HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:30 PM
ARTchitecture

The Great Canadian reclad Thread!

Post any information about current and future reclads and redevelopments and also feel free to post any cool pictures of past projects as well.

First Canadian Place - Toronto

TD Tower - Halifax
current

FUTURE

TD Building - St. John's

No render of completed work available

Confederation Building - St. John's

No render of completed work available

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

No render of what it will look like once completed, but I do have this picture I took of the Confederation Building being reclad. They're replacing the clear glass and green panels with blue glass and blue panels. I LOVE it... converts what is objectively Canada's ugliest provincial parliament from a glorified high school to a tolerable office building.

The Fortis Building in downtown St. John's is also to be reclad, I believe. And if ANYONE KNOWS what they're doing to that TD Building, PLEASE tell me. What a mess that site is. It reminds me of Bridge over the Drina, by Ivo Andric (he won the Nobel Prize for Literature for it). In one passage he's describing how the Slavic townsfolk in this little Bosnian town reacted to the construction of a giant, Ottoman bridge in the 1500s. And the part that made me laugh was his description of all the scaffolding that went up, the dust, the noise, etc. And he ends this pages-long description of the construction site with, more or less, "And this mess that arose on both banks of the Drina river looked, to the townsfolk, like anything they could imagine. But not a bridge."

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:36 PM
ARTchitecture

Thank GOD it actually looks good! The freaking foam green spandrel was just abhorrent.

How did I know that you would be the first to reply to this thread SignalHillHiker?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:37 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Thank GOD it actually looks good! The freaking foam green spandrel was just abhorrent.

How did I know that you would be the first to reply to this thread SignalHillHiker?
'Cause I post a lot. And you baited me with not one but TWO St. John's pics.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

^ Awesome reclad, ChrisAllard. The difference is amazing. All cities should do that to all of their old commieblocks.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 11:44 PM
ARTchitecture

Yeah seriously wow!!!

I've seen some amazing indoor renovations to the commieblocks in Calgary here, but all of them still look like hell on the outside!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The TD reclad in Halifax is supposed to start in the next couple of weeks. It's a major expansion of the building. The building's floor space will be approximately doubled.

Another big one in Halifax is the Fenwick tower expansion and recladding. This one is kind of sad because when it was almost approved the developer discovered that there was some kind of surveying problem and one of the viewplanes went through the space where the building was supposed to be built. Because of this the viewplane has to be amended for the development to move forward and the whole process has been delayed by months. That is all par for the course in Halifax. A lot of construction is happening there right now but it's mostly happening in spite of a very bureaucratic municipal government.

Source

By redevelopments for this thread I guess you mean only cases where the structures themselves are being substantially reused. Developments where the old buildings are torn down or only the facades are used would not count.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:19 AM
ARTchitecture

No, facade reservations don't count. Only buildings that maintain their structures and either have new structural components added or have their facades changed.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
^ Awesome reclad, ChrisAllard. The difference is amazing. All cities should do that to all of their old commieblocks.
Agreed. There's plenty in Toronto that need recladding. Fortunately Sutton Place is scheduled for one (I don't have the link but I'm sure there's info on it on this site).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:42 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
160 Smith St. Winnipeg
Best re-cladding in this thread so far. Did the vocation of the building change?

Here's the best one in Montreal:
GM Building, Concordia Unviersity

Before

http://www.concordia.ca/about/major-...ampus/sgw/guy/

After (it's mostly done now, but the pic below gives you an idea anyway)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexcaban View Post
December 21

Concordia GM reno

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

^ Whoa - another awesome one.

In both cases (ChrisAllard's and yours), if they were new proposals, I'd be less than thrilled - even for St. John's. But for reclads, they're fantastic.

They turn eyesores/background uglies into buildings that are, at the very minimum, debatable even as new proposals. That's a HUGE improvement, and a welcome one. Can you imagine if our cities are reclad so well that buildings like these become the new background noise?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 12:53 AM

Tour Prodev

A more than welcome change in this case

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:00 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I was wondering what was up with that building. It looked new and old at the same time and it was kind of confusing but I didn't think too much of it at the time.

Thunder Bay's tallest has been undergoing a façade restoration for over two years now. It's almost done.

Another renovation is our City Hall:

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:03 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

^ This thread is AWESOME. I am falling in love with these buildings.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:55 AM

This one is a damn shame. In 1966 the Calgary Herald building was reclad in white marble, destroying the beautiful terra cotta and brick facade underneath.

Before:

Calgary Heritage

After:

From CPL

The existing building is in the process of being torn down to make way for a proposed 50 storey Brookfield office tower.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:57 AM
I am a typical

To be honest, I prefer the old design of our city hall. It didn't use the best materials, but it was a better representation of what government tries to achieve: Clarity and stability. The new design is just a messy jumble of flash that obscures what is going on inside it. It's also harder to find the door. I honestly think the designed the original without doors and then thought "Shit! We forgot the door!" and just stuck one door on either side of the Darth Vader's Mask attachment.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Another renovation is our City Hall:

I think it was better before.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 2:15 AM
I am a typical

Another issue with that design is that the bricks have seams all over the place, you can't really tell but vertical lines cut through the wall and it just looks like poor workmanship.

The design is by a local architect that really doesn't design anything worth looking at. We have better firms but I guess that one was the lowest bidder. The building has a history of that though: the concrete columns that were supposed to support two more floors were turning to dust during the renovation.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The Fortis Building in downtown St. John's is also to be reclad, I believe. And if ANYONE KNOWS what they're doing to that TD Building, PLEASE tell me. What a mess that site is. It reminds me of Bridge over the Drina, by Ivo Andric (he won the Nobel Prize for Literature for it). In one passage he's describing how the Slavic townsfolk in this little Bosnian town reacted to the construction of a giant, Ottoman bridge in the 1500s. And the part that made me laugh was his description of all the scaffolding that went up, the dust, the noise, etc. And he ends this pages-long description of the construction site with, more or less, "And this mess that arose on both banks of the Drina river looked, to the townsfolk, like anything they could imagine. But not a bridge."
They're replacing the brick on the building. Once done it'll be closer to a grey brick than the current red/brown. Whether or not it'll look better than it does now will remain to be seen, but the color will somewhat match up with the attached 4-storey building to the west which has recently been painted to match the TD Place reclad. Once that's done, as well as the new fortis office building, fortis will reclad its old office though I do have to admit that I do like their current office, if they could place windows and detail along the west side so it wasn't just concrete it would be much better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada