HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 12:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Online buddy in Liverpool (he's never been here) said he was reading Jan Morris' description of St. John's in a travel book and it made him even more intrigued. I knew the cute "primitive San Francisco" quote that someone shared with me here, and that she considered us the most entertaining town on the continent, but not much more so I Googled.

First hit reminded me how far we've come.

My kind of town: St John's, Newfoundland

Quote:
Neither convincingly Canadian nor legally Irish, St John's occupies the rough waters between. It's infectiously ebullient (Jan Morris once said the city hits you like a slap in the face with a fish).

Where are your favourite places for lunch?

Tricky if you want to avoid the deep fried or heavily gravied. However, you can't go wrong with the seafood at The Gypsy Tearoom (195 Water Street; 739 4766) or Celtic Hearth (298 Water Street; 576 2880).
If you want an English pub with a Newfoundland accent, go to The Duke of Duckworth (325 Duckworth Street; 739 6344).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...foundland.html

That was in 2005. Only a decade ago. And it was true. Things changed so, so fast. Those three places I would describe as basically Irish/British greasy spoons. Typical pub fare. And that was our best then.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 10:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Twelfth done is DONE. NO MORE CHRISTMAS FEASTS. Everything comes down now. Finished. Thanks be to Christ. That was a LONG Christmas. Too much food.

Anyhow...

Back to Soul Azeteka tonight. I've probably been there at least 4 times a week since it opened. So good, and not that expensive. You'll spend about $20 to get three tacos, a side, salsa, and a drink.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jan 6, 2017 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 1:50 AM
BANNED

^ oh, that looks lovely!. I wonder if that is the first authentic Mexican restaurants on the east coast.
I love Mexican food, especially fish tacos, I bet fish tacos there would be fresh from the sea maybe
Out of the couple dozen or so El Salvador, Mex or Tex Mex restaurants in Saskatoon, most of them are chain franchises like Taco Time or Mucho Burrito, But Las Palapas, Mi Casa & La Bamba, EE Burrito are my 4 favorites that I have tried.

When ever I have vegan friends come to town I usually take them to Nosh Eatery. http://www.nosheateryandtap.com/
It has some of the best locally sourced ingredient dishes

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 11:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We checked out the Fifth Ticket tonight. They're like an elevated pub - relatively cheap meals with almost all local ingredients (they advertise strongly as both), and good!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:04 AM
sick transit, gloria

^That looks really good! But whoa the prices are insane even for Toronto. I shouldn't be surprised after reading SSP Canada though!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 10:17 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There are lots of things under $15, though. But yeah I should have noted the $25-35 things are not "ooh cheap!" here either lol

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 4:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Tried out RJ Pinoy Yum. I read that Filipinos are one of the fastest-growing immigrant communities in the city and realized I can't recall every meeting one, having their food, etc. An invisible presence, at least in my own experience. Google to the rescue. Found a Filipino restaurant in a strip mall in one of the worst parts of the town. But it was delicious! Similar to the Taiwanese tea house.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 8:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Over to Mom's tonight for homemade curry and she gave me her review of Raymond's. She went for a friend's birthday party.

"Overrated. She's describing this appetizer and the words she was using sure it might've been coming from the moon but by the time it arrived I think I got three pine nuts. For my entree I had fish and it was fine. Only poached and it came with six or seven little pierogy things, those pasta things that have potato but aren't gnocchi. The reduction was green but very nice. I enjoyed that. But I make better at home and I left hungry." lol

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Over to Mom's tonight for homemade curry and she gave me her review of Raymond's. She went for a friend's birthday party.

"Overrated. She's describing this appetizer and the words she was using sure it might've been coming from the moon but by the time it arrived I think I got three pine nuts. For my entree I had fish and it was fine. Only poached and it came with six or seven little pierogy things, those pasta things that have potato but aren't gnocchi. The reduction was green but very nice. I enjoyed that. But I make better at home and I left hungry." lol
Curry in Newfoundland - savoury/spicy or sweet?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 11:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Same as anywhere else at proper curries/Indian places. In people's private homes, in my experience, tends to be sweet and very runny - not much thicker than water. Never chalky.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:00 AM
BANNED

One of My favourite dining experiences in Saskatoon is Samurai hibachi-style Japanese restaurant.
But Saboroso Brazilian restaurant which has been open for a few years now in Saskatoon is another favourite & was listed in top ten all-you-can-eat restaurants in Canada back in January.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/dining-out...-wrapped-steak

Video Link

for a breakdown on how the rodizio-style restaurant operates with gaúcho servers and view of the huge kitchen bbq view the youtube video on their website.

http://www.saboroso.ca/content/

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 4:42 AM
BANNED

Congratulations to Saskatoon’s Black Fox Farm & Distillery win at the World Gin Awards in London, UK, in April making this the first time a Canadian distiller has won at the awards.

http://www.barandbeverage.com/news-r...rld-gin-awards

http://www.worldginawards.com/winner...in-awards-2017

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's not open yet, but we're finally getting a proper (not a $30/bowl special) ramen place.

best image hosting free

I can't wait to try it!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:45 AM
Registered Drug User

There are some real jerk restaurant owners out there.

Quote:
'Deeply regretful' Susur Lee to reimburse workers after illegally docking tips at his eateries

World-renowned chef and reality TV star Susur Lee has told his employees he has changed a system at his restaurants that illegally forced them to hand over a portion of their tips to pay for common mistakes, and he has promised to reimburse staff after workers at his eateries blasted the policy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...logy-1.4265403
There was a guy with a little restaurant here who would hire one or two kids to chop vegetables and wait tables in the summer. One day he happened to mention to me that all the tips got saved up to pay for machines that broke down due to employee error. So the kids didn't get any of the tips.

I was surprised at that. I didn't know anything about the law at the time, but it seemed unethical to me. Turns out it really was against the law.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

There was a guy with a little restaurant here who would hire one or two kids to chop vegetables and wait tables in the summer. One day he happened to mention to me that all the tips got saved up to pay for machines that broke down due to employee error. So the kids didn't get any of the tips.

I was surprised at that. I didn't know anything about the law at the time, but it seemed unethical to me. Turns out it really was against the law.
I think it was only made illegal (in Ontario) last year.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 12:59 PM
sick transit, gloria

The restaurant business can be extremely shitty. None of these things surprise me, and it happens more often than one may think, unfortunately. Family restaurants can be notorious for having the owners pocket all the tips.

Also happened recently in Toronto: http://globalnews.ca/news/3685820/po...rk-conditions/

Reading between the lines, and from what I've heard from people in the industry it was largely a woefully untrained kitchen staff. Which of course is the employers fault at the end of the day.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto...onditions.html

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post

I'll go out of my way to avoid any restaurant, bar, or other business which takes tips away from the people who earn it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 4:02 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I think it was only made illegal (in Ontario) last year.
Ah, so it wasn't technically illegal at the time. Still, though, my estimation of this heretofore seemingly reasonable and personable person I'd gotten to know casually as a customer soured after that. And the place is now closed anyway. It was never all that successful because the food wasn't anything special.

Stratford has a pecking order when it comes to restaurants: there's high-falutin' for well-heeled theatre-goers; established, staid and somewhat stately for more traditional theatre-goers; innovative and interesting plus a limited sprinkling of "ethnic" for more adventurous theatre-goers and artsy locals; and diners and chains for everyone else just like in any other standard southern Ontario city/town.

The food has to be good for those first three categories. The tip-hoarder wasn't up to snuff. Karma, I think it was.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 5:21 PM

The good news is that they may all soon be earning $15 per hour and we won't have to tip anymore! Wait.... what!?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 3:43 AM
BANNED

'Canada's Hottest New Food City Is Where You'd Least Expect It'

An interesting article showcasing Saskatoon’s fine dining culture in Food and Wine magazine, featuring the city to as many as two million readers.

http://www.foodandwine.com/travel/sa...-new-food-city

Former runway model Christie Peters and co-chef Kyle Michael cooked in renowned kitchens like Coi in San Francisco and De Kas in Amsterdam before returning back to Saskatoon.

Video Link

Chef Dale MacKay previously training with Gordon Ramsay in London, serving as Daniel Boulud’s executive chef and becoming Top Chef Canada’s inaugural winner.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada