HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 5:14 AM
So very tired...

Haven't seen Blue Buck by Phillips out of Victoria mentioned yet. It's my new current favourite. Also drink lots of Granville Island Pale, Big Rock Grasshopper and Traditional, Fin du Monde, Okanagan Springs Pale, and Kieths at places with crappy selection.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 2:45 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Confirmed. I saw it at my local MLCC store on Saturday in some kind of vaguely retro-looking can.

Given what a huge seller Coors Light is in this country, I couldn't understand why the original version wasn't available.
I know what I'm drinking tonight.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 3:23 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Haven't seen Blue Buck by Phillips out of Victoria mentioned yet. It's my new current favourite. Also drink lots of Granville Island Pale, Big Rock Grasshopper and Traditional, Fin du Monde, Okanagan Springs Pale, and Kieths at places with crappy selection.
I enjoyed Blue Buck this summer as well as Bowen Island Deep 6 lager and honey brown, and various Howe Sound Brewery offerings.
Bowen Island Beer is produced in Vancouver and I can buy it at Calgary Co-op liquor stores.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 4:18 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsbackincanada View Post

Cheers....... Is McAuslans/St Ambroise still around??

Of course! At least in Quebec it is.

This beer should be marketed around the world.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 5:06 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
I've had Blue Buck in Edmonton before at a couple of places, and I've seen it in a couple of liquor stores in Edmonton. Pretty good stuff.

As far as mainstream beers are concerned, I'll go for Rickard's Red, Sleeman's Honey Brown or Moosehead. Big Rock Trad and Grasshopper are also fine with me.

Also, I go for Charlie Flint's Lager or Full Moon Pale Ale, both from Alley Kat Brewing - and also hard to find outside Edmonton and Northern Alberta.

I also like quite like some of the stuff from Unibroue, especially Maudite and La Fin Du Monde.

Also try Mad Tom IPA from Muskoka if you haven't already. Same goes for Twice As Mad Tom IPA.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 7:57 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I don't even buy beer. Haven't for many years now. I brew my own!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Of course! At least in Quebec it is.

This beer should be marketed around the world.
thnx for the response!! !It is a great beer, do not think it is in Minnesota anymore!!

Even in the US, COors Light, outsells Coors orig. 10 to 1,( I am guestimating), but we would generally sell 8 to 10 cases of Light a week , to every case or 2 of Coors!! Of course that can vary greatly, but I often commented on it with distirbuters, and the Light has become there Flagship if you will!!???

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 8:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsbackincanada View Post
thnx for the response!! !It is a great beer, do not think it is in Minnesota anymore!!

Even in the US, COors Light, outsells Coors orig. 10 to 1,( I am guestimating), but we would generally sell 8 to 10 cases of Light a week , to every case or 2 of Coors!! Of course that can vary greatly, but I often commented on it with distirbuters, and the Light has become there Flagship if you will!!???
I am not sure even sure they sell Coors here in Quebec, though they do seem to sell a lot Coors Light - seems to be a cheap, low-brow beer. They sure do a lot of marketing for it - banners in bars, etc.

Not too far from my place:

http://gatineau2009.skyrock.com/phot...ticle_media=-1

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:34 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I don't even buy beer. Haven't for many years now. I brew my own!
Double

I used to brew my own however with the advance of craft brews, changes in my living conditions and the emergence of my nephew becoming a pretty capable brewer I stopped doing it - though I do miss it. Fortunately he has built a couple refrigerated storage areas with CO2 such that he has at least 4 brews on tap when I visit.

What I am into now is growing my own hops - I'm currently harvesting and drying crops of this year's Fuggles and Saaz crops and the Cascades are packaged and waiting to get delivered. Normally I'll package about 4-6 Kgs that then get used to make family recipes. Home grown hops are certainly fresher and appear to add more complexity to the aromas than commercial hops, though it's tough to tell the difference in the flavouring.

Do you focus on special types of beers??

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:36 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I know what I'm drinking tonight.
I expect it will be the same in Edmonton, but here in Calgary, Coors Banquet is nearly 50% more expensive than Coors Light.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not sure even sure they sell Coors here in Quebec, though they do seem to sell a lot Coors Light ...
Somehow you guys got lucky! "
Quote:
The beer will be available across the country, except in Quebec."

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:46 PM
sick transit, gloria

Speaking of hops, the biggest bullshit beer in my opinion is Keith's. Stop selling your slightly-flavoured lager at import prices by claiming it's an IPA. It's not. Their other short-lived speciality beers were even worse - a "stout" that was a lager with food colouring and added flavour? ok.

Keith's is basically the Mumford and Sons of beers (that's not a compliment).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Ontario has probably the worst beer retailing experience in the civilized world.
And judging from the Big Ten list, probably the worst taste in beer. Coors fucking light is a vile brew. Bud might be worse still. Labatt has utterly abandoned marketing its own brands. I live in London (hometown of Labatt), and it is Budweiser this and that everyfuckingwhere. Just got back from Montreal....at least you see that Molson still promotes its own brands (even if I dislike the liquid air that is Molson Canadian)

schoolhousecraftbeer
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I hate the Beer Store.

Here is their Big Ten list:
http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/big-10-brands

Listen to this drivel:

Quote:

Coors Light

Brewer: MOLSON
Alcohol Content (ABV): 4%
Type of Beer: Light

Brewed according to the high quality standards of the Coors Brewing Company, Golden, Colorado, U.S.A. Aged slowly for that legendary ice cold, easy drinking taste that could only come from a brewing tradition born in the Rockies.
In a can with mountains that turn blue when it is 0.5 Celsius above zero: to freeze your tastebuds. The "beer" has no flavor when cold, and tastes wretched when tepid. Brewed in giant cisterns the size of Olympic swimming pools with municipal tap water thousands of miles from the Rockies, with corn/barley/wheat/rice or whatever is cheapest grain, then rapidly processed with chemicals to provide clarity, preservation, and artificial foamy head. Serve ice cold in a can in order so as to completely avoid any semblance of a beer drinking experience.

Quote:
What little "marketing" does happen at the Beer Store likewise only serves to help the big guys. The "Ice Cold Express" for example, that wall of refrigerated beer, is really just a showcase of brewers with a willingness to shell out some more money for the right to be there (and guess who has that kind of dough to spend?).

Other "marketing" measures like "The Big Ten," that list of The Beer Stores' top sellers, also serve to further compound the problem by helping the big guys continue to push their own brands--because they are already the best-selling beers.

Ever see "Ten Ontario Beers You Should Try" or "Ten Great Craft IPAs" listed at The Beer Store? Not bloody likely, and you probably won't any time soon.

The Beer Store is a wildly successful monopoly wherein the three biggest players in the market are somehow being allowed to not only dictate the terms by which their smaller competition gets to enter the biggest outlet for their products but actually force them to pay for the right to do so!
http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2012..._why_it_sucks/

Word.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:54 PM
sick transit, gloria

The Beer Store is atrocious for sure. The LCBO has actually done a pretty decent job promoting craft beer, local and otherwise. Any decent location has an "Ontario craft beer" section now too. There's a reason most local brewers skip the beer store entirely and exclusively market out of the LCBO and their own locations.

Unless I'm lazy and want some Old Milwaukee I generally only go to the Beer Store to return empties, then walk the extra 5 minutes down the street to the nearest LCBO and spend that money on something better.

The new Beer Store formats are marginally better, I guess. But they still focus heavily on the big 3 - most of the "craft" beers are subsidiaries of these larger companies.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 1:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
This 50 is for Harls, and I will keep it a secret, I'll even re-size the image to a small non noticeable size.

www.theworldofgord.com
I have a soft spot for 50, even though I mostly drink European beer and Canadian Craft Beer labels.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 1:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Somehow you guys got lucky! "
But we do have Lucky Lager!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 2:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Blue is my golfing beer. Usually that's the best of what the beer cart girl has in her cooler. I don't mind it.
they used to make blue exclusivly down the river from me

u of my archives circa 1982 http://wbi.lib.umanitoba.ca/Winnipeg...ing.jsp?id=345

and the other brewery we used to have downtown across the street from the ledguslative building

u of my ARCHIVES http://wbi.lib.umanitoba.ca/Winnipeg...ing.jsp?id=597
burnt down in 72

was rplaced by the older drewry one down the river from me that was built 40yrs befor the labatts brewery witch open in 1920

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 2:29 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
I expect it will be the same in Edmonton, but here in Calgary, Coors Banquet is nearly 50% more expensive than Coors Light.
I think I paid $25 for a 12 pack last night. I bought it at one of the cheaper places downtown too (the kind of place where lucky and boxer out number all other types). The lady working there said it's only been available for a month and they struggle to keep it in stock.

I would have paid $125.

Same great tasts I remember from my last sip 12 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I have a soft spot for 50, even though I mostly drink European beer and Canadian Craft Beer labels.
Yeah, that's how I feel? It always sticks out in my mind when I think about beer and what I used to drink..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada