HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 3, 2017, 11:40 PM

2017 CFL Season

Too soon?? Nah.....

Lots to talk about going into the season and many question marks

BC Lions - New Owner? Do they lose Bighill and others to the NFL, Leone signed with Arizona today. Can they get some crowds back?
Calgary - Can they still be a 15-16 win team, any word on a new stadium or putting some money into McMahon
Edmonton - Some big holes to fill, Deon Lacey is gone, Walker probably too. Does Edmonton bid on the 2018 Grey Cup ?
Saskatchewan - Lots of questions going into season 1 at NMS. Is Durant back, if not who is the guy - James Franklin? Can Chris Jones improve the O and D lines and get some Canadian talent
Winnipeg - Can they build on the momentum and stay in the playoffs, do they sign Nichols for what he wants?
Ottawa - What do they do at QB if Burris wants to come back, can they maintain talent to get back the GC at home, and will it be a big success in the nations capital with the whole Canada 150 etc.
Hamilton - Can Collaros stay healthy (or the rest of the team), who is the new DC?
Montreal - new regime, new coaching staff (does Noel Thorpe stay) can they find a QB (is at Adams, do they make a run at signing Durant?)
Toronto - where to start - lots to fix - Do they keep Milanovich and Barker? If they aren't get on with it. Can they be relevant in TO? Is Drew Willy the answer - what happens with Ricky Ray? Is too much cap space tied up in 2 QBs who are meh?

Will overall attendance go down? Can they schedule help without catering to TSN too much

What else am I missing?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:17 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Love it ! Thanks for starting the thread.
Only 6 months to go.
I'm still stinging from the GC loss.

The news today about Leone to the NFL surprized me.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:27 AM
Ham-burgher

Addition:
What's the next thing the CFL is going to do to try to improve officiating, to not only improve the game, but placate fans of a number of teams upset with a number of apparently bad calls that VP Glen Johnson admitted were bad? Also, will the CFL make further changes to the replay rules to cut back on questionable challenges?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Addition:
What's the next thing the CFL is going to do to try to improve officiating, to not only improve the game, but placate fans of a number of teams upset with a number of apparently bad calls that VP Glen Johnson admitted were bad? Also, will the CFL make further changes to the replay rules to cut back on questionable challenges?
Huge issue. The cure consisting of all the new rules introduced over the past decade but in particular over the past few years are, from a fan standpoint, worse than whatever disease there was previously, and it's a major buzzkill for fans who actually buy tickets to attend games. The CFL needs to confront this fact head on instead of constantly dancing around it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post

The news today about Leone to the NFL surprized me.
It was expected around here. He was poor on FG's, but had an amazing punting average, close to 50 yards both seasons. I can see he him having a Jon Ryan type career int he NFL

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Addition:
Yeah, I missed that, it is a DEFINITE must this off season

I also forgot the fan CFL Fan Week in March in Regina with the combine, players etc. was a great idea. I think the NFL has copied the idea too

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
Toronto - where to start - lots to fix - Do they keep Milanovich and Barker? If they aren't get on with it. Can they be relevant in TO? Is Drew Willy the answer - what happens with Ricky Ray? Is too much cap space tied up in 2 QBs who are meh?
You know more about the Argos then about 99% of the population here. It's hard to get excited about the CFL when Super Bowl is just around the corner.

Go Pats!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 5:29 PM

Love the CFL. Love that this thread has been started.

Hervey seems to find those hidden gems for the Esks the past few years(Lacey, Walker, McCoil, Grymes) who go NFL-bound so don't be surprised if someone else steps it up for the Esks next year and plays lights out. Kenny Ladler and Brandon Zylstra can replace both Lacey and Walker in Edmonton I believe.
I also hope we can keep Franklin but if he wants to start, Sask may be calling him.

Toronto...let's hope we see some turnaround there. I want to see that stadium sold out for game nights. So much potential there, so little desire from the fanbase.

I hope actual bum-in-seats attendance goes up this year. This league needs it badly.

All the BC fans out there, any names being thrown around as to potential buyers of the Lions? I heard the Aquillini's(sp?) at one point but that was awhile ago.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
I also hope we can keep Franklin but if he wants to start, Sask may be calling him.
I hope you guys resign Franklin and force Sask to open up the vault for expired goods (Durant).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2017, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
You know more about the Argos then about 99% of the population here. It's hard to get excited about the CFL when Super Bowl is just around the corner.

Go Pats!
To each his own, but I can't get excited about football (or any other sport) in a foreign country.

On challenges, unless the command centre agrees that the play should be reviewed, there should be a penalty (delay of game) assessed on failed challenges. When the command centre agrees to the review and the challenge fails, then the current loss of time out should be assessed.

I think it will be good for the league if the Eastern Conference is more competitive in 2017.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Love the CFL. Love that this thread has been started.

All the BC fans out there, any names being thrown around as to potential buyers of the Lions? I heard the Aquillini's(sp?) at one point but that was awhile ago.
I have heard Aquilinis too, but I think I would like to have an owner that only have one team to focus on

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 12:13 AM

Adam Bighill is signing with the NO Saints. Hate to see him go to the NFL, but happy for him and know how hard he has worked. Lions will miss him

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post

Go Pats!
Why can't people do both? and be fans of both leagues

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Why can't people do both? and be fans of both leagues
Of course, but I cannot be one of them. The problem is that divided loyalties is holding back the progress of the CFL big time. Too many Canadians look down their noses at their own league and their local team. No wonder the stadiums are not sold out.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 6:04 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Adam Bighill is signing with the NO Saints. Hate to see him go to the NFL, but happy for him and know how hard he has worked. Lions will miss him
Yeah, another day, another Lion signs in the NFL.
Will be fun watching him down there if he can stick.

And Nick Lewis back for another year in Mtl.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I think it will be good for the league if the Eastern Conference is more competitive in 2017.
How can the east constantly be the weak sister year after year? There have been some seasons where the divisions have been roughly on par, but to my mind it seems like the east is usually the also ran group with maybe one legitimate contender team per season. I don't get it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Big loss for the CFL and the Lions but this just means Wally has to go out and find someone to step into that spot. Knowing Wally, he's probably already on the roster somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
How can the east constantly be the weak sister year after year? There have been some seasons where the divisions have been roughly on par, but to my mind it seems like the east is usually the also ran group with maybe one legitimate contender team per season. I don't get it.
It would help if the East quarterbacks were healthy for the entire season.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Big loss for the CFL and the Lions but this just means Wally has to go out and find someone to step into that spot. Knowing Wally, he's probably already on the roster somewhere.
I wonder if they can re-sign Bo Lokombo, if he is ready to take the next step and would be a National to boot

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
I wonder if they can re-sign Bo Lokombo, if he is ready to take the next step and would be a National to boot
That'd be a huge boon for your LB core. Lokombo has been on my radar since he came from Oregon. Obviously a good player as he played his college ball at a well established football school.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada