HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 12:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
They are working this morning.. excavator digging, looks like the dig is on for the foundation.
Good stuff.

Myles, it's time to update the header on the thread to read "under construction".

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good stuff.

Myles, it's time to update the header on the thread to read "under construction".
Will there be a crane on site?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
Will there be a crane on site?
At that height (8-9 stories depending on if you count the penthouse), the answer would be unequivocally yes.........

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 5:25 PM

I have to say, I'm loving the plan and with the addition of the hotel, restaurant and brewery, this will be Moncton's first multi use (well, not true multi use, but it's more than just condos) residential building won't it?

The one concern I have is price... the price of a 1 bedroom condo is more than a brand new detached home in Moncton! Add to that the condo fees and a 1 bedroom condo will have a higher monthly cost than a 300k 3 bed 2 bath home...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 10:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page:

Documentary evidence that excavation for 55 Queen has begun!!!

I wonder if she will be providing more pictures from her elevated perch in city hall?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:10 PM

They could install a webcam at that location, would be a nice vantage point.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Looking closer at the image, I wonder if the excavator isn't digging a hole to allow them to pour a concrete base for the tower crane. It's a square (rectangular) discrete hole at the dead centre of the construction site.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Looking closer at the image, I wonder if the excavator isn't digging a hole to allow them to pour a concrete base for the tower crane. It's a square (rectangular) discrete hole at the dead centre of the construction site.
The building will have underground parking, the crane base would therefore be bellow that level. I think they are just starting to dig the underground level.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
The building will have underground parking, the crane base would therefore be bellow that level. I think they are just starting to dig the underground level.
I would think you are correct MonctonRad. The crane will be required to build the underground parking structure.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
They could install a webcam at that location, would be a nice vantage point.
That shot is literally taken from our dept back window. Yeah, I could put a webcam up there easy, but to do my due diligence I'd need to talk to contractors first... they're a skittish lot about that sort of thing.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:10 PM

Small crane is on site installing tower crane footing this mornign..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
Small crane is on site installing tower crane footing this mornign..
Looking forward to another tower crane in the city (Horizon Place being the other one). If they start work on the Tannery Building or the Hilton Hotel at the Junction Urban Village this summer, there will likely be a third one too.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Looking forward to another tower crane in the city (Horizon Place being the other one). If they start work on the Tannery Building or the Hilton Hotel at the Junction Urban Village this summer, there will likely be a third one too.
They have one at the George Dumont right now, it's small but it's still a crane. There would also likely be one at the hotel on mapleton by the highway.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 9:48 PM

There are now tower crane pieces on site. This one is yellow

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 2:19 AM

55 Queen Projects seems a little bit hopeful for the builders almost like the Grand Trunk Townhomes project(Not the same developers to my knowledge but same scenario with pricing).

55 Queen has price tags from $234,000.00 for a 1 bedroom apartment to $780,000.00 for a 2+ bedroom 2 Bath (The plus seems to be a study/office).

There is also the fact they seem to have only filled 2 units 1 Gahan house, and the other by changing around there plans, and adding the boutique hotel lobby leaving 4000 Sq Ft of Lease-able space.

I will point out that I am aware it takes just 1 person/project to push the market forward but it's been attempted before, and was looking bad since the previous attempt had to drop the price of there units in some cases dropped more then half.

I think it was Feneant who had pointed out the price being high, and I tend to agree.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 10:28 AM

I heard from someone at the home show that there were a number of pre-sold condos. I wouldn't know though as I didn't attend so maybe someone who did can enlighten us.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:05 AM

The condos are half sold.
I stopped in at their model suite one day (upstairs from Sounds Fantastic) and they have this thing where you put on virtual reality goggles for a tour of what your condo could look like. It was WAY cool! These guys aren't frigging around.
Despite my enthusiasm, I will agree that these kinds of higher-end condos have never been popular in Moncton, albeit with some exceptions, ie, the one behind the cop shop sold pretty quickly and is fully occupied to this day.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:19 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

It requires a culture shift in the city.

Moncton has always been suburban in character and auto-centric. This has a lot to do with the fact that for the most part, it is a relatively "new" city compared to it's Maritime neighbours and never had a densely built core. As the city matures and as more attractions and services locate downtown, the city will get more congested and driving downtown will get more difficult. This and an aging population wanting to downsize will drive a condo boom. It will happen here, just a generation or so later than in the rest of North America........

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
The condos are half sold.
I stopped in at their model suite one day (upstairs from Sounds Fantastic) and they have this thing where you put on virtual reality goggles for a tour of what your condo could look like. It was WAY cool! These guys aren't frigging around.
Despite my enthusiasm, I will agree that these kinds of higher-end condos have never been popular in Moncton, albeit with some exceptions, ie, the one behind the cop shop sold pretty quickly and is fully occupied to this day.
Right, 17 of the 41 condos are sold according to Marco Dibonaventura (the realtor), I asked him personally at the home show last weekend.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lots of digging and concrete installation (for the base of the crane) at the FiveFive Queen site today. You can see pieces of the tower crane piled along the side of the lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces