HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 9:00 PM

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/esi/bsu

here's the cesed building, the camera shot is from the middle of November. I wonder if they'll have it ready for spring 2011?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 4:45 PM

I just got an email from Boise State Parking saying that the General Lot on Lincoln will close permanently. They will be closing it in order to start construction on a new, 360-bed housing project. I never heard anything about this before this email.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjt View Post
I just got an email from Boise State Parking saying that the General Lot on Lincoln will close permanently. They will be closing it in order to start construction on a new, 360-bed housing project. I never heard anything about this before this email.
Must be for this project I posted a page back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2010/12/08/34917/

ESI is apparent low bidder for BSU student housing
by Jennifer Gonzalez
Published: December 8,2010
Time posted: 11:52 am
Tags: BSU, Construction, development, ESI

ESI of Boise is the apparent low bidder to build new student housing at Boise State University.

In addition to the Lincoln Avenue housing, ESI broke ground in November on the Micron Business and Economics Building, is wrapping up construction on the Environmental Research Building, and is also constructing a campus parking garage.

Construction costs are estimated at $13,283,035, according to Idaho’s Division of Public Works. ESI’s bid is listed as $11,065,360. It generally takes several days before a contract is officially awarded.

The six townhouse-style buildings will house 360 students and take in about 135,000 square feet on Lincoln Avenue between University Drive and Beacon Street. The four-story structure is described as wood framed, with brick and stucco and single-ply roofing.

The housing is for upperclassmen, who traditionally move off campus after living in dorms for their first two years of college. The university now leases space in motels near campus to fulfill housing needs.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:30 AM

Youre right cottonwood

Construction begins on BSU housing project

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Chase/Pictures/Exterior+Housing.jpg[/IMG]

BOISE -- Construction is underway for a new $15.8 million student housing project at Boise State University that will provide room for an additional 360 students on campus.
The project will line both sides of Lincoln Avenue near the parking garage with 90 two-story townhouse style units. It is designed specifically for juniors and seniors and is expected to open in Jan. 2012.
“Additional campus housing further develops the sense of citizenship we are building by placing students in the center of campus life,” said Boise State President Bob Kustra. “This housing community will allow a student to live on campus all four years, which studies show positively impacts student success.”
The Lincoln housing project will be Boise State’s first that is primarily dedicated to upperclass students. Each unit will have four bedrooms and two baths and will offer students more space than is typically found in student housing. The initial 360-bed project that began today is part of a larger 874-bed design that may be completed at a later date.
“To have a residential experience you have to have the right residential facilities,” said Jeff Hale, executive director of University Housing. “This is more than just a place where students will live. It completes the collegiate experience and enables students to better connect to resources like the library, campus recreation, the Student Union and health services.”
The new housing option will help encourage juniors and seniors to continue to live on campus and be active members of a growing on-campus community, said Alexa Walker, student president of the University Housing Association.
Demand for on-campus housing at Boise State continues to grow and the university has doubled its student housing capacity since 2004. About 2,300 students currently live on campus in six residence halls and a variety of suites/apartment complexes.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 4:21 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

A view of the Boise State U skyline, or what can be seen above the trees, with Table Rock - I shot this last May standing on the edge of Crescent Rim.

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Feb 2, 2011 at 5:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:33 PM

nice Sawtooth!!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 3:46 PM
Dare Mighty Things

MAN, I cannot wait for Spring!!!!!!!

Great photo Sawtooth! It thoroughly reminds me how excited I am for winter to be done and Spring to arrive!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisekid View Post
Construction begins on BSU housing project

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Chase/Pictures/Exterior+Housing.jpg[/IMG]

BOISE -- Construction is underway for a new $15.8 million student housing project at Boise State University that will provide room for an additional 360 students on campus.
The project will line both sides of Lincoln Avenue near the parking garage with 90 two-story townhouse style units. It is designed specifically for juniors and seniors and is expected to open in Jan. 2012.
“Additional campus housing further develops the sense of citizenship we are building by placing students in the center of campus life,” said Boise State President Bob Kustra. “This housing community will allow a student to live on campus all four years, which studies show positively impacts student success.”
The Lincoln housing project will be Boise State’s first that is primarily dedicated to upperclass students. Each unit will have four bedrooms and two baths and will offer students more space than is typically found in student housing. The initial 360-bed project that began today is part of a larger 874-bed design that may be completed at a later date.
“To have a residential experience you have to have the right residential facilities,” said Jeff Hale, executive director of University Housing. “This is more than just a place where students will live. It completes the collegiate experience and enables students to better connect to resources like the library, campus recreation, the Student Union and health services.”
The new housing option will help encourage juniors and seniors to continue to live on campus and be active members of a growing on-campus community, said Alexa Walker, student president of the University Housing Association.
Demand for on-campus housing at Boise State continues to grow and the university has doubled its student housing capacity since 2004. About 2,300 students currently live on campus in six residence halls and a variety of suites/apartment complexes.
Just so you know. This is the same design they were originally doing last year minus the large dorm Building A and Community Center Building.
Also worth noting is they are actually 4 stories tall. (2) 2 stories units stacked. This will be a very nice project for BSU.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdave View Post
Just so you know. This is the same design they were originally doing last year minus the large dorm Building A and Community Center Building.
Also worth noting is they are actually 4 stories tall. (2) 2 stories units stacked. This will be a very nice project for BSU.
I agree, although the larger project would have been nice.

I was on campus last weekend with my daughter for engineering day, there is a crazy amount of construction on campus right now. Pretty good to see considering the economic climate and that our legislature is scared of educated citizens...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 3:06 AM

They will eventually build Building A and The community Center. The Buildings they are building are labeled B-G in The Plans. Building A is the Large Dorm Building (185,000 sq ft) and H is The Community Center. They are still very much apart of the plan. Just a different Phase thats all designed approved and ready just waiting for funding. I don't think with the amount of demand BSU has for housing that that will be an issue. Below is a link.
http://www.ozarch.com/main/project/B...d/473/pcid/163

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 6:24 AM

Stadium Expansion taking first steps

Boise State AD aims to open football complex by 2013

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...#ixzz1CsHNNAR7

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 6:00 PM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 9:19 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Boise State construction updates, not all projects are included.

Micron Business and Economics Building or COBE, Capitol Boulevard

Lincoln Garage

Completed class or office space on the bottom floor of the first phase of the garage.

Near Campus

Dona Larsen Park, a soon to be new Boise State sports complex and city park @ Warm Springs Avenue and Broadway Avenue, near Bronco Stadium

http://news.boisestate.edu/blog/2-5-...ior-high-site/
http://www.broncoathleticassociation...a-larsen-park/

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Feb 7, 2011 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 11:15 PM

I was at Mulligans last night, and I noticed the BSU SSPA "Alaska Building" building right across the street. A friend of mine actually has a class in there. It got me thinking that it would be cool to have a downtown campus core that takes over empty buildings and has classroom space and such. It would be especially beneficial with Poli Sci, Social Work, History, etc. students being able to mingle with politicians and city officials. Reminds me of NYU in NYC a little bit.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2011, 11:53 PM

There is also a business incubator called The Greenhouse on Idaho street that is run by Boise State.

http://www.boisegreenhouse.com/current-clients/

I haven't been inside the greenhouse, but the center on main is pretty cool.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 5:07 PM

Hong Kong Spa What would be seen if you were a fly on the wall in that place?!?

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 5:08 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...-is-boise.html

Micron $13 million gift is Boise State’s largest donation
Idaho Statesman
Published: 05/05/11

Boise State University announced today that Micron Technology Inc., has committed $13 million to the College of Engineering for the development of a Ph.D. program in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering - the largest gift to the university in its nearly 80-year history.

“We continue to be impressed with the trajectory of Boise State’s Materials Science and Engineering Department. Micron’s contribution to this program is a great investment in the future of our Company, community and the State of Idaho,” said Micron CEO Steve Appleton in a press release. “A doctorate program focused on materials science and engineering will strengthen Boise State’s ability to develop breakthrough technologies and help create the associated broad-based economic and societal benefits.”

“By investing in Boise State, Micron is investing in the future of the high-tech workforce and the proud tradition of American creativity,” said Boise State President Bob Kustra. “Innovative materials drive the creation of critical new technologies, industries and ways of life. This landmark gift will position Boise State’s materials science program as one of the top research engines in the region and we are grateful for Micron’s continued support.”

Materials science combines various technical disciplines with manufacturing and design to solve engineering problems and explore the relationships between the processing, structure and properties of metals, ceramics, polymers and composites. At the atomic and molecular levels, the ability of materials scientists to manipulate and create materials is essential to emerging technologies in a global industry worth an estimated $550 billion.

Related research in Boise State’s MSE department ranges from using DNA as nanoscale scaffolding for groundbreaking biomedical devices to developing new materials to withstand environmental conditions such as extreme heat, corrosive gas and radiation. An undergraduate degree program and two master’s degree programs bridge the pure and applied sciences and produce graduates with interdisciplinary skills that are in demand, and the addition of a doctoral program promises direct benefits for the university and Micron.

“A Ph.D. program would mark the evolution of our impressive and rapidly growing research portfolio in the MSE department,” said College of Engineering Interim Dean Amy Moll. “Graduates are now highly sought by major research universities across the nation as doctoral students, and we would like to keep that talent in Idaho. With Micron’s support, the department will make strategic hires in critical areas, including energy materials, nanotechnology, and innovative materials for semiconductor products.”

Between 2004 and 2010, the MSE department’s graduate student population quadrupled, and the current undergraduate enrollment is at a record 93 students. Externally funded research has grown dramatically as well, with tenured and tenure track faculty bringing in more than $11 million over the last two years. Micron’s $13 million gift will promote further growth in the department and the College of Engineering. The creation of an MSE Ph.D. program is pending State Board of Education approval and is expected to be reviewed at a regularly scheduled meeting this summer.

Micron Technology, Inc., is one of the world’s leading semiconductor companies. Micron DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash memory products are used in everything from computing, networking and server applications to mobile, embedded, consumer, automotive and industrial designs.

Read more: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/0...#ixzz1LUzAsaOI

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 9:33 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Excellent news!! It's too bad it had to happen now during a wave of bad news, but by all means it's huge news to the university and a big step forward in the continued progress toward becoming an accredited research university.

Speaking of accredited research university, with the strides we've made in athletics, in research and education, and with the impact the school has made on the city of Boise, what do you guys think about the concept of renaming Boise State to the University of Boise?

The reason I say that is because personally I slightly dislike Boise State as a name, as it's just not a prestigious sounding name, nor does it really reflect the direction the university is heading (it seems to harken back to the days of us being a commuter college). I'm not alone in this thought, from the many conversations I've had with friends and students, but just curious as to all your thoughts. University of Boise wouldn't be a major change, but if we were to change the name of the institution, now would be the best time, as our university is blossoming so quickly.

Just curious.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 10:09 PM

I've heard this spoken of too. On a similar note, it seems like a few years or so ago there was an idea to rename all 3 state Universities to be Univeristy of Idaho Moscow, University of Idaho Boise, and University of Idaho Pokeafellow, but I like University of Boise better.....maybe University of Les Bois? that sounds nice but BSU may be confused with a university somewhere in France

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 5:50 PM

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...ng-of-antibody

Boise State University
Boise State Alzheimer's Research Yields its First Licensing of Antibody

Posted by George Prentice on Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 10:51 AM

In a first for Boise State, the university has licensed its first antibody for biomedical research around the globe. The licensing agreement was crafted by Boise State's newly formed Office of Technology Transfer within its Division of Research.

Boise State biology professor Troy Rohn formulated the antibody, known as caspase-cleaved beclin-1, as part of his research into the causes of Alzheimer's disease. By using the antibody, Rohn discovered that in Alzheimer's patients, a particular protein found in all cells was cleaved, or damaged.

In tomorrow's BW, we profile Rohn and learn about his Alzheimer's research at Boise State. Rohn said Alzheimer's has reached an epidemic level in Idaho, which at its current pace could bankrupt our medical systems of care by the middle of this century.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West