HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:21 AM

Rogers/Bell TV Alternatives

Hello fellow Canadians, I have recently cut the cord with regards to cable tv and am wondering what others do to consume content other than Netflix. Living in London, Ontario, the OTA choices are extremely limited.

So far, I have Netflix, Sportsnet GO, CBC News & CityTV apps on Apple TV. Has anyone subscribed to Zazeen or VMedia streaming live TV?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:25 AM

I watch a lot of YouTube on my TV through the blu ray player. Documentaries, music videos, sports highlights, CBC News, the Agenda with Steve Paikin, pretty much whatever you could think of.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:40 AM

I have kodi on an old laptop that is permanently attached to my TV. It works just fine, although I would like a faster internet to be able to stream sports.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:43 AM

I would pay for Netflix or some other streaming service if they had the same content as grey market streaming services, but they don't. The grey market services have way more content. The one that I use is called 123movies.to. All movies and all TV shows in good quality, all in one spot.

The only thing holding me back from cancelling cable altogether is because streamed sports programming looks not too great because of the low frame rate. The 30 second delay bothers me as well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:04 AM
BANNED

HBO go is the only channel I could think of that doesn't usually have content on netflix.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 1:20 AM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
Hello fellow Canadians, I have recently cut the cord with regards to cable tv and am wondering what others do to consume content other than Netflix. Living in London, Ontario, the OTA choices are extremely limited.

So far, I have Netflix, Sportsnet GO, CBC News & CityTV apps on Apple TV. Has anyone subscribed to Zazeen or VMedia streaming live TV?
It seems to me that you still want cable TV content? If that's the case cutting the cord might have been a bad economic choice.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I have kodi on an old laptop that is permanently attached to my TV. It works just fine, although I would like a faster internet to be able to stream sports.
This right here. I still pay for netflix (just so I dont feel too guilty), but honestly its all there on kodi. Just upgraded my internet service to top tier. I can now jump around in an hd stream just like I have the whole file downloaded!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:21 AM

Gotta look into these Kodi boxes. They sell on Craigslist for 100 bucks. All content is free (so says the add). If it can stream all sports in high quality i would buy one. Seems too good to be true though.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post

Funny you should mention it. Sick of Bell (one of Canada's most disgraceful corps), and with Rogers being only a scosche better, we're taking a flyer with Zazeen. Equipment and installation haven't arrived yet, but I'll let you know how it is once all is up and running.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Gotta look into these Kodi boxes. They sell on Craigslist for 100 bucks. All content is free (so says the add). If it can stream all sports in high quality i would buy one. Seems too good to be true though.
If you have a computer hooked to a tv thats all you need. I suppose the external box is nice in that everything is preloaded, but its not that hard to figure out. I watched a couple of you tube videos read a couple of forum posts, and was up and running in 30 mins or so. I cant speak for the sports content (as I'm not a fan) but it has all netflix shows, all amazon shows, all hbo, showtime, amc, sify, etc. etc. etc. and obviously all movies/documentries as well. Literally everything is on there and then some. It has exposed me to so many new shows I would have otherwise never watched.

All you really need (in my opinion) is the exodus add on and you're good to go. A good speedy internet connection is not gonna hurt either.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:02 AM

Yep. Thanks. Going through the Exodus set up now. It appears that there are a quite a few add ons for sports.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Yep. Thanks. Going through the Exodus set up now. It appears that there are a quite a few add ons for sports.
Did you see this?

https://www.tvaddons.ag/exodus-kodi-future/

Scroll down to the comments. Does not sound good at all!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 4:39 AM

Works fine so far.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Works fine so far.
Bell was actually quite good when I lived in Ontario before moving west. Here we have the choice of Shaw or Telus.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:03 AM

I watch a lot of stuff on youtube too. Lots of BBC shows are on there. They may get taken down once in a while but a new channel will pop up within hours so you can follow a show such as Big Brother UK.

Most current shows are available online like city TV, Global, CTV or the American ones if you can hide your VPN. They will contain commercials though but they have a few weeks of the latest episodes of whatever shows are on their network. You can get hulu shows if you hide your VPN too but they usually have commercials in them too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 7:03 AM
Majestic

I've never had cable in my adult life. I have an antenna for OTA, and everything else is from the internet. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Crunchyroll, etc. Sports are irrelevant to me, but I can get American football and HNIC on the antenna... although this means I'm almost never watching my local teams unless I head down to the pub.

Add on podcasts, video games, youtube and twitch, and there's not enough hours to consume all the available content.

Flickr

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 6:38 AM

Funny seeing my old posts from a couple years ago. I gave up on Kodi and other not entirely legal streaming sites. Too much work and updating to keep things running smoothly. Using remote control is far easier.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:39 AM

Even with many of the streams not working as well as they did, Kodi is still a viable alternative for legal (cleared) content for those without cable.

It's funny that people use the term "cut the cord" and yet pay for many alternative services. My definition would be to not pay for anything aside from your Internet service or OTA which has barely been mentioned in this thread but once, I think.

Kodi can be fairly easily installed on a laptop directly connected to a TV as one poster had setup and just recently the long awaited Kodi 18 has just been released. No need to buy a special box or anthing just install on any computer and give it a try if you don't have too many alternatives or don't want to pay for them.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 2:14 PM

CBC Gem is a pretty good side dish to Netflix. It is not very well known but there's some good content. It's free if you can live with ads, or you can pay to get rid of them.

Between Netflix, CBC Gem, YouTube and OTA, that would provide a pretty good range of entertainment and news, and it would only involve paying for one service. That said, I still have cable but at this point sports are the main reason I still have it.

I was always a bit fascinated by the idea of doing a FTA satellite dish but I could never bother with all the technical details getting it set up. Kodi and the like were a non-starter for me... I can't be bothered with the constant tinkering involved.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
CBC Gem is a pretty good side dish to Netflix.
I was always a bit fascinated by the idea of doing a FTA satellite dish but I could never bother with all the technical details getting it set up. Kodi and the like were a non-starter for me... I can't be bothered with the constant tinkering involved.
I didn't know about CBC Gem, thanks for the headsup.

Unless something has changed, after years of having satellite and then not, I looked at FTA and I don't think there was a whole lotta content there.

Kodi, I wouldn't say has constant tinkering, especially when it involves cleared content, that seems pretty constant. Kodi is good for connecting to content programs like the Smithsonian Channel (addon now being rewritten), Food Network, and off the beaten path stuff like archive.org, and NFB.

My experience with Kodi has been interesting. Years ago I used to go to separate websites to find cleared content. A site like CTV for example would have some shows available but not a whole season or anything like that, same with NBC for example. I thought, wouldn't it be great to have a program to conglomerate all that and that is what Kodi essentially does. I knew about Kodi/XBMC for years but I didn't know what it did (to my regret). I always thought it was just another media player like Windows Media Player.

In case anyone hasn't heard of it USTVNow is interesting. It's purpose was to allow US citizens overseas to watch what they could at home with an OTA setup. It's less now than it was but you can get (with the free version) ABC, CBS, CW, My9, and PBS. I have mine hooked up in Kodi. After 60 days or so the resolution on the free accounts goes less than hi def but I've read you can sign out and back in with the same user/pass and it will go back to high def.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada