HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:01 AM

Haha I think it's more like this, or at least every house within the yellow line is over $3 million

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:55 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
West End = West End!

Don't really see any similarities here... For one, Toronto's west end is far too broad of an area, but also the Gay Village & vicinity makes an almost perfect analogue to Vancouver's west end. 60s/70s infill high-rises in an older area, densest part of the city, central location but surprisingly affordable, low slung but vibrant retail strips, leafy residential streets, and both are the centre of their city's gay community.

I'd also add uptown Yonge corridor = Broadway corridor. And downtown eastside = downtown eastside.

Overall I don't think Vancouver and Toronto are particularly similar cities, but to echo what some others have said, it's interesting how easily comparable some of these neighbourhoods are and their similarity in reference to their place within each city.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:10 AM

I don't think Vancouver and Toronto are, in general, similar.

Toronto has completely different architecture and everything in Toronto is brick while everything in Vancouver is wood or stucco. Also Toronto has a huge number of row houses and Vancouver hardly has any at all. Toronto has thousands of houses in the downtown area whereas Vancouver probably has 30 at most. Vancouver has it's inlet like Lake Ontario but Toronto has many river valleys.........in case you didn't know Toronto actually is an indigenous word for "the meeting place" due to the number of rivers that converge in the area.

Certainly there are some areas that are similar but that is true of all cities. It's an interesting conversation but I don't really think they are very similar in the built form.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
This map is well done , dleung. Very cool.

I know it's nitpicking, but port Credit and Mineola is just as high end as Oakville. Similar large lots and homes without the rediculous Oakville premium price tag. I supposed North Van has areas with similar lot sizes and conservation areas? I think the price range and demographics is more like West Van.

The port credit "downtown" is also smaller and less urban than North Van. Maybe Portcredit is larger version of Horseshoe bay?

Also, Fraserview should be shifted farther north near the Princess Gardens neighborhood. Edenbridge and Thorncrest (where you placed fraserview) is more like higher end/larger lot parts of Vancouver's west side or Caulfield.

On the other hand, the built form of the Annex (or Church street area like you put on the map) is strikingly similar to the West End. You nailed that along with Kitsilano, East Van & Capitol Hill.

Also, Bridal Path is only really comparable to Southlands. Its lots are way bigger than those in West Van. West Van is probably more like York Mills.
Just noticed this post. Yeah, Southlands is the only true comparable to Bridle Path. I didn't make a distinction in West Van, between British Properties, Caulfield, Altamont, etc - the western neighbourhoods with the rugged lots would be similarly "naturalized" despite the smaller size, while the eastern neighbourhoods would be more like Oakville. York Mills is just a former upper middle-class suburb like North Vancouver that's been extremely gentrified, similar to Richmond.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Just noticed this post. Yeah, Southlands is the only true comparable to Bridle Path. I didn't make a distinction in West Van, between British Properties, Caulfield, Altamont, etc - the western neighbourhoods with the rugged lots would be similarly "naturalized" despite the smaller size, while the eastern neighbourhoods would be more like Oakville. York Mills is just a former upper middle-class suburb like North Vancouver that's been extremely gentrified, similar to Richmond.
Generally, Id agree. I'll have to look to see if North Van has any large lot areas like St Andrews-Windfields. Windfields is like a lesser known Bridle Path without all the gawkers.

I guess you could say Richmond is a mix of a gentrified Burnaby (less greenery than North Van or most of York Mills) and 1990s Markham-esque suburban tract housing/townhomes and condos?

Similar developers and heavily asian population, the only difference is 1990-present Markham favors faux historicism and car-centrism while Richmond favors more pedestrian friendly street level and nicer landscaping.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:38 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't think Vancouver and Toronto are, in general, similar.

Toronto has completely different architecture and everything in Toronto is brick while everything in Vancouver is wood or stucco. Also Toronto has a huge number of row houses and Vancouver hardly has any at all. Toronto has thousands of houses in the downtown area whereas Vancouver probably has 30 at most. Vancouver has it's inlet like Lake Ontario but Toronto has many river valleys.........in case you didn't know Toronto actually is an indigenous word for "the meeting place" due to the number of rivers that converge in the area.

Certainly there are some areas that are similar but that is true of all cities. It's an interesting conversation but I don't really think they are very similar in the built form.
Toronto wasn't derived from a word meaning "meeting place." That's just folklore.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:44 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I like how everybody correctly placed Jane/Finch as Whalley (Sorry City Centre). I worked in Whalley for years and it is truly the armpit of the Lower Mainland.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Generally, Id agree. I'll have to look to see if North Van has any large lot areas like St Andrews-Windfields. Windfields is like a lesser known Bridle Path without all the gawkers.

I guess you could say Richmond is a mix of a gentrified Burnaby (less greenery than North Van or most of York Mills) and 1990s Markham-esque suburban tract housing/townhomes and condos?

Similar developers and heavily asian population, the only difference is 1990-present Markham favors faux historicism and car-centrism while Richmond favors more pedestrian friendly street level and nicer landscaping.
Richmond hasn't been gentrified as much as ethnic ghettoized.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:27 AM

^^lol when Richmond was poor and white it wasn't a ghetto. Only now that it's rich and Asian.

Richmond has very little to do with the 905 built form. The last bit of tract housing was in the 90's filling in the last corner of the west side (Terra Nova) - maybe a hundred houses. Everything in the last 20 years is infill.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:14 AM

Quote:
^^lol when Richmond was poor and white it wasn't a ghetto. Only now that it's rich and Asian.
Richmond was never particularly poor (nor particularly rich). It's always been more middle class than anything else. The east side of Vancouver was always more poor than Richmond.

That being said, I think ethnic ghetto is a bit harsh. A more accurate term would be ethnic enclave.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I like how everybody correctly placed Jane/Finch as Whalley (Sorry City Centre). I worked in Whalley for years and it is truly the armpit of the Lower Mainland.
Haha. Sounds like you've been around the block in this neck of the woods.

Resided in Steveston (Richmond). Resided in Osoyoos (My 2nd home - BTW what the hay was that all about?!). Worked in Whalley. Ouch!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:19 AM

Quote:

Richmond has very little to do with the 905 built form. The last bit of tract housing was in the 90's filling in the last corner of the west side (Terra Nova) - maybe a hundred houses. Everything in the last 20 years is infill.
LOL, Richmond was never "poor and white", as was pointed out to you. Sure it may not have been filled with little label queens tottering around on their stilettos out to their 3 series, but it was never poor.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:37 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Haha. Sounds like you've been around the block in this neck of the woods.

Resided in Steveston (Richmond). Resided in Osoyoos (My 2nd home - BTW what the hay was that all about?!). Worked in Whalley. Ouch!
Amazing coincidences. I lived in Steveston for 4 years, in Vancouver for one year, in some shitpicker town halfway between Vernon and Kelowna for a year, and also, half a year in Osoyoos.

Worked in Whalley for a total of 3.5 years spread over a 5 year period. Right on East Whalley Ringworm Road. mid-late 90s. It was very dicey back then. I saw things.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I agree, theres no argument Asians are richer in general. They make middle class whites look poverty tier lol. But don't the filthy rich chinese live in Shaughnessy, southland's and British properties? It's been 3 years since I've been in Vancouver and it's only to visit my mom. My idea of settlement patterns is probably dated and blurred.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:44 PM
recession proof

Where do the young people from small town BC live when they move to Vancouver?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The old city of Gatineau (not the merged megacity that includes Hull, Aylmer, etc.) is kind of a hybrid of Longueuil and Laval.

Lucky us!
I've already heard that Gatineau feels like Laval and I get it, suburb develop around the same time. However, I don't know much about Longueil, in what way is it like Gatineau?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 5:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post
I've already heard that Gatineau feels like Laval and I get it, suburb develop around the same time. However, I don't know much about Longueil, in what way is it like Gatineau?
Gatineau has older core areas like Longueuil does, whereas Laval has almost none.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Amazing coincidences. I lived in Steveston for 4 years, in Vancouver for one year, in some shitpicker town halfway between Vernon and Kelowna for a year, and also, half a year in Osoyoos.

Worked in Whalley for a total of 3.5 years spread over a 5 year period. Right on East Whalley Ringworm Road. mid-late 90s. It was very dicey back then. I saw things.
And since TO has no historic fishing villages, there's no comparable there to my neighbourhood.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
And since TO has no historic fishing villages, there's no comparable there to my neighbourhood.
Rough contemporary similarity: Port Credit.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 8:41 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
^^lol when Richmond was poor and white it wasn't a ghetto. Only now that it's rich and Asian..
Richmond is the officially the poorest suburb in Vancouver. Can't have your tax evasion both ways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada