HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 3:55 AM
perhaps . . .

There are plenty enough threads comparing city to city, suburb to suburb. This discussion is about city-suburb pairings: do they project a good fit in terms of urbanity, feel, aesthetics, built form. Obviously the suburbs are what they are (not full cities), so the fit is overtly about the pairing as entities within their respective urban wholes.

Does Laval suit Montreal?
Are there strong visual commonalities between Mississauga and Toronto?
Does a given suburb give you the urban feeling you expect for that metro, or do you think they are an odd couple?
etc?

(This is not meant to be a big deep analysis - just a casual talk.)

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal View Post

Does Laval suit Montreal?
)
It's suitable as a place to cross on the way to cottage country.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This is the plan for the downtown of our "Laval". The centre-ville of the former City of Gatineau.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...-recours-ville

It's worth mentioning that over half of the stuff that is in that picture is already there. The rest is to be built.

One thing that is not shown is a planned pedestrian street with shops, restaurants and cafés which would be under the mustard-coloured circle. Not sure of when that will be happening though. Perhaps the construction of the arena will spur that portion of the development.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:24 PM
Ocean Breeze

North Vancouver by Carol Jackson, on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/caroljj/33405177971/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:14 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post

North Vancouver by Carol Jackson, on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/caroljj/33405177971/
Interesting angle. One of the few where I can see my place.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:04 PM

North York.

[IMG]North York City Centre Skyline by steveve photostream #1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:06 PM

About North Vancouver...... are there hiking trails in those hills?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post

Lots.
posted on: http://images.glaciermedia.ca

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 5:47 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post
Those are very large mountains my friend... and many people live in this area due to the proximity to the trails/outdoor activities. The supposed "Vancouver lifestyle" is really the North Vancouver lifestyle. Quarry Rock is my favourite:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 7:40 AM
perhaps . . .

There are extensive trail networks for hiking and mountain biking in all the mountains that rise from the Fraser Valley and along Howe Sound to Pemberton and beyond. In some areas there are also winter networks for cross country skiing and snowshoeing.

The networks are quite dense on the faces facing the populated valleys. In metro, there are hundreds of trails up every mountain, but much fewer that penetrate deeper into the wilderness. North of the city are large areas containing the three potable watersheds in which no trails (or access) are allowed. Much of the rest of the land is designated parkland in which trails will take you north into and across Garibaldi Park.

Other dense networks exist around Pemberton, Whistler, Squamish and the eastern Fraser Valley.

Check out the Trailforks website and you can see them all mapped out.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 4:06 PM
Moran supreme

Looking back through this thread, I can honestly say that Calgary really does not have anything that should even be considered a suburban skyline - Calgary is a uni-city and until a cluster of high rises gets built in Airdrie, well we just won't be there. Yeah, Calgary has a few areas where there might be a cluster of 3 or 4 high rises but these clusters are certainly not attractive enough to create an environment that I would call vibrant. Calgary's Beltline - hell, many people already call that downtown and often you'll get called out if you say it isn't. The Brentwood TOD with it's current 4 buildings is a good start but it's too little and it's very sterile. Others like London Square on Macleod - there's nothing there that currently makes it an area I would call a destination. If I've got a Saturday afternoon that I might spend wandering around an area to see what it's shops and restaurants/pubs might offer, it certainly isn't going to be London Square or Brentwood TOD - the small Westbrook cluster, nothing there at all to attract someone to browse or stop by.

Yupp, I'll probably get chastised by some for having such a viewpoint but I've lived in Calgary since 1979 and have visited almost all of Canada's major cities save for the east coast and I'd say only the Vancouver and Toronto metros truly have suburban skylines. Calgary, probably won't ever happen or at least in my lifetime.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Yupp, I'll probably get chastised by some for having such a viewpoint but I've lived in Calgary since 1979 and have visited almost all of Canada's major cities save for the east coast and I'd say only the Vancouver and Toronto metros truly have suburban skylines. Calgary, probably won't ever happen or at least in my lifetime.
I don't know if Ottawa has a suburban skyline, but Ottawa has many clusters of highrise apartment blocks dotted around the suburbs. When you come in to the city from the west along the 417, which is situated on a bit of a ridge, you get a good view of it all.

Toronto and Ottawa are the commie block kings, but most of Ontario's midsized cities have clusters of apartment towers from the 60s and 70s in their inner suburban areas. Even my small hometown of Peterborough has at least two (1,2), even though the buildings there are 8-10 storeys, rather than 20-30.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 6:40 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Even my small hometown of Peterborough has at least two (1,2), even though the buildings there are 8-10 storeys, rather than 20-30.
What's amusing about those two links is that as much as Canadians get lumped into "America" and that we always say that no non-North American visitors should be expected to discern any real differences between the two countries (well, outside of California and Florida, of course), in actual fact you'd be hard-pressed to find two vistas like that anywhere in the U.S.

Without the giveaways of the Google Street View labels, and keeping the North American cars far enough out of view, anyone could be forgiven for guessing that you were linking to scenes in Scandinavia.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 10:01 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
I don't know if Ottawa has a suburban skyline, but Ottawa has many clusters of highrise apartment blocks dotted around the suburbs. When you come in to the city from the west along the 417, which is situated on a bit of a ridge, you get a good view of it all.
I feel like Lincoln Fields and Tunney's Pasture should count, Carleton is a maybe, and the Montreal Rd + Vanier Parkway area is definitely an option.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Looking back through this thread, I can honestly say that Calgary really does not have anything that should even be considered a suburban skyline - Calgary is a uni-city and until a cluster of high rises gets built in Airdrie, well we just won't be there. Yeah, Calgary has a few areas where there might be a cluster of 3 or 4 high rises but these clusters are certainly not attractive enough to create an environment that I would call vibrant. Calgary's Beltline - hell, many people already call that downtown and often you'll get called out if you say it isn't. The Brentwood TOD with it's current 4 buildings is a good start but it's too little and it's very sterile. Others like London Square on Macleod - there's nothing there that currently makes it an area I would call a destination. If I've got a Saturday afternoon that I might spend wandering around an area to see what it's shops and restaurants/pubs might offer, it certainly isn't going to be London Square or Brentwood TOD - the small Westbrook cluster, nothing there at all to attract someone to browse or stop by.

You are bang on. Would be nice to see in our lifetimes but like a new arena/stadium don't hold your breath.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:

I don't see why you'd get chastised for that - it's completely accurate. It's not surprising either considering the way the city has grown and given the deliberate focus on downtown. I think it will change over time though - the Currie Barracks development could give a genuine additional skyline, as could maybe Seton - the hospital there is already pretty dominant in itself, so a bunch of midrises next door could give a pretty prominent feature.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2017, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I feel like Lincoln Fields and Tunney's Pasture should count, Carleton is a maybe, and the Montreal Rd + Vanier Parkway area is definitely an option.
Personally, I wouldn't count anything in old Ottawa or Vanier. Might even exclude anything within he greenbelt.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 12:53 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't count anything in old Ottawa or Vanier. Might even exclude anything within he greenbelt.
If Yonge and Eglinton or the Etobicoke waterfront can count then surely much of old Ottawa counts?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 5:32 AM

looking from one suburban skyline to another, by mcminsen:

Metrotown, from Brentwood

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 11:17 PM
Ocean Breeze

Metrotown by Adrian De Lisle, on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/adrian...in/dateposted/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada