnote will be like one space instead of two separate spaces? I guess we shall see when Footnote opens. I've heard the bookstore has a glass wall, allowing you to see the work happening at Footnote? A Courtyard by Marriott hotel is also pulling permits on the site next to this site, which will become the hotel for this brewery's downtown conference center. Thank you to Wilson-Covington Construction for providing a rare update on this project!

Credit: wilsoncovington

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:55 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Bluegrass buskers in downtown Winston-Salem:
Video Link

Casper's Alehouse, Bar, Apartments & Office Space:
Atlanta-based Mayfair Street Partners, the developer of this upscale restaurant, basement speakeasy, office space, bar, and luxury apartments project, has purchased the building. Now that is a "mixed-use" project! As you can tell, they are renovating the entire building, including the basement. They also plan to renovate other interesting historic buildings in downtown Winston-Salem.

836 Oak Condominiums:
Williams Development Group has purchased the 6-storey 836 Oak Building and will convert this former industrial building from "for rent" apartments to "for sale" condominiums. They will honor the current leases. Renovations will modernize the decade-old units and add an outdoor grilling area, upgraded fitness center, and a dog park. They have room to construct a new condominium building on a neighboring site that was included in the purchase. The condominiums will sell for a very reasonable $195,000 to $275,000. The location is in downtown's Produce District, which may help explain why the prices are lower. This is near The Ramkat live music & arts venue, Fiddlin' Fish Brewery, and Wise Man Brewing.

Don't be surprised if the unit sizes increase and the price increases, too. We've seen it happen before.

Credit: StreetView

Winston-Salem Aerotropolis:
Aerotropolis Business Concepts will be hired to produce a study on how to transform Winston-Salem into an aerotropolis, centered on Smith Reynolds Airport. It will link Whitaker Park, Wake Forest University, and downtown's Innovation Quarter (IQ District) to the airport and will include the rail yard and future I-285 to create a multi-modal inland port. This is expected to be a 10 year plan for a radical transformation they claim will be equal to downtown's IQ District in economic impact. Mark Owen was hired to lead the effort to create an inland port in the core of Winston-Salem. Mark previously worked in a city with a multi-modal inland port, connecting air, rail, and highway, which connect to a water port. Everything is there, from a rail yard across from the airport to a future Interstate across from the airport. Yes, this is the airport near downtown, with a skyline view from the runways. The model for what they would like to do seems to be Alliance Airport in Fort Worth. Winston-Salem was the nation's #8 port of entry into the United States around 1920, when Winston-Salem was North Carolina's largest city. Winston-Salem was the nation's top inland port city at that time. That inland port was centered on rail. This new inland port will be centered on an airport, creating an aerotropolis. It will be fun to follow this project!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:22 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Winston-Salem will always be the star of this show!
Video Link

You can see the light fixtures on the arbor:

A look at the walkway under the arbor:

Credit: harperclark

Winston-Salem had 6-7 inches (165 millimetres) of snow: (Winston-Salem has 2-4 snows like this, each year, if you're moving here)

Credit: Jim Glasgow

One Research Tower:
Dr. Tomlinson said they are currently in talks with several potential "anchor" tenants for North District - Phase II, where this tower was previously said to be the first project of the development. Anchor tenants are major research/technology tenants, in downtown's IQ District, that usually lease an entire building. They are also in talks with multiple developers who are excited to propose new buildings in this next phase, which is expected to have around $1 billion in new construction.

Viator Design & Construction shared photographs of the ceiling cloud installation, in the gourmet market & deli.

A pressed-tin ceiling? It doesn't look original and they appear to be demolishing it:

For some reason, this has become a difficult project to find photographs of. They have poured columns for the second floor. It's a very slow-moving project.

Credit: se_developments

Demolition is now completed. They are still waiting on the foundation permit.

The construction fence on the right:

Credit: Jim Glasgow

This project will be completed on January 29, 2018.

This building will soon have a new name. The Stevens Center is giving naming rights to a major donor who will fund a significant part of the renovation. Not many details at this time. I will change the name of the project on our first page projects list when the new name is announced.

Original 1928 interior details:

Credit: harperclark

Passageway Park:

String lights are now installed and artists will restore the original early-1970s murals:

Credit: nogodsnomonsters

Credit: tim_hutch

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:14 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

So much is happening, right now, and things are only getting better!
Video Link

That song is as old as I am!

The Winston-Salem AIA is offering a tour of this building. Contact them for more details.

The windows have a nice reflection of the apartment building under-construction across the street, too:

Credit: winstonsalemfoodies

Credit: inkfreakymom3

Reynolds Place Arts Theatre:
Add another performing arts venue to downtown's Theatre District! The Arts Council will sell a large building near the coliseum to pay for a new 350 seat performing arts theatre in downtown's Theatre District. Part of the former Shamrock Mills Building, constructed in 1911, will be converted into a performing arts theatre for the North Carolina Black Repertory Company and the Little Theatre. Construction could begin in Fall 2018 or early-2019.

Credit: StreetView

Bike & Pedestrian Land Bridge:
Work has finally started on this project! The Salem Iron Works Building, built in 1916, was demolished for this land bridge and bicycle flyover ramp. A park and elevated cycle-way, to cross the expressway, will replace the former industrial building.

The new bicycle commuter infrastructure will be nice, but I will still miss this building:

Credit: curiousartist

Credit: Mary K. Elkins Birch

Credit: Mary K. Elkins Birch

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:27 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

500 West Fifth Street:

Notice the ceiling was removed on one of the balconies:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Gallery Lofts II:
This project seems to have stopped in the middle of the demolition phase?

Credit: gracewashko

From yesterday:

Credit: two_shots1969

Searching for any recent images of this project, I found this aerial photograph (below) from roughly a week ago. It also includes Bailey Power Plant. In this photograph, you can see the core is now three storeys.

Credit: algenoncash

Site cleared:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Downtown Marriott Renovation:

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Passageway Park:

Credit: thereallarebear

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 5:33 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

It's lonely in this thread...
Video Link

I guess that happens when you post on a city that has its own forum.

This week's AIA tour didn't allow interior photography.

Credit: taylor_ghost_

Credit: aiawinstonsalem

Credit: mtthw.lawrence

An update on the poke and juice restaurant:

Credit: cypresscreekfarm

High Tech GDP Growth:
Winston-Salem is ranked among the top-20 cities in the nation for growth in high tech GDP by Milken. The growth was over a five year period. And the tech boom continues!

A look at the office space for creative and tech companies.

Credit: sunnysidemillwork

As I said before, it is sad to lose the 1916 Salem Iron Works Building, but the elevated cycle-way and park should be nice.

Credit: davidbeesknees

Credit: _winstonwolfe

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:19 AM
Fourth and Main

Video Link

500 West Fifth Street:
It's fun to highlight a single project for a post. This requires a large number of photographs. Tonight, we have an amazing interior update from a construction worker at 500 West Fifth Street! Winston Starts Startup Accelerator's new space, which is opening next month on the lower floors, is nearing completion. Construction is now starting on the top office floor. I'm not sure what is planned for that floor? The boiler room is located on the 7th floor and work has started on that floor, but we don't have any photographs from the 7th floor.

Credit: ddavisphotographer

We'll start with photographs from the top office floor:

Update on Winston Starts Startup Accelerator's new space, opening next month:

Trendy "pallet walls" in Winston Starts' new space:

Nice view from Winston Starts' new space:

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:15 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Video Link

The lighting designer (Synapse Designs) said: "I am the BASE Jumper (Building, Antenna, Span, Earth) of lighting design! This year we have worked at Hudson Yards , a smokestack w/ antennas mounted to it, The South Street Bridge in Philadelphia, and a cave."

The lighting designer, who made the quote above, at the smokestack w/ antennas mounted to it:

Credit: synapse_designs

His company also designed the lighting at the Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway project (cyclists call it Rainbow Road), which you can see at the bottom of this post.

Credit: chowandchatter

Credit: justincamarata

Justin Camarata (photograph above), from Tacoma, said: "Enjoyed a quick visit to Winston-Salem this week. Really friendly city with great bars, preserved history, and a fascinating approach to innovating and re-inventing itself. I’m still taking notes."

Credit: devonmarshnc

Devon Marsh (photograph above) said: "When we moved here 20 years ago, I would not have thought a rundown old tobacco town with a bit of character could become dazzling. Nice job, Winston-Salem."

Incendiary Brewing Company Artwork:

Credit: incendiarybrew

Credit: d1066n

Credit: lyndseyelizphotography

New Progress Rail jobs:
Progress Rail will close their engine manufacturing operations in Illinois and move it to their building in Winston-Salem. It could bring up to 600 new jobs to Winston-Salem. No incentives are involved.

418 North Marshall Street:
A look at changes to the color-changing LED ribbon on the exterior of this downtown adaptive-reuse project! The completed building will have retail/entertainment space, a museum, and office space for creative companies.

The Ramkat:
The corner space, at Trade & Eighth streets, will become a bar and lounge called Gas Hill. Gas Hill will have a mix of bar stools and community tables and is also accessible from the balcony-level of The Ramkat live music and arts venue. The bar and lounge has outdoor space, too. Completion is planned for March 2018. Construction has already started.

1815 John Blum House Restoration:
Workers are currently restoring the 213 year old windows. They have to make a replica, so they can send the original window to be stripped and sanded. Then the replica is removed and the original window is reinstalled and painted.

Credit: oldsaleminc

Credit: hilarymasterson

Twin City Motors Building Adaptive-reuse:
Perkins is said to be in talks to buy the 1926 Gothic-Revival Twin City Motors / Automotive Associates Building. Originally a Ford Assembly Building and Ford Dealership, the building is currently used as a repair shop for vintage automobiles. Perkins usually renovates buildings to office and retail uses.

Original architect drawing:

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Library - N.C. Room

1926 Ford Assembly Space:

These new signs light-up at night:

Credit: thefitamazon

Credit: triadtorch

Hyatt Place Hotel & Residences:
The developer is currently securing financing and expects to break ground on the project this summer.

Footnote:

Dry-fitting a beer barrel bar:

Demolishing the 1916 Salem Iron Works Building to construct an elevated bicycle & pedestrian bridge and park. It should be great news for bicycle commuters on the southern end of the city and is expected to increase the number of bicycle commuters.

Credit: sarahwjenkins

The neighborhood, as seen from an apartment building across from the demolition site:

Credit: kaitlyn_victoria23

Credit: dsgnr2obx

Credit: synapse_designs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations