HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 5:02 PM

The winds of change are blowing and they just might transform Montreal

JOSH FREED, SPECIAL TO MONTREAL GAZETTE
Published on: April 29, 2016

We live in a city largely frozen in time, where nothing much ever changes dramatically, at least since the days of Expo 67 (let’s just forget the Olympics).

So it’s astonishing to see so many good changes swirling in the air recently — huge projects that could transform Montreal in ways we can’t really imagine.

(full article)

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post

We live in a city largely frozen in time, where nothing much ever changes dramatically, at least since the days of Expo 67 (let’s just forget the Olympics).

So it’s astonishing to see so many good changes swirling in the air recently — huge projects that could transform Montreal in ways we can’t really imagine.

(full article)
Transformation? Sounds like a lot of hyperbole.

He hopes that the St Catherine reno doesn't turn out to be a botch job like St Denis has. It likely will. A news report yesterday stated that a number of St Denis stores are not renewing their leases. Well that certainly is a transformation

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew6 View Post

He hopes that the St Catherine reno doesn't turn out to be a botch job like St Denis has. It likely will. A news report yesterday stated that a number of St Denis stores are not renewing their leases. Well that certainly is a transformation
la rue Ste-Catherine est accessible par le réseau souterrain. Ce sont des commerces qui ont un online store, sur St-Denis ce sont des petits commerçants qui ne peuvent pas prendre beaucoup de contre-coups.

De toute façon il faut refaire la rue Ste-Catherine, tu suggères quoi ? J'aime mieux être optimiste et positif que de vivre dans le pessimisme qui ne sert à rien.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:

(full article)
he says, ''if just half of these projects happen'' ,

tous les projets vont se réaliser car ils sont tous en constructions à l'heure actuelle.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:

So I guess you're one of the cynics he refered to in his column. I, for one, am really excited by everythings happening in this town. It's way overdue and it will transform the city massively.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 6:03 PM

Quote:
So I guess you're one of the cynics he refered to in his column. I, for one, am really excited by everythings happening in this town. It's way overdue and it will transform the city massively.
I actually think that most of the items listed in the article are a good idea - assuming that they are well done and come in somewhere close to budget.

I am just not sold on the transformation concept.

Montreal's charm and attraction (in my humble opinion) is based on it's pre 50s urban core. These projects will aim to enhance what we already have. I just think that 'transform' is rather an overly dramatic and not accurate a word. Perhaps a minor nitpick on my part.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
I actually think that most of the items listed in the article are a good idea - assuming that they are well done and come in somewhere close to budget.

I am just not sold on the transformation concept.

Montreal's charm and attraction (in my humble opinion) is based on it's pre 50s urban core. These projects will aim to enhance what we already have. I just think that 'transform' is rather an overly dramatic and not accurate a word. Perhaps a minor nitpick on my part.
It's not a concept, the construction will start in spring 2017.

Montréal's infrastructures are what gives the city a bad name.

-new Turcot
-new Champlain
-new Bonaventure
-new port terminal

all under construction

+ the illumination of the Jacques-Cartier bridge

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Exactly, I know even in Calgary some of our new suburbs are starting to return to the grid pattern of planning instead of the endless maze of cul-de-sacs that characterize most suburbs.
That's really encouraging! Which ones specifically? I'd love to see some streetview images of them.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 11:46 AM
video et taceo

Very "old Anglo" lede here, Josh... what about the massive immigration from France, for one thing?

Interesting infrastructure rundown, but seriously, the goddamned Gazette...

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 12:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
Very "old Anglo" lede here, Josh... what about the massive immigration from France, for one thing?

I guess I must be inured to that stuff as I just skipped right over it and did not even notice...

Maybe you and Josh could discuss that over drinks the next time you're in Montreal... something tells me you're at the very least... "acquaintances"!

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 12:16 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Exactly, I know even in Calgary some of our new suburbs are starting to return to the grid pattern of planning instead of the endless maze of cul-de-sacs that characterize most suburbs.
In reality, these new communities are not a true grid pattern but more of a return to a curvilinear pattern. A true grid pattern won't have streets that basically loop back to the same road one exited off which these "new grid" communities have plenty of. Redstone, Skyview Ranch and Saddle Ridge to a lesser extent would be the "new grid" communities.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 12:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Not sure this is the right thread to discuss this in a fulsome way, but I was thinking the other day about Francophonie immigration in general.

Montreal at the moment gets 40-50,000 immigrants a year. I'd estimate about two thirds of them already speak French: people from France, but also from Algeria, Morocco, Lebanon, Haiti, Senegal, Congo, etc. Also people who went to the Lycée Français as a child in Cairo, Pondicherry, Hanoi, etc. and who use that as an "in" to get into a first world country.

That's probably 25,000 people a year, or 250,000 in a decade. Who will very predominantly settle on Montreal island.

So when I say that Montreal is fast turning into a major global hub for the international Francophonie, this is what I am talking about.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 12:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Josh Freed is one the few people worth reading in the Gazoo. It is a good article, actually.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 12:48 PM
Look at me!

Quote:

(full article)
A short, and optimistic run-through of the city's comeback.

Not to get political here but the timing in politics couldn't have been better:

-Federal Libs in Ottawa with a Montrealer at the helm
-Provincial Libs in Quebec City (who for a change, seem to care about Montreal)
-A former federal Liberal cabinet member at City Hall.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 12:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Josh Freed is one the few people worth reading in the Gazoo. It is a good article, actually.
Yeah, I do like Josh. He makes me laugh although this article doesn't have his usual irreverent wit.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:15 PM
video et taceo

It is a good article overall and Josh Freed is a good writer, but seriously, half of corporate Paris could move to Montreal and some of these boomer Anglos would still retain "malaise" as their singular frame of local reference.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:19 PM
video et taceo

Actually, if half of corporate Paris moved in I would expect a resurgence of articles about café life and "In praise of the flâneur"-style bits for the weekend lifestyle insert... and nothing in the business section.

Some of these guys are basically almost Vermonters by now.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:30 PM

Quote:

Does Anglo Montreal see itself benefitting from increase immigration from France? Better croissants for all? The Gazette, diminished as it is, is a pretty accurate reflection of the community it serves, it has always seemed to me.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:34 PM
video et taceo

The community, perhaps, but it's a metropolitan broadsheet in a major city. There is a clear and present argument for a broader mandate. Let the Westmount Suburban concern itself narrowly.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 1:39 PM

Quote:
The community, perhaps, but it's a metropolitan broadsheet in a major city. There is a clear and present argument for a broader mandate. Let the Westmount Suburban concern itself narrowly.
I suppose one could argue anything.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada