HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 12:24 AM

Fun thread considering I grew up in Ontario and now live in the Lower Mainland.

One thing I find different is the renovate vs. demolish. Very rare to see demolitions take place in Toronto or the GTA unless you are upzoning. Demo/Rebuilds without rezoning is very common in Metro Vancouver, and some things that are being demolished just for the sake of allowing a new custom home is incredible. I'd say Vancouver and South Surrey have the best examples.

Here's a good Surrey example:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.20013...7i13312!8i6656 Compare the house in the middle to the ones on either side.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 3:59 AM

Another thing is Vancouver doesn't seem to have any really affluent outer suburbs and exurbs comparable to Richmond Hill, Aurora etc. (though West Van is similar to Oakville in many respects it's clearly an inner suburb).

In other words the eastern and southern suburbs are akin to Peel and Durham regions; there's no "York Region" equivalent.

Last edited by Docere; May 16, 2016 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:13 AM

^^South Surrey/White rock is relatively affluent, but it's more wealthy seniors than young families.

Updated inner city maps

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:29 AM

I think Commercial Drive/Roncesvalles is an excellent comparison. Hipster-strollervilles with a similar scale and feel on the "main street."

I also see how Broadway (and the Fairview/South Granville neighborhood) is kind of like a low-rise Yonge and Eglinton.

West Vancouver is an odd hodgepodge though. What's Leslieville doing over there?

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:14 PM

Perhaps Mount Pleasant = South Riverdale/Riverside/Leslieville (?)

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 6:04 PM

My Toronto psychogeography is a little out of date. The Junction and Bloorcourt village were the vanguards of Hipsterism when I left around 2010, but things are probably different now.

The hipster front in Vancouver has moved to Hastings-Sunrise, but, really, hipsters are not a gentrifying force here and, frankly, the hipster phenomenon has really died down in recent years.

The rental market in Vancouver is relatively decoupled from location efficiency. A 1 BR in the West End isn't that much different, pricewise, from a 1 BR in Marpole or Hastings-Sunrise. Of course, renting out someone's 1 BR condo in Coal Harbour or Yaletown will be extremely pricey, but that's a totally different kettle of fish.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:00 PM

The Toronto hipster map lines up very closely with Olivia Chow's vote for mayor in 2014.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 7:14 PM

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:56 AM

Just curious... a lot of Vancouver neighbourhoods outside of the peninsula and Gastown/LES have wide commercial arterials similar in scale to Port Credit or Avenue Rd north of Lawrence (to compare to the Toronto area). The small stretch of Commercial St. (not Drive) bucks this trend, are there others?

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 1:18 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
My Toronto psychogeography is a little out of date. The Junction and Bloorcourt village were the vanguards of Hipsterism when I left around 2010, but things are probably different now.
Bloorcourt and Bloordale are still kind of on the edge, although they have come a LONG way since 2010. It's moved further northwest into the Junction Triangle as well. The Junction proper is turning into more of a yoga mom and stroller set neighbourhood, although there certainly are specific bars and restaurants. Dundas west continues to expand and the focus has shifted away from Ossington to Dufferin or so, and there's spillover onto College with a number of new restaurants and bars.

I'd say the vanguard now can be found in areas like Geary avenue which is getting new venues / bars / art spaces and other small pockets of more dilapidated industrial retail space in the inner city. New breweries and taprooms have opened up or are planning on opening on Sterling Rd, the Junction triangle, Geary Ave and in a year there will be a number in close proximity in the industrial part of the stockyards area. Basically things are seeking out the last bastions of cheap rent with larger spaces that exist in the inner city.

The East End has it's own thing going on and Gerrard street has potential to be one of the next big things. We're getting a new brewpub by one of the former brewmasters at Dieu Du Ciel! at Gerrard and Coxwell which will be interesting. Queen E has come a long way since 2010 with more of a focus on low key restaurants and cocktail bars - it has a good vibe.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 2:39 PM

Quote:
I left in 2014 and it was pretty much the same. It's pretty rife throughout the entire west end, but Parkdale and the stretch of Bloor from Ossington to Lansdowne, especially around Dufferin, seemed to be the epicentres.

Just before I left, a trendy faux-rustic brunch place opened on Jane Street. It's amazing how that shit just keeps pushing westward into the Etobicoke hinterlands rather than leap the Don in a serious way.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I left in 2014 and it was pretty much the same. It's pretty rife throughout the entire west end, but Parkdale and the stretch of Bloor from Ossington to Lansdowne, especially around Dufferin, seemed to be the epicentres.

Just before I left, a trendy faux-rustic brunch place opened on Jane Street. It's amazing how that shit just keeps pushing westward into the Etobicoke hinterlands rather than leap the Don in a serious way.
That's because west is best.

You can keep going west (to Mississauga) because the old grained urbanity extends to Long Branch. Mind you this is all near the lake, anything north of Queensway is deep suburbia except for Bloor.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 3:01 PM
sick transit, gloria

There's actually a decent amount East of the Don it's just a bit more of an older crowd, more low-key and spread out. Leslieville and Riverside are the big ones, but there are actually quite a few places on Danforth east of Greektown (such as the Wren and Only Cafe). And as I said Gerrard could take off and has had a few noteworthy things open recently. Also one-offs like Left Field Brewery which is in a non-descript laneway off Greenwood in a great old industrial building:

National Post

I personally like the vibe in the East End and go there whenever I have a chance.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 5:11 PM

Remember that the west end of Toronto has about twice the population as the east end.

In many respects they mirror each other (think High Park and the Beaches, Queen West and Queen East) but the east is generally on a smaller scale than the west.

Toronto doesn't have the east/west split that Vancouver (or Montreal) has. In Van the traditionally wealthy neighborhoods and long "arrived" gentrified neighborhoods (i.e. Kitsilano - filled with the type of people who would live in the Annex or the Beaches if they lived in Toronto) are on the west side; the less affluent, hipster and "up and coming"/early stage gentrification neighborhoods are on the east side.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think it's access to other hipster areas/artists that matters, not access to downtown, which is why it continues to creep west rather than balance out with some east side representation.

I knew some people in the arts community (real artists) and many of them rarely ventured east of Spadina.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I think it's access to other hipster areas/artists that matters, not access to downtown, which is why it continues to creep west rather than balance out with some east side representation.

I knew some people in the arts community (real artists) and many of them rarely ventured east of Spadina.
That's probably true. That stuff can sort of gently creep westward, but Spadina/University Avenue is a hard barrier to the east.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 9:15 PM

Still trying to come up with the TO equivalent to Point Grey.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Fun thread considering I grew up in Ontario and now live in the Lower Mainland.

One thing I find different is the renovate vs. demolish. Very rare to see demolitions take place in Toronto or the GTA unless you are upzoning. Demo/Rebuilds without rezoning is very common in Metro Vancouver, and some things that are being demolished just for the sake of allowing a new custom home is incredible. I'd say Vancouver and South Surrey have the best examples.

Here's a good Surrey example:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.20013...7i13312!8i6656 Compare the house in the middle to the ones on either side.
Really? I'd argue Toronto has just as much, if not more big luxury custom homes going up than Vancouver. Google map willowdale, Richvale or almost anywhere between bathurst and yonge - eglinton to Finch.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 11:13 PM

Here's a demo/rebuild in Parkview Hills. Most people even in Toronto haven't heard of the area; it's like a mini Greek version of forest hill. Parkview Hill Crescent

https://goo.gl/maps/FJ83NqFuq2y

Taylor Dr

http://maps.google.com/maps?layer=c&...3.0%2C5.927971

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Really? I'd argue Toronto has just as much, if not more big luxury custom homes going up than Vancouver. Google map willowdale, Richvale or almost anywhere between bathurst and yonge - eglinton to Finch.
Toronto has a lot of this, but the city is much bigger and it's much more confined. Even better, it's confined to a part of town that is very desirable, but not necessarily more accessible, historic or desired by people who are interested in urban lifestyles. If a bungalow is demolished at Bathurst and Wilson, do urbanists make a sound?

It's sort of a stroke of luck that so much of Toronto's urban, lower density areas are made up of semi-detached homes on fee simple lots. Physically and economically, it's much more difficult to tear down a semi and replace it with something that's much bigger. Buying out two people, consolidating the lots and putting up a large home seems like it's not worth the Herculean effort.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada