HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:09 AM
The New Republic

Is that the beginnings of a downtown McMaster campus or is there already one in that area?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 2:34 AM
It's Hammer Time

This is an addition, there's a McMaster medical campus across from City Hall, brand new. This building has McMaster continuing education and the rest is admin space, Procurement, Finance, Accounts Payable, lawyers, etc.

You can see a crane across the steeet, that's for a new student hi rise. So there's definitely a spill over effect happening.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 5:47 PM

Looks great, love the dark colour palette.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 11:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

First container house built in Hamilton and it's only day one of construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
Been waiting for this one for a while. Looks awesome! Our first container house. I drove by earlier today when the first layer was installed. Looks like they got most of it done in 1 day.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:41 PM

I love it. It's funny how something as simple and kind of ugly like a shipping container can be transformed into something handsome and inviting. I look forward to some pictures when it's completed.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Here's an interesting proposal that was just recently unveiled, the proposal calls for ownership based on raw, unfinished modular units. Once you get the key to your unit you can design it however you wish, more affordable.

I believe this is the first in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Docs and drawings available here: https://www.svnportal.com/468jamesnorth/

Developer is JvN/d and the architect of the building is OfficeArchitecture out of Toronto.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 3:14 PM

I wonder how the cost per sq ft will compare to other Hamilton buildings? It seems like the developer would be giving up a lot of revenue from the unit finishings.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 11:07 PM

This is Portage and Main in Downtown Winnipeg. Pedestrians have been barred from crossing this intersection since the 70's. City council is in the process of funding the dismantling of the concrete barricades to allow pedestrians to access the intersection again as the agreement barring people from crossing the street and forcing them into the underground concourse and mall expires in 2019, after a long 40 years. It's a hotly contested issue most Winnipegers, out of naivety, do not want the intersection open for fear of traffic congestion and pedestrian fatalities. With the anticipation of welcoming back pedestrians, property owners are investing once again at the corner and surrounding area for the first time in over 30 years. A new $160M 42 storey condo tower is under construction with main floor retail, 300 Main has underwent a 30M full facade replacement, an abandoned heritage building is in redevelopment as a new Hyatt Place, a $40M research and innovation centre is under construction a block away, micro apartments with a ground level coffee shop in a renovated heritage building just opened, The concourse under the intersection of 201 Portage underwent a 5M renovation, the Richardsons are in the midst of multi million dollar redevelopment of their plaza, all this and Winnipegers will tell you there is no economic benefit of opening the intersection to pedestrians. There has been alot of progress and momentum over the last 15 years to bring a dead downtown back to life, opening Portage and Main is the next and right step in the evolution of Downtown Winnipeg.

It's frustrating when there is a progressive vision for downtown and the majority oppose it, Winnipeg saw this with the MTS Centre downtown arena and now the NHL jets are back, with the construction of the Esplanade Riel, a pedestrian bridge with a restaurant linking downtown to St. Boniface, now the one of the most popular tourist attractions and with the construction of the Canadian museum of Human Rights, now an internationally praised and top tier Canadian destination.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 11:21 PM

When I was in Winnipeg, I found that underground concourse terribly confusing. I think I came up three times before I got to where I wanted to be.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
When I was in Winnipeg, I found that underground concourse terribly confusing. I think I came up three times before I got to where I wanted to be.
Yes it's terrible for visitors and those with disabilities, it's an embarrassment that needs rectifying.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

Fantastic news...

Fintech leader Q4 chooses Hamilton as ‘vibrant’ launching pad for international expansion
100 staff to be hired for new offices on King Street East in emerging tech hub district

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...nal-expansion/

A software company that serves as the investor backbone for giant global corporations picked downtown Hamilton as the point for an aggressive expansion.

Toronto's Q4 Inc. announced Jan. 21 it is hiring 100 technology workers for its new 9,500-square-foot Gore Park space at 59 King St. E., next door to the development on the former Kresge's block.

"We see Hamilton being a significant part of our global workforce," Dorothy Arturi, Q4 senior vice-president of people and culture, said of an investor relations operation that serves clients such as Apple, Nike and Shopify from offices in Toronto, the U.S., Britain and Denmark.

Approximately 2,200 large publicly listed companies worldwide use Q4 software and data services to help them engage with shareholders, said founder and CEO Darrell Heaps, a York University computer sciences and business graduate who built two other companies before establishing Q4 in 2006.

Q4 has grown rapidly as a private Canadian financial tech company and now provides investor relations analysis tools to 64 per cent of the companies on the Dow Jones and 37 per cent of those on the S&P.

Two-thirds of its clients are U.S.-based, one-third are spread out internationally, and just under 200 are Canadian.

Those companies typically are worth more than $500 million in market capitalization, said Heaps, who described Hamilton as its "centre of excellence for web-based products" to serve a growing list of international clients.

"In Hamilton, it will be highly visual, engaging work and very rewarding because of the pace by which we launch investor sites with the latest technology," Heaps said.

On Q4's quest to broaden to a new location and add a hundred staff to its payroll of 240, the company narrowed its search to a short list that included cities in the U.S., Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

"The driving reason for setting up a second large office in Hamilton was based on the fact that Hamilton is a vibrant location with a great talent pool with proximity to our headquarters in Toronto to move talent between locations," Heaps said.

"It's a city feel without the cost of living in downtown Toronto," said Arturi, noting that "all the boxes were checked" as they reviewed Hamilton as a growth destination.

Judy Lam, Hamilton's manager of commercial districts and small business, recalls the turning point last June when a tour of prospective sites with Q4 officials stopped in on the Core Urban development on King.

"It was an urban vibe that fit their culture," Lam said.

The building is currently under major renovation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
Looking even better with lovely dark black mullions now installed. It's a small and simple detail but so many projects use silver mullions which just look awful comparatively. This afternoon:

Before the renovation

King&James
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=237589

Suppose to look like this when the renovation is done

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada