HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Wow, what a beast! Wonder how accurate the rendering is considering the TCW building is 517ft. That would make it ~900ft?
I sure hope the rending is accurate scale

I remember years ago when JW Marriott went up and I thought to myself - boy that building is tall... Now it is one of the shortest new-ish building in South Park.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:31 PM

Reminds me of a futuristic Aon building

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
I like it a lot. The podium is unfortunate, but not an abomination like it is with Circa. The number of parking spaces is somewhat reasonable given the specs.
I like it a lot too, but I'm kinda wishing they'd rethink the color. Blue-gray glass boxes seem to be all the rage for South Park; it'd be nice to have more architectural variety in that part of downtown.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I like it a lot too, but I'm kinda wishing they'd rethink the color. Blue-gray glass boxes seem to be all the rage for South Park; it'd be nice to have more architectural variety in that part of downtown.
Too bad no postmodern office towers were built further south than TCW in the 80s and 90s.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:33 PM
Paramoderator

What I don't like about this tower is how it relates to the Hotel Figueroa. The tower simply exists next to it, not making any effort to relate to the large blank wall. As such, the streetwall seems uneven, and to be honest, the huge blank wall is kind of unseemly. The tower could easily acknowledge the Hotel Figueroa somehow, especially by raising that part of the podium, or extending the main mass of the tower, to connect and ackowledge the historic 150 foot hight limit that the Hotel Figueroa conformed to.

In New York, where I live for most of the year, new buildings make an effort to fit in with their neighbords, creating a cohesive and pleasent neighborhood. Buildings are built to the height of their existing neighbors, or have setbacks so that they appear so. They also often use the same, or complimentary, materials as their neighbords, which creates a beatiful street. I'm not a hater, I think Los Angeles and this tower is great and exciting, but I do think more effort needs to be made in this regard. Los Angeles, after all, is a young city in terms of urbanity and densification, and still has areas in which it must mature.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:44 PM

Our lot sizes are simply too large. In most other cities the tower portion would stand on its own and take up most, if not all, of the lot.

I'm not sure what drives this difference. Perhaps regulatory.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Our lot sizes are simply too large. In most other cities the tower portion would stand on its own and take up most, if not all, of the lot.

I'm not sure what drives this difference. Perhaps regulatory.
It's not the size of our lots that dictate this, rather our current building code and zoning which has developers need to assemble lots to construct what they want.

Building codes... 3 major rules I see
1. parking minimums create need for either an adjacent structure, podium beneath tower, or most expensive... a cost prohibitive completely underground garage based on minimums set
2. Design guidelines for air rights and setbacks which are meant to maximize sunlight to the ground but creates each developer buying up excess lot space around a project to create the needed air rights to go taller according to code.
3. The mass and shape of our tower cores in LA dictated by our Fire code that has us build very wide boxy buildings in LA in comparison to other cities.

The USBank building when constructed is an example of all of this being exercised.
This building only exists as the tallest in LA at its location with two large building next to it because it was able to buy the air rights from the Central library which enabled it to be remodeled. It also satisfied its parking minimum by building a parking garage beneath the library's expansion, negating the need for an adjected parking garage or a podium underneath. It also has setbacks along the tower as it rises fulfilling that demand. The USBank is my favorite building in LA based on its exterior design, but this is its major flaw. We see that it has a unique non-square box shape in the midst of our current large core requirement, and the lease able space is awkward; making it one of the most difficult buildings to lease in LA

It's very difficult to build a very tall tower in LA that is surrounded by other tall buildings as our current code allows, hence massive podiums like Onni's 50 story and Level reaching to adjacent lots to fulfill air rights and parking minimums in one swoop. I think this new proposal does the absolute best it can based on our guidelines and I love the design and look of it... especially that roof

Last edited by hughfb3; Today at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Today, 12:15 AM

I knew the effects of #1 and #3 but wasn't sure how much #2 played a role. Makes sense though.

Old Posted Today, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
It's not the size of our lots that dictate this, rather our current building code and zoning which has developers need to assemble lots to construct what they want.

Building codes... 3 major rules I see
1. parking minimums create need for either an adjacent structure, podium beneath tower, or most expensive... a cost prohibitive completely underground garage based on minimums set
2. Design guidelines for air rights and setbacks which are meant to maximize sunlight to the ground but creates each developer buying up excess lot space around a project to create the needed air rights to go taller according to code.
3. The mass and shape of our tower cores in LA dictated by our Fire code that has us build very wide boxy buildings in LA in comparison to other cities.

The USBank building when constructed is an example of all of this being exercised.
This building only exists as the tallest in LA at its location with two large building next to it because it was able to buy the air rights from the Central library which enabled it to be remodeled. It also satisfied its parking minimum by building a parking garage beneath the library's expansion, negating the need for an adjected parking garage or a podium underneath. It also has setbacks along the tower as it rises fulfilling that demand. The USBank is my favorite building in LA based on its exterior design, but this is its major flaw. We see that it has a unique non-square box shape in the midst of our current large core requirement, and the lease able space is awkward; making it one of the most difficult buildings to lease in LA

It's very difficult to build a very tall tower in LA that is surrounded by other tall buildings as our current code allows, hence massive podiums like Onni's 50 story and Level reaching to adjacent lots to fulfill air rights and parking minimums in one swoop. I think this new proposal does the absolute best it can based on our guidelines and I love the design and look of it... especially that roof
Thanks for the thorough and insightful explanation. Do you know if the city of LA is trying to change any of the above rules? Seems like LA's city planning is so antiquated. SMH

Old Posted Today, 1:06 AM

Nice, shiny new rendering for the first page. Kinda like ICC in Hong Kong, but shorter, of course.

Old Posted Today, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
I think that's a classic and gorgeous tower.

Height should be correct.. we are talking about 66 stories.
Incredible times for the city of angels.

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners.
Nothings bothers me more than arrogant people. (I can handle them but it makes me angry whenever other people have to suffer)

Old Posted Today, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwin517 View Post
Thanks for the thorough and insightful explanation. Do you know if the city of LA is trying to change any of the above rules? Seems like LA's city planning is so antiquated. SMH
I know the city is currently working on it but it seems like its taking forever.

I remember reading about recode:LA (or whatever its called) like 3 years ago.

Old Posted Today, 9:40 AM

Gorgeous looking tower. TCW is completely dwarf'd by it. Considering the number of floors I'd say it's in the 900's.

Seeing Figueroa with all those completed projects is incredible. Can Hanzens hurry up and start? Anyways, adding to the front page.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations