HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 4:50 PM

[St. John's] SimCity (2013)

So here it is! our thread for our region we will have on Sim City 2013!

SIMCITY! coming out on March 5th!!!

makes me giddy hehehehe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimCity_(2013_video_game)

Video Link

Video Link

One of the regions we are thinking of:

Trader's Ridge - Don't let the bluff in the middle of this site get in your way, tunnel through it! This site has small coal, raw ore and crude oil deposits to take advantage of. The flat low-lying areas and shoreline provide perfect locations for Trade Ports.
Petrol Bay - With a massive crude oil reservoir, Petrol Bay is ready to become home to an oil Drilling city. The site's shoreline curves around a large bay to facilitate crude oil sales to the Global Market.
Cinder - Set at the base of Mount Cinder, this site's large coal deposits will provide many years of profit. A rail connection and shoreline provide opportunities for mayors to sell their coal on the Global Market.
Grand Haven - This site is surrounded by the Ring River, offering a nature wonderland with high land values. Mayors will find this an ideal site for a tourist or Education city.
Summit Vista - This plain has a fantastic view of the surrounding mountains. High land values create an ideal location for an educated city or a resort. Railways and shorelines provide locations for transit options.
Ingot Landing - This hilly site at the base of Clipper Mountain is flush with raw ore. Rail tracks and a sandy bay provide mayors specialized in Mining with a means to export their resources.
Soirée Sands - This sundrenched site has white sands that tourists will flock to. High land values lend themselves to developing an educated city while the shoreline can support a ferry to transport tourists and workers.

Trader's Ridge: Marty_Mcfly
Petrol Bay: Jeddy
Ingot Landing: Ayreonaut
Grand Haven: DJ
Cinder: SignalHillHiker
Summit Vista: rwspencer38
Soiree Sands: Copes

Last edited by jeddy1989; Feb 25, 2013 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 4:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm not surprised you and Ayero are into those sorts of games. You both have the minds for it. Your Metrobus plan comes to mind.

I have SimCity 4 (I think it's 4?) but I mostly just like creating pretty settings for cities. I hate actually building them. lol Although, I did enjoy Minecraft for building more than terrain modification.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 5:16 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Dude, that sounded nerdy beyond all recognition!

Haha I'd never deny it.

I have played Cards Against Humanity, and I agree, it is fantastic.

And as for Sim City, I am also quite thrilled for its release. However, I don't think my 3 year old laptop will play it very well. I'm currently trying to build my own computer, but I know very little about it. Its rough. I don't have too much money to toss around so I'm trying to build something powerful while still within a reasonable budget. Add in the fact that I'm computer illiterate and there is a problem. I have a buddy willing to build it for me if I assemble all the parts.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 10:37 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yeah, stoked for the new SC. I like what I've seen so far. Cities XL was disappointing, but if SC took one thing from XL it should be the bus system. I love creating bus routes in XL! I hope they have actual LRT and not just the two-car trams that I see in the videos.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
And as for Sim City, I am also quite thrilled for its release. However, I don't think my 3 year old laptop will play it very well. I'm currently trying to build my own computer, but I know very little about it. Its rough. I don't have too much money to toss around so I'm trying to build something powerful while still within a reasonable budget. Add in the fact that I'm computer illiterate and there is a problem. I have a buddy willing to build it for me if I assemble all the parts.
I'm also excited

But I also have a three year old laptop which did not like SimCity4 so I don't have high expectations for this ... I just got a new apartment last month so I'm currently broke because of the furniture, moving, and security deposit (a full months rent out here!).

If only SSP Moderators were paid. If it was hourly I'd be set for life

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I'm also excited

But I also have a three year old laptop which did not like SimCity4 so I don't have high expectations for this ... I just got a new apartment last month so I'm currently broke because of the furniture, moving, and security deposit (a full months rent out here!).

If only SSP Moderators were paid. If it was hourly I'd be set for life
AMEN to that!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 12:16 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I will have to buy a new computer just for the simcity I guess, if it's that good. LOL.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 1:33 AM

I've played the crap out of sim city 4. Thank god the new game is out in a few weeks! My laptop should be able to handle it. Me and my girlfriend are both goin to buy on release day, I'll let you guys know what it's like.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I've played the crap out of sim city 4. Thank god the new game is out in a few weeks! My laptop should be able to handle it. Me and my girlfriend are both goin to buy on release day, I'll let you guys know what it's like.
I'm going to buy it on release day too (probably at Wal-Mart). My computer hates SimCity 4 but it runs the Sims 3 pretty well (freezes for a few moments in more active moments) so I guess we'll see.

One thing is for sure if you guys think it is quiet on the forum now it's going to be a ghost town for a good week after MARCH 5TH (ONLY 17 DAYS AWAY)!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I'm going to buy it on release day too (probably at Wal-Mart). My computer hates SimCity 4 but it runs the Sims 3 pretty well (freezes for a few moments in more active moments) so I guess we'll see.

One thing is for sure if you guys think it is quiet on the forum now it's going to be a ghost town for a good week after MARCH 5TH (ONLY 17 DAYS AWAY)!

you know what's amazing about this Sim City? the regions are very interactive and all citie sin a region play a role in each other's cities .. and they are really emphasizing the online aspect! THEREFORE if we wanted to we could make a region and play with a few of us from SSP could be tonnes of fun!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
you know what's amazing about this Sim City? the regions are very interactive and all citie sin a region play a role in each other's cities .. and they are really emphasizing the online aspect! THEREFORE if we wanted to we could make a region and play with a few of us from SSP could be tonnes of fun!
You've got me. I'll make a city so great you'll all be leaving your Mount Pearl developments to move to my St. John's (yes, you heard that right. Sim City trash talk )

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
You've got me. I'll make a city so great you'll all be leaving your Mount Pearl developments to move to my St. John's (yes, you heard that right. Sim City trash talk )
bahahahahhaha .. jeez don't you know me better than that .. i'm more about working together! and reagionalism ..

BUT if it comes to it I-'-L-L CRUSH YOU!!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:35 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I spent most of yesterday and an hour this morning watching beta gameplay videos on youtube. I will probably buy the game, but there's no way it'll be as good as SC4. Overall I feel like it'll be a disappointment, but I hope they make some changes before the final release. One thing that could save it is if they allow for community mods like SC4. Most of what I built was downloaded user-created content from Simtropolis.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I spent most of yesterday and an hour this morning watching beta gameplay videos on youtube. I will probably buy the game, but there's no way it'll be as good as SC4. Overall I feel like it'll be a disappointment, but I hope they make some changes before the final release. One thing that could save it is if they allow for community mods like SC4. Most of what I built was downloaded user-created content from Simtropolis.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the game will be modable. I have hundreds of downloaded contents for SC4, including boring stock things like Starbucks and Wal Marts, just to give some realism

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 4:45 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I just checked my old SC4 folder. I have about 800 subfolders! Most of them have multiple items, some have a bunch. So, probably a couple thousand items. I had a bunch of different trains/trams/buses, every real-world building I could find.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 5:42 PM

oh god.. you guys are way more hard core than me ahhaha

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 5:58 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Some of my old cities from the Show your Sim Cities thread:

From 2009

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 1:16 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I'm starting to buy pieces for my new PC on Feb 21st (beginning of my next Visa Bill period ). When is the release date for Sim City again? I love the idea of a St. John's SSP region. Could be incredibly fun. I haven't played Sim City in ages so I would like to give it a spin on my own before bringing you all down with me, but that'd be such a cool thing to have.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
I'm starting to buy pieces for my new PC on Feb 21st (beginning of my next Visa Bill period ). When is the release date for Sim City again? I love the idea of a St. John's SSP region. Could be incredibly fun. I haven't played Sim City in ages so I would like to give it a spin on my own before bringing you all down with me, but that'd be such a cool thing to have.
hahahaha I feel the same way and I was obsessed with the game before but I wasn't a wiz at it or anything and I haven't played it in a long time, maybe Copes you could put your city next to mine hahaha and we can help each other

It comes out on march 5th

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 1:41 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Shotgun financial center or city full of vice. I want to be Mayor of one or the other. Either NYC or Vegas for me!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's